3drinks
Kaalia's Personal Liaison
Pronoun: he / him

Post by 3drinks » 3 years ago

Sinis wrote:
3 years ago
3drinks wrote:
3 years ago

I DO play Bolt, quite prominently even. It's very efficient.

Maybe it's because I'm developing Zenith Seeker in a flicker shell, but there is a lot of value to cash in on there. Ching ching.
Playing bolt, IMO, is a given. I have a beta one that I sleeve up for my tempo-oriented red decks. I guess Frost Bite is the next best; like, is Strafe just too bad to run? If it were instant, would we? Hard to say.

Even so, I also often play Abrade, and I think Chandra's Triumph is worth considering if you would consider Frost Bite. Frost Bite's 3-snow requirement is not inconsiderable.
Three snow is not inconsiderable you're right, but even if you don't have it, it still hits x/2s, and is instant. You're getting a lot for one cmc.

I think I'd play Strafe if it were an instant just like I'd play Sunlance. I don't think Chandra's Triumph merits inclusion at the two drop since there's a lot more options - i.e. ugly anorexic troll doll comes down at three and gives you a [clampable] body while doing two-thirds the effect. I do, however, think there's one card that deserves mention over all of these that we've neglected, and it's even more efficient.

Redcap Melee.
Steel Sabotage'ng Orbs of Mellowness since 2011.

I collect Kaalia of the Vast normal-size cards. Do you have any extra taking up space in your binder? Help me grow my collection! :)

WBRKaalia HQ WBR

bobthefunny
Resident Plainswalker

Post by bobthefunny » 3 years ago

3drinks wrote:
3 years ago
For you Skred players, Frost Bite is roughly as strong with a much higher floor in exchange for a lower ceiling. Not being able to dust x/6s for r sucks, but you're still dusting a number of obnoxious non-Urza commanders with this spell if you just stop and think for a moment what creatures you actually both run into and know need to go at your average commander games.
I'll jump on the "I already play bolt train," but I still have to question Frost Bite over Skred. Frost bite is only better if you have zero or one snow permanent, which if that was the case, I would question why you're running either to begin with. Once you hit the three permanent requirement, then Skred is still doing the same damage... or more.

Frost Bite can hit planeswalkers, but if I'm slotting skred into a deck, it's in the creature removal slot. I think Frost Bite falls too far down the list of other red burn spells I would play first.

3drinks

bobthefunny wrote:
3 years ago
3drinks wrote:
3 years ago
For you Skred players, Frost Bite is roughly as strong with a much higher floor in exchange for a lower ceiling. Not being able to dust x/6s for r sucks, but you're still dusting a number of obnoxious non-Urza commanders with this spell if you just stop and think for a moment what creatures you actually both run into and know need to go at your average commander games.
I'll jump on the "I already play bolt train," but I still have to question Frost Bite over Skred. Frost bite is only better if you have zero or one snow permanent, which if that was the case, I would question why you're running either to begin with. Once you hit the three permanent requirement, then Skred is still doing the same damage... or more.

Frost Bite can hit planeswalkers, but if I'm slotting skred into a deck, it's in the creature removal slot. I think Frost Bite falls too far down the list of other red burn spells I would play first.
I mean obv Skred is better. I outlined the differences in my post. What I'm saying is a lot of people will sleep on frost bite but quality one cmc removal doesn't come along often, but people will sleep on this because it isnt Plowshares.

I collect Kaalia of the Vast normal-size cards. Do you have any extra taking up space in your binder? Help me grow my collection! :)

WBRKaalia HQ WBR

Sinis
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Sinis » 3 years ago

3drinks wrote:
3 years ago
I mean obv Skred is better. I outlined the differences in my post. What I'm saying is a lot of people will sleep on frost bite but quality one cmc removal doesn't come along often, but people will sleep on this because it isnt Plowshares.
I guess, the question really being asked at this point is 'how many 1- or low-cost damage-based removal cards will we put in a deck'?

Bolt, Skred have the first two slots. I think they're at the top of the heap. There were an abundance of cards for the third slot (like Strafe, Shock or Abrade because it's modal). I think Frost Bite outclasses Strafe and (obviously) Shock, but, I don't know anyone who even considered resorting to Strafe or Shock. Is it being Instant and able to hit red (with the different restriction of kinda sorta needing snow permanents) enough for us to want to run it?

I'm a bolt-skred-abrade guy in monored. But, I don't know that I'm going to play this, even though I already play snow mana bases.

3drinks

Its likely the fifth in the pick order, with redcap melee coming in at #4. Personal preference, I like damage based removal because often they're cheaper than more conventional "hard" removals, with upside of going to the face.

Char will always be a go to of mine for that. Just because you have forty life, doesn't mean you don't catch people with the burn out win.

WBRKaalia HQ WBR

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy
Answers: 1

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 3 years ago

3drinks wrote:
3 years ago
Its likely the fifth in the pick order, with redcap melee coming in at #4. Personal preference, I like damage based removal because often they're cheaper than more conventional "hard" removals, with upside of going to the face.

Char will always be a go to of mine for that. Just because you have forty life, doesn't mean you don't catch people with the burn out win.
Char the face and knock the top of your deck, the classic.
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

3drinks

TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
3 years ago
3drinks wrote:
3 years ago

I love that clip even more than Nassif's GOAT level called shot. I've tried to replicate that move so much, but Gabriel, that man has Tibalt's luck. Envious.

WBRKaalia HQ WBR

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 3 years ago

3drinks wrote:
3 years ago
TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
3 years ago
3drinks wrote:
3 years ago

I love that clip even more than Nassif's GOAT level called shot. I've tried to replicate that move so much, but Gabriel, that man has Tibalt's luck. Envious.
Oh man, that nassif clup is so good though. I miss the old PT coverage so much sometimes. Randy Buehler on commentary too... ah, what a time that was.
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

Myllior

Post by Myllior » 3 years ago

Ayli, Eternal Pilgrim: Burning-Rune Demon to take advantage of the decent amount of recursion available to the deck, Glorious Protector as protection and to re-use the decent number of ETBs the deck has and Search for Glory because Bolas's Citadel is stupidly good. Possibly Doomskar as well, again because of the deck's recursion, but also because it needs as much mana as it can get on critical turns, so shaving some off with foretell is a nice potential bonus.

Derevi, Empyrial Tactician: Toski, Bearer of Secrets to replace one of the non-creature (effective) draw-on-hit effects in the deck, since being a creature itself allows for more procs and also more Derevi triggers. The indestructibility is also a nice bonus.

Kefnet the Mindful: Spectral Deluge may be sorcery speed, but an asymmetric Engulf the Shore that can be foretold is a nice addition.

Kodama // Ishai: Cosmic Intervention is an interesting one as it appears to return the permanents one at a time, which is a huge boon for decks aiming to Clone their own creatures. (Compare this to Faith's Reward, where its usefulness against board wipes is limited since most clones will return as a base 0/0 and die immediately). Mystic Reflection is another super interesting card, for its utility to amplify your own creatures or to turn your opponent's Craterhoof Behemoth into a Llanowar Elves before it even hits the field. I'm hoping to use this with Avenger of Zendikar.

Neheb, Dreadhorde Champion: Tibalt's Trickery for Neheb, for the straight-up counterspell in red. A little chaos never hurt either.

Sisay, Weatherlight Captain: A deck whose commander cares about legendaries? Search for Glory.

NZB2323
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by NZB2323 » 3 years ago

Edric, Spymaster of Trest only commons in the 99
Masked Vandal

Edgar Markov low curve
Pact of the Serpent

Tymna the Weaver/Ravos, Soultender cleric tribal
Burning-Rune Demon
Glorious Protector
Skemfar Shadowsage
Pyre of Heroes

And then I'm planning on building Sarulf, Realm Eater as a peasant deck with only commons and uncommons in the 99.
Current Decks
rg Morophon, the infinite Kavu Eowyn, human tribal Legolas, voltron control Wb Tymna/Ravos cleric tribal Neheb, Chicago Bulls tribal Ug Edric pauper

Retired Decks
Edgar Markov Kaalia, angel board wipes Ghen, prison Captain Sisay Ub Nymris, draw go Sarulf, voltron control Niv-Mizzet, combo Winota Sidisi, Zombie Tribal

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 3 years ago

That's what I've ordered, all stuff I might run in Ephara. There're a ton of pretty interesting cards but during the pandemic I'm only maintaining Ephara, kinda intending to pull the rest of my decks apart and rebuild some new stuff once we're able to play in person again here.

As far as what's for sure going into Ephara, just Glorious Protector and Cosmic Intervention

Glorious protector has been prety much discussed to death but it's an autoinclude. Just too much flexibility and power and a good flying body as well.

Cosmic Intervention I am predicting to be a huge powerhouse white card. The ability to ramp 4 off of 2 fetchlands is just bonkers. It's so powerful I'm going to add Fabled Passage.

knight_seb

Post by knight_seb » 3 years ago

Here are my probable picks in my decks :

Glorious Protector => Kaalia
Righteous Valkyrie => Kaalia
Burning-Rune Demon => Kaalia

Draugr Necromancer => Traximundar (Zombie tribal)

Birgi, God of storytelling => Kykar
Battle of frost and fire => Kykar

King Narfi's betrayal => Mimeoplasm

Sadly, no cards jumped to me for my other decks (helmed by Karador, Riku, Prossh, Kemba, Mayael, Dakkon). Howerver, Il will get Ravenform, Masked vandal, snow duals and a few others which picked up my interest.

BaronCappuccino

Post by BaronCappuccino » 3 years ago

Varragoth, Bloodsky Sire and Blightstep Pathway // Searstep Pathway - both for Chainer, Nightmare Adept. The latter is definitely replacing a basic land. The former will be a challenge because I don't run any cards that I don't like.

folding_music
glitter pen on my mana crypt
Pronoun: they / them

Post by folding_music » 3 years ago

Four of each common. It's a powerful set, Foretell is good and the common duals will help me make many, many budget decks!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”