[mtgnexus] Random Card of the Day - Argothian Enchantress

3drinks
Kaalia's Personal Liaison
Pronoun: he / him

Post by 3drinks » 1 year ago

hyalopterouslemur wrote:
1 year ago
and I should hope you're all playing at least some targeted removal.
You'd think so, but even last Friday I as the Ragavan deck was the only person with spot removal. I don't like this trend when the mono-r player is the one that has to try and police the table.

No wonder monkey is running unchecked, if no one else is playing removal. Man that's so dumb.

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WRKellan, the Fae-Blooded // Birthright Boon (local secret santa gift)
RTorbran, Thane of Red Fell (Red Deck Wins)
WBRAlesha, Who Smiles at Death (Slivers)
WBRKaalia HQ

Hermes_

Post by Hermes_ » 1 year ago

Boots of value IMO:

1. Trailblazer's Boots
Tied for 2 is Swift and lightening
The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon-"The secret of this format is in not breaking it. "

Igzex

Post by Igzex » 1 year ago

I used to run both way back in the day but now I really only use Lightning Greaves. So many creatures now give immediate value just for being summoned which diminishes the need to dedicate deck slots to giving your creatures protection and haste.

3drinks

Monday, October 3rd, 2022; Infernal Genesis

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

3drinks

Hermes_ wrote:
1 year ago
Boots of value IMO:

1. Trailblazer's Boots
...why are these almost the price of a pack?

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy
Answers: 1

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 1 year ago

3drinks wrote:
1 year ago
Hermes_ wrote:
1 year ago
Boots of value IMO:

1. Trailblazer's Boots
...why are these almost the price of a pack?
Probably because "Nonbasic landwalk" = "can't be blocked" 99% of the time in our chosen format. Something something reprint equity etc.

On topic: Infernal Genesis is just another card that brings to mind that brilliant High CMC tribal deck running around. I don't know where you'd use it otherwise.
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

PrimevalCommander

Post by PrimevalCommander » 1 year ago

Mookie wrote:
1 year ago
If I'm playing one, I usually also run the other. I do think Lightning Greaves is generally superior to Swiftfoot Boots though, outside decks that specifically want to target their commander (i.e. voltron). The free equip is pretty significant, and adds up quickly.
This.

I'm playing a "combat sling" Kalamax, the Stormsire deck that wants to target my commander with combat cantrips. That deck prefers Boots, but plays both for redundancy. I'm generally happy to see either one.

Genesis looks like a cool card, Probably has some synergy with something like Grismold, the Dreadsower what wants tokens to die and has ways to keep them in check.

materpillar
the caterpillar
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by materpillar » 1 year ago

TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
1 year ago
On topic: Infernal Genesis is just another card that brings to mind that brilliant High CMC tribal deck running around. I don't know where you'd use it otherwise.
It is in my high CMC tribal deck and it is pretty solid there. It's kinda awkward because your opponents get tokens first. It basically needs to survive two turns cycles to be worth. Your opponents get 0-4 tokens. I get 6-12 tokens. Then, they all get another 0-4 tokens. Second trigger I get another 6-12 tokens and feel like I'm up on the table. Not particularly amazing and can definitely blow up in your face if you're playing against a dedicated token/aristocrats deck. Not on the chopping block either though, but that's pretty much the ideal situation for this card.

That being said it's basically an unheard of card though so resolving it always gets laughs. It also has a low threat profile so I can bank on it sticking around. It has some minor upside in messing with people's top decks. That all being said it just got way outclassed by Elminster, which is a shame because Infernal Genesis has some sweet art.

Card was completely unheard of and then Toxrill, the Corrosive spiked the price a couple of dollars.

kirkusjones
Disciple of Dumb

Post by kirkusjones » 1 year ago

PrimevalCommander wrote:
1 year ago
Mookie wrote:
1 year ago
If I'm playing one, I usually also run the other. I do think Lightning Greaves is generally superior to Swiftfoot Boots though, outside decks that specifically want to target their commander (i.e. voltron). The free equip is pretty significant, and adds up quickly.
This.

I'm playing a "combat sling" Kalamax, the Stormsire deck that wants to target my commander with combat cantrips. That deck prefers Boots, but plays both for redundancy. I'm generally happy to see either one.

Genesis looks like a cool card, Probably has some synergy with something like Grismold, the Dreadsower what wants tokens to die and has ways to keep them in check.
It costs too much for Grismold. Tombstone Stairwell does the job better. Though the two have decent synergy. If genesis cost five instead of six, I'd probably run it.

onering

Post by onering » 1 year ago

It's cool in a few places. High cmc obviously, but any hug deck with black benefits from this. Giving out creatures is the best way to hug, as your opponents can use them to hit each other and they're the easiest to get under control if you need to. It also is cute in decks that already run a lot of anti token cards, like Stronghold Discipline, Rakdos Charm, or things that give opponent's creatures -1/-1.

hyalopterouslemur

Post by hyalopterouslemur » 1 year ago

This card is obviously really funny if you have something like Night of Souls' Betrayal and Falkenrath Noble ready.
Thanks to Feyd_Ruin for the avatar!

Hermes_

Post by Hermes_ » 1 year ago

Makes my Jhoira of the Ghitu deck giggle
The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon-"The secret of this format is in not breaking it. "

3drinks

Tuesday, October 4th, 2022; Ideas Unbound

I think it's an interesting template. And I'd love to see more of this style of timing in effects.

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

PrimevalCommander

Post by PrimevalCommander » 1 year ago

I had a fun combo extended deck that ran 4 copies of this along side Swans of Bryn Argoll and Chain of Plasma with Pact of Negation backup. Win con was Conflagrate, Lightning Storm, or Seismic Assault. Have not used it since then, but that was a pretty fun deck. Surprisingly consistent as well for combo before Modern was a format.

In commander I could see this going into some all-in storm deck, but honestly probably more of a budget consideration since blue draw is so stacked right now. Probably high on the list for Rielle, the Everwise decks.

Sinis

Post by Sinis » 1 year ago

It definitely has some powerful applications. Oskar likes it, madness piles might be interested, If more draw replacement effects get printed (like Abundance, Tomorrow, Azami's Familiar and Underrealm Lich), it'll be tremendously good. This does not work the way I want it to. If there are more discard synergies like Bag of Holding, this gets better.

hyalopterouslemur

You can also use it with Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind, Niv-Mizzet, Parun, and The Locust God. Two of those are basically a free Arc Lightning.

Graveyard synergies like flashback, madness, embalm, unearth, and dredge. Reanimation. Discard synergies like madness.

Or Teferi's Ageless Insight and friends. Draw six, discard three, hell yeah.

3drinks

Wednesday, October 5th, 2022; Vryn Wingmare and close functional clone, Glowrider (I consider Thalia different enough at one mv less).

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

BeneTleilax

Post by BeneTleilax » 1 year ago

the thing that gets Wx creatureswarm decks labeled "stax".

hyalopterouslemur

Glowrider is older. Unless they're clones like Shatterstar and Longshot. Though TBH Thalia, Guardian of Thraben is slightly cheaper.

Personally I love tax cards. And this is one of my favorites, at least when I'm playing a lot of creatures.

Mookie
Answers: 48

Post by Mookie » 1 year ago

I usually avoid Vryn Wingmare and friends in my decks, even if I'm heavily creature-based - I prefer cards that are more synergistic with my gameplan. That said, I suspect they're better than I think they are. Generally, I think that ramping is one of the strongest things to do in the format, and setting your opponents back in mana by a turn should, in theory, be equal to ramping yourself ahead by a mana. Is Vryn Wingmare actually Wood Elves in disguise? Maybe.

..of course, the flaw in that logic is that I don't think EDH decks are quite as polarized in their contents as decks in other formats. Looking at Legacy, a deck like Delver runs ~12 creatures and 28 spells, with some decks like Ad Nauseam or Storm potentially playing zero creatures, which means Death & Taxes with its Aether Vial + creatures strategy is getting a large relative bonus. In contrast, I don't think many decks in EDH are going to scoop outright to this sort of effect, nor are as many decks running the 40+ creatures to ignore them outright. Plus, there's the issue of games going longer - if people routinely get to 8+ mana, then denying a single mana matters less than games where people end on 2-4 mana. (The math does change a bit if you expect people to be casting multiple noncreature spells per turn)

Anyway, I don't think these are staple cards, but I should probably be playing them more than I should. They do tend to fare pretty poorly diplomatically though.

onering

Post by onering » 1 year ago

BeneTleilax wrote:
1 year ago
the thing that gets Wx creatureswarm decks labeled "stax".

By idiots who think stax is anything white does that disrupts their netdecked nonsense.

Still salty about some dbag running optimized Maelstrom Wanderer whining about me running mono white hate bears.

Igzex

Post by Igzex » 1 year ago

From my vast experience with this "hidden gem" known as Smothering Tithe I've come to learn that I actually despise global tax effects for common actions but not for the reason you'd expect. Both asking and hearing "You payed (x) more for that right?" actually gets old faster than the hindrance the card itself imposes. It's such a pain to keep track of these added costs for 3 other players as well.

But yeah they're at least effective at what they do.

illakunsaa

Post by illakunsaa » 1 year ago

I think it's pretty bad. At 3 mana people have already managed to cast their cultivates so the biggest impact can be missed. 1 mana isn't that big deal because most the time people can still cast wraths destroying your board. 2/1 flying body is pretty bad as it dies to pretty much everything and can't defend or end games.

I think the best cards with this effect are
1. God-Pharaoh's Statue
Making spells cost 2 more has a significant impact even when it hits the board later. I've even gotten this out on turn 3. Being an artifact is harder to kill than creatures and you can your own sweepers along side it. It's also asymmetrical.

2. Reidane, God of the Worthy // Valkmira, Protector's Shield
Making opponents sweepers cost 2 more often gives me a lot of time grind more value and it has a decent body. Backside is also good as it can slow down opponents a little bit and stop some combos.

3. Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
Being 1 mana cheaper allow me to curve out better and 2/1 first strike can block stuff like zombies.

3drinks

Thursday, October 6th, 2022; Ascent of the Worthy

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”