Questing Beast Deck Help

Gashnaw
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Gashnaw » 4 years ago

darrenhabib wrote:
4 years ago
Genesis goes well with Spore Frog and Spike Weaver.
that it does. Kamahl, Fist of krosa can also help with boosting toughness and trample... and i may also be able to force some lands to block...

I found a few more lure effects, Like Nemesis Mask, Shinen of Life's Roar, Taunting Elf, Revenge of the Hunted and tempting licid

I think Sylvan Basilisk would also be nice with these lure effects. No need to deal damage, they just need to block him to die.

EDIT: i found even more lure effects.

darrenhabib
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by darrenhabib » 4 years ago

Gashnaw wrote:
4 years ago
darrenhabib wrote:
4 years ago
that it does. Kamahl, Fist of krosa can also help with boosting toughness and trample... and i may also be able to force some lands to block...

I found a few more lure effects, Like Nemesis Mask, Shinen of Life's Roar, Taunting Elf, Revenge of the Hunted and tempting licid

I think Sylvan Basilisk would also be nice with these lure effects. No need to deal damage, they just need to block him to die.

Fog Patch and Camouflage seem to be a good way to setup killing opponents creatures.

Jangling Automaton can help force bad blocks.

Cultivator of Blades, Pathbreaker Ibex, Nacatl War-Pride are creatures that are good to attack with but often can't attack (without dying) due to only being a 3/3.

Benefactor's Draught is a nice way to attack and then have your creatures up for blocking again.

I like Blinding Fog for the hexproof element as well as a Fog effect.

I don't think Kamahl, Fist of krosa would work out for blocking as opponents can tap the lands at any stage to avoid blocking. I guess you can use it to tap out a blue player? But otherwise Kamahl is all-star for preventing opponents mass-creature-removal effects, least they lose some/all their lands if you have mana up.

Gashnaw

darrenhabib wrote:
4 years ago
Gashnaw wrote:
4 years ago
darrenhabib wrote:
4 years ago

Fog Patch and Camouflage seem to be a good way to setup killing opponents creatures.

Jangling Automaton can help force bad blocks.

Cultivator of Blades, Pathbreaker Ibex, Nacatl War-Pride are creatures that are good to attack with but often can't attack (without dying) due to only being a 3/3.

Benefactor's Draught is a nice way to attack and then have your creatures up for blocking again.

I like Blinding Fog for the hexproof element as well as a Fog effect.

I don't think Kamahl, Fist of krosa would work out for blocking as opponents can tap the lands at any stage to avoid blocking. I guess you can use it to tap out a blue player? But otherwise Kamahl is all-star for preventing opponents mass-creature-removal effects, least they lose some/all their lands if you have mana up.
I think might finally have to start composing a list, I may proxy a LARGE portion of it (At least the expensive stuff. Or something that is not good if this deck is dismantled. I mean I do not see Jangling automaton being a crad I am going to purchase if this deck falls flat.

Overall I see this deck doing what i want it to do, fogging attacks, letting me kill off their defenders/attackers while my guys cannot be hurt. This also gets pass Glacial Chasm which has been a problem in the past.

darrenhabib

Post by darrenhabib » 4 years ago

Gashnaw wrote:
4 years ago
I think might finally have to start composing a list, I may proxy a LARGE portion of it (At least the expensive stuff. Or something that is not good if this deck is dismantled. I mean I do not see Jangling automaton being a crad I am going to purchase if this deck falls flat.

Overall I see this deck doing what i want it to do, fogging attacks, letting me kill off their defenders/attackers while my guys cannot be hurt. This also gets pass Glacial Chasm which has been a problem in the past.
Sounds good. I mean the Fog effects are only good against other decks that run creatures, so it's always going to need to be a very casual group to make the deck any good.
The only way to get ahead against creature light decks is to have quality planeswalkers as I was alluding to before and good bonuses for unblocked creatures, which cards like Sakiko, Mother of Summer and Ohran Frostfang shine.

Bag of Holding would be good to discard Fog effects when they are dead cards, at least until later stages of the game when you can sac it to get them back.

Titania's Song can help to force some opponents to have creatures.

Then forcing creatures and artifacts to not be able to tap for activation, means they either have to attack or are left up for blocking.
On that note Collector Ouphe, Null Rod, Karn, the Great Creator can prevent artifacts from tapping.

Cursed Totem for creatures to avoid tapping. Damping Matrix to a degree.

So as long as you don't have artifacts and creatures that tap to activate you are good to go. (There goes my Bag of Holding suggestion).

BTW I found Bubble Matrix which if you look up errata reads "Prevent all damage that would be dealt to creatures."...perfect.

I suggest Geier Reach Sanitarium for discarding Fog effects against matchups that they are weak against.

Maze of Ith also works for a creature each turn as you can still deal damage and opponents creature won't.

The additional planeswalkers I'd look at to bolster Fog effects are Freyalise, Llanowar's Fury, Garruk Wildspeaker, Garruk, Caller of Beasts, Garruk, Primal Hunter, Karn, the Great Creator, Nissa, Vastwood Seer.

Gashnaw

Maze of ith is a pseudo vigilance.

Bubble Matrix is funny. i think this deck is going to be fun.

bobthefunny
Resident Plainswalker

Post by bobthefunny » 4 years ago

Mookie wrote:
4 years ago
Questing Beast seems reasonable as a Voltron commander due to the pile of keywords and a bit of evasion. Vigilance and deathtouch don't really help the Voltron strategy though, and with only four power, QB needs some extra assistance to reach 21 commander damage. Deathtouch does work well with trample and first strike though, along with equipment like Viridian Longbow or other ping effects. Green doesn't have a ton of equipment tutors/synergies, but having a couple of nice pieces of equipment means you can also suit up other fatties if QB isn't available.

Another thing I would suggest would running some Fog effects - QB makes these one-sided, since your creatures still deal damage.
Vigilance and Deathtouch are EXCELLENT abilities for Voltron. The interaction between Voltrion and Deathtouch is insanely good for getting damage through, and trample is easily granted via equipment or a thousand other green cards.
Likewise, Vigilance is highly underrated, especially in Voltron. In voltron, you're putting a lot of your eggs in one basket, which commits a fair number of your resources and power to the attack. Vigilance allows you to keep those same resources defensively as well.

In other news, Maze of Ith and Ebony Horse effects are quite hilarious with Questing Beast.
Stapler wrote:
4 years ago
It's based on, funnily enough, a creature in Arthurian legend of the same name, named after its call, which sounded like thirty hounds hunting, or "questing" after prey. I never heard of this legend either before someone told me that this is what the card is based on.
I'll take this further. Often linked to dragons, the questing beast is in fact described as a beast, with the "the head and neck of a snake, the body of a leopard, the haunches of a lion, and the feet of a hart." Note that the creature type is beast, and the art matches.

In Arthurian legend, fragmented as it is, the Questing Beast is tied to several knights. In each version though, it is made clear that only some chosen few can kill the beast, though the qualifications are usually unclear.

https://theses.ubn.ru.nl/bitstream/hand ... sequence=1
In the Post-Vulgate Cycle, the Questing Beast makes multiple appearances in
the chapters that deal with the quest of the Holy Grail, and is often associated with the death
of the knights that are trying to discover the Holy Grail. These knights are tempted to follow
the Beast, which results in their death. Part of this can be explained by the fact that the knights
following the Beast deviate from their quest to find the Holy Grail, and are, thus, punished by
God for being distracted by an unholy creature. The most important grail knights that follow
the Questing Beast are Sir Galahad, Sir Griflet, Sir Bors, and Sir Yvain. Yvain is the first to
chase the Beast for quite some time. Later Galahad and Bors pursue the beast until they meet
Sir Palomides and his father sir Esclabor. Esclabor tells the horrifying story of how eleven of
his sons were brutally murdered by the Beast, leaving Palomides with the great task to pursue
it. In this version of the Arthurian legend, Palomides is successful in his quest and eventually
kills the beast. He wounds the beast with his lance, and forces it to vanish into a deep lake.
It may be that the Beast is also a combination of several Arthurian legends. A friend at my LGS who's a fan of Arthurian legend explained that there's a beast in Arthurian legend that was described somewhat like a dragon, but referred to explicitly as a beast. The ground it walked on was withered and no crops could grow there (deathtouch), it was stronger than a bear, and no normal knight could stop it (creatures with power 2 or less can't block), and the wounds it inflicted would fester and would not heal (damage can't be prevented).

Trying to find a source for this part.

CommanderMaster999

Post by CommanderMaster999 » 4 years ago

Well to start obvious you will want as many fogs and big creatures as you can get

Gashnaw

Thanks but i have kind of axed the voltron idea. while i do plan to still run some equipment, the main idea is going to be the unpreventable damage with big bois. Get some trample and they will be running over the enemies. Seed born will also be a great candidate as it will untap all my creatures after they attack.

Commandermaster999: I think i will be running about 10-15 TOPS. don;t wnat to only rely on the fog aspect. about 5-7 PWs. A bunch of biggies. Some land ramp (To play my biggies) a few utility cards, I think this deck is ready to finally get its actual list written up.

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 4 years ago

bobthefunny wrote:
4 years ago
l take this further. Often linked to dragons, the questing beast is in fact described as a beast, with the "the head and neck of a snake, the body of a leopard, the haunches of a lion, and the feet of a hart." Note that the creature type is beast, and the art matches.

In Arthurian legend, fragmented as it is, the Questing Beast is tied to several knights. In each version though, it is made clear that only some chosen few can kill the beast, though the qualifications are usually unclear.

the chapters that deal with the quest of the Holy Grail, and is often associated with the death
of the knights that are trying to discover the Holy Grail. These knights are tempted to follow
the Beast, which results in their death. Part of this can be explained by the fact that the knights
following the Beast deviate from their quest to find the Holy Grail, and are, thus, punished by
God for being distracted by an unholy creature. The most important grail knights that follow
the Questing Beast are Sir Galahad, Sir Griflet, Sir Bors, and Sir Yvain. Yvain is the first to
chase the Beast for quite some time. Later Galahad and Bors pursue the beast until they meet
Sir Palomides and his father sir Esclabor. Esclabor tells the horrifying story of how eleven of
his sons were brutally murdered by the Beast, leaving Palomides with the great task to pursue
it. In this version of the Arthurian legend, Palomides is successful in his quest and eventually
kills the beast. He wounds the beast with his lance, and forces it to vanish into a deep lake.
It may be that the Beast is also a combination of several Arthurian legends. A friend at my LGS who's a fan of Arthurian legend explained that there's a beast in Arthurian legend that was described somewhat like a dragon, but referred to explicitly as a beast. The ground it walked on was withered and no crops could grow there (deathtouch), it was stronger than a bear, and no normal knight could stop it (creatures with power 2 or less can't block), and the wounds it inflicted would fester and would not heal (damage can't be prevented).
Very cool. I haven't read a ton of Arthurian lore, just the Bernard Cornwell series (which is very good, btw). But seems like it's a well thought out, flavourful card.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

Gashnaw

toctheyounger wrote:
4 years ago
bobthefunny wrote:
4 years ago
l take this further. Often linked to dragons, the questing beast is in fact described as a beast, with the "the head and neck of a snake, the body of a leopard, the haunches of a lion, and the feet of a hart." Note that the creature type is beast, and the art matches.

Very cool. I haven't read a ton of Arthurian lore, just the Bernard Cornwell series (which is very good, btw). But seems like it's a well thought out, flavourful card.
If this is all indeed accurate, It seems like one of the most thought out and flavorful cards out there.

Cow31337Killer
Answers: 1

Post by Cow31337Killer » 4 years ago

Gashnaw wrote:
4 years ago
So i pulled a questing beast at the pre-release and while I did not do well (0-4) I did like the creature, and he did help as not every game ended as an 0-2 (most were actually 1-2)
Anyway I was gonna throw him into a deck until i realized he is legendary and was wondering what kind of deck i could build around him. He may only be viable in sealed (As the whole evasion thing is stopped by a 3/X) so i am curious if there is a way to make a decent EDH deck, one the cheap, with this guys as my general. So i am looking for help.
Boy do I have a card for you: Spawnwrithe|CMD

This guy on turn 3 into Questing Beast|ELD turn 4 means trouble for your opponents. If you get a Llanowar Elves|M12 out turn 1 it's even better.

Gashnaw

Cow31337Killer wrote:
4 years ago
Gashnaw wrote:
4 years ago
So i pulled a questing beast at the pre-release and while I did not do well (0-4) I did like the creature, and he did help as not every game ended as an 0-2 (most were actually 1-2)
Anyway I was gonna throw him into a deck until i realized he is legendary and was wondering what kind of deck i could build around him. He may only be viable in sealed (As the whole evasion thing is stopped by a 3/X) so i am curious if there is a way to make a decent EDH deck, one the cheap, with this guys as my general. So i am looking for help.

This guy on turn 3 into Questing Beast|ELD turn 4 means trouble for your opponents. If you get a Llanowar Elves|M12 out turn 1 it's even better.
but he so tiny.

Cow31337Killer
Answers: 1

Post by Cow31337Killer » 4 years ago

Gashnaw wrote:
4 years ago
Cow31337Killer wrote:
4 years ago
Gashnaw wrote:
4 years ago

but he so tiny.
Maybe at first, but when you have 32 of them after just a few swings the damage really adds up. Plus Questing Beast|ELD is great for a token strategy. If you really want a bigger version maybe try Giant Adephage|GTC

Gashnaw

Giant adephage, that is more like it.

Sinis

Post by Sinis » 4 years ago

Dawnstrider seems okay if you're looking for Fogs.

Gashnaw

Sinis wrote:
4 years ago
Dawnstrider seems okay if you're looking for Fogs.
It has been suggested. Not sure if I will run it yet though.

Gashnaw

I need some suggestions for big creatures.

gilrad

Post by gilrad » 4 years ago

Like I mentioned before, big hasty guys are a great way to finish games with Questing Beast because of how much he messes up most defensive strategies.

There are two ways you can go about this:

Run a number of Craterhoof effects: Run whatever big guys you want but also include a nonbasic land fetch package to get hall of the bandit lord out semi-regularly.

Each strategy has their pros and cons.

The former will get you lots of wins out of nowhere, where an opponent at 10 life or so will think their one blocker is enough to keep them alive for another round where they could stabilize or control with the big spell they just played (maybe the big blocker?)

The second strategy will heavily telegraph their vulnerability, so you might end up seeing opponents playing out their commanders just to have an emergency blocker up, because they never know what might be coming at them next turn.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”