Fun and classic beef to play in jeskai

kraus911
Pronoun: he / him

Post by kraus911 » 1 year ago

Zedruu decks always have a "trick" to them right? The "oh I'm giving you stuff but you know I'm going to use that to my advantage in the end or combo off or some mean thing" deck. I do that too with mine, but have been itching to try something new. Actually giving good cards to the player who is down. Not group hug. Not wheeling and dealing. Just, give a beefy dragon to someone to block or swing with. And if I'm the player that's down I'll keep my toys and use them my self thank you.

Now there's plenty of good jeskai beef these days, but I also want to play some of the classics. Because one of the things people have enjoyed about my Zedruu deck is I tend to play old cards. So Shivan Dragon is about the worst fire breathing dragon there is, but he's a classic boy and still flies and reduces life totals, so in he goes.

So, what are some jeskai heavy hitters, recent or from days of yore, that make you happy when they're on your side of the table?

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 126

Post by void_nothing » 1 year ago

For me, the three words that come to mind immediately are Nobilis, Of, and War.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by RxPhantom » 1 year ago

I don't know how good any of them are in Commander, but I like several of the dragons from Tarkir block, especially the regents: Icefall Regent, Sunscorch Regent, and Thunderbreak Regent. Are they classic enough? There's also the original dragon spirits from Kamigawa: Keiga, the Tide Star, Yosei, the Morning Star, and Ryusei, the Falling Star. Ah, memories.
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 2/18/22 (Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty)

FoxHybrid
Guardian

Post by FoxHybrid » 1 year ago

Drakuseth, Maw of Flames -A good card for you to keep and if you are going to give it away you can always try and make sure that the person you give it to won't point its ability towards your side of the board.
Dream Trawler -Just another good card. Excellent in the long games.

Desolation Twin -One body for you to keep, another to give away!

Stormtide Leviathan-If your deck ends up having lots of flyers, this could be nearly asymmetrical.

Treamayne

Post by Treamayne » 1 year ago

Polar Kraken is true classic beef fish?
Lightning Angel's classic, if closer to lamb or pork than beef after T5
Shivan Wumpus may qualify
Hamletback Goliath is beef, if not-quite-classic
Jareth, Leonine Titan may qualify (and is more likely to survive long enough to follow a path home)
- Ditto Colossus of Akros which can be gifted as a statue and let them decide to make him a monster or not
Dragon Tyrant (and similar) could be a self-limiting gift for defense if they can't pay the upkeep next turn
- Ditto Ball Lightning/Spark Trooper variants for limited attack gifts
Incarnations like Purity will self shuffle for re-use while incarnations like Valor will reward you from the yard after the person you give them to is done with them

Though I know you said "beef," other considerations may be:
Phyrexian Splicer (give away keywords)
Baton of Morale (give away Banding)
Rainbow Vale (self sharing)
Contested War Zone (self sharing)
Dragon Wings (and friends - "share" even if you don't transfer control)
kraus911 wrote:
1 year ago
Zedruu decks always have a "trick" to them right?
Does Prowess Aggro count as a "trick?"
SPOILER
Show
Hide
Zedruu Monk Prowess Edit.jpg
The only "give away" cards don't need his ability to do so, they either ETB in an opponent's control or share themselves (and not many of those, since Z's got a mile-wide target on her head most games). Though I guess buyback and rebound might just be a different "trick."
V/R

Treamayne

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 1 year ago

I know it isn't really anything novel, but Kraum really is excellent value. Flying and haste is great and he keeps your grip full. Similarly Ishai actually kinda gets enormous quite quickly.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

kraus911

Post by kraus911 » 1 year ago

These responses are exactly what I was looking for, thanks all! Nobilis of War makes me want to play the other hybrid avatars. Godhead of Awe is one with such a unique almost Humility effect. Dominus of Fealty lets me steal a creature and then donate it, no Zedruu trigger, but can still use his ability for shenanigans.

The tarkir dragons are a good side of beef for sure.

Polar Kraken is one I haven't seen before. Cost a hunk of mana, but giving it to someone if they're willing to sac a land for an 11/11 trample for 1 turn could be interesting. Still, hunk of mana.

@Treamayne I do like prowess, had a Shu Yun deck for just that. That's an interesting build though, little bit of politics and CA with Zedruu and then some good prowess targets.

materpillar
the caterpillar

Post by materpillar » 1 year ago

No one has said Akroma, Angel of Wrath?! For shame mtgnexus. For shame!

Anyway, I'm a certified Timmy sooooo…
Darksteel Colossus
Akroma, Angel of Fury
Zetalpa, Primal Dawn
Avacyn, Angel of Hope
Baneslayer Angel
Gisela, Blade of Goldnight
Etali, Primal Storm

Not normal classic but I have a soft spot for Mana-Charged Dragon.

FoxHybrid
Guardian

Post by FoxHybrid » 1 year ago

materpillar wrote:
1 year ago
No one has said Akroma, Angel of Wrath?! For shame mtgnexus. For shame!

Anyway, I'm a certified Timmy sooooo…
Darksteel Colossus
Akroma, Angel of Fury
Zetalpa, Primal Dawn
Avacyn, Angel of Hope
Baneslayer Angel
Gisela, Blade of Goldnight
Etali, Primal Storm

Not normal classic but I have a soft spot for Mana-Charged Dragon.
I don't think either of the Akromas can be donated w/ Zedruu due to their protection, right?

Also, can't believe I forgot Serra Angel. :sweat:

materpillar
the caterpillar

Post by materpillar » 1 year ago

FoxHybrid wrote:
1 year ago
I don't think either of the Akromas can be donated w/ Zedruu due to their protection, right?

Also, can't believe I forgot Serra Angel. :sweat:
… so they can't. I stand corrected. >.<

Ruiner

Post by Ruiner » 1 year ago

Serra Avatar is a pretty classic big beater.

Exalted Angel, and Quicksilver Dragon could be fun, especially if you can donate as a morph to surprise people. Akroma, Angel of Fury along the same lines (although you can't donate this one face up).

Inferno Titan, Sun Titan, and I guess (for cycle completeness) Frost Titan might fit.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”