Unreleased and New Card Discussion

Mookie
Answers: 48
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Mookie » 4 months ago

RowanKeltizar wrote:
4 months ago
There are A LOT of commanders XX with power 2 or less. ... Brago, King Eternal
Unfortunately, copying Brago triggers does nothing - the targets get flickered by the first trigger, so the second fizzles. Candlekeep Sage (and other backgrounds) does work though.

yeti1069
Pronoun: he / him

Post by yeti1069 » 4 months ago

RowanKeltizar wrote:
4 months ago

With just Delney and Helm of the Host you are swinging in for 12 unblockable damage to your opponents if I'm reading cards correctly, not to mention, now you get 7 extra triggers off of Stoneforge Mystic lmao
Helm doesn't grant the creature an ability, so Delney has nothing to copy.

heridfel

Post by heridfel » 4 months ago

yeti1069 wrote:
4 months ago
Mookie wrote:
4 months ago
Hawk wrote:
4 months ago
I was super pumped for Assemble the Players at first, but thinking about it more it's probably a dud for most decks. Looking at my two whitest weeniest decks (Heliod and Lurrus), Heliod runs 30 creatures but only 23 that can be played off the top with Assemble. Lurrus fairs a bit better with 29 creatures, 27 or 28 of whom can be cast off the top (I can never remember if Bronze Guardian is a 0/5 or a #/5 while on top), but that's still only "drawing a card" about a quarter to a third of the time. It may make it in Lurrus anyways but I think often we're at a point where White offers better draw engines, and as soon as you're out of monowhite you definitely have better draw engines.
Same here - Teysa has ~22 creatures (out of 35) that it can cast, but that doesn't feel like enough. I was hoping that the card would either have some additional rules text or be on a creature itself. The once-per-turn limitation is also awkward. I could see it going in Shadowborn Apostle / Persistent Petitioners decks if not for that limitation.
I really don't know why this needed to be once per turn either. The green versions like Elven Chorus and Augur of Autumnhave no restrictions on what you can cast off the top, nor how often, and often come with additional upside. This seems like it's playing it unnecessarily safe.
Well, Elven Chorus costs twice as much for that upside and Augur of Autumn requires at least two other creatures in play before it can be used for creatures. I would also say that one of green's traditional strengths being "creatures" should give it an advantage when it comes to cards which enable creatures to be searched for/played. Granted, the color pie is mostly outdated these days and all colors' creatures these days put most green creatures of yore to shame, but it is what it is.

White is also still the best color for board wipes. If a player is able to drop a Wrath-equivalent (probably with an upside these days), then get two or three creatures off Assemble the Players in a single turn, it's a much bigger reversal than anything green could do. That is especially true in non-Commander formats.

Mookie

re: Intrude on the Mind - thinking about it a bit more, it seems reasonable. My initial reaction was 'opponent chooses which cards you get = bad card', but the token makes it more interesting. You could, theoretically, do a 5-0 split, in which case you either get five cards or a 5/5 flyer with flash. Less impressive in EDH, but it can be good in situations where a surprise flyer is relevant (which is pretty often, IMO). Doing a 3-2 split gets you a better Mulldrifter, at the very least - either upgrade to a 3/3 body or get an extra card. I wouldn't run it over Fact or Fiction, but I do think it has its place.

"Buried in the Garden" may be going in my cube - Wild Growth + Oblivion Ring seems nice for my enchantress theme.

Mr_Webman

Post by Mr_Webman » 4 months ago

Known as TheGodOfWar91 on MTGSalvation

RowanKeltizar
Firemind

Post by RowanKeltizar » 4 months ago

I'm an idiot, I was thinking of Blade of Selves. But you would have to put that on a non-legendary I guess, unless you didn't care that the tokens died.
WRBKaalia, Zenith Seeker - Certified Air Raid Material
WBElenda, the Dusk Rose - Drain and Gain
WRAurelia, the Warleader - Tokens/Equipment
URNiv-Mizzet, Parun - Controlled Burn primer
BRGHenzie, "Toolbox" Torre - Creature Feature
BRGSoul of Windgrace - Lands Matter
RGWGishath, Sun's Avatar - I'M YOUR DADDY
GWUBAtraxa, Praetors' Voice - Artifact Stax Beatdown
Budget Starter Decks
UBSygg, River Cutthroat
WU Shorikai, Genesis Engine

Hermes_

Post by Hermes_ » 4 months ago

The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon-"The secret of this format is in not breaking it. "

CommanderMaster999

Post by CommanderMaster999 » 4 months ago

Hermes_ wrote:
4 months ago
ewww double Dockside Extortionist
theres worse than that easily

… as a matter of fact Agent of Treachery is exibit A (doubles both triggers)
Last edited by CommanderMaster999 4 months ago, edited 1 time in total.

5colorsrainbow
Answers: 1

Post by 5colorsrainbow » 4 months ago

looks fun enough for clue so I'm excited for her. A number of clue related cards are also triggering off when you draw your second card each time which is a nice way to give clue support and a soft limit on how much you can do.
“There are no weak Jews. I am descended from those who wrestle angels and kill giants. We were chosen by God. You were chosen by a pathetic little man who can't seem to grow a full mustache"

kirkusjones
Disciple of Dumb

Post by kirkusjones » 4 months ago

Private Eye is 100% a reference to this:

I hate it. But I love it.

yeti1069

Post by yeti1069 » 4 months ago

heridfel wrote:
4 months ago
yeti1069 wrote:
4 months ago
Mookie wrote:
4 months ago

Same here - Teysa has ~22 creatures (out of 35) that it can cast, but that doesn't feel like enough. I was hoping that the card would either have some additional rules text or be on a creature itself. The once-per-turn limitation is also awkward. I could see it going in Shadowborn Apostle / Persistent Petitioners decks if not for that limitation.
I really don't know why this needed to be once per turn either. The green versions like Elven Chorus and Augur of Autumnhave no restrictions on what you can cast off the top, nor how often, and often come with additional upside. This seems like it's playing it unnecessarily safe.
Well, Elven Chorus costs twice as much for that upside and Augur of Autumn requires at least two other creatures in play before it can be used for creatures. I would also say that one of green's traditional strengths being "creatures" should give it an advantage when it comes to cards which enable creatures to be searched for/played. Granted, the color pie is mostly outdated these days and all colors' creatures these days put most green creatures of yore to shame, but it is what it is.

White is also still the best color for board wipes. If a player is able to drop a Wrath-equivalent (probably with an upside these days), then get two or three creatures off Assemble the Players in a single turn, it's a much bigger reversal than anything green could do. That is especially true in non-Commander formats.
Elven Chorus is also Cryptolith Rite, which is a 2-mana card, essentially making the 'play creatures from your library' a 2-mana effect here.

Augur has some requirements to get online, but before you meet those, you get to play lands off the top, and once requirements are met, you get to do both, which means you're also more likely to hit more creatures in a turn, since you get to clear at least one land on top.

White is supposed to be the best weenie creature color, and I don't think giving white the option to have an unrestricted weenie version of this effect would have been an issue.

As for wipes and then creatures, that's an option, but you're still gated by available mana in the second worst color for mana production.
Mookie wrote:
4 months ago

"Buried in the Garden" may be going in my cube - Wild Growth + Oblivion Ring seems nice for my enchantress theme.
What set symbol is that?

MAGUSZANIN

Post by MAGUSZANIN » 4 months ago

yeti1069 wrote:
4 months ago
What set symbol is that?
That card was spoiled in a foreign language (though I don't know which one off the top of my head) and so that image is an English translation mockup made using a "custom" card creator.

Scryfall link with the actual card image for reference: https://scryfall.com/card/mkm/191/buried-in-the-garden

As for Assemble the Players, I think it's basically the same as the other White Ramp/Card Draw options we were getting back in like 2018: They are playing it extremely safe with the effect, and this card is more notable for the new design space it implies than it being good in itself. Once they realize this doesn't go far enough, we are going to get a version with a couple less restrictions, and that will grow over time until they print something equivalent to Tocasia's Welcome or Esper Sentinel (ie, something good enough to actually see play).

This is annoying in the short term, but it does come with the upside of it not creating Smothering Tithe 2: Card Draw Boogaloo on accident.

NZB2323

Post by NZB2323 » 4 months ago

Current Decks
rg Morophon, the infinite Kavu Eowyn, human tribal Legolas, voltron control Wb Tymna/Ravos cleric tribal Neheb, Chicago Bulls tribal Ug Edric pauper

Retired Decks
Edgar Markov Kaalia, angel board wipes Ghen, prison Captain Sisay Ub Nymris, draw go Sarulf, voltron control Niv-Mizzet, combo Winota Sidisi, Zombie Tribal

CommanderMaster999

Post by CommanderMaster999 » 4 months ago

I can take that "The Hull of Pride Clade" is a forever staple in Arcades, the Strategist

Oh by the way the ability stacks like Den of the Bugbear/Genju of the Fields so be careful you could accidentally deck yourself

kirkusjones
Disciple of Dumb

Post by kirkusjones » 4 months ago

Anybody want to shed some insight into why Drag the Canal is a rare? It feels way more like a strong uncommon to me, especially since it doesn't seem like you can flash in the token to block, die and trigger the second line of text.

Sporegorger_Dragon

Post by Sporegorger_Dragon » 4 months ago

kirkusjones wrote:
4 months ago
Anybody want to shed some insight into why Drag the Canal is a rare? It feels way more like a strong uncommon to me, especially since it doesn't seem like you can flash in the token to block, die and trigger the second line of text.
Maybe so that the bg and gu Limited archetypes (Gather Evidence) don't squabble over it and splash for it? :thinking:

Or maybe it made chump-blocking too easy and beneficial for Dimir in Limited?
"What's with you and pitcher plants?" -NinjaCaterpie, 27-9-2021

Dunadain
I like turtles
Answers: 2

Post by Dunadain » 4 months ago

The Pride of Hull Clade is practically begging to be put in Arcades, the Strategist. I wonder if it's good enough to be a commander.

IT'S A TURTLE THOUGH!!! Maybe it's finally time for me to brew my turtle deck. The fact that it has multiple creature types is kind of muddying the waters though…
All cards are bad if you try hard enough.

Important decks: Ebondeath, Dracolich, Emiel, The Blessed, Phelddagriff
Other: Ruhan, Zask, Kellan, Liesa, Galadriel, Orca, Sauron, Thantis, Rukarumel, Sisay, Stickfingers, Safana, Thantis, Dihada

Help me complete my JumpStart Cube!

Lifeless
Not here to contribute.

Post by Lifeless » 4 months ago

If you told me The Price of Hull Clade was birthed by ChatGPT I would 100% believe you.

Serenade
UnderKing

Post by Serenade » 4 months ago

Wow, Charix loves Escape Tunnel. I always need either one more island OR another one-cost, instant speed unblockable outlet.
Mirri, Cat Warrior counts as a Cat Warrior.

Mookie

Friendship ended with Villainous Wealth. Now Dopplegang is my favorite ugx finisher.

The obvious point of comparison is Rite of Replication - Dopplegang gives one thing for five mana or four things for eight mana, which is a bit weaker than Rite giving one for four / five for nine.

Dopplegang's strength is that it is significantly more flexible - instead of only hitting creatures, you can hit any permanent... including lands. If you hit lands, it becomes mana-positive at X=4 (costs 14 mana, generates 16 untapped lands), and you can go infinite with Eternal Witness at X=5, which is certainly interesting. That's obviously pretty expensive, but I could see '11 mana: Dopplegang 3x3 lands → 20 total mana: Eternal Witness + Dopplegang for infinite' being a reasonable play across two turns.

MAGUSZANIN

Post by MAGUSZANIN » 4 months ago

So 5 Mana gets you 1 target x1 copy, 8 Mana gets you 2 targets x2 Copies, 11 Mana gets you 3 targets x3 Copies (that is +9 mana right there if you just target lands!), 14 Mana gets you 4 targets x4 Copies. If someone has a damage dealer that's probably just lethal by copying something like Gary. 4 Gary gives you 8 Devotion x 4 triggers= 32 on their own. Terror of the Peaks hits for 15x4=60 assuming it's the only creature you copy. If you copy 1 additional 1/1 that adds 16, a 2 power creature like Eternal Witness adds 32 and so on.

Purphoros copies will see eachother and kill the table even through the legend rule too.

At 17 Mana you get 5 targets x5 copies, and if one of those is Eternal Witness then you get this back to your hand along with some free interaction, and make 4x5= 20 mana worth of lands per cast, which is enough to just go infinite with room to spare to scale the casts up with each loop.

I think you can do it a little earlier if someone has a Sol Ring too, since you will be making untapped permanents that tap for 2. 4x4 Gives us 4 Sol Rings which is 8 Mana right there, with the remaining 8 lands also giving 8 mana for a total of 16, plus 4 Eternal Witnesses. If you kept 1 land up, or you have an Altar to make mana from the Eternal Witnesses, you can then scale the loop up to the 17 mana version.

folding_music
glitter pen on my mana crypt
Pronoun: they / them

Post by folding_music » 4 months ago

Kinnan with Doppelgang will be a huge groan but the card is so fun for creating custom combos I can forgive it <3 really silly card

Dragonlover

Post by Dragonlover » 4 months ago

I'm really tempted to put Doppelgang in wincons. Gives me Biovisionary copies, can protect wincons by making copies so I'm less vulnerable to spot removal, extra Sphinx of the Second Sun is always a laugh...

Yeah, if I open one it's definitely worth a punt.

Dragonlover
All my decks are here

NZB2323

Post by NZB2323 » 4 months ago

Repulsive mutation slides right into my Legolas, Counter of Kills voltron control deck.
Current Decks
rg Morophon, the infinite Kavu Eowyn, human tribal Legolas, voltron control Wb Tymna/Ravos cleric tribal Neheb, Chicago Bulls tribal Ug Edric pauper

Retired Decks
Edgar Markov Kaalia, angel board wipes Ghen, prison Captain Sisay Ub Nymris, draw go Sarulf, voltron control Niv-Mizzet, combo Winota Sidisi, Zombie Tribal

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”