[mtgnexus] Random Card of the Day - Rishkar, Peema Renegade

3drinks
Kaalia's Personal Liaison
Pronoun: he / him

Post by 3drinks » 7 months ago

Sunday, November 5th, 2023; Infernal Tribute

Steel Sabotage'ng Orbs of Mellowness since 2011.

I collect Kaalia of the Vast normal-size cards. Do you have any extra taking up space in your binder? Help me grow my collection! :)

WBRKaalia HQ WBR

Dunadain
I like turtles
Answers: 2
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Dunadain » 7 months ago

A victim of its own flexibility.

If I'm planning on sacrificing creatures, I got Yawgmoth, Thran Physician, Ayara, First of Locthwain, etc.

If I'm planning on sacrificing artists, I also have a lot of options.

For lands/enchantments/planeswalkers, this becomes a lot more appealing, but, generally, it's a lot harder to make a bunch of expendable planeswalkers/enchantments/lands.

So you really only want this if you need to sac multiple different kinds of permanents. Cool option for any decks that do want that though.
All cards are bad if you try hard enough.

Important decks: Ebondeath, Dracolich, Zask, Phelddagriff
Other: Karrthus, Eris, Emiel, The Blessed, Ruhan, Kellan, Liesa, Galadriel, Orca, Sauron, Thantis, Rukarumel, Sisay, Stickfingers, Safana, Thantis, Dihada

Help me complete my JumpStart Cube!

Mookie
Answers: 48

Post by Mookie » 7 months ago

Infernal Tribute looks underwhelming - triple black, two mana to activate, can't sacrifice tokens. There is the niche use case of using it to sacrifice enchantments (like Demonic Pact), but otherwise I think there are better options for sacrificing creatures / artifacts.

folding_music
glitter pen on my mana crypt
Pronoun: they / them

Post by folding_music » 7 months ago

that's the problem with cards designed for modern rakdos sac - you start to think that the sacrifice half of the card is the point x3 this was a revelation when it was released and we read all the way to the end of the card

3drinks

Monday, November 6th, 2023; Winding Canyons

I never did like this. Paying a tax of 3 to cast creatures with flash just didn't make a lot of sense to me. Certainly I wouldn't want to spend $20 on it. Maaayyybbbeeee it's fine in Zhulodok, Void Gorger since the floor is a Wastes and the ceiling is....well, double cascade at flash speed in a big mana deck.

I collect Kaalia of the Vast normal-size cards. Do you have any extra taking up space in your binder? Help me grow my collection! :)

WBRKaalia HQ WBR

Mookie

I've seen Winding Canyons played in Omnath, Locus of Mana as a way to preserve mana if Omnath happens to die. I'm not sure what other decks would want it over other colorless utility lands. Flash is certainly nice to have - you can avoid sorcery-speed removal, surprise attackers, and dodge some countermgic.... but it's rarely worth spending a full card slot on. I feel like creatures don't get that much extra value from flash because their primary purpose - attacking and blocking - functions identically when played at sorcery speed. The only benefit you get is having a surprise blocker... and if you have on-board flash, it isn't as surprising anyway.

That said, I will note that I'm a fan of the more flexible Alchemist's Refuge, particularly in conjunction with Seedborn Muse as a build-your-own Prophet of Kruphix. Tapping out for a ramp spell or splashy enchantment can be a pretty high-variance play, since you can no longer hold open interaction. I've tapped out for Boundless Realms and other splashy stuff plenty of times, only to die before I untap. Using Alchemist's Refuge to hold open mana for interaction, and then flashing out a board wipe or other splashy spell is quite nice.

Dunadain
I like turtles

Emiel the Blessed likes it, when your deck is full of utility ETB creatures, AND you have a potent activated ability that you can activate multiple times in a turn, flash on your creatures becomes a lot more appealing.

On the flip side, as long as Emiel is out, you never have a totally free 3 to spend, as that's enough to get an additional activation out of Emiel.

All things considered, it still ends up being fairly relevant, you can hold up instant speed Cataclysmic Gearhulk or whatever, and if you don't need it, just pump that open mana into Emiel activations.

The other option is if you have some instant speed protection spell like Guardian of Faith, you can hold up Guardian of Faith forever and develop the board by flashing stuff in eot. Can still get blown out by instant speed wipes, but those are few and far between.

It's still not an all-star, but it's head and shoulders above most colorless utility lands in my experience.

Other: Karrthus, Eris, Emiel, The Blessed, Ruhan, Kellan, Liesa, Galadriel, Orca, Sauron, Thantis, Rukarumel, Sisay, Stickfingers, Safana, Thantis, Dihada

Hawk
Slayer of Threads

Post by Hawk » 7 months ago

It's interesting to think about colorless utility lands. I tend to find I prefer nabbing Reliquary Tower (I love to draw and hate to discard), Arcane Lighthouse (a nice insurance policy), Scavenger Grounds (in 2023, you need to have a plan for GYs or your plan is to lose to GY decks) as generically strong utility lands available to any deck. It's a bit moot since I don't own a copy of Canyons, but I think generally it'd be down at least that far on the list and that's before we consider situationally great colorless lands like Deserted Temple (great in decks full of lands that tap for more than one), Roadside Reliquary (great for decks that fulfill the condition), Strip Mine/Wasteland/Ghost Quarter/Field of Ruin) (great in decks that can recur them), or Command Beacon (great in decks that have multiple commanders or that have expensive kill-on-sight commanders especially if those decks also have Lands synergy). For most even 2-color decks, it can be tough to afford more than 3-4 lands that don't make your colors, and that number goes down depending on how many colors you're running and how low-to-the ground your commander is.

I've been underwhelmed by Alchemist's Refuge too, so this just isn't something I'm high on for most decks. Folks have pointed out places where it is good, and monocolor creatureless decks in general can run this "for free" so it is not harmful to run and add. but it feels like a marginal land generally speaking.

Igzex

Post by Igzex » 7 months ago

I'm not the biggest fan of Vedalken Orrery and I'd still run it over Winding Canyons. Besides, we're getting enough utility critters with built in flash as is anyways.

Hawk
Slayer of Threads

Igzex wrote:
7 months ago
I'm not the biggest fan of Vedalken Orrery and I'd still run it over Winding Canyons. Besides, we're getting enough utility critters with built in flash as is anyways.
This is a good point - I too find that effect a bit overrated. Once upon a time, Canyons was the "budget" alternative to Orrery but now Orrery is a $5 card thanks to Double Masters and Canyons is creeping us as a RL card.

weltkrieg

Post by weltkrieg » 7 months ago

I honestly like winding canyons quite a lot. My meta is boardwipe heavy, so having a surprise creature with "haste" at the end of someone else's turn is excellent. I play it in addition to hall of the bandit lord which itself isn't that cheap though it has been reprinted. It works very well in green or white decks where flash may not always be on the creature you wish to play.

Treamayne

Post by Treamayne » 7 months ago

Winding Canyons is totally a Nostalgia Card. I remember being blown away in Mirage Block when they introduced "cast as an instant" and most of the chaff with the ability was . . . not stellar (*cough* Parapet *cough*). Then Weatherlight brought us this, and the world opened to all kinds of instant-speed shenanigans. Especially for control decks in the post-Necro "Black Winter" era of Type 2. Despite how it may (or may not) have aged for this specific format, it'll still pull a nostalgia-fueled grin whenever I see one on the table.
V/R

Treamayne

NZB2323

Post by NZB2323 » 7 months ago

Hawk wrote:
7 months ago
It's interesting to think about colorless utility lands. I tend to find I prefer nabbing Reliquary Tower (I love to draw and hate to discard), Arcane Lighthouse (a nice insurance policy), Scavenger Grounds (in 2023, you need to have a plan for GYs or your plan is to lose to GY decks) as generically strong utility lands available to any deck. It's a bit moot since I don't own a copy of Canyons, but I think generally it'd be down at least that far on the list and that's before we consider situationally great colorless lands like Deserted Temple (great in decks full of lands that tap for more than one), Roadside Reliquary (great for decks that fulfill the condition), Strip Mine/Wasteland/Ghost Quarter/Field of Ruin) (great in decks that can recur them), or Command Beacon (great in decks that have multiple commanders or that have expensive kill-on-sight commanders especially if those decks also have Lands synergy). For most even 2-color decks, it can be tough to afford more than 3-4 lands that don't make your colors, and that number goes down depending on how many colors you're running and how low-to-the ground your commander is.

I've been underwhelmed by Alchemist's Refuge too, so this just isn't something I'm high on for most decks. Folks have pointed out places where it is good, and monocolor creatureless decks in general can run this "for free" so it is not harmful to run and add. but it feels like a marginal land generally speaking.
Yeah, I've made the mistake of running too many colorless lands in a deck. If had to rank the colorless lands, I think it would be:

1.) Ancient Tomb
2.) Hall of Heliod's Generosity/Academy Ruins
3.) Kessig Wolf Run/Gavony Township/Vault of the Archangel
4.) Rogue's Passage
5.) Strip Mine/Demolition Field

After that, it becomes hard to justify. I mean, in my cleric tribal deck I run Starlit Sanctum and in Neheb, the Worthy I run
Rix Maadi, Dungeon Palace and Geier Reach Sanitarium, but those are pretty niche.
Current Decks
rg Morophon, the infinite Kavu Eowyn, human tribal Legolas, voltron control Wb Tymna/Ravos cleric tribal Neheb, Chicago Bulls tribal Ug Edric pauper

Retired Decks
Edgar Markov Kaalia, angel board wipes Ghen, prison Captain Sisay Ub Nymris, draw go Sarulf, voltron control Niv-Mizzet, combo Winota Sidisi, Zombie Tribal

3drinks

Tuesday, November 7th, 2023; Doom Whisperer

WBRKaalia HQ WBR

TessaMTG
Arbiter of +1/+1 Counters
Pronoun: she / her

Post by TessaMTG » 7 months ago

Soul Snare is a lot less versatile, but at the same time is wayyyy cheaper. I'm personally not a big fan of Brittle Effigy.
I love Tchotchke Elemental. And as always: wear your seatbelt, tear up your friend's mill deck, and buh-bye. (Please don't actually tear up your friend's mill deck, no matter how annoying it is.)

Check out the LGBTAPQ+ People Place!
My Custom Planeswalkers
Custom Horizons 1
Good Kid (really good indie rock band also they play MTG)

Hawk
Slayer of Threads

3drinks wrote:
7 months ago
Tuesday, November 7th, 2023; Doom Whisperer

When this was previewed I remember my and many other player's heads exploding at the insane rate. I thought this would be a Standard all-star and I thought this would be an EDH Staple in every deck - such a huge body at the cost, and no drawback at all, just all upside. I was then equally surprised when it hovered around a few bucks, not making huge waves in standard and taking time to take off in EDH. I was in disbelief that this was closer to a Spiritmonger than a Titan in terms of impact.

It's not quite a staple, but now it is in a very respectable 25,237 decks on EDHRECs. It helps that many powerful synergy cards were printed shortly thereafter - folks like Greven, Predator Captain, Vilis, Broker of Blood, Willowdusk, Essence Seer, and newcomer Rowan, Scion of War that care about life loss which Doom Whisperer can make happen fairly fast, and commanders like Syr Konrad, the Grim and Sefris of the Hidden Ways that appreciate Whisperer's ability to quickly fill a 'yard out. We also have had a few shiny Demon and Nightmare tribal commanders printed which certainly helps. Shame I didn't pick this up sooner as its price is climbing, but I suspect a reprint will tank it down as it still just isn't that widely played.

Mookie

Doom Whisperer is niche but alright. Hawk has already covered most of what I would say - it was very hyped during preview season, but ended up being a bit of a miss. Still worth consideration for decks that specifically want to lose life or fill the graveyard... but if you're not using its activated ability, then it is just a french vanilla beater. It does have good stats, but I'd take something with weaker stats but a more useful upside any day. Bloodgift Demon, Aclazotz, Deepest Betrayal // Temple of the Dead, Archpriest of Shadows, Massacre Girl.... black has a lot of excellent 5-drops.

I will call out that Caverns of Ixalan bumps up Doom Whisperer's stock a bit with all the descend stuff. The Ancient One, The Mycotyrant, Zoyowa Lava-Tongue, and plenty of other cards appreciate an easy way to repeatedly trigger descend.

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

Post by ISBPathfinder » 7 months ago

I think its still a very solid roleplayer in decks with heavy recursion elements and good paired with lifegain. It can also be used with some topdeck play type cards like Oracle of Mul Daya or Future Sight. I wouldn't say its a staple but I also haven't really been sad to see it in most decks.
[EDH] Vadrok List (Suicide Chads) | Evelyn List (Vamp Mill) | Sanwell List | Danitha List | Indominus List | Ratadrabik List

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 7 months ago

It's pretty underrated, to be honest. The body is great for a great rate, and the life for card filter ability is way better than you think it'll be. Most of the great synergies have already been mentioned, but I'll flick a nod to Bolas's Citadel as a great way to abuse the almighty christ out of this card. It's not so much about going infinite as it is just digging to the right cards when you need them, and that's actually pretty great.

Definitely one I'm hoping to see again in Ravnica Remastered early 2024.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

3drinks

Wednesday, November 11th, 2023; Gift of Immortality

This is still good? I know in the day it was complained about as a part of many unbreakable loops. I don't really see it, but I have a fairly low opinion of auras in the first place. Maybe it was a key component of Geist of Saint Traft decks back then.

WBRKaalia HQ WBR

Dunadain
I like turtles

This is the kind of slow, durdly, inevitability that I love!

Hermes_

Post by Hermes_ » 7 months ago

3drinks wrote:
7 months ago
Wednesday, November 11th, 2023; Gift of Immortality

This is still good? I know in the day it was complained about as a part of many unbreakable loops. I don't really see it, but I have a fairly low opinion of auras in the first place. Maybe it was a key component of Geist of Saint Traft decks back then.
It works great in my Voltron deck
The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon-"The secret of this format is in not breaking it. "

Lifeless
Not here to contribute.

Post by Lifeless » 7 months ago

I'll take "Cards I always forget are in play until it's too late" for $500 Alex.

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy
Answers: 1

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 7 months ago

I remember this card being a lynchpin in a number of Boonweaver Giant combos and occasionally I see this in a Sigarda, Host of Herons voltron deck, but I've never seen it anywhere else
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”