Lord of Extinction

materpillar
the caterpillar
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by materpillar » 4 years ago

I've always liked this card and I just recently traded for one. I'm looking to slot it into my Progenitus 5-color dredge deck. Currently that deck can reanimate it and hasty swing at someone utilizing Anger and unburial rites. However, without any flavor of evasion I'm not expecting this to actually accomplish much. I was wondering if there were any good synergy cards with Lord of Extinction that would be useful with other cards as well.

For example, I was thinking about Gravitic Punch or Jarad, Golgari Lich Lord. While on theme with my self-mill/graveyard abuse, they won't do anything outside of throwing exactly this card. On the other hand I have Naya Charm which can clear the way for the Lord of Extinction but isn't a dead card when Lord of Extinction isn't on the battlefield.

Does anyone have any experience using Lord of Extinction outside of a Jarad, Golgari Lich Lord deck?
Last edited by materpillar 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

PrimevalCommander
Pronoun: he / him

Post by PrimevalCommander » 4 years ago

I don't have any recent experience, but it seems good with Fling and Rite of Consumption, similar to Gravitic Punch and others. Sneak Attack if you have a bunch of fatties in your deck.

I wouldn't play it unless I had something else going for flinging big creatures around. By itself its just a chump block magnet.

hyalopterouslemur

Post by hyalopterouslemur » 4 years ago

It's also good in a lot of "power/toughness matters" builds, especially if you have some way to transfer those stats to another creature.
Thanks to Feyd_Ruin for the avatar!

Dunharrow

Post by Dunharrow » 4 years ago

It was in a lot of The Mimeoplasm decks.

Would be pretty sweet to Mimeo Progenitus and LoE.

It would also be good with Overwhelming Stampede and Pathbreaker Ibex, assuming you have a few creatures out.
The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 4 years ago

Altar of Dementia seems a great way to abuse it, especially if you can reanimate it with ease.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

Neptune

Post by Neptune » 4 years ago

If you're using Anger, you could also use Brawn, Wonder, or Filth + Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth.

sadgasm

Post by sadgasm » 4 years ago

I have never been a big fan. You can probably find something with more synergy than a big essentially vanilla beater. Even in a dedicated Jarad decks I'd rather have something with synergy or evasion.

darrenhabib

Post by darrenhabib » 4 years ago

I mean most of the time it's going to be like a 5/5 for 5 mana, Grizzly Bears.

As long as you have a heavy mill theme on players, Consuming Aberration goes hand-in-hand to grow graveyards.

To push through damage have at least Brawn and Wonder.

boer0829

Post by boer0829 » 4 years ago

I used Lord of Extinction in my The Mimeoplasm mill deck. It was nuts. It often had a 30/30 + body. It's true that it only seems like a vanilla beater, but if you use him like that you use him wrong. I used him with Greater Good, Momentous Fall, Life's Legacy, Prime Speaker Zegana.

My favorite combo was playing The Mimeoplasm targetting Fathom Mage and then Lord of Extinction often drawing like 20+ cards.
I think it was one of the most fun decks I ever had. Thinking about it I might build that deck again, adding a few new cards.

Sure, play something like Fling or Jarad, Golgari Lich Lord alongside can end games very quickly. End of the day it's a super boring way to win the game.

Is the Lord competitive? No. Is it fun? Yes.

hyalopterouslemur

Post by hyalopterouslemur » 4 years ago

Yep. You can do that with Fathom Mage or Prime Speaker Zegana.

He's also cute in Kresh the Bloodbraided or with Death's Presence.
Thanks to Feyd_Ruin for the avatar!

materpillar
the caterpillar

Post by materpillar » 4 years ago

This partly came up because I created an 18/18 Centaur Vinecrasher and it was too small to get through enough damage on the clogged board state. I'm planning on cutting it for the Lord of Extinction because of how much it has underperformed. However, it had at least a touch of evasion and I'm aware that the Lord Of Extinction will need some help connecting with faces.

Part of my issue is the deck is extremely creature light as it usually wins with Worm Harvest, laboratory maniac or Progenitus. Centaur Vinecrasher was an attempt at adding another win-condition.
I already run Urborg so I'll have to look into picking up a Filth. That would help my worms start scratching away at people too.

onering
Answers: 1

Post by onering » 4 years ago

I don't see him very often, but when he shows up he's immediately terrifying. He's cheap and can easily get into one shot territory, and everyone runs lightning greaves. If he shows up in Jund, he gets dropped on the battlefield while pandemonium is out and mercs someone. It's always worth asking if a vanilla beater is worth it, but at the size it reliably gets to for just 5 Mana it's a card that wins the game if it isn't answered.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”