The Community Deck Build Project!

3drinks
Kaalia's Personal Liaison
Pronoun: he / him

Post by 3drinks » 1 year ago

Well that confirms Ophiomancer, Valakut Awakening, Past in Flames, and Dreadhorde Arcanist.

I'm gonna go ahead and challenge Bitterblossom here. Why spring for the $30+ card when the bulk priced Dreadhorde Invasion can do the same job

It's gonna be really hard to vote Sad Robot out, and it's certainly not gonna be me that does it. Yay Sad Bot, but only if it's the MRD art.

Bitterblossom yay - 1 nay - 1
Solemn Simulacrum yay - 1 nay - 0

Tags:

Venedrex
Wait, we can have titles?
Answers: 2
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Venedrex » 1 year ago

Yeah, I was torn between suggesting Arcanist or Invasion. I think invasion is fantastic in this deck because normally invasion suffers from only being able to make one token, but with a sac outlet in the command zone, we are always maximizing the usefulness of the card, and playing it out prevents us from ever having to worry about our background eating something we want to keep. Yay for invasion.
Epicurean, EDH without Universes Beyond.

http://nxs.wf/np748831

duducrash
Still Learning

Post by duducrash » 1 year ago

Yay Ophiomancer Past in Flames , Valakut Awakening // Valakut Stoneforge Dreadhorde Arcanist , Bitterblossom and Solemn Simulacrum .

All good cards. Lets spice things up with questionable selections. Efreet Flamepainter double strike + recursion can get pretty crazy with all the pump

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

Post by RxPhantom » 1 year ago

I'd like to say yay to Efreet Flamepainter, reverse my yay on Bitterblossom, and also say yay to Dreadhorde Invasion if that's on the table. Point of clarification if it pleases the court, am I doing any of this right?
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 2/18/22 (Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty)

kirkusjones
Disciple of Dumb

Post by kirkusjones » 1 year ago

Why not run both, with the caveat for the budget build to just run Invasion over Bitterblossom instead of both together?

3drinks

Venedrex wrote:
1 year ago
Yeah, I was torn between suggesting Arcanist or Invasion. I think invasion is fantastic in this deck because normally invasion suffers from only being able to make one token, but with a sac outlet in the command zone, we are always maximizing the usefulness of the card, and playing it out prevents us from ever having to worry about our background eating something we want to keep. Yay for invasion.
Unfortunately, I already made my pick for the day, so I cannot suggest it yet. Can't vote for it so far.

Dragonlover

Post by Dragonlover » 1 year ago

I'll make Dreadhorde Invasion my pick, I was gonna suggest Bitterblossom but hadn't for staple avoidance reasons, and I'd forgotten about the Invasion

Bitterblossom - yay
Solemn Simulacrum - yay
Efreet Flamepainter - yay

Dragonlover
All my decks are here

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

Post by RxPhantom » 1 year ago

Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 2/18/22 (Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty)

3drinks

Looks like Sad Bot got confirmed into the list, unsurprisingly.

I'll go ahead and yay Dreadhorde Invasion as well. I believe the Flamepainter is strong enough, which ,,,will confirm it into the list with Sad Bot.

For today's card, if one Past in Flames is good, then I think two is even better. I recommend Backdraft Hellkite to the floor for consideration.

Bitterblossom yay - 1 nay - 2
Dreadhorde Invasion yay - 2 nay - 0
Backdraft Hellkite yay - 0 nay - 0
RxPhantom wrote:
1 year ago
Point of clarification if it pleases the court, am I doing any of this right?
Yes.
kirkusjones wrote:
1 year ago
Why not run both, with the caveat for the budget build to just run Invasion over Bitterblossom instead of both together?
Like a pre-built deck, it's easier to identify an upgrade card, than to look at this and say "sigh...do I have this $40 card lying around for it?" Though I agree bitterblossom is an easy include, this project looks most fun when it inspires others to actually build it, yeah?

kirkusjones
Disciple of Dumb

3drinks wrote:
1 year ago
kirkusjones wrote:
1 year ago
Like a pre-built deck, it's easier to identify an upgrade card, than to look at this and say "sigh...do I have this $40 card lying around for it?" Though I agree bitterblossom is an easy include, this project looks most fun when it inspires others to actually build it, yeah?
Fair point. I definitely didn't think about it in that way.

In that spirit then, Baleful Mastery? Cheating on the mana cost like Snuff Out with an eventual upgrade to Deadly Rollick down the line?

3drinks

I think that's a terrific example tbh!

I'd yay that, if that's your suggestion for the day.

Bitterblossom yay - 1 nay - 2
Dreadhorde Invasion yay - 2 nay - 0
Backdraft Hellkite yay - 0 nay - 0
Baleful Mastery yay - 1 nay 0
Last edited by 3drinks 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.

kirkusjones
Disciple of Dumb

Mastery is indeed my SCOTD™️.

Crazy Monkey
Arcane Themes

Post by Crazy Monkey » 1 year ago

Yea Baleful Mastery, Bitterblossom, Dreadhorde Invasion. Those all do the thing.
Yea Backdraft Hellkite as well, but a bit reluctantly. I have not had great performance out of it, but it fits the deck plan well.

I think so more card advantage is needed. I'll submit Fast // Furious as a high MV spell that adds some filtering.
Commander Decks

Kemba | Kytheon | Talrand | Unesh | Teferi | Geth | primer Zada | Krenko | Torbran | Patron Orochi | Ghalta | Gargos | Medomai | The Count | Xenagos | Nikya | Jaheira, Artisan | Trostani | Athreos | Jarad | Ivy | Nin | Krark & Sakashima | Feather | Osgir | Gisela | Roon | Chulane | Sydri | Ertai | Mairsil | Vial & Malcolm | Prossh | Marath | Marisi | Syr Gwyn | Riku | Riku | Animar | Ghave | Tasigur | Muldrotha | Rayami | Zedruu | Yidris | Kynaios & Tiro | Saskia | Tymna & Kydele | Atraxa | Akiri & Silas | Sisay | Ur Dragon | Bridge | Horde | Najeela | Genju | Traxos

Legend
Aethernaut

Post by Legend » 1 year ago

Baleful Mastery. Yay. Janky spot removal isn't so janky with this commander.
Backdraft Hellkite Yay. The deck needs a suite of quality, on-theme creatures, imo.
Bitterblossom Nay. Great card, obviously. But the price tag is high and we have a suitable sub.

I recommend Ogre Arsonist because it's only in 68 other decks despite being able to stop opponents from hiding their elfball theme in Gaea's Cradle, and because my favorite number is 69. Party time! Excellent!
“Comboing in Commander is like dunking on a seven foot hoop.” – Dana Roach

“Making a deck that other people want to play against – that’s Commander.” – Gavin Duggan

"I want my brain to win games, not my cards." – Sheldon Menery

aliciaofthevast
Phyrexian Flesh Agent
Pronoun: she / her

Post by aliciaofthevast » 1 year ago

I'm not sure fast//furious works the way you want it to here because they changed that? I also don't see how Ogre Arsonist is on theme and a five mana 3/3 doesn't seem to agree with a spell slinger deck. Nay and nay 😢

I'd like to recommend Tibalt's Trickery for today!

3drinks

Hmm. Looks like bitterblossom got the axe and baleful mastery, and dreadhorde invasion got confirmed.

Backdraft Hellkite yay - 2 nay - 0
Fast//Furious yay - 0 nay - 1
Ogre Arsonist yay - 0 nay - 1
Tibalt's Trickery yay - 0 nay - 0

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 1 year ago

I'm out on fast and furious purely for disliking the reference. As far as cars go I'm an a to b sort of guy.

Arsonist seems like a meme inclusion, which is never as funny as you think its going to be.

I can definitely cosign on trickery though.

My pick is Birgi, God of Storytelling // Harnfel, Horn of Bounty. It fuels us for doing what we wanna on either side and the horn is a non creature spell we can spin wheels with massively.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

3drinks

Oh. Right, tibalt's trickery. That ought to be an easy include. We can even use it offensively to get more triggers.

Before I vote on Birgi, how do you play that? The horn side is just trinket text yeah?

Backdraft Hellkite yay - 2 nay - 0
Fast//Furious yay - 0 nay - 2
Ogre Arsonist yay - 0 nay - 2
Tibalt's Trickery yay - 2 nay - 0
Birgi, God of Storytelling yay - 0 nay - 0

toctheyounger

So as it resolves you choose one side or the other. The front gives you free mana for every red spell cast, the back lets you dig through your library for what you want to see. Only one side is active at a time obviously.

It might not be a lock, but it could be valuable I guess.

3drinks

Right, no, I know that. I mean how often do you play the horn side? The legend side has to be what we're always after yeah?

toctheyounger

I think both have their merits. Mostly the front is what we're after, but if we're not seeing what we want in hand we have the option of digging for stuff.

Legend
Aethernaut

Post by Legend » 1 year ago

toctheyounger wrote:
1 year ago
Arsonist seems like a meme inclusion, which is never as funny as you think its going to be.
Hey man. No need to be belittling. A little fun about the #1 most underused card in commander isn't going to hurt anything.
“Comboing in Commander is like dunking on a seven foot hoop.” – Dana Roach

“Making a deck that other people want to play against – that’s Commander.” – Gavin Duggan

"I want my brain to win games, not my cards." – Sheldon Menery

toctheyounger

Legend wrote:
1 year ago
toctheyounger wrote:
1 year ago
Hey man. No need to be belittling. A little fun about the #1 most underused card in commander isn't going to hurt anything.
Ah yeah that terrible article. Abe Sargent, man. Hes got some takes.

No shade man, I just don't see it for the build myself.

Myllior
Answers: 1

Post by Myllior » 1 year ago

I'll vote yay for Backdraft Hellkite and Tibalt's Trickery (confirming them) and nay to Fast//Furious and Ogre Arsonist (nix'ing them).

I'll vote yay for Birgi, although with reservation. I think she leads us down a pseudo-storm route with wheels, rituals and Underworld Breach, which would be an interesting build but something we need to be cognisant of. Such a build would probably just be using the Background for its colour. Still a generically powerful card though.

Since we have the Hellkite and Past in Flames, I'll nominate their partner in crime Mizzix's Mastery. What's better than giving all your instants and sorceries flashback? Doing that then casting them all for free for a load of Livaan triggers.

PS: The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of Rakdos pseudo-storm. I might have to brew my own Livaan+Black deck.

duducrash
Still Learning

Post by duducrash » 1 year ago

Birgi, God of Storytelling // Harnfel, Horn of Bounty Yay.
Mizzix's Mastery yay!

Efreet Flamepainter is 2 Yays and - 0 nays but got lost in the shuffle I guess!

Id like to nominate Storm-Kiln Artist spellslinger ramp!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”