The Community Deck Build Project v3.0

Dunharrow
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Dunharrow » 1 year ago

I will nominate Angel of Serenity, IMO one of the most synergistic angels left to nominate.
1. Angel
2. Can exile a permanent you control to trigger Lulu
3. Can recur your creatures from the yard (think of Karmic Guide loops for example)
4. Can exile threats
5. Old templating, so you can sac it in response to its ETB trigger to permanently remove threats from the game.

Re: Taj-Nar Swordsmith - I like it, but I think there are better equipment tutors. They might cost too much money though. I will say Yay pending better solutions being brought forward.
The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme

kirkusjones
Disciple of Dumb
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by kirkusjones » 1 year ago

What equipment, besides the stalactite, are we planning on fetching? I think that might be a better place to start than the tutors, honestly. It'll also help to better evaluate the utility of Taj-Nar Swordsmith.

Dunharrow

kirkusjones wrote:
1 year ago
What equipment, besides the stalactite, are we planning on fetching? I think that might be a better place to start than the tutors, honestly. It'll also help to better evaluate the utility of Taj-Nar Swordsmith.
Paradise Mantle maybe? Blade of Selves? I think you've raised a good point. I do think Greaves is good though, since haste goes well with tap abilities.

Crazy Monkey
Arcane Themes

Post by Crazy Monkey » 1 year ago

Yea Angel of Serenity, that was on my list of curve-toppers.

On equipment and tutors for them, I was eyeing Amorphous Axe as the third way to give lulu changeling. I don't know how heavily we want to invest in equipment and equipment tutors though. I had kind of assumed we wouldn't dedicate many slots to it, so maybe a protective staple in Lightning Greaves, and some synergy in Angelic Armaments and/or Moonsilver Spear, then a one-side game ender like Worldslayer (more pet card pair with stonehewer than anything).

It's a bit off theme to add these outside of a deck with an equipment focus. Do we use Stonehewer Giant As a signpost for building that direction? It feels like a leap from where we have been building.

I need more time to think over the Taj-Nar Swordsmith. I don't know if it fits yet. It's a second tutor for equipment, but will we have that many? In that context is the swordsmith more of a swap over the giant, because it can get the 2-3 equipment that I think we're most likely going to play on EtB instead of waiting a turn cycle?

EDIT: Paradise Mantle and Skullclamp make sense too. Maybe I am over thinking this.
Commander Decks

Kemba | Kytheon | Talrand | Unesh | Teferi | Geth | primer Zada | Krenko | Torbran | Patron Orochi | Ghalta | Gargos | Medomai | The Count | Xenagos | Nikya | Jaheira, Artisan | Trostani | Athreos | Jarad | Ivy | Nin | Krark & Sakashima | Feather | Osgir | Gisela | Roon | Chulane | Sydri | Ertai | Mairsil | Vial & Malcolm | Prossh | Marath | Marisi | Syr Gwyn | Riku | Riku | Animar | Ghave | Tasigur | Muldrotha | Rayami | Zedruu | Yidris | Kynaios & Tiro | Saskia | Tymna & Kydele | Atraxa | Akiri & Silas | Sisay | Ur Dragon | Bridge | Horde | Najeela | Genju | Traxos

3drinks
Kaalia's Personal Liaison

Post by 3drinks » 1 year ago

kirkusjones wrote:
1 year ago
I was definitively thinking about skullclamp since we're clearly going to have creatures dying frequently. Maybe even Masterwork of Ingenuity to double dip on clamp.

duducrash
Still Learning

Post by duducrash » 1 year ago

Yay to Angel of serenity

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

Post by RxPhantom » 1 year ago

Jemolk wrote:
1 year ago
Definite yea on Runed Stalactite.

Devout Invocation isn't a card I've ever managed to fit into a deck before, and as a 7 mana sorcery that also requires tapping a bunch of creatures, the cost is quite steep. In this deck, though, the tapping could be an upside... but it's still a 7 mana sorcery. Not sure. Still, I'd kinda like to see how it ends up working, and as it stands, the creature tapping could be a good upside. And I do quite like to use on-theme and synergistic cards that wouldn't be particularly playable elsewhere. Tentative yea from me. If it gets approved and I build the deck, I think it would be on a short list of cards to watch to see how they perform, but I think it's worth giving it a shot.
The bolded part really speaks to me. This is exactly why I suggested Mob earlier. My creative juices flow at the sight of cards that have no home other than ours. But, I digress...

Question: how hard are we going on undying? If we're going ham on it, I have a suggestion that will really help us: Harbinger of Night. It'll make our creatures live forever, and then when it dies, it'll just come back too!

Also, yeah on Devout Invocation if that wasn't obvious.

And once again, my daughter has seen the emojis, so the following is courtesy of Scarlett: :poop: :poop: :poop: :poop: :poop: :poop: :poop: :poop: :shhh:
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 5/26/24 (Modern Horizons III)

duducrash
Still Learning

RxPhantom wrote:
1 year ago
And once again, my daughter has seen the emojis, so the following is courtesy of Scarlett: :poop: :poop: :poop: :poop: :poop: :poop: :poop: :poop: :shhh:
I see Scarlett is quite critical of the deck. A roast that puts @pokken's thread to shame

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 1 year ago

Harbinger is legit! I'll yea that for sure. That's secret tech i should pick up for just in case I ever build undying combo.

Also I'll suggest maybe Archangel of Tithes with the proviso that I haven't checked its price in a while. Its got some subtle tap synergy and makes it harder to interact with us while staying on theme. Seems decent.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

Legend
Aethernaut

Post by Legend » 1 year ago

Harbinger of Night Yay. An oldie but a goodie. Shrinks and kills opponent's creatures, too. Great find!
Angel of Serenity Undecided. There's already a 9 mana card and a 7 mana card in the que.
“Comboing in Commander is like dunking on a seven foot hoop.” – Dana Roach

“Making a deck that other people want to play against – that’s Commander.” – Gavin Duggan

"I want my brain to win games, not my cards." – Sheldon Menery

3drinks

I missed the post talking about angel of serenity. I was confused seeing all the reqs, now it makes sense, I'm with that I think, even if we can't use it with resto angel.

Looks like angel of serenity has the confirmations to get in, and taj-nar swordsmith...is as pending as skirsdag high priest. Harbinger of Night (and midnight banshee) are great finds, I hope someone adds them when they're on the clock.

On the clock today will be @Jemolk and @Crazy Monkey.
Crazy Monkey wrote:
1 year ago
On equipment and tutors for them, I was eyeing Amorphous Axe as the third way to give lulu changeling.
Man this is...really, really expensive for what it provides. I'd have to be real deep on this effect to really desire it.

Crazy Monkey
Arcane Themes

I will start by voting yea on Taj-Nar Swordsmith. I think we will probably have enough equipment to support it.

Then I was going nominate Amorphous Axe, but just changed my mind mid post. It's the same MV as Conspiracy, but within our tutor suite and the cost is spread out. I figured that we should discuss going to three copies of this effect. I had planned a whole discussion comparing it to Conspiracy.

EDIT: I think that I am looking at equipment too early. If I may, I'd like to retract this nomination, with a different card nominated below
SPOILER
Show
Hide
However, if we're going to include equipment tutors, then those can represent the extra copies of Runed Stalactite. I will instead officially nominate Masterwork of Ingenuity to represent the second copy of stalactite, assuming we have the tutors to support it. It can also be Skullclamp, because that's probably going to get nominated.
Last edited by Crazy Monkey 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
Commander Decks

Kemba | Kytheon | Talrand | Unesh | Teferi | Geth | primer Zada | Krenko | Torbran | Patron Orochi | Ghalta | Gargos | Medomai | The Count | Xenagos | Nikya | Jaheira, Artisan | Trostani | Athreos | Jarad | Ivy | Nin | Krark & Sakashima | Feather | Osgir | Gisela | Roon | Chulane | Sydri | Ertai | Mairsil | Vial & Malcolm | Prossh | Marath | Marisi | Syr Gwyn | Riku | Riku | Animar | Ghave | Tasigur | Muldrotha | Rayami | Zedruu | Yidris | Kynaios & Tiro | Saskia | Tymna & Kydele | Atraxa | Akiri & Silas | Sisay | Ur Dragon | Bridge | Horde | Najeela | Genju | Traxos

Dunharrow

Maybe we should consider Enlightened Tutor since it can also get Maskwood Nexus and for vehicles.

I am going to say to wait on Masterwork of Ingenuity. Until we actually have the equipment in our deck, I don't want to speculate that it can be supported.

I am also going to say that we are adding a lot of non-creatures here. I think we are going to run into an issue of having too many equipment and tutors for equipment... we really need this deck to be north of 30 creatures.

We have some good angels in there... but if we are going to have these ways to make our other creatures into angels, we should figure out what kind of creatures have good ETBs that we want to get into the deck.

Crazy Monkey
Arcane Themes

Honestly, that's a good point. That was a contemplation that I had yesterday. I got distracted by the topic of the day. If I may retract my nomination since it's ahead of other voting, then I will edit the post.

If my nomination above can be retracted, I would like to instead nominate Angel of Condemnation. It provides a way to trigger Lulu, can be untapped after exerting it for an O-ring effect, and is an angel as well.
Commander Decks

3drinks

Worth noting, enlightened blows the budget way out for something not so intrinsic like Yawgmoth.

duducrash
Still Learning

What are the cards up for voting now?

Enlightened Tutor is pretty great, but it would be another card over budget. And if we are in black, for arround that price (and cmc) we could run unconditional tutors, no?

Legend
Aethernaut

3drinks wrote:
1 year ago
Yawgmoth is confirmed, the loxodon and that seven mv sorcery are not.
I only counted 2 nays each (and 1 yay each) for Parhelion II and Devout Invocation. Is that all that's needed now to oust a nomination or are we still on 3?

“Making a deck that other people want to play against – that’s Commander.” – Gavin Duggan

Crazy Monkey
Arcane Themes

Legend wrote:
1 year ago
3drinks wrote:
1 year ago
Yawgmoth is confirmed, the loxodon and that seven mv sorcery are not.
I only counted 2 nays each (and 1 yay each) for Parhelion II and Devout Invocation. Is that all that's needed now to oust a nomination or are we still on 3?
Thanks for the reminder, I had abstained on both of those iirc, so I could see what the discussion on them would be. I am sympathetic to the "where else would you play it" argument. If voting on those is still open, I would yea Devout Invocation and nay Parhelion II because vehicle reanimator exists.
Commander Decks

3drinks

Hmm. I guess we're hitting the same problem of last time and running into not enough votes/forgotten or missed conversations. I thought this format would streamline things but I suppose I will need to go through after work and retabulate things. Noted.

Legend
Aethernaut

3drinks wrote:
1 year ago
Hmm. I guess we're hitting the same problem of last time and running into not enough votes/forgotten or missed conversations. I thought this format would streamline things but I suppose I will need to go through after work and retabulate things. Noted.
Ah man, it's all good, afaic. We're getting a lot more than we paid for. 🙂

Legend
Aethernaut

kirkusjones wrote:
1 year ago
If it helps, I'm a nay on Parhelion II and Devout Invocation.
So let be written, so let it be done.

Dunharrow

yay angel of condemnation.
enlightened tutor is not up for voting - that was more a philosophical discussion about the deck. If we are tutoring equipment we should actually know how many of them we are running, because right now we have more tutors than actual equipment in the deck.

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

Post by RxPhantom » 1 year ago

What does it mean to be "on the clock" here?
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 5/26/24 (Modern Horizons III)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”