NEXUS FLAMINGO ☆ Exclusively For Custom Card Connoisseurs and Gnomes

Sporegorger_Dragon
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Sporegorger_Dragon » 2 years ago

Sultai Ultimatum
uubbbgg
Sorcery (R)
Exchange your library and graveyard, then shuffle your library. Create an X/X black, green, and blue Zombie Horror creature token, where X is the number of creature cards in your graveyard plus the number of creature cards you own in exile. Exile Sultai Ultimatum.
SPOILER
Show
Hide
Note: Feel I needed to clarify that the player shuffles the library only.

Temur Ultimatum
rrggguu
Sorcery (R)
Create two 4/4 green Rhino creature tokens. Creatures you control gain haste and trample until end of turn. Draw a card for each creature you control with power 4 or greater.
SPOILER
Show
Hide
Note: Activates both Ferocious and Formidable for Temur!

IIW: Cleave
Last edited by Sporegorger_Dragon 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
"What's with you and pitcher plants?" -NinjaCaterpie, 27-9-2021

Mergatroid_Jones
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Mergatroid_Jones » 2 years ago

Qarsi Overmaster 2GU
Creature- Human Cleric (U)
T: Draw a card, then manifest a card from your hand.
3: Return target face down creature you control to its owner's hand.
2/4

IIW: A card with the subtype Plains.

chetoos
Answers: 3

Post by chetoos » 2 years ago

Khanfall 3BRG
Sorcery (R)
As an additional cost to cast this spell, you may reveal any number of dragon cards in your hand.
Khanfall deals 4 damage to each non-dragon creature, or a number equal to the number of dragons you control plus the number of dragon cards revealed, whichever is higher. Draw a card for each Dragon you control and each dragon card you revealed in your hand. Whenever a creature you don't control dies this turn, that creature's controller loses 2 life.
Exile this card from your graveyard: Draft a card from this card's spellbook. That card perpetually gains "You may spend mana as though it were mana of any color to cast this spell or activate this card's abilities". Activate this ability only if you control at least 3 dragons.
One path of the world lead to the destruction of the clans at the hands of the savage dragons.
Spellbook:
Dragonfall 3URW
Sorcery (R)
As an additional cost to cast this spell, reveal any number of legendary non-dragon cards from your hand.
Draw a card for each legendary non-dragon creature you control and each legendary non-dragon card you revealed from your hand, then discard 2 cards if you drew at least 2 cards. All Dragons and dragon cards in player's hands perpetually get -2/-2 and lose flying. If a source you control would deal damage to an opponent or a permanent an opponent controls this turn, it deals double that damage instead.
Exile This card from your graveyard: Draft a card from this card's spellbook That card perpetually gains "You may spend mana as though it were mana of any color to cast this spell or activate this card's abilities". Activate this ability only if you control at least 2 legendary non-dragon creatures.
Another path the world took lead to the dragons falling from the sky, due to the combined might of the great Khans.
Spellbook: IIW: Draft a card from this card's spellbook.
Last edited by chetoos 2 years ago, edited 2 times in total.

Juancu

Post by Juancu » 2 years ago

Sultai Concoction XB
Sorcery - Recipe (U)
Brew with green and blue (X increases by 2 if it's paid including G and U mana.)
Destroy target creature with mana value X or less. Draw a card.

IIW: A high score in Scrabble
Last edited by Juancu 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

Sporegorger_Dragon

chetoos wrote:
2 years ago
Spellbook:
ankle shanker
savage knuckleblade
butcher of the horde
ivorytusk fortress
mantis rider
I think you're missing a Sultai creature here? Mardu's repeated twice with Ankle Shanker and Butcher of the Horde.

chetoos

Sporegorger_Dragon wrote:
2 years ago
chetoos wrote:
2 years ago
Spellbook:
ankle shanker
savage knuckleblade
butcher of the horde
ivorytusk fortress
mantis rider
I think you're missing a Sultai creature here? Mardu's repeated twice with Ankle Shanker and Butcher of the Horde.
Thanks for the heads up.

Juancu

Timeskip 1UU
Sorcery (alchemy)
Skip the next 10 turns. For each card in your hand or library, if it belongs to a set with a planar setting, change it to a random card with the same mana value and color identity from a newer set with the same planar setting. Each card changed this way perpetually gains synergy (every second card you cast with synergy causes you to draw a card.)

Megiddo
MEG

Post by Megiddo » 2 years ago

defeated
MEG

Cythare
Say You'll Dismember Me

Post by Cythare » 2 years ago

Follower of Twin Timelines 1GU
Creature — Human Shaman (U)
Ward 2
Triggered abilities of permanents you control trigger as though you've chosen Khans and Dragons.
3/2

IIW: Multicolored Nezumi
Level 2 Judge circa 2016
Draft my cube! (630 cards)

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 126

Post by void_nothing » 2 years ago

Pygyzy - New Sieges would be fun, and Rise and Fall are good flavor words to use. Rise mode is reasonable, Fall mode seems ripe for annoyance at best and sacrifice outlet wombo combos at worst. Card looks like fun overall but knobs would need to be tweaked, and this isn't anything all that new, yknow?

Sporegorger_Dragon - Nah, you can't rearrange the mana symbol order just for Ultimatums to make them look nicer. Sultai: A token of that size is a big advantage over Morality Shift at the same CMC (although a much more difficult mana cost), but it does feel right for the clan and also the X determination is some nice mathy fun. Temur: Not that big of a fan, this is just "do a lot of in-color stuff", but as far as playing it that would probably actually be fun.

Mergatroid_Jones - I like this - it's a good but not obtrusive use of manifest and the Mel in me loves the symmetry of morph's base cost and the 3 cost to bounce a face-down fella. Just a good, solid Sultai card from, well, the old timeline.

chetoos - There are a lot of designs from the Arena digital-only cards that I like and that I think are making good use of the limitations but also the new possibilities of the digital space. That I can't say about spellbooks. A big list of "remember these old cards" does not a compelling design make. Except for Hinterland Chef, that's the %$#% greatest. Anyway, uh, I didn't read these cards because they made my eyes hurt. And digital-only is also not an excuse for terms and conditions-length text boxes. But at least flavorwise it seems like they should both be five-color.

Juancu - As neat as brew is in principle, how many designs are you going to get off the keyword? One cycle, maybe? As-is this is a good-in-Limited Disembowel variant with a totally flavorless name.

Juancu - The next... all the next ten turns? What, yours or all of them? What's the point of that line of text? This would have to be not only digital-only but Un- and acorn-stamped.

Cythare - Nice idea but really narrow. This interacts with one cycle of rares - most of the modal cards in Fate Reforged didn't have flavor words at all. Asking me to imagine a whole new mechanic revolving around the Khans/Dragons choice is too much to assume.

HM: Pygyzy
Winner: @Mergatroid_Jones
Next: A card with the subtype Plains
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

chetoos

Jamuraan Rain Blesser W
Creature - Human Cleric
When Jamuraan Rain Blesser enters the battlefield, you may exile a cleric card or a land card from your hand. If you do, conjure a card named Scrubland to your hand.
As long as another cleric or plains entered the battlefield under your control this turn, Jamuraan rain blesser has lifelink.
1/1

In case the above is too cheeky:
Uncovered Thran Farmland
Land - Plains
This card enters the battlefield tapped
Whenever this or another plains enters the battlefield under your control, choose a creature card in your hand. That card perpetually gets +1`/+1
t: creatures you control gain vigilance until end of turn. Activate this ability only if you control 5 or more plains.

IIW: Draft a card from this card's spellbook.
Last edited by chetoos 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

Ink-Treader

Post by Ink-Treader » 2 years ago

Sunblessed Fields
Enchantment Land - Plains (U)
(T: Add W.)
Bestow 2W (If you cast this card for its bestow cost, it's an Aura spell with enchant creature. It becomes a land again if it's not attached to a creature.)
Sunblessed Fields enters the battlefield tapped.
Enchanted creature gets +2/+2 and has "As long as you control three or more Plains, this has lifelink."

IIW: Text changing

Juancu

Farm
Land - Plains
T: Add W
3W, Discard a basic Plains: Draw a card.

There's always that conundrum, "You can't make a land strictly better than a basic land, or it would replace them", but what if the basic lands were made better to compete? So, Farm may seem better than a basic, but it can't be discarded to another Farm, so it's in flux. (And it makes all basic plains in existence better.)

IIW: a high score in Scrabble

Cythare
Say You'll Dismember Me

Resource - like tribal, but for land types

Nearheath Sharecropper 1G
Resource Creature — Human Peasant Plains (U)
When Nearheath Sharecropper enters the battlefield, you may search your library for a Plains card, reveal it, put it into your hand, then shuffle.
1/1

Level 2 Judge circa 2016

Sporegorger_Dragon

Edit: Beaten by one minute.

Shy Valley Alseid
Land Creature - Mountain Plains Nymph (U) ()
({T}: Add {R} or {W}.)
1/0
Their laughs and calls are often mistaken for the echoes of one's own voice.

IIW: Rebecca Guay faerie.

Ulka

Post by Ulka » 2 years ago

Grass Seas
Land - Plains (C)
Grass Seas enters the battlefield tapped unless you control three or more other Plains.
When Grass Seas enters the battlefield, search your library for up to one basic plains card, reveal it and put it in your hand. Shuffle. If an opponent controls more land than you, search your library for up to one basic plains card and one plains card instead.

IIW: A card who's art's background is a snowy forest.
Modern: Goryo's Gifts | Heartless Architect | Soul Sisters | MonoGreen Devotion
Pauper: Blackened Eggs | Zombies | Domain Zoo | Sultai Teachings | Jund Gardens

Megiddo
MEG

Post by Megiddo » 2 years ago

Ondu Mammoth 1WW
Creature - Elephant {R}
As long as Ondu Mammoth isn't on the battlefield, it has all characteristics of Ondu Valley in addition to its own.
2/4
//
Ondu Valley
Land - Plains
Ondu Valley enters the battlefield tapped.

IIW: Ruins of _____
MEG

Juancu

Lexus Plains
Land - Plains
Lexus Plains enters the battlefield tapped.
(T: Add W)
Synonymity 1WW (1WW, Discard this card: Search your library for a card that includes in its name a word from this card's thesaurus, reveal it, and put it into your hand. Shuffle afterwards.)
Thesaurus: Field, Meadow, Heath, Prairie, Savannah, Steppe, Tundra, Veld.
Last edited by Juancu 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

Ulka

Post by Ulka » 2 years ago

Juancu wrote:
2 years ago
Lexus Plains
Land - Plains
Synonymity 1WW (1WW, Discard this card: Search your library for a card that includes in its name a word from this card's thesaurus, reveal it, and put it into your hand. Shuffle afterwards.)
Thesaurus: Field, Meadow, Heath, Prairy, Savannah, Steppe, Tundra, Veld.
I think you mean Prairie
Modern: Goryo's Gifts | Heartless Architect | Soul Sisters | MonoGreen Devotion
Pauper: Blackened Eggs | Zombies | Domain Zoo | Sultai Teachings | Jund Gardens

Mergatroid_Jones

Post by Mergatroid_Jones » 2 years ago

chetoos wrote:
2 years ago
Jamuraan Rain Blesser W
Creature - Human Cleric
When Jamuraan Rain Blesser enters the battlefield, you may exile a cleric card or a land card from your hand. If you do, conjure a card named Scrubland to your hand.
As long as another cleric or plains entered the battlefield under your control this turn, Jamuraan rain blesser has lifelink.
1/1

In case the above is too cheeky:
Uncovered Thran Farmland
Land - Plains
This card enters the battlefield tapped
Whenever this or another plains enters the battlefield under your control, choose a creature card in your hand. That card perpetually gets +1`/+1
t: creatures you control gain vigilance until end of turn. Activate this ability only if you control 5 or more plains.

I'm not crazy about the digital only cards, but I can see that there are a few neat design applications.

Jamuraan Rain Blesser is a pretty innocuous and safe design, despite referring to a very valuable card. And no, it is not a card with the plains subtype, so it doesn't fit the challenge.

Uncovered Thran Farmland is pretty weird. It's a little bit like Oran-Rief, the Vastwood for cards in your hand.

The cards are neither one overpowered, and they do justify their use of digital-only mechanics. I don't love them, but I'll admit part of that is I have a bias against digital-only cards.

Ink-Treader wrote:
2 years ago
Sunblessed Fields
Enchantment Land - Plains (U)
Bestow 2W (If you cast this card for its bestow cost, it's an Aura spell with enchant creature. It becomes a land again if it's not attached to a creature.)
Sunblessed Fields enters the battlefield tapped.
Enchanted creature gets +2/+2 and has "As long as you control three or more Plains, this has lifelink."

IIW: Text changing
I like it a lot. I think it should say "as long as you control three or more OTHER Plains..." simply to keep people from counting it by mistake.

But I think the balance is pretty much on point, and it is a more interesting choice to play or bestowing than it is with most bestow creatures.
Juancu wrote:
2 years ago
Farm
Land - Plains
T: Add W
3W, Discard a basic Plains: Draw a card.

There's always that conundrum, "You can't make a land strictly better than a basic land, or it would replace them", but what if the basic lands were made better to compete? So, Farm may seem better than a basic, but it can't be discarded to another Farm, so it's in flux. (And it makes all basic plains in existence better.)

IIW: a high score in Scrabble
I understand your thinking, and you aren't wrong. I assume this would be a cycle of five, and the ability would be the same on each.

This is pushing a boundary that you don't wan't to push too much. As long as there aren't more cycles like this, it's fine, but the more ETB untapped lands that tap for colored mana there are, the less strength the "better than a basic" principal holds, and I like to hold fast to principals like that.
Cythare wrote:
2 years ago
Resource - like tribal, but for land types

Nearheath Sharecropper 1G
Resource Creature — Human Peasant Plains (U)
When Nearheath Sharecropper enters the battlefield, you may search your library for a Plains card, reveal it, put it into your hand, then shuffle.
1/1

I don't really like the name of the supertype as resource, but I think the flavor of the card is pretty good. The land and those who till it are a unit in proper feudal style. The sharecropping flavor is there too. "I own all the land, but you can live on this part."

This is an incredibly powerful card: it's Sylvan Ranger + Avacyn's Pilgrim. It can only get a plains, but it's not limited to basics. That means you can also use it to fetch extra copies of itself, putting a little Squadron Hawk into the mix.

The fact that it only works in green/white is the only thing that stops me from rejecting this outright for being too powerful.

Sporegorger_Dragon wrote:
2 years ago
Edit: Beaten by one minute.

Shy Valley Alseid
Land Creature - Mountain Plains Nymph (U) ()
({T}: Add {R} or {W}.)
1/0
Their laughs and calls are often mistaken for the echoes of one's own voice.

IIW: Rebecca Guay faerie.
Most of these cards are in danger of being overpowered. This one is underpowered. Land creatures still die for having zero toughness, so this is so incredibly niche as to be unplayable.

I could see it being part of some odd combo, but even that is a bit far-fetched. Poor thing doesn't even work with Terra Eternal.
Ulka wrote:
2 years ago
Grass Seas
Land - Plains (C)
Grass Seas enters the battlefield tapped unless you control three or more other Plains.
When Grass Seas enters the battlefield, search your library for up to one basic plains card, reveal it and put it in your hand. Shuffle. If an opponent controls more land than you, search your library for up to one basic plains card and one plains card instead.

IIW: A card who's art's background is a snowy forest.
Two free lands on a 0 mana card? This strikes me as Library of Alexandria level of busted. Even without the ability to get double lands it's still way too good.

Card advantage on a land is not something to grant lightly. I think a more realistic design would be:

Grassy Seas
Land- Plains (U)
Grassy Seas enters the battlefield tapped. When it does, you may pay 1. If you do, search your library for a basic plains and reveal it. Put it into your hand, then shuffle.

Even as toned down as that is, I could see it being a very strong uncommon.
Megiddo wrote:
2 years ago
Ondu Mammoth 1WW
Creature - Elephant {R}
As long as Ondu Mammoth isn't on the battlefield, it has all characteristics of Ondu Valley in addition to its own.
2/4
//
Ondu Valley
Land - Plains
Ondu Valley enters the battlefield tapped.

IIW: Ruins of _____
In most ways the MDFC lands are already a land when they aren't on the battlefield. But not in one very important way: this is fetchable. It's not actually broken, since the 0 mana 2/4 does cost a land drop.

But on top of how powerful fetch-lands already are, I don't see adding an option to turn your white fetches into 2/4 blockers with flash as really a positive thing.

I would be more comfortable with a 2/2 for 1W.

EDIT: Hold on, doesn't "all characteristics" mean it will enter the battlefield tapped, since it wasn't on the battlefield as it was entering the battlefield? That's gonna need some reminder text. But it does make the design a good bit more conservative.
Juancu wrote:
2 years ago
Lexus Plains
Land - Plains
Thesaurus: Field, Meadow, Heath, Prairie, Savannah, Steppe, Tundra, Veld.
Well that's rather cute. It seems like a pretty swell un-card to me. I do wish un-cards were still silver-bordered, but I suppose this is one they would print without an acorn stamp now. This actually does seem like a pretty neat un-mechanic that you could put on several (but not too many) cards.

Winner: Ink-Treader for Sunblessed Fields
HM: JuanCu for Farm

Next: Text Changing

chetoos

Overloading Weird 3UR
Creature - Weird
When Overloading Weird enters the battlefield, draft a card from its spellbook. That card perpetually costs 2 more, replaces all instances of "target" with "each" and gains "You may spend mana as though it were mana of any color to cast this spell."
Prowess, Ward -- This creature's controller Seeks an instant or sorcery spell
3/6

Spellbook: (I did just kind of grab this list by going alphabetical through the list of instants and sorceries in gatherer...)

Last edited by chetoos 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

Cythare
Say You'll Dismember Me

Applied Mathemagician 1GU
Creature — Human Wizard (U)
When Applied Mathemagician enters the battlefield, conjure a card named Neoform into your hand.
Whenever a card is put into your hand from anywhere, perpetually replace each integer or integer word in that card's text box with the next largest integer or integer word.
2/2

Level 2 Judge circa 2016

Phyrexian Editor

Post by Phyrexian Editor » 2 years ago

Box of Very Big Cloaks 3
Artifact {R}
As Box of Very Big Cloaks enters the battlefield, choose a creature type. Goblins you control are that creature type instead, and replace all instances of the word "goblin" on spells and permanents you control and on cards in your hand, library, and graveyard with that creature type.
"Stack two goblins for a dwarf. Stack three goblins for a human. Three by four for a centaur. The cloak does the rest!" -Snicker-Poker, goblin inventor

IIW: A mechanic that creates a new game piece, like Venture or Daybound.

Legend
Aethernaut

Post by Legend » 2 years ago

Disillusion (Uncommon)
1B
Instant
Exile target enchantment you don't control.
Overload 3B (You may cast this spell for its overload cost. If you do, change its text by replacing all instances of "target" with "each.")

IIW: "each color among cards in your graveyard"
“Comboing in Commander is like dunking on a seven foot hoop.” – Dana Roach

“Making a deck that other people want to play against – that’s Commander.” – Gavin Duggan

"I want my brain to win games, not my cards." – Sheldon Menery

Ink-Treader

Post by Ink-Treader » 2 years ago

I shall try to judge in about 12 hours. Maybe give 1 or two.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contests & Games”