[mtgnexus] Random Card of the Day - Rishkar, Peema Renegade

materpillar
the caterpillar
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by materpillar » 1 year ago

Huh. I've never seen this in play before but it seems pretty decent. It wouldn't be particularly hard to enable this or recur this. My immediate thought was doing something silly with this and Shirei, Shizo's Caretaker. I'm pretty sure that's an extremely niche case but it's probably really easy to find synergies like that and force your opponents to answer this or give you a creature every turn.

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy
Answers: 1
Pronoun: he / him

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 1 year ago

Seems like a lotta hoops for a Control Magic. Cool art though
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

3drinks
Kaalia's Personal Liaison

Post by 3drinks » 1 year ago

Thursday, July 28th, 2022; Killian, Ink Duelist

Steel Sabotage'ng Orbs of Mellowness since 2011.

I collect Kaalia of the Vast normal-size cards. Do you have any extra taking up space in your binder? Help me grow my collection! :)

WBRKaalia HQ WBR

Toshi
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

Post by Toshi » 1 year ago

3drinks wrote:
1 year ago
Idk if he's great in the 99 anywhere, but being bored by my Kambal, Consul of Allocation deck, i converted it to Killian, Ink Duelist and it is such a fun Aura Voltron commander!
Generous Gift for and never-ending Slaughter are among the most obvious interactions.
Personally i love slapping Light of Promise/Sunbond on it and go crazy with Spirit Link/Vampiric Link/Spirit Loop /Soul Link on top!
Bonus Points for being a fairly inexpensive deck to build.

Hawk
Slayer of Threads

Post by Hawk » 1 year ago

Toshi wrote:
1 year ago
3drinks wrote:
1 year ago
Idk if he's great in the 99 anywhere, but being bored by my Kambal, Consul of Allocation deck, i converted it to Killian, Ink Duelist and it is such a fun Aura Voltron commander!
Generous Gift for and never-ending Slaughter are among the most obvious interactions.
Personally i love slapping Light of Promise/Sunbond on it and go crazy with Spirit Link/Vampiric Link/Spirit Loop /Soul Link on top!
Love that! I agree it's been hard to fathom a place where he'd slot into the 99, but he seems like an extremely fun Orzhov Aggro commander that offers a different line that sort of hybridizes Karlov of the Ghost Council's miracle-gro lifegain shell with Feather, the Redeemed's heroic auras, and adds a dash of "spam efficient removal and obscure old spells like Toshiro Umezawa" to boot. I kept meaning to build him but then my wife fell in love with Lurrus of the Dream-Den as a commander instead of a companion, and I try to have only one deck of each guild/wedge. But he's on the list of commanders to try out for sure. Glad to see this dude has managed to carve himself a path to being in the top 5 most played Orzhov commander since he's just cool and way less toxic/easy-mode than Athreos, God of Passage or Teysa Karlov.

Side-note as I looked at EDHRECs - why on earth is Liesa, Shroud of Dusk the most played Orzhov commander? What am I missing?

3drinks

Toshi wrote:
1 year ago
How does your Killian play with just 34 lands and four ramp cards? Being such a statistically insignificant percent, wouldn't those four slots better served as bulking up your other key areas, rather than maybe seeing a talisman every seven games?
Hawk wrote:
1 year ago
Side-note as I looked at EDHRECs - why on earth is Liesa, Shroud of Dusk the most played Orzhov commander? What am I missing?
My guess is because it's competitive at punishing people casting multiple spells/turn and fairly asymmetrical.

I collect Kaalia of the Vast normal-size cards. Do you have any extra taking up space in your binder? Help me grow my collection! :)

WBRKaalia HQ WBR

Toshi
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

Post by Toshi » 1 year ago

3drinks wrote:
1 year ago
Toshi wrote:
1 year ago
How does your Killian play with just 34 lands and four ramp cards? Being such a statistically insignificant percent, wouldn't those four slots better served as bulking up your other key areas, rather than maybe seeing a talisman every seven games?
The land count hasn't been a problem so far (since i built it last Dec).
You are right about the rock count. I started out with the current ones plus Fractured Powerstone, Liquimetal Torque, Mind Stone, Prismatic Lens and Thought Vessel. 9 rocks was a little much, given his initial cost and cost reduction, so i cut it down to the 4 mana fixing ones.
It's a mixed bag. I don't mind starting without any of them, just casting my commander on curve, just as much as i enjoy ramping on 2 with the follow up play being him and the first Aura(s) on top.

We'll see how the deck evolves. The progress is usually slow with my Voltron decks, as i don't enjoy that play style every round. I play each one of the approximately only once a month.

void_nothing
Undersea Emperor
Answers: 127

Post by void_nothing » 1 year ago

Killian's fun - a little something different for Orzhov colors. Lorewise, feel bad for the guy!
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

duducrash
Still Learning

Post by duducrash » 1 year ago

One of the few commanders that allow a Lurrus of the Dream-Den companion. Im slowly building it overtime one of those projects where I dont buy many cards, just trade for whenever I bring the binders to the LGS.

@void_nothing I heard a lot of Asian people got really upset about the portrayal of his/his fathers relationship, is that it?

void_nothing
Undersea Emperor

duducrash wrote:
1 year ago
@void_nothing I heard a lot of Asian people got really upset about the portrayal of his/his fathers relationship, is that it?
Yeah, the fact that Embrose is portrayed as a stern tiger dad who has pushed his son to achieve to the point of abuse is - at best stereotypical. For as much as I love the Silverquills, their whole lore has problematic aspects.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

hyalopterouslemur

Post by hyalopterouslemur » 1 year ago

Aura deck, or just removal, bouncing, and Giant Growth-type effects. (Such as Mighty Leap, to stay in the same colors.)
Thanks to Feyd_Ruin for the avatar!

OneAndOnly

Post by OneAndOnly » 1 year ago

Re: Bitter Feud artwork - Think of it as a gunslinger duel. The dude with glowy hands is one of the combatants, the dude with the stick in the distance is the person he offended (possibly by offering bread without any butter, or feeding his pet goldfish to his cat- it happened so long ago no one remembers.) The other two standing off to the side are their seconds/ attendants.

3drinks

void_nothing wrote:
1 year ago
Killian's fun - a little something different for Orzhov. Lorewise, feel bad for the guy!
What's the lore?

WBRKaalia HQ WBR

Ruiner

Post by Ruiner » 1 year ago

I've really enjoyed my Killian deck. It comes out swinging so fast and let's you play with otherwise inefficient mana cost stuff, which is a lot of fun. I haven't lived the dream of Turn 2 Hatred kill yet, but it is totally possible.

void_nothing
Undersea Emperor

Ruiner wrote:
1 year ago
I've really enjoyed my Killian deck. It comes out swinging so fast and let's you play with otherwise inefficient mana cost stuff, which is a lot of fun. I haven't lived the dream of Turn 2 Hatred kill yet, but it is totally possible.
I'd be too busy laughing to be mad at that, bravo. And Mavinda, Students' Advocate lets you do it a second time for just the cost of the spell.

Ruiner

I had been meaning to post by Killian deck for a while and this Card of the Day post gave me the push. If anyone is interested in building a Killian deck, my deck is up in the Decklists section now (also in my signature) if you are looking to get some inspiration.

Serenade
UnderKing

Post by Serenade » 1 year ago

Man, I'm glad you guys have had good experiences with him. I was so excited for a BW auras deck, but he always ate removal or everyone had a handful of tokens out. He was great for making me understand the limits of menace as evasion, though.
Mirri, Cat Warrior counts as a Cat Warrior.

Ruiner

Serenade wrote:
1 year ago
Man, I'm glad you guys have had good experiences with him. I was so excited for a BW auras deck, but he always ate removal or everyone had a handful of tokens out. He was great for making me understand the limits of menace as evasion, though.
Menace is great in early turns for a few hits but as the turns go on you definitely end up needing a Protection from Creatures aura, a Flying aura, Silent Arbiter or something extra to really push through decks that go wide.

hyalopterouslemur

Post by hyalopterouslemur » 1 year ago

Ruiner wrote:
1 year ago
Serenade wrote:
1 year ago
Menace is great in early turns for a few hits but as the turns go on you definitely end up needing a Protection from Creatures aura, a Flying aura, Silent Arbiter or something extra to really push through decks that go wide.
I mean, it's pretty good in a token deck, Goblin War Drums is. But if you're just using this guy as a Voltron Commander, menace is pretty jank if you can't play Alpha Authority and friends, or just Silent Arbiter.
Thanks to Feyd_Ruin for the avatar!

3drinks

Friday, July 29th, 2022; Decanter of Endless Water

How much worse is this than Thought Vessel? +1 mv in exchange for providing colours.

WBRKaalia HQ WBR

Mookie
Answers: 48
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Mookie » 1 year ago

I think Decanter of Endless Water is significantly weaker than Thought Vessel, but I appreciate its existence as another option - I think it's good for WotC to be printing 3-mana rocks with upside, instead of more 2-mana rocks. Decanter of Endless Water isn't as interesting or powerful as stuff like Cursed Mirror or Manascape Refractor, but it's a common, so that's sort of to be expected.

void_nothing
Undersea Emperor

Yeah, Thought Vessel does what it's specifically meant for much better, but I'm not going to pooh-pooh 3 any-color rocks with a bonus.

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy
Answers: 1

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 1 year ago

Outside of specific decks, "no maximum hand size" has lost its luster for me. Having a big hand usually get someone killed, so having 4-7 really good cards beats having 20 cards of varying value imho.
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

Guardman
A Dog's Dream of Man

Post by Guardman » 1 year ago

It's a nice effect to have as when you want that effect, you really want to make sure you have it, and it being on a mana rock is nice. But only a few decks really want that effect. For every other deck there are much better two and three cost mana rocks.

duducrash
Still Learning

Post by duducrash » 1 year ago

It's among the best bad mana rock

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”