30+ Creature Type Changeling Tribal

Tribbles
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Tribbles » 3 years ago

Sefir wrote:
3 years ago
For every changeling fan out there who plays Haakon, Stromgald Scourge, how do you put him in play? The deck has 0 discard outlets to put him in gy from hand so that he can be casted normally. Isn't it too hard and restricting to play him just with The Ur-Dragon ability or Cryptic Gateway?
It's not strictly the primary goal of those types of brews, and isn't good with graveyard hate, but you'd also run cards like Entomb or Buried Alive to really try for it. Otherwise, discard to hand size as mentioned or something like that.

It's not optimal, it's just hilarious.

Tags:

narglfrob
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by narglfrob » 3 years ago

So after some brewing and deck testing, here is a brain dump of ideas / things I'm testing / deck directions I'm taking it. I suspect many of these directions might not be to materpillar's style, but I wanted to share them here incase they pique anyone else's interest, and to foster discussion.

Haakon
Haakon, Stromgald Scourge and Pyre of Heroes is absolutely insane in testing. Pyre tutoring for Haakon off of any 2cmc changeling, and Haakon recurring food to feed to Pyre. Repeatedly casting Masked Vandal from the yard... it just feels so good, and is everything I've ever wanted in a Haakon deck, an old favorite card of mine that I've always wanted to play in EDH. Finally I have a home for him! This interaction is so good I'm allowing myself a cheat card in Birthing Pod. Keeping an eye on Buried Alive and Entomb too.

Note: Patron of the Vein doesn't exile your own creatures, so it plays friendly with Haakon. Its cmc is still too high (especially since I have drastically reduced the average cmc of my list), but I haven't cut it yet because I promised materpillar I would play it once before cutting it, and I still haven't drawn it. :S

Haakon played so well, I really want a sac outlet to be able to repeatedly recast changelings from the yard, ideally one thats readily tutorable, and has good utility when Haakon is not online. Currently I am assessing Goblin Chirurgeon who can regenerate my engine pieces in a pinch.

Other Tech - Tier 1
  • Birchlore Rangers - a 1 mana gemhide sliver (expect everyone only taps for 1/2 a mana), that also gives everyone haste. Generates infinite mana during a champion / oblivion ring loop if you are running that.
  • Goblin Recruiter - Tutor for a pile of Realmwalker, followed by Universal Automaton and a stack of either cheap or utility changelings. Next turn draw and cast Realmwalker followed by a stream of cards from your top deck (sadly, Realmwalker can't cast Crib Swap). Insert Tuktuk Scrapper into this pile if your need to nuke some artifacts. Looking at the numbers, you cast Recruiter on your turn for 2 mana. Then the next turn, you can up to 8 changeling ETB triggers for 8 mana. (and it scales, so if you only have 4 mana available, you can get 4 ETB triggers). The only card that competes with this rate of return (ETB triggers for mana spent) is Hibernation Sliver (one of the best cards in the deck), and it requires you to draw other cards alongside it to do its job, whereas Recruiter does not.
  • Scourge of Valkas - So far for me, the ETB direct damage triggers of Dragon Tempest and Scourge of Valkas have been a great way at finishing games. To me Lathliss, Dragon Queen just seems so slow, both not doing anything on ETB, and the tokens not having haste. Scourge of Valkas is also interaction for my opponents creatures, which seems fantastic in the mid-game.
  • Cateran Summons - Fetching Universal Automaton effectively makes this a 1cmc changeling (which is already good enough), but it has very high upside, giving you the option to fetch removal or finishers in a pinch.
Other Tech - Tier 2
Gnarlroot Trapper - a 1cmc mana dork for a deck that wants early mana.
Sparksmith - fundamentally, this format is based around small dorky commanders, and decks that rely on those commanders to function. Indefinitely denying your opponents access to their commanders for 2mana seems good.
Wayward Servant - a nice blood artist effect, and incidental lifegain which I have been wanting. Nice that it works with our return to hand gameplan, and my burgeoning graveyard recursion plan.
Elvish Guidance - another 3cmc scaling mana source.
Kolaghan, the Storm's Fury - Not totally sure about this one, but it does a lot of damage without much setup from out of nowhere (haste from Dash) and for only 4cmc. Note, the pump triggers affects all creatures, so you can get in the red zone with your random Risen Reefs as well. Look at how total power scales with how many 1/1 Changelings you start with:
  • Starting Number of 1/1 Changelings → Total Attacking Power
  • 2 → 15
  • 3 → 23
  • 4 → 33
  • 5 → 45
Naban, Dean of Iteration - essentially Molten Echoes on a body for 2cmc?

Anyways, loving this deck and having a blast playtesting it. I played a lot during Lorwyn so its very nostalgic for me. Can't wait to build it in paper.

Here is my list if anyone wants to check it out.

materpillar
the caterpillar

Post by materpillar » 3 years ago

narglfrob wrote:
3 years ago
Wow crazy, I will have to try it. Also if that's the case (i.e. ETB re-use is that important to the deck), then Emiel should be nuts as it loops for so much cheaper (outside of a 0 or 1cmc changeling) and is more flexible (protects against removal, blinks non-changelings).
I find that Yuriko, the Tiger's Shadow only draws me 1-2 cards and then the table immediately freaks out and hard focuses my boardstate into oblivion. Adding Mistwalker will make her a bit better though.
narglfrob wrote:
3 years ago
Also, have you ever considered Marwyn, the Nurturer?
Yeah. I found that I liked Elvish Archdruid better since I could play changelings before or after the archdruid whereas I found only casting changelings after Marwyrn to be a significant drawback. The upside of doing infinite things was never relevant for me.
Tribbles wrote:
3 years ago
That's the same reason I'm here! I played with Tomer's brew on MTGGoldfish initially, but found this one to be nicer, more on theme, and more hilarious. That said, using Haakon, Stromgald Scourge and Rooftop Storm from that brew to bring out Morophon and get a discounted Ur-Dragon was amazing. Tomer's brew is definitely less focused and just has more "good stuff", imo.
I use Moggcatcher to do this instead of Rooftop Storm.
Have you tried Tazri, Beacon of Unity, or some other party-based cards? I know there's only a few, and most aren't great, but I've seen this one bandied about and it looks promising.
I think the activation cost on Tazri is far too steep and will wiff too often.
The more I think about interactions also, the more I think Mana Echoes, as discussed earlier in the thread, should be in here. Not 100% sure this works, but the idea of having a Reaper King on the field, Didgeridoo'ing out a Changeling Titan to champion out someone to protect it, vindicating something, and then generating mana off the instant-speed ETB is hilarious. My friend characterised a lot of interactions in this deck as "bullsh*t", and this has to add to that, haha.
I'm currently testing Mana Echoes. Note, it goes infinite with Emiel the Blessed very easily.

Didgeridoo, Hibernation Sliver and Mana Echoes are also effectively infinite.

I'm just a bit unsure of if outside of Didgeridoo and Emiel that there are enough colorless mana-sinks in the deck. Hence my current testing.
narglfrob wrote:
3 years ago
Haakon
Haakon, Stromgald Scourge and Pyre of Heroes is absolutely insane in testing. Pyre tutoring for Haakon off of any 2cmc changeling, and Haakon recurring food to feed to Pyre. Repeatedly casting Masked Vandal from the yard... it just feels so good, and is everything I've ever wanted in a Haakon deck, an old favorite card of mine that I've always wanted to play in EDH. Finally I have a home for him! This interaction is so good I'm allowing myself a cheat card in Birthing Pod. Keeping an eye on Buried Alive and Entomb too.

Haakon played so well, I really want a sac outlet to be able to repeatedly recast changelings from the yard, ideally one thats readily tutorable, and has good utility when Haakon is not online. Currently I am assessing Goblin Chirurgeon who can regenerate my engine pieces in a pinch.
If you're running Haakon, Stromgald Scourge, it's probably worth running Nameless Inversion and Knight Exemplar. Seaside Haven might also be worth a consideration if your mana can support it.
Birchlore Rangers - a 1 mana gemhide sliver (expect everyone only taps for 1/2 a mana), that also gives everyone haste. Generates infinite mana during a champion / oblivion ring loop if you are running that.
There's just soo many good elf options. :/
I just can't see this being better than Priest of Titania or Wirewood Symbiote
Goblin Recruiter - Tutor for a pile of Realmwalker, followed by Universal Automaton and a stack of either cheap or utility changelings. Next turn draw and cast Realmwalker followed by a stream of cards from your top deck (sadly, Realmwalker can't cast Crib Swap). Insert Tuktuk Scrapper into this pile if your need to nuke some artifacts. Looking at the numbers, you cast Recruiter on your turn for 2 mana. Then the next turn, you can up to 8 changeling ETB triggers for 8 mana. (and it scales, so if you only have 4 mana available, you can get 4 ETB triggers). The only card that competes with this rate of return (ETB triggers for mana spent) is Hibernation Sliver (one of the best cards in the deck), and it requires you to draw other cards alongside it to do its job, whereas Recruiter does not.
... that's pretty disgusting. I think Dwarven Recruiter might be better because it can also find Magda, Brazen Outlaw which might spike the amount of ETBs possible even higher.
Scourge of Valkas - So far for me, the ETB direct damage triggers of Dragon Tempest and Scourge of Valkas have been a great way at finishing games. To me Lathliss, Dragon Queen just seems so slow, both not doing anything on ETB, and the tokens not having haste. Scourge of Valkas is also interaction for my opponents creatures, which seems fantastic in the mid-game.
I found Lathliss, Dragon Queen to be a Wrath or Die card. Scourge of Valkas is probably just as strong. I'm just scared of that RRR
Cateran Summons - Fetching Universal Automaton effectively makes this a 1cmc changeling (which is already good enough), but it has very high upside, giving you the option to fetch removal or finishers in a pinch.
I never thought of this as a 1-mana changeling. Thinking about it that way, it's probably worth a slot. The ability to fetch Universal Automaton or Graveshifter is actually pretty useful. Extra points for Maskwood Nexus.

Sparksmith - fundamentally, this format is based around small dorky commanders, and decks that rely on those commanders to function. Indefinitely denying your opponents access to their commanders for 2mana seems good.
Huh, I never considered the Sparksmith. I can see him fitting into some good metagames. I worry he'll eat a lot of removal though.
Wayward Servant - a nice blood artist effect, and incidental lifegain which I have been wanting. Nice that it works with our return to hand gameplan, and my burgeoning graveyard recursion plan.
He could certainly be good. I find this affect to gain a lot of tablewide hate though.
Elvish Guidance - another 3cmc scaling mana source.
I dismissed this on my first look at it. I wonder if it's better than Elvish Archdruid because it is less likely to eat removal than various mana dorks. Hrmm.
Kolaghan, the Storm's Fury - Not totally sure about this one, but it does a lot of damage without much setup from out of nowhere (haste from Dash) and for only 4cmc. Note, the pump triggers affects all creatures, so you can get in the red zone with your random Risen Reefs as well.
Shared Animosity scales a lot harder and is a lot less mana intensive. If you go hard on tokens playing both of them could certainly be worth it though.
He's a pretty huge Nombo with the champion changelings is the main issue.

narglfrob

materpillar wrote:
3 years ago
narglfrob wrote:
3 years ago
Haakon

If you're running Haakon, Stromgald Scourge, it's probably worth running Nameless Inversion and Knight Exemplar. Seaside Haven might also be worth a consideration if your mana can support it.
I am / have considered Nameless Inversion and Knight Exemplar, currently I'm not running either. I should maybe reconsider Nameless Inversion as a 1 mana repeatable "Lightning Bolt" is really slick (and as I stated earlier I really do enjoy cheap instant speed interaction). It also helps that this is a majorly nostalgic card for me. My rationale behind excluding Knight Exemplar is that a) Haakon already offers boardwipe protection, so her incremental utility is diminished when Haakon is active and B) she stacks up poorly vs the top 2 board wipes I encounter (Cyclonic Rift & Toxic Deluge).

I had missed Seaside Haven and its interaction with Haakon, that's quite spicy. I'll consider that one.
Birchlore Rangers - a 1 mana gemhide sliver (expect everyone only taps for 1/2 a mana), that also gives everyone haste. Generates infinite mana during a champion / oblivion ring loop if you are running that.
There's just soo many good elf options. :/
I just can't see this being better than Priest of Titania or Wirewood Symbiote
No, I don't expect so either. Perhaps better than Elvish Archdruid tho? I will let you know how testing goes.
Goblin Recruiter - Tutor for a pile of Realmwalker, followed by Universal Automaton and a stack of either cheap or utility changelings. Next turn draw and cast Realmwalker followed by a stream of cards from your top deck (sadly, Realmwalker can't cast Crib Swap). Insert Tuktuk Scrapper into this pile if your need to nuke some artifacts. Looking at the numbers, you cast Recruiter on your turn for 2 mana. Then the next turn, you can up to 8 changeling ETB triggers for 8 mana. (and it scales, so if you only have 4 mana available, you can get 4 ETB triggers). The only card that competes with this rate of return (ETB triggers for mana spent) is Hibernation Sliver (one of the best cards in the deck), and it requires you to draw other cards alongside it to do its job, whereas Recruiter does not.
... that's pretty disgusting. I think Dwarven Recruiter might be better because it can also find Magda, Brazen Outlaw which might spike the amount of ETBs possible even higher.
Omg that's gross. I might have to consider running both.
Scourge of Valkas - So far for me, the ETB direct damage triggers of Dragon Tempest and Scourge of Valkas have been a great way at finishing games. To me Lathliss, Dragon Queen just seems so slow, both not doing anything on ETB, and the tokens not having haste. Scourge of Valkas is also interaction for my opponents creatures, which seems fantastic in the mid-game.
I found Lathliss, Dragon Queen to be a Wrath or Die card. Scourge of Valkas is probably just as strong. I'm just scared of that RRR
One differentiator behind my list and yours is I have elected to allow myself an improved manabase which makes the RRR more palpable (and even then only just). However once in play, I have found Scourge of Valkas to be excellent, and nice that he is tutorable with Pyre of Heroes when needed to go off.
Huh, I never considered the Sparksmith. I can see him fitting into some good metagames. I worry he'll eat a lot of removal though.
I think that is a legitimate detriment. Playing Sparksmith is almost like playing a Drannith Magistrate for any opposing decks whos commander has toughness less than about 3. If your plan is to lay low and be political, Sparksmith might draw too much hate. If your plan is to play a more brute force type of game he might be more suitable. I'm not sure which I prefer in this deck.
Kolaghan, the Storm's Fury - Not totally sure about this one, but it does a lot of damage without much setup from out of nowhere (haste from Dash) and for only 4cmc. Note, the pump triggers affects all creatures, so you can get in the red zone with your random Risen Reefs as well.
Shared Animosity scales a lot harder and is a lot less mana intensive. If you go hard on tokens playing both of them could certainly be worth it though.
Under what circumstances does Shared Animosity scale better? Here are some numbers I ran, It seems like Kolaghan comes out ahead is most scenarios, unless I'm not thinking about something?
He's a pretty huge Nombo with the champion changelings is the main issue.
Ah, true lol! Good point. Note I have dropped the champions except for the Beserker, but yes for someone running them Naban might not make sense.

materpillar
the caterpillar

narglfrob wrote:
3 years ago
No, I don't expect so either. Perhaps better than Elvish Archdruid tho? I will let you know how testing goes.
I look forward to hearing. I'm thinking of trying out Bounty of Skemfar over Archdruid. Way less explosive ramp but significantly more resilient and card advantage.

Under what circumstances does Shared Animosity scale better? Here are some numbers I ran, It seems like Kolaghan comes out ahead is most scenarios, unless I'm not thinking about something
I wasn't counting Kolaghan, the Storm's Fury himself, which I suppose I should have. Also, I was thinking more Najeela, the Blade-Blossom/tokens and less all creatures are all different types. I haven't done the exact math though.

narglfrob

With only Universal Automaton, Venomous Changeling and a Changeling Token in play (from having my own Crib Swap Deflecting Swated back at me earlier) I got wheeled into the following hand:
Cloudshredder Sliver + Gemhide Sliver + Risen Reef + other stuff.

From the Risen Reef I proceeded to draw into a Hibernation Sliver (allowing me to net +1 cards and +1 mana at the cost of 2life).

Proceeded to Moggcatcher a Scourge of Valkas into play via a Maskwood Nexus for the win.

I love this deck. :)

Tribbles

I've just found out about Kentaro, the Smiling Cat. He seems like he would be great with colour fixing. Especially when you combine it with Maskwood Nexus and/or Mana Echoes.

I got land starved in a game the other day, and had mostly colourless land sources. It also turns out Elder Pine of Jukai doesn't mesh nicely with Didgeridoo, sadly. That was a very slow grind, and especially in a 5-colour deck, I feel like there is opportunity to add coinsistency.

materpillar
the caterpillar

narglfrob wrote:
3 years ago
With only Universal Automaton, Venomous Changeling and a Changeling Token in play (from having my own Crib Swap Deflecting Swated back at me earlier) I got wheeled into the following hand:
Cloudshredder Sliver + Gemhide Sliver + Risen Reef + other stuff.

From the Risen Reef I proceeded to draw into a Hibernation Sliver (allowing me to net +1 cards and +1 mana at the cost of 2life).

Proceeded to Moggcatcher a Scourge of Valkas into play via a Maskwood Nexus for the win.

I love this deck. :)
I'm glad you've been getting some reps in. Any stand out winners and losers as far as card choices go in your experience?

Every time I read about Cloudshredder Sliver I want to give it a shot but I feel like it's worse than Hibernation Sliver, Manaweft Sliver, and Gemhide Sliver. That means it is competing directly with Sliver Hivelord who has been great for me.

You had any experience with The First Sliver yet?
Tribbles wrote:
3 years ago
I've just found out about Kentaro, the Smiling Cat. He seems like he would be great with colour fixing. Especially when you combine it with Maskwood Nexus and/or Mana Echoes.

I got land starved in a game the other day, and had mostly colourless land sources. It also turns out Elder Pine of Jukai doesn't mesh nicely with Didgeridoo, sadly. That was a very slow grind, and especially in a 5-colour deck, I feel like there is opportunity to add coinsistency.
Unfortunately, Didgeridoo and Cryptic Gateway are nombos with Elder Pine of Jukai and Gilt-Leaf Archdruid. I think those are the only two cast triggers though.

The deck has 36 lands and 8 ramp creatures/spells. You could always add more land/cut colorless utility lands if you feel it necessary. I think The World Tree will help a fair amount.

I dislike Kentaro, the Smiling Cat because he's basically only good with exactly Mana Echoes. I don't like cards that have an almost ignorable affect on the game without any changelings in hand. Wirewood Symbiote and Walker of Secret Ways being the exception because bouncing changelings is just that strong.

narglfrob

Here's a quick synopsis on some new cards that have been doing well for me. As a preface, the direction my deck is taking has started to deviate significantly from your list materpillar. Notably, my lists gameplan is evolving towards a combo deck that looks to chain ETBs, winning off of a Dragon Tempest type of effect, with a fallback plan of grinding out with Haakon. Where-as I would characterize the decklist in the OP's gameplan as mid-range. This will affect my card evaluation, prioritizing cards good in a storm-ish combo deck (fast mana and cards) over cards good in mid-range (higher cmc and individual impact).

Tested Winners
  • Birchlore Rangers - fast mana at low cmc, exactly what my version of the deck wants to be doing.
  • Cloudshredder Sliver - haste has been really important each time I've drawn him, both to enable the mana slivers but also the smattering of attack triggers. Note I am not holding myself to a limit for each tribe.
  • Magda, Brazen Outlaw - not surprisingly one of the best cards in the deck imo.
  • Naban, Dean of Iteration - very very strong.
  • Merrow Reejerey - Insane mana generation, allowing Universal Automaton to go mana positive on each cast, and goes even more mana positive with Harabaz Druid et. al. Notably he reduces the coloured mana requirement of your changelings, making it much more valuable than a generic cost reducer.

Tested Middling to Bad
  • Goblin Recruiter - Slow (because you typically need to wait till the next turn to chain off) and card disadvantage have made this awkward so far. Still testing, but not jubilant about it currently.
  • Elvish Archdruid and Marwyn, the Nurturer - too slow resulting in them being cut. If I'm relying on them for mana I seem to be out raced by the other decks typically.
  • General Kudro of Drannith - 3cmc is very easily tutor-able via Pyre of Heros / Birthing Pod making him a theoretically valuable silver bullet against graveyard decks, while also being generic interaction for creatures, while also being a sac outlet for when Haakon is online for extra ETBs. Unfortunately I have just not been playing against a lot of GY decks so he's been meh each time I've drawn him.
  • Venomous Changeling - probably going to cut this for Woodland Changeling (1cmc over 2cmc, and green is easier to make than black)
  • Kolaghan, the Storm's Fury - not as definitive a kill as Scourge of Valkas because people typically have enough blockers so you can't kill a table with him. However he's fun and I like to force myself to run more win conditions as I tend to bias on not running enough, so I'll be keeping him for now.
  • Atla Palani, Nest Tender - Couldn't abuse her reliably, and she didn't generate any value in the face of spot removal.
  • Qasali Slingers - slow, Masked Vandal picks up the slack
  • Kogla, the Titan Ape - slow
Untested Question for Materpillar:
Why do you like Sliver Hivelord? A) It does nothing against the top 2 boardwipes in the format (Cyclonic Rift and Toxic Deluge) B) you can get an equivalent effect for 3cmc in Knight Exemplar and C) It occupies a slot in the highly desirable Sliver tribe under your self-imposed restrictions (meaning its opportunity cost is very high)

materpillar
the caterpillar

narglfrob wrote:
3 years ago
Here's a quick synopsis on some new cards that have been doing well for me. As a preface, the direction my deck is taking has started to deviate significantly from your list materpillar. Notably, my lists gameplan is evolving towards a combo deck that looks to chain ETBs, winning off of a Dragon Tempest type of effect, with a fallback plan of grinding out with Haakon. Where-as I would characterize the decklist in the OP's gameplan as mid-range. This will affect my card evaluation, prioritizing cards good in a storm-ish combo deck (fast mana and cards) over cards good in mid-range (higher cmc and individual impact).

Tested Winners
  • Birchlore Rangers - fast mana at low cmc, exactly what my version of the deck wants to be doing.
So, I get the feeling your meta-game is a bit more cutthroat than those I usually play in. That being said I don't know how degenerate you want your deck to be, how far off theme you're wanting to go, and how your budget is ... but I've basically built the deck you're migrating towards. It's the Golos, Non-Infinite Elf-Storm in my signature. It runs just shy of 40 1cc creatures and chains them together with stuff like Guardian Project, Mass Hysteria and Cryptolith Rite which is kind of what you're doing with a Gallia of the Endless Dance, Gemhide Sliver and Risen Reef

If you want to go full degenerate then the cards you're looking for are Aluren, Intruder Alarm, Earthcraft, Tangleroot and Gaea's Cradle (heeeey Merrow Reejerey)

On semi-degenerate, there's also Heritage Druid. If you can find some sacrifice outlets then Faces of the Past and Species Specialist will be stellar.

narglfrob wrote:
3 years ago
Question for Materpillar:
Why do you like Sliver Hivelord? A) It does nothing against the top 2 boardwipes in the format (Cyclonic Rift and Toxic Deluge) B) you can get an equivalent effect for 3cmc in Knight Exemplar and C) It occupies a slot in the highly desirable Sliver tribe under your self-imposed restrictions (meaning its opportunity cost is very high)
I've cast it twice recently and basically won the game on the fact that it completely protected almost my entire board.

I mean nothing does anything against Cyclonic Rift and Toxic Deluge. I think I've only ever seen 1 Toxic Deluge ever cast in my decade of commander. Weird.

Knight Exemplar is just way more fragile than Sliver Hivelord because it doesn't also have indestructible. If I was running Haakon, Stromgald Scourge I'd be running Knight Exemplar.

narglfrob

That being said I don't know how degenerate you want your deck to be, how far off theme you're wanting to go, and how your budget is
Currently my plan is to go as degenerate as possible while maintaining the restriction of "all non-land cards must be tribal" as a fun deck-building exercise*.
*The one exception I am making is Birthing Pod, which is allowed an exception because it enables Haakon, which is a pet card.

This means that truly degenerate cards like Aluren, Intruder Alarm, Earthcraft etc are off limits (which I like).

Heritage Druid - This is a good call, I should add it to my under consideration list.
Faces of the Past - A powerful effect for sure, and one I have considered. My current hypothesis is that a version that includes the requisite sacrifice outlets and dies triggers payoffs will be less reliable than the current gameplan focused largely on ETB abuse. (because of the addition of new types of synergy pieces which must be played at the right time). This hypothesis isn't really backed by testing, however I also have a personal bias to avoid another graveyard abuse deck because I already have other sacrifice based decks. Perhaps one day I will change my mind. Thank you for the suggestion!
Species Specialist - As above, I would probably run this if I shifted by gameplan to graveyard abuse. Also Skemfar Avenger and Undead Augur!
Knight Exemplar is just way more fragile than Sliver Hivelord because it doesn't also have indestructible
Ahhh, I good point I had not considered! Also yes, if your meta is not infested with Toxic Deluge & Rift then no need to adjust your card choices in reaction to them!

Tribbles

How have the new Kaldheim cards been testing in everyone's builds? Curious what is working and what not so much. I saw Jimmy run Magda on the latest Game Knights and it was seriously good.

materpillar
the caterpillar

Tribbles wrote:
3 years ago
How have the new Kaldheim cards been testing in everyone's builds? Curious what is working and what not so much. I saw Jimmy run Magda on the latest Game Knights and it was seriously good.
I've only gotten to play one game so far. Life's been busy. I forgot I could activate The World Tree but if I'd have remembered it's ability I would have won. Instead I threw that game hard. Got to Absorb Identity with Mirror Entity but there wasn't really any good targets. :/

Tribbles

Controversial suggestion: Rick, Steadfast Leader.

He buffs himself as well as others in the tribe, grants himself and others abilities you can pick based on situation. Just a shame that everyone might not have access to him.

materpillar
the caterpillar

Tribbles wrote:
3 years ago
Controversial suggestion: Rick, Steadfast Leader.

He buffs himself as well as others in the tribe, grants himself and others abilities you can pick based on situation. Just a shame that everyone might not have access to him.
Considered him. Lifelink is strong. First strike or vigilance are ok but our creatures are tiny. I'm not convinced he'd be better than Crucible of Fire. Mostly because he dies to splash damage from a wrath whereas crucible is less likely to eat a removal spell. Crucible of flame was no joke when I ran it so I think Rick would perform fine.

offspring

Post by offspring » 3 years ago

Hi y'all. I just found this thread, but have been playing a similar deck for about a year and a half now. Obviously, there's a lot of overlap in the lists, but I managed to find some cool interactions that I didn't think of before. I'm afraid all the gems I discovered on my own are already included, so there's not much new to add, but I would love to start contributing to the concept, so I'll start with sharing my decklist. It's meant to be a fun deck to both play with and against, and I want to keep the number of tribes as high as possible. Also, I'm trying to stay clear of adding any slivers that don't fix my mana (manawheft and gemhide are too important for the deck's manabase, unfortunately) since I don't want this to be anything like a sliver deck.

The first thing I'm going to change based on this thread is adding Wirewood Symbiote since I didn't think of that as mana ramp, let alone the way to save one of my creatures. It's probably going to replace one of the boring standard ramp cards like Cultivate.
Decklist
Approximate Total Cost:

Tonight, I'm playing again and will be testing the new additions such as Magda, Brazen Outlaw and Maskwood Nexus, which I expect to be all-stars right away.

You'll be hearing from me :grin:

narglfrob

Ohhh, Ayula, Queen Among Bears is spicy, that was not on my radar. Adding that on my "to test" list immediatley.

Moth

Post by Moth » 3 years ago

Very fringe, but Scuttling Sliver looks good for potential Maskwood Nexus/Artificial Evolution/Unnatural Selection/Amoeboid Changeling/Mirror Entity infinities on something like a Priest of Titania or Bloom Tender ala Freed from the Real or Pemmin's Aura. Unfortunate that we don't have any Changeling mana dorks though.

Maybe next time!

[EDIT] Have we tried Dragonkin Berserker as a small version of Lathliss, Dragon Queen? It's relatively simple to get the Boast price down and the possibility of multiple 5/5 dragons sounds tasty for a beatdown strat.

The card image isn't loading so:
Dragonkin Berserker
Show
Hide
Dragonkin Berserker
Creature — Human Berserker

First strike

Boast abilities you activate cost less to activate for each Dragon you control.

Boast — : Create a 5/5 red Dragon creature token with flying. (Activate this ability only if this creature attacked this turn and only once each turn.)

2/2
- Moth :cool:

offspring

I came across some lovely janky tech this weekend, and was wondering if any of you have tested this before. It's called Spirit Mirror and it's super evil with Amoeboid Changeling, especially if you can untap the latter. The dream would be to combine it with Shields of Velis Vel but I don't see enough added value for that in other situations.

materpillar
the caterpillar

offspring wrote:
3 years ago
Hi y'all. I just found this thread,

You'll be hearing from me :grin:
Glad to see you! How's the deck been running?
  • I'm always worried Descendants' Path is going to be too inconsistent as a draw engine. How has your experience with it been?
  • I never got around to testing Kumena, Tyrant of Orazca. Do you find you have enough untapped changelings for him to be wortwhile?
  • I'd recommend Dragon's Hoard over Farhaven Elf. The ability to draw cards eventually has got to be more valuable than a 1/1 body even if it is more weak to artifact removal.
  • You look extremely removal light. Do you find yourself struggling to interact with your opponents decks? I'd recommend slotting in Contested Cliffs at the bare minimum, your mana base looks solid enough to support it without issues.
  • If you're running Haakon, Stromgald Scourge, you should definitely be running Crib Swap. It's a knight you can cast from the graveyard.
narglfrob wrote:
3 years ago
Ohhh, Ayula, Queen Among Bears is spicy, that was not on my radar. Adding that on my "to test" list immediatley.
I've found the threat of repeated removal made her get killed before she generated enough value. She's certainly strong in the deck though, especially if you have mostly bigger changelings instead of the super low to the ground ones that I run.
Moth wrote:
3 years ago
Very fringe, but Scuttling Sliver looks good for potential Maskwood Nexus/Artificial Evolution/Unnatural Selection/Amoeboid Changeling/Mirror Entity infinities on something like a Priest of Titania or Bloom Tender ala Freed from the Real or Pemmin's Aura. Unfortunate that we don't have any Changeling mana dorks though.

Maybe next time!

[EDIT] Have we tried Dragonkin Berserker as a small version of Lathliss, Dragon Queen? It's relatively simple to get the Boast price down and the possibility of multiple 5/5 dragons sounds tasty for a beatdown strat.
I think Scuttling Sliver is extremely niche, but it does have combo potential similar to Freed from the Real. It's worth noting for sure.

Dragonkin Berserker can only activate once a turn. I think it'd be way weaker than Lathliss, Dragon Queen because of this.

offspring wrote:
3 years ago
I came across some lovely janky tech this weekend, and was wondering if any of you have tested this before. It's called Spirit Mirror and it's super evil with Amoeboid Changeling, especially if you can untap the latter. The dream would be to combine it with Shields of Velis Vel but I don't see enough added value for that in other situations.
I've never considered Spirit Mirror. It could certainly be strong enough in Haakon, Stromgald Scourge builds since it'd double as a sacrifice outlet in addition to being situational removal. The real MVP with it would be Unnatural Selection. You could also use Artificial Evolution to lock someone off of their general. Thoughts @narglfrob?

offspring

materpillar wrote:
3 years ago

Glad to see you! How's the deck been running?
  • I'm always worried Descendants' Path is going to be too inconsistent as a draw engine. How has your experience with it been?
  • I never got around to testing Kumena, Tyrant of Orazca. Do you find you have enough untapped changelings for him to be wortwhile?
  • I'd recommend Dragon's Hoard over Farhaven Elf. The ability to draw cards eventually has got to be more valuable than a 1/1 body even if it is more weak to artifact removal.
  • You look extremely removal light. Do you find yourself struggling to interact with your opponents decks? I'd recommend slotting in Contested Cliffs at the bare minimum, your mana base looks solid enough to support it without issues.
  • If you're running Haakon, Stromgald Scourge, you should definitely be running Crib Swap. It's a knight you can cast from the graveyard.
I absolutely love this deck - it's a ton of fun to play. I actually was a bit sad to see the return of changelings in Kaldheim because it'll make my list a little les unique. I built it when Morophon, the Boundless was released, because I didn't run a single tribal deck at the time and thought: why not just run em all, haha. Toyed around for a bit with Reaper King as the commander, but that drew so much hate, and using him optimally just was feel bads all around. The Ur-Dragon was a gimmick at first, but he's been great. I'm in a decently tweaked meta, so the deck should run pretty smoothly to perform above average - which I would like it to do, because I love it too much to see it lose every game. That's why I've sticked to the manabase with elves: they're a very good way to ramp and go well with cards like Kindred Discovery. Having said that, I really am tempted to replace every 'regular' ramp spell with some spicy option like Magda, Brazen Outlaw or Dragon's Hoard. There's just not enough good ones at the moment to make the deck tick. For example, I quite like Wirewood Channeler, but four mana is just too much to make it work. Personally, I'm not a big fan of effects like Priest of Titania in this list, because only making green can be problematic in my experience.

As for your remarks:
  • Funny you should say, Descendants' Path is actually on my shortlist to cut. I love the card though; it's quite cheap and the single green pip makes it really accessible. I'm on the fence, currently. HATE running out of gas.
  • Kumena has been OK. It's a draw engine that I'm not particularly fond of, but it does draw the occasional card, is tutorable with Seahunter and works really nicely with Merrow Commerce. It might get cut in the future.
  • I'm running both :). Dragon's Hoard has absolutely been overperforming. Drawing only one card would make it acceptable, but it regularly draws at least 2 or 3, or more if you can drop it early.
  • Yeah, I've really been running into the issue of too little spot removal. In fact, reading your reply convinced me to remove Moritte of the Frost and a basic forest, and add Crib Swap and Contested Cliffs. Thinking about a spot for Peer Pressure because it's kinda spot removal as well.
On Ayula: yeah, people tend to get scared and it eats removal every now and then. But I'd like her to do that if it means it's one less Swords to target my Moggcatcher for example. And if she sticks around, she's an absolute monster.
Also have been thinking about Spirit Mirror some more. Imagine having it out with Haakon, Stromgald Scourge in the graveyard. Fetching your Universal Automaton is already infinite cast / etb effects.

Moth

Post by Moth » 3 years ago

Got plenty of games done over the week. Here are my thoughts:

Maskwood Nexus is an absolute, irreplaceable, all-star. A perfect grab off a Coveted Prize to play for free is the most bonza thing I've done in MTG in a while.
The Nexus has singlehandedly been either a 'Remove on Sight' target, eating removal, or won me the game:
Attacking with 7 creatures while controlling both Cloudshredder Sliver and Yuriko, the Tiger's Shadow and flipping 30 damage off the top,
Turning all my creatures into Dogs and Cats and draining with Rin and Seri, Inseparable,
Battering everyone with The Scarab God triggers on upkeep,
Polymorphing my board through Atla Palani, Nest Tender when someone plays a Wrath of God,
or, my personal favourite, dropping a Dragon Tempest into an Avenger of Zendikar to blow everyone up with Dragon Plants.

Running a Mystic Reflection forced my hand into running either Avenger of Zendikar or Master of Waves, as both act as a 'Lord' for Changelings but also combo with Reflection. I'm not sure if Avenger is better than Master for this combo. In a build that cares about smaller costs and is bluer/Merfolk focused, Master excels. Yet, as Avenger is a good card already and puts counters on my Changelings instead of being a static anthem, I've opted for it instead.

My build and other builds that are highly creature-focused are very weak to wipes if you aren't playing patiently. Cards that act as any sort of wipe protection in my build are: Atla Palani, Nest Tender, Haakon, Stromgald Scourge, Hibernation Sliver, Knight Exemplar and in more niche cases, The Scarab God can rebuild. In that case, it might be good to run effects such as Ghostway, (doesn't target and therefore gets around Shroud if that's relevant) Teferi's Protection or Eerie Interlude, (extra goodness from Interlude as it triggers Orvar, the All-Form if you're running it) Linvala, Shield of Sea Gate can give you value in combat and works similar to the flicker cards. Full Moon's Rise is a good 2 drop Anthem for Changelings and doubles as a regen shield similar to Wrap in Vigor, and finally of course there are cards such as Heroic Intervention which don't get around exile-based removal but work in most situations.

From this list, I'd use Linvala, Shield of Sea Gate and Full Moon's Rise, but considering a combination of Ghostway and Eerie Interlude is better for a flickering build as they all LTB and ETB instead of simply regenerating.

Using Haakon, Stromgald Scourge to repeatedly cast Crib Swap for or Nameless Inversion for is both absolutely busted and gets around pesky Indestructible effects. Expect Haakon to not live for long once you make this known, not that they can stop you casting it again :P. Other cards that don't live for long are the Troubling Tutor Trifecta but this is entirely understandable as all three of them are ridiculous.

I haven't had a chance to use Spirit Mirror yet, but if I was to use it I'd want close to the full suite of type changing cards: Unnatural Selection, Amoeboid Changeling, Artificial Evolution, Imagecrafter, Standardize and Shields of Velis Vel.

Shields of Velis Vel is a Changeling spell, and therefore can be used over and over with a Haakon, Stromgald Scourge on board. Be it playing it defensively multiple times in a turn, having a Mirror Entity-type effect where all your creatures temporarily become Changelings over and over or using Spirit Mirror to wipe everyone's boards every single turn. Similar to this, Blades of Velis Vel and Wings of Velis Vel can both be used while you have Mirror and Haakon out to act as removal but I don't think it's smart to pile up on all of these single-use spells for a single interaction, maybe only use 1 or 2.

Harmonic Sliver can honestly be the most annoying card to play sometimes and I'm considering Aura Shards over it simply because the trigger is a "may", so you don't blow up your own Universal Automaton, Cryptic Gateway or worst of all, Maskwood Nexus.

On the topic of Cryptic Gateway, I am absolutely in love with my Didgeridoo, yet I can't help but feel it is very much outclassed by the Gateway. Would you recommend using both in one build or just the Gateway and another effect such as Pyre of Heroes/Birthing Pod? The two Pod effects also feel extremely good if you arent running Entomb effects to get Haakon, Stromgald Scourge into the grave.

Another thing that taps two creatures for an effect is Birchlore Rangers, which I haven't managed to get out a lot. In the cases I have got them in play they've made one or two mana for me over the course of a game and then fallen by the wayside, the fast mana is highly appreciated though, and for a cost makes it an ample T1 play on par with Birds of Paradise.

My Turntimber Ranger is a sore subject in my playgroups right now. Whereas it's good for filling the board with a bunch of 2/2 Wolves and making a big boy, it also goes infinite so very easily with any sort of type-changing card, which is near to 10% of my current build. I might be swapping it out for some sort of effect that isn't quite so disgusting. (Or gather the self-control to not immediately make 10,000 Wolves at the earliest convenience)

That's all for now, thank you for reading, if you have any other suggestions please let me know! Looking forward to Strixhaven having a bunch of Wizard tribal support that could be easily abused in Changelings!

- Moth :cool:

offspring

Moth wrote:
3 years ago
Got plenty of games done over the week. Here are my thoughts:

Maskwood Nexus is an absolute, irreplaceable, all-star. A perfect grab off a Coveted Prize to play for free is the most bonza thing I've done in MTG in a while.
The Nexus has singlehandedly been either a 'Remove on Sight' target, eating removal, or won me the game:
Attacking with 7 creatures while controlling both Cloudshredder Sliver and Yuriko, the Tiger's Shadow and flipping 30 damage off the top,
Turning all my creatures into Dogs and Cats and draining with Rin and Seri, Inseparable,
Battering everyone with The Scarab God triggers on upkeep,
Polymorphing my board through Atla Palani, Nest Tender when someone plays a Wrath of God,
or, my personal favourite, dropping a Dragon Tempest into an Avenger of Zendikar to blow everyone up with Dragon Plants.
How did you play Coveted Prize for free? Dragon Tempest is a card I keep considering for a spot removal slot, but haven't tested yet. How has it been? I just don't really like to play too many creature lords and would be tempted to run Tolsimir, Friend to Wolves first (but removed that a while ago).
Moth wrote:
3 years ago
My build and other builds that are highly creature-focused are very weak to wipes if you aren't playing patiently. Cards that act as any sort of wipe protection in my build are: Atla Palani, Nest Tender, Haakon, Stromgald Scourge, Hibernation Sliver, Knight Exemplar and in more niche cases, The Scarab God can rebuild. In that case, it might be good to run effects such as Ghostway, (doesn't target and therefore gets around Shroud if that's relevant) Teferi's Protection or Eerie Interlude, (extra goodness from Interlude as it triggers Orvar, the All-Form if you're running it) Linvala, Shield of Sea Gate can give you value in combat and works similar to the flicker cards. Full Moon's Rise is a good 2 drop Anthem for Changelings and doubles as a regen shield similar to Wrap in Vigor, and finally of course there are cards such as Heroic Intervention which don't get around exile-based removal but work in most situations.

From this list, I'd use Linvala, Shield of Sea Gate and Full Moon's Rise, but considering a combination of Ghostway and Eerie Interlude is better for a flickering build as they all LTB and ETB instead of simply regenerating.
I run Knight Exemplar, Haakon, Stromgald Scourge and Atla Palani, Nest Tender myself, and there seem to be okay-ish. Especially the fact that they're also good when noone wipes is interesting to me The other ones, save maybe The Scarab God, ar just not janky enough for me to make it in my list. Also, keeping my hand full is always a good way to recover from a boardwipe since my list is still a bit slow, but can be quite explosive once you've got enough lands out.
Moth wrote:
3 years ago
Using Haakon, Stromgald Scourge to repeatedly cast Crib Swap for or Nameless Inversion for is both absolutely busted and gets around pesky Indestructible effects. Expect Haakon to not live for long once you make this known, not that they can stop you casting it again . Other cards that don't live for long are the Troubling Tutor Trifecta but this is entirely understandable as all three of them are ridiculous.
I'm reeeeeeeeeeeeeally looking forward to doing this, but the one game I got in last week didn't give me one of these, unfortunately.
Moth wrote:
3 years ago
I haven't had a chance to use Spirit Mirror yet, but if I was to use it I'd want close to the full suite of type changing cards: Unnatural Selection, Amoeboid Changeling, Artificial Evolution, Imagecrafter, Standardize and Shields of Velis Vel.

Shields of Velis Vel is a Changeling spell, and therefore can be used over and over with a Haakon, Stromgald Scourge on board. Be it playing it defensively multiple times in a turn, having a Mirror Entity-type effect where all your creatures temporarily become Changelings over and over or using Spirit Mirror to wipe everyone's boards every single turn. Similar to this, Blades of Velis Vel and Wings of Velis Vel can both be used while you have Mirror and Haakon out to act as removal but I don't think it's smart to pile up on all of these single-use spells for a single interaction, maybe only use 1 or 2.
I definitely won't be running all of those. The only one I'm running now, is Amoeboid Changeling which is really good, but the others are too situational for my taste. I think I don't like the velis-vel spells enough to find them worthy of a spot - but that's just me, I guess. I'm still not sure if I want to run Spirit Mirror either - it's cute but I don't have one and maybe something like Peer Pressure is just better in a lot of cases?
Moth wrote:
3 years ago
Harmonic Sliver can honestly be the most annoying card to play sometimes and I'm considering Aura Shards over it simply because the trigger is a "may", so you don't blow up your own Universal Automaton, Cryptic Gateway or worst of all, Maskwood Nexus.

On the topic of Cryptic Gateway, I am absolutely in love with my Didgeridoo, yet I can't help but feel it is very much outclassed by the Gateway. Would you recommend using both in one build or just the Gateway and another effect such as Pyre of Heroes/Birthing Pod? The two Pod effects also feel extremely good if you arent running Entomb effects to get Haakon, Stromgald Scourge into the grave.

Another thing that taps two creatures for an effect is Birchlore Rangers, which I haven't managed to get out a lot. In the cases I have got them in play they've made one or two mana for me over the course of a game and then fallen by the wayside, the fast mana is highly appreciated though, and for a cost makes it an ample T1 play on par with Birds of Paradise.
I don't run Harmonic Sliver (don't want to run too many slivers) nor Aura Shards (not on theme). Have run Feline Sovereign for a while, but cut it last week for Reaper King. Do have a good story with her though, since the first time I played here I was going up against Pako, Arcane Retriever which was a blast.

I have a Didgeridoo and a Cryptic Gateway in my binders, but I'm not running either. The low cmc of the changelings just doesn't justify them, although they're really, really stylish cards (especially the didgeridoo). I'd need more consistency in the Maskwood Nexus kind of effects, so my non-changelings would be cheaper consistently. As for Pyre / Pod: I'm still running Lin Sivvi, Defiant Hero over them because she's more of a unique card (at least in my meta). Really considering to cut her for a Nameless Inversion though. Maybe the other tutor-creatures are more than enough.

On Birchlore Rangers: I'd run this over BoP any time in this list. It's just more on theme. It's hardly ever as good, but it's almost always decent and when it's good, it's really good. I've had him out with Merrow Commerce and Arcane Adaptation and that runs really smoothly.
Moth wrote:
3 years ago
My Turntimber Ranger is a sore subject in my playgroups right now. Whereas it's good for filling the board with a bunch of 2/2 Wolves and making a big boy, it also goes infinite so very easily with any sort of type-changing card, which is near to 10% of my current build. I might be swapping it out for some sort of effect that isn't quite so disgusting. (Or gather the self-control to not immediately make 10,000 Wolves at the earliest convenience)
There's an Ally deck in my meta, and moreover I don't really want to go infinite, so I don't really want to go this route. I can imagine it to be very good though. I imagine it's some sort of an Ayula, Queen Among Bears on steroids.

One more question for you all: ever considered Vedalken Aethermage? I have, never got around to testing it, and doubt it's good enough, but It does enable to cute tricks. In my list, it would at least find Azami, Lady of Scrolls and I think Strixhaven will give it an upgrade.

And last but not least, I got in a game this week, which was loads of fun again. Didn't win, but I toyed around with Wirewood Symbiote for the first time and man, it's good. I got her out with a Seahunter and enough mana untapped, so was about to go off finding Sylvia Brightspear and Khorvath Brightflame (there was an Arcane Adaptation saying Merfolk as well), but in response to the first activation, someone played Opposition Agent. So in response, I activate again and find Reaper King, after which I was able to in my turn bounce Universal Automaton to my hand and destroy the Agent. Unfortunately, there where too many boardwipes after that to recover decently. If I would've been able to pull of the searches I wanted, The Ur-Dragon would have been a 11/11 hasty double striker.

Cheers!

lyonhaert
Answers: 4
Pronoun: they / them

Post by lyonhaert » 3 years ago

offspring wrote:
3 years ago
How did you play Coveted Prize for free?
He played Maskwood for free off of Prize.
Chainer bbb
"Image"
(rebuild after Geth)
Other
r Lathliss
bw Breena
To-Build Pool
rb Obosh Burn
gw Dromoka

offspring

lyonhaert wrote:
3 years ago
offspring wrote:
3 years ago
How did you play Coveted Prize for free?
He played Maskwood for free off of Prize.
Ah, I misread that. Tnx for the clarification.

What are your experiences with Coveted Prize? I have one lying around, but I wouldn't expect to have a full party that often. Four changelings on the battlefield at the same time isn't too standard for me I think - but I'll start paying more attention to that from now on, because it's more a feeling than a certainty.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”