SCD: Generous Patron

PrimevalCommander
Pronoun: he / him

Post by PrimevalCommander » 2 years ago

Saw this card mentioned on youtube some time ago and became interested in it's sheer efficiency for a non-blue creature deck for a draw creature. : ETB Draw 2 cards as long as opponents control at least 2 creatures seems like an above average rate. Mulldrifter [/card] is one of the cheapest ways to draw 2 cards on a creature and plants itself in the graveyard. Not being in blue makes this look like a good alternative.

Compare to: Each of these either more expensive, requires a self sac/other board presence, or draws less cards. My Karador deck has trouble drawing cards because I ignore powerful instants and sorceries and look for creatures. Getting the proper redundancy in the deck to keep cards flowing has been a challenge. All I want is a low cost creature that can draw me cards without much investment. I am also looking at Grim Haruspex and cards like that, but I don't typically have much of a board state to get multiple triggers. I suppose over time they will pay off, but I really just want a turn 3-4 play that can get me a couple cards and maybe come back later for a couple more.

I just picked up one of these and will be trying it out, but I wanted to ask if anyone else likes this card.

Mookie
Answers: 48
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Mookie » 2 years ago

I'm running Generous Patron in my Animar, Soul of Elements deck... along with pretty much every other Mulldrifter effect. It's pretty solid there, and the ability to throw an extra +1/+1 counter on Animar is much appreciated.

If you're running any actual counter synergies (especially -1/-1 counters), it starts to look insane - Hapatra, Vizier of Poisons loves it, and it can also work well in Atraxa, Praetors' Voice.

If you don't have any synergies and are running it purely as a Divination with a body, I'd usually pass - green has much stronger draw options, from Beast Whisperer to Return of the Wildspeaker.

UnfulfilledDesires
Pronoun: they / them

Post by UnfulfilledDesires » 2 years ago

I'm a fan. In addition to what's already been mentioned, it's an Elf: one of the strongest creature types in the game. For instance, you can return it with Wirewood Symbiote for additional value.

Sinis

Post by Sinis » 2 years ago

A friend of mine used it in a Hapatra, Vizier of Poisons deck, where you're already throwing (unkind) counters on things.

Arebennian

Post by Arebennian » 2 years ago

Great in Kenrith

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy
Answers: 1

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 2 years ago

Works great with evolutionary escalation! Draw a card on each of your turns and grow some big tomatoes with which to rumble.
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 2 years ago

I don't like depending on my opponents board states for card draw when I might need it to hit my land drops. Not everyone is going to have creatures on turn 2/3.

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

Post by ISBPathfinder » 2 years ago

My problem is that I really don't find a 2 mana draw 3 in green to be all that compelling anymore. Beyond that, it actually can be a problem if you are trying to use it more than once as you are actually giving out some amount of power and that can backfire. I haven't actually played with or against it but Mulldrifter has fallen off on the power scale quite a bit since olden days of commander. I am not saying that isn't a playable level anymore its just not a desirable effect anymore for most decks.
[EDH] Vadrok List (Suicide Chads) | Evelyn List (Vamp Mill) | Sanwell List | Danitha List | Indominus List | Ratadrabik List

Sharpened

Post by Sharpened » 2 years ago

As a generic 3 mana draw 2 it's not particularly good. It gives bonuses to your opponents creatures and they need to have them, which you can't always count on.

As a draw engine, because your deck is already putting counters on your opponents creatures, it's fantastic.

In the first case, there are better options, so I wouldn't run it.
In the second case, it's very strong, and highly worthwhile.

PrimevalCommander

Post by PrimevalCommander » 2 years ago

Sharpened wrote:
2 years ago
As a generic 3 mana draw 2 it's not particularly good. It gives bonuses to your opponents creatures and they need to have them, which you can't always count on.

Would you mind listing a few options for 3 mana draw 2 on a creature with little to no additional investment required. It may be difficult to trigger both draws by turn 3, but at any other point in the game I fully expect to find at least 2 opposing creatures that wouldn't be deadly with an extra +1/+1. Open to other ideas.

Midnight Reaper and Grim Haruspex are on my list to try if this card doesn't meet my standards. Welcoming Vampire looks good too.

Dunharrow

Post by Dunharrow » 2 years ago

PrimevalCommander wrote:
2 years ago
Sharpened wrote:
2 years ago

Would you mind listing a few options for 3 mana draw 2 on a creature with little to no additional investment required. It may be difficult to trigger both draws by turn 3, but at any other point in the game I fully expect to find at least 2 opposing creatures that wouldn't be deadly with an extra +1/+1. Open to other ideas.

Midnight Reaper and Grim Haruspex are on my list to try if this card doesn't meet my standards. Welcoming Vampire looks good too.
For draw 2 I personally like Night's Whisper. If you specifically want a creature I prefer the 2-drops that cantrip. Or Champion of Wits.
Fell Stinger is also great.
The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy
Answers: 1

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 2 years ago

Dunharrow wrote:
2 years ago
PrimevalCommander wrote:
2 years ago
Sharpened wrote:
2 years ago

For draw 2 I personally like Night's Whisper. If you specifically want a creature I prefer the 2-drops that cantrip. Or Champion of Wits.
Fell Stinger is also great.
Fell Stinger is the real MF deal.
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

hyalopterouslemur

Post by hyalopterouslemur » 2 years ago

She has value with infect and wither cards, amd can be lulz with Black Sun's Zenith.

I've used her in Derevi Stax, where she exists just to make creatures hit Meekstone and be unable to untap.
Thanks to Feyd_Ruin for the avatar!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”