Morophon, the Boundless- A Tribe Called Changeling

DrKillenger
Pronoun: he / him

Post by DrKillenger » 4 years ago

A Tribe Called Changeling

What on earth have you done? (Introduction)

Ever want to play a tribal deck? Ever have the problem of not being able to decide which tribe you want to build? Or even worse, deciding you want to build a tribe with all of 2 support cards? (looking at you Horses and Bears). I had all of the above issues and more so I decided to spit in the eye of my own indecisiveness and build a deck that can run any tribal card ever! If that doesn't even slightly interest you, well then frankly I think you need professional help, but I'm not a shrink so I can't help you there and-

...MOVING ON!

I'll be going over this manifestation of my own insanity in the form of a pile of cardboard in painstaking detail, walking through pretty much every single card, both in the deck list itself and not, because trust me, there's a LOT of cards you can potentially run in this deck. Paring it down to 100 was literal torture, so let me spare you that experience, and you can benefit from my personal trauma!

You might like this deck if:
  • You like heavily creature based strategies and/or unorthodox playstyles.
  • You prefer a deck that's flexible, adaptable, and plays differently from game to game.
  • You find the idea of Didgeridoo unironically being one of the best cards in the deck incredibly hilarious (and rightfully so).
  • You're one of those weird people with a slime fetish.
You're probably not going to be interested if:
  • You prefer consistency in your decks, ensuring that they do one thing really well and do it well every single game.
  • You think creatures are for filthy peasants and you spend your purely on the finest instants and sorceries money can buy. Quite literally.
  • You can't afford/don't want to shell out for a five color deck that's suuuuuuper janky. Building this deck on a tight budget is possible but I wouldn't really recommend it, you kind of need the consistency and power provided by better cards to make it actually work.
  • You were scarred for life as a little kid by that Monster Blood episode of Goosebumps. .....God I feel old now.

The Goo Daddy

So why Morophon? There's tons of 5 color tribal legendaries in the game now, and Morophon is just an overcosted lord right?

WRONG! (well, not entirely, but also shut up and let me finish)

There's a couple of nuanced reasons why I picked Morophon so lets take a peek at him to refresh our memories and I'll go over them one by one:

"Ah yes, the majestic whatever-the-heck-that-is, in it's natural habitat"

Lets tackle his most mundane aspect first. You name a type and he becomes a Lord for that type. This isn't a bad effect per se, but it's a tad underwhelming. Except Anthem effects are actually extremely important in this deck for reasons I'll get into later. Right now just take my word for it, having an Anthem effect in the Command Zone is really good for this deck.

Next is the spicy bit. The reason 99% of people who build Morophon do so because of this little gem: "Spells you cast of the chosen type cost less to cast." this is HUGE in the right deck and it's definitely a big thing here, but it's not why we play him really. There's several multicolored cards in the deck that benefit from this cost reduction and there's no "right" creature type to name every time. I usually name a type based off of my hand and current board state when I initially cast him and just sort of work from there. (Protip: Naming Human can be a pretty good if you've got nothing better to do since there's a good chunk of them in the deck and it lets you cast Jodah for which is an easy way to get approximately every creature in the deck onto the battlefield in a single turn.)

So it's not because he's a tribal lord, and it's not because he cheats on mana costs, so why are we running him? Easy: He's a Changeling. That's right, all those pretty words in that packed text box and I was sold on him by literally the very first one. Real talk though, having your commander be a Changeling is actually incredibly useful with how I built this deck. You can run into an issue from time to time where you draw a bunch of Lords and tribal support cards, but haven't hit any substantial amount of Changelings to get the ball rolling. Morophon lets you take tribal synergies which is almost universally a "go wide" strategy and turn it into a pseudo voltron deck, where all of your random creatures are making your commander an 11/11 indestructible, flying, hexproof monstrosity.

Lastly. As much as I was singing his praises literally a second ago, you really don't need to use Morophon as the commander of this deck. Any 5 color tribal commander will do (well, maybe not Atogatog) and I do it myself pretty regularly just to mix things up, I have five other WUBRG legendaries in the deck that I can switch with Morophon basically whenever I feel like it, and the deck works just fine. I'll touch on them briefly:
  • Reaper King|sld: The original commander of the deck actually. Good if you're feeling vindictive and want to show those Elfball hippies what you really think of their Gaea's Cradle.
  • Najeela, the Blade-Blossom: If you want to focus more on combos then Najeela is your girl. The deck already has a few ways to use her to make infinite mana/tokens/combat phases baked in, and if that's what you're into putting her in the Command Zone makes that a lot more consistent.
  • The First Sliver: This thing is bonkers. Don't believe me? Play it. You'll see. It took me a single game after slotting him into the deck to realize he immediately became one of the strongest cards in the deck. (She? There's eggs in the pic, idk, Sliver biology is weird)
  • The Ur-Dragon|sld: Kind of similar to Morophon actually. His cost reduction is weaker, but works without even having to cast him, and if you do cast him then the game is about to end. That triggered ability is no joke.
  • Sliver Overlord|sld: This is the only one I actually haven't tried in a real game yet. In theory it would still work since you can tutor up all manner of Changelings whenever you want, and he does funny things with Amoeboid Changeling and Shields of Velis Vel. Honestly I don't know why you would pick this when The First Sliver is a thing, but you do you.

Deck History/Who are you? How did you get in my house?

Feel free to skip this if you find it boring or just don't care. It don't matter, none of this matters.
Show
Hide
Who am I? No one really. I've been playing Magic for most of my life at this point, starting around Odyssey block when I was a wee lad and one of my older cousins gave me an ancient deck box with the art of Juzám Djinn on it filled with the stuff (I really miss that box). I had no idea what I was doing but quickly fell in love with the game and as I got better at it and my tiny weak child brain matured I started going to LGS events like prereleases and limited/draft events before I fell out of it between Time Spiral block and Innistrad. When I got back into the game it was at the tail end of Innistrad block and I had discovered EDH which completely revitalized my interest in playing Magic both at actual events and with friends over some beers. I now have 8 EDH decks that I love to bits and probably think about the game a bit more than is healthy for someone with semi-limited income.

As for the deck. I mentioned above that this list originated as a Reaper King|sld deck. To extrapolate on that a bit, that deck actually started as WUBRG Affinity, mainly just using Reaper King for its colors and the fact that it was an artifact creature. I loved the commander though (seriously, that flavor text, unf) and eventually decided I wanted to have a deck that really capitalized on him so I converted the existing artifact deck into Breya and started crafting what would eventually become this deck.

Annoyingly, approximately half way through working on the list Modern Horizons started getting spoiled and promptly blew my mind so I basically had to start over from scratch with the new influx of Changelings to the game. It was like a sign from above that this was meant to be, and even though I set out to build this deck because of Reaper King, the second I saw Morophon I knew he was destined to be the head of this deck, something something Serendipity something something Divine Providence something something, you get the point.

The Decklist

This is the deck as it exists in it's current state IRL. Consider it a glimpse into the MC Escher stairway that is my mind. I'll go over individual card choices below as well as alternatives that you can swap in and out of the list to find a balance that works for you and your meta. But if you think you're better than me and don't need to read the ravings of a lunatic my well thought out arguments and justifications for the deck as is, then by all means, just take a gander and be gone with you.

A Tribe Called Changeling
Approximate Total Cost:

Card Choice Discussion

I'm going to break this down into 5 sections to make it a bit easier to comprehend (for you and me):

Changelings- Why I'm running the ones I am, why I'm running the exact amount of them I am, and a more in-depth analysis of the ones that deserve it, they know who they are.
Tribal Payoffs- The meaty stuff, I'm going to go over all of the lords I'm playing in here, why they're here. I'm also going to point out which ones I think are more or less mandatory and which ones are more of a preference thing and can be cut in favor of whatever other payoffs you'd rather run in their stead.
Generic Goodstuff- I probably don't really need to go over these cards because they should be pretty self-explanatory, but it's also the smallest portion of the deck, and I've come this far so I might as well. This is your odd mana rocks, ramp spells, card draw and stuff that rewards you playing creatures in general, but isn't really tied to tribal shenanigans.
The Mana Base- A pretty important thing for a five color deck to get right, and just like the rest of this deck, it's janky as hell, so I'm gonna cover it here.
Sideboard Construction- Why I think it's important to have some form of sideboard for this deck, and a few suggestions on what you could/should run to help you against some popular strategies.

Slimy, Yet Satisfying
Changelings
Show
Hide
We're gonna start off strong by basically talking about the best card in the deck: Mirror Entity. Mirror Entity fixes almost all of this deck's problems entirely on it's own, and it's just a solid card all around for just about any deck, not just this one.

Mirror Entity has a lot of utility in this deck for one thing. Using its ability can allow a bunch of disparate Lords to affect each other even when you have no other Changelings on board, which drastically increases your board presence in a way that not many other 3 CMC cards can do. You remember when I said earlier that Anthem effects are really important in this deck? Well Mirror Entity is why. If you have two different things giving all of a type +1/+1, then you can activate Mirror Entity's ability for , meaning that at any moment, you can spread that Indestructibility that Knight Exemplar was giving to all your Changelings to everything on your board, as many times as you want. I cannot possibly understate how valuable this is in a permanent focused deck with limited instant speed interaction.

It's also a win-condition/mana dump all rolled into one. Make infinite mana with Najeela? Well now all of your attacking creatures have 10 million P/T. Did you cast Notorious Throng last turn and get 7 tokens and an extra turn off of it? Well now all those 1/1 Faerie Rogues are 11/11 flyers. Need more mana to play out your combo? Use Entity's ability for now all of your creatures can tap for mana with Gemhide Sliver, or you can tap that Harabaz Druid for (and then pump said mana back into Mirror Entity and kill someone).

Shapesharer is interesting, he has the unique effect of being able to turn any of your Changelings into the best creature on the board until your next turn. Most of the Lords in this deck are legendary, so there's limited targets for this effect on our own field, but plenty of opportunity to generate value based on the kinds of decks you're facing, and there are tricks we can pull with this effect too.

Turning a near-useless Universal Automaton into a second copy of Drogskol Captain or Knight Exemplar lets you protect those creatures from spot removal that might otherwise kill them is great in a pinch. Turning things into Harabaz Druid or Faeburrow Elder is an easy way to generate lots of mana for an explosive turn. You can also sneak in commander damage with Morophon by turning him into a Changeling Outcast then after blockers but before damage turning him into the beefiest thing on the board.

Lastly there's some neat synergy between Shapesharer and Amoeboid Changeling. You can give a token or a card that's served its purpose like a late game Gemhide Sliver every creature type, and then change it into something more useful. You can also give an opponent's threatening creature all types and then turn it into a 1/1 Faerie Rogue or something equally useless, depriving them of the original creature until your next turn. You'd be surprised how often my opponent's simply forget Shapesharer is even on the board before doing something and then getting blown out by it.

Frankly most of the other Changelings aren't much to write home about on their own and there isn't too much to say about them, their main purpose is to turn on the synergies between all of the other cards in the deck, so I'll address them briefly here:
  • Amoeboid Changeling poor man's Mirror Entity, it is worth noting though that this does enable you to mess with your opponent's creatures types too, so it can hose opposing tribal decks and also do some funny things with cards like Sliver Overlord|sld and Peer Pressure
  • Cairn Wanderer the only abilities he can't get from our creatures are Fear, Landwalk, Reach, Trample, and Protection. Wanderer gets better the longer the game goes on and more and more creatures die. He also gets better when you're playing against other creature focused decks, mill decks, and reanimator decks, but all in all he's a bit pricey for what he does frankly.
  • Unsettled Mariner the tax effect is a solid disincentive for your opponents to mess with your stuff. Unless you've become extremely threatening they probably dont wanna bother with your stuff and mess up their curve for it. Worth noting that this and Changeling Outcast are the only Changelings in the deck that get discounted all the way down to by Morophon alone, this makes them significantly more useful in certain situations.
  • Graveshifter Gravedigger is a pretty meh card, but this one has Changeling and we can't be too picky. Getting to reuse stuff that we've had to discard or sacrificed to Birthing Pod is pretty decent all things considered.
  • Changeling Outcast perfectly sets you up to cast Notorious Throng for its Prowl cost, and also has some really good synergy with Yuriko, the Tiger's Shadow. It being only 1 mana means it's a cheap (often free thanks to Morophon) way to get all those juicy ETB triggers too.
  • Irregular Cohort double triggers off of anything that goes off when a certain type enters the battlefield, it also double-dips on any anthem effect due to giving you two bodies to work with.
  • Taurean Mauler if your opponents let you hang on to this thing for whatever reason it is going to kill someone, I promise you that. It also acts as a decent red herring/lightning rod due to that fact, your opponent is gonna be so scared of Mauler hitting them that they'll point their spot removal at it instead of the Risen Reef that's ramping you and drawing you tons of cards.
  • Valiant Changeling a 3/3 with Double strike for is a pretty good deal, similarly to Cohort, this double dips on anthems thanks to double strike, and it can do a lot of damage before your opponents finally get around to answering it.
  • Venomous Changeling, Universal Automaton , and Avian Changeling yeah these are pretty mediocre, but we need to reach a certain threshold of Changelings for the deck to work, and I'd rather run these than something like Woodland Changeling or Fire-Belly Changeling.
On that note, we should talk about how many Changelings we're running and how I arrived at that number, but before we do there are 3 Changelings I've yet to mention, and they're gonna get their own little section, so let's get that out of the way first.

"Gentlemen, allow me to introduce the triple threat that is Huey, Dewey, and Louie"

These three, the "Champion Changelings" if you will, do a lot of heavy lifting in this deck, but I wanted to talk about all of the others first before I brought these guy up because they tie into our win conditions and all three kind of serve the same purpose, no other cards in the deck can really do what they do.

Championing a creature is a good way to reuse an ETB effect like those of Irregular Cohort or Graveshifter. On top of that they can be used to "reset" Morophon, many a game have I dropped Morophon and named "Scarecrow" or "Sliver" to help dump my hand, then Championed him, sacrificed the Champion to Birthing Pod to let me name "Human" or "Dragon" as he comes back in and play more stuff.

They can also be used as a form of board wipe insurance as well. Champion Unesh, Criosphinx Sovereign or some other high value target and once that Rift or Damnation hits, you're still gonna have at least one creature to work with while everyone else rebuilds.

The main reason they get their own section however, is because they come together, like Voltron, to become a win condition for the deck. Basically if you're not aware, you can have all 3 Champions target each other to create a loop and have infinite creatures entering the battlefield. Add Dragon Tempest to burn the table to death, Add Reaper King|sld to destroy everyone else's permanents, Gemhide Sliver or Manaweft Sliver to create infinite mana (thanks to the Berserker innately having haste), Ayula, Queen Among Bears will give all of your other Changelings infinite +1/+1 counters and cause a one sided board wipe with a ton of fight triggers, likely leading to an alpha strike for the win.

So as for the number of Changelings I think you should run. This deck runs 16 Changelings out of 39 Creatures in the deck (17 if you count Morophon himself) and that's not an arbitrary number. One of the things I agonized over when constructing this deck was exactly how many slots I had to dedicate to the goo boys because let's be honest, most of them kind of suck on their own.

The problem is that if you get the ratio wrong, you run into one of two issues, maybe even both depending on the game:
  • You end up drawing nothing but Changelings, which like I just said, kinda suck by themselves, and you end up playing a bunch of subpar creatures and have nothing to do with them.
  • You end up not drawing any Changelings so you're stuck with a hand full of stuff like Ayula, Queen Among Bears and Reaper King|sld and you begin to regret the life choices that have led you to this point.
Something I quickly learned is that due to Morophon's cost reduction, as well as jank like Rooftop Storm, I could drop a lot of creatures in one turn, so as long as I was drawing cards and ramping properly this problem would naturally sort itself out, I may only have 1 or 2 Changelings on board to work with until turn 5, but once I can get that first ball rolling, I could drop 10 of them in a single turn and be set from there on.

There are also other ways to "fix" your creature selection to alleviate this issue. I run Fauna Shaman and Birthing Pod not just because they're generally good cards, but because they allow you to turn any excess of one thing into another. Too many Changelings and not enough payoffs? ditch that useless Amoeboid Changeling for a Risen Reef and you're in business. Trying to get things started but don't have any Changelings to work with? Pitch that Ur-Dragon for your Mirror Entity and you'll be golden.

Basically, the more card draw and tutoring you run, the less Changelings you need to be effective, 17 is the number that works for the deck as it stands currently, but if you don't want to run my exact list you might find it more effective to bump that number up to 19-20, and if you really like shuffling, you could probably go as low as 15-16 (though honestly I'm not sure if I could recommend that).
Yes m'Lord
Tribal Payoffs (WARNING: This section is HUGE)
Show
Hide
God, where do I even begin?

Alright we're gonna talk about the actual creatures that care about our Changelings first, then go into things like Artifacts/Enchantments/Sorceries afterwards, going straight down in alphabetical order:

So Atla Palani is probably the only card where you would want Mirror Entity on the board with no anthem effects, because you can pay to to basically Polymorph your whole board. Outside of that, she makes bodies on her own, and is some serious board wipe insurance. While she's sitting on the field Birthing Pod goes absolutely nuts. I've been trying real hard to find a way to squeeze a reliable, repeatable sac outlet into this deck that isn't just jamming Phyrexian Altar or Ashnod's Altar into the deck because of the interaction between Atla, and Haakon, Stromgald Scourge. I tried Sling-Gang Lieutenant when it first came out, and it just felt pretty underwhelming outside of this one scenario so I had to cut it sadly. If they print a really good tribal sac outlet that's a decent enough card on its own then I'm definitely gonna try it out if just for the Eggy girl here. I'm thinking of testing out General Kudro of Drannith once Ikoria drops for this exact reason

Boy is Ayula great. She's cheap to cast, her ability can target herself, so if for whatever reason you don't want to load counters onto one of your Changelings (like, if you were planning on sacrificing them to Birthing Pod or are going to Champion them) you can have her beef herself up. The single best targets for her abilities in this deck are without a doubt Morophon, Chameleon Colossus, Venomous Changeling, and Changeling Outcast. Commander Damage isn't exactly a focus of this deck, but she can make Morophon big enough to kill someone in one or two hits very quickly. Chameleon Colossus's doubling effect makes stacking counters on it very effective, and it can fight a black creature that it would normally trade with. Venomous Changeling turns into spot removal with Ayula, and with Knight Exemplar on the board, turns all of your Changelings into spot removal. Changeling Outcast is unblockable, do I really need to explain this bit?

Bloodline Keeper is pretty straightforward. He taps to make 2/2 fliers which turn into 4/4's after he flips while simultaneously giving all of your Changelings +2/+2. Flipping him is pretty trivial in this deck, I often manage to flip him either the turn I play him or the turn immediately after. Remember when I said earlier that Shapesharer didn't have too many targets for it's ability in the deck itself? Well this guy is basically the single best one. Okay technically Lord of Lineage is the best one, but you know what I mean. Turning a bunch of Changelings into Lord of Lineage will make your board absolutely massive and allow you to make a stupid amount of vampire tokens. You can also tap Lord of Lineage to make a token, use Mirror Entity or Amoeboid Changeling to make it a Shapeshifter, and then turn the token into another Lord of Lineage, it's janky and dumb and probably not worth doing, but are you really gonna question that now after we've come so far?

In my original draft of the deck I had Sylvia Brightspear and Khorvath Brightflame in the deck, and they were awesome. However once I saw those fateful Modern Horizons spoilers I knew they were being replaced by this little guy. Sure you lose out on the double strike from Sylvia, which kind of sucks, but Cloudshredder Sliver is 4 mana cheaper than Khorvath and only takes up one card slot. When this deck is really starting to pop this card and Gemhide Sliver are actually really important, because you can then do things like tap for mana to play a Changeling to draw a card and then tap said Changeling for mana to play another one and draw another card, etc. etc. and that's not even taking the flying into account. If I manage to stick Sliver Overlord|sld this is the first thing I tutor for if I haven't gotten it already. Giving Flying+Haste to your whole board for and frequently for free thanks to Morophon is actually really, really strong, who would've thought?

Another kind of generic lord, but powerful nonetheless. I've had a lot of people suggest I run Lord of the Unreal instead of this card, but I'm not sure if he's actually much (if at all) better. For one thing they cost exactly the same amount of mana when discounted by Morophon, but in that situation the Captain's cost is actually better because it's instead of . They're both 2/2's but Captain comes with Flying baked in, which means he's substantially better at actually getting through for damage once that becomes relevant, and he's a better blocker too. The main thing Lord of the Unreal has going for it is that it's a Human, which makes that a better type to name with Morophon than it already is, and it's worded in a way that Mirror Entity and Amoeboid Changeling can let it protect itself. All in all, I think that giving your creatures Hexproof is extremely valuable in a creature-focused deck like this with lots of cards that draw removal like fat kids to an ice cream truck in Summer, so I would absolutely run one or the other, but I think it's pretty much personal preference here.

I'm gonna talk about both this card and Manaweft Sliver here because let's be real, they're the exact same card. The fact that I'm running two versions of the exact same card in this deck that's already extremely tight on space should tell you how important it is alone. Color fixing is obviously supremely important for any five color deck, and ramping is important for any EDH deck. These two are so much more than just mana dorks, they turn more than half your board into mana dorks, anyone who's played a Sliver deck or a deck that runs Cryptolith Rite should know exactly how powerful this is. Half of the time this deck starts going insane is because one of these two are letting me pump out absurd amounts of mana, and that mana gets me more creatures, that then tap for more mana, and before you know it you've played almost every card in the deck.

Okay now we're getting into the spicy stuff. Haakon's effect is extremely powerful, being able to just straight up cast our creatures out of the graveyard is insane, at that point the only removal that can really hurt you is Cyclonic Rift or something like Terminus. But there's an issue, how do we get him on the board to begin with if we can't cast him from our hand? There's 3 (reliable) options available to us: Fauna Shaman can discard him, using Birthing Pod on a 2 drop can cheat him in, and we can tutor him straight into the graveyard with Buried Alive. It's certainly possible to hit him with something like Kindred Summons too but that's usually just a happy accident. It's important to note that he says "Knight cards" and not "Knight creature cards" too, meaning that you can use him to repeatedly cast Crib Swap from your graveyard, combine this with Morophon and Jodah (or Unesh) and Crib Swap costs to cast, meaning you can cast it infinitely. Not only does this let you exile all of your opponents' creatures, but it's a wincon in that you get infinite Changeling ETB's, exile one of your creatures to get a Changeling token, cast it again targeting the token to exile it and get another token, rinse and repeat.

Another dork. This one's not quite as good as the Slivers, but it can do things that they can't. For one thing it can tap for a TON of mana all by itself, you don't have to tap down 3/4 of your creatures to cast something like you do with Gemhide Sliver, and it also benefits from cloning via Shapesharer unlike the Slivers which are redundant. Speaking of that, if you can tap Harabaz Druid for at least 4 mana, you actually gain mana every time you turn something into her with Shapesharer, with enough creatures and enough mana to get started this can lead to infinite mana with Najeela. Outside of that her main purpose is color fixing early, and powering out big expensive stuff in the mid game like Rooftop Storm or Kindred Summons. Mirror Entity is her BFF, I mentioned it in the section talking about that card but I'll repeat it here: You can activate Mirror Entity for 1, then tap Harabaz Druid for X mana where X=the number of creatures you control, then activate Mirror Entity for X to make everything gigantic and game ending.

Honestly this is another pretty straightforward one, so like with Drogskol Captain I'm gonna talk more about why I'm using this card and not any of the other options more than the card itself. When I originally built the deck this was Crested Sunmare because "lol funny Horse tribal card" but it always felt mediocre because there was no substantial lifegain in the deck to take advantage of its token production. Then I switched it to Timber Protector because at the time I was trying to make Treefolk Harbinger work. Well once I cut the Harbinger and decided I was going to put Haakon in the deck this seemed like the right answer, it was cheaper, had a decent body for the early game thanks to first strike, and it synergizes wonderfully with Haakon. The weakness of this card is that it's not indestructible itself, but with Haakon if someone kills her and doesn't immediately wipe the board before my next turn, she's just gonna come right back. This is one of the biggest groan inducing cards in the deck now in my meta because of how resilient and hard to deal with it makes my board.

Everyone knows Najeela by now, and they know what she does, and she does all those same things here. This deck runs a lot of creatures, and it makes a lot of tokens, and it can make all those creatures and tokens very large. Najeela takes that recipe and amplifies it by nearly doubling our token production, letting everything attack twice and giving them all Lifelink and Trample and thats not even getting into comboing with her. As far as combos with her goes, the main method of going infinite with Najeela is with her, Gemhide/Manaweft Sliver, and Mirror Entity and at least available (this needs to be generated by things you're not going to attack with by the by and you can skip out on the if you can activate Entity for ) you attack with at least 3 Changelings, Najeela will make 3 Warrior tokens, spend the to use Mirror Entity to make everything a 1/1 Changeling, then spend the to use Najeela, from there you can tap the Changelings you attacked with and the tokens Najeela made that are now Changelings as well to make 6 mana, rinse and repeat, then dump a million mana into Mirror Entity and kill everyone. You can do this very easily with Faeburrow Elder+Harabaz Druid instead of one of the Slivers too.

My baby boy. Easily my favorite card in the deck, and I was so pleased when they revealed the Kaleidoscopic Killers set with the first round of Secret Lairs, it's like it was made expressly for this deck. Reaper King is a win condition, but he's also our only real method of dealing with artifacts and enchantments, I will name Scarecrow with Morophon if he's in my hand even if it's a bad idea overall because slapping down this bad boy for free is a huge game changer. Everything in the deck that cheats cards into play, makes tokens, blinks things, it all gets 10x better when he's in play. Your opponents are likely to not let you keep him on the field for long, so try to get as much mileage out of Reaper King as you can the same turn you play him (or, alternatively, if you don't mind everyone hating you forever: use that first turn to blow up a bunch of their lands and make it harder for them to remove him to begin with). He wins you the game pretty much outright with the Champion Loop I outlined in the last section, and the Haakon+Crib Swap loop I talked about a minute ago, but he can effectively win you the game in a non-infinite manner with Arcane Adaptation naming Scarecrow and enough things to trigger him in a single turn to completely wipe out your opponents' mana.

You should keep almost any starting hand that contains this card, a Changeling, and enough mana to play them both. For the low price of 3 mana this card turns all of your Changelings into Coiling Oracle it can and will ramp you like crazy and draw you TONS of cards. The drawing cards bit is what keeps it relevant all the way through the game as well, getting extra lands into play early is fantastic but the gas late game is where this bugger really shines, I run several other cards that draw when a Changeling enters the battlefield, but none of them can come down on turn 2 like this thing can. I severely underestimated this card when it first came out, don't repeat my mistake, run this card, I implore you.

Can you say "one-sided boardwipe on a stick"? Yes? Good. For a 6 mana creature this thing is a bit more defensively statted then I would prefer, especially for something that gives you such a huge incentive to attack with lots of "Dragons" but it's hardly the end of the world. Silumgar doesn't care about Indestructible, it doesn't care about Shroud, and it doesn't care about Hexproof. Speaking of Hexproof, this thing is gonna be a royal PITA for your opponents to get rid of thanks to that totally unnecessary ability they kinda just slapped on this bad boy, enjoy abuse it while it lasts. If your opponents have some big scary dudes on their fields and you've got a bunch of weak little goobers sitting there well then Silumgar will eat those big beatsticks for lunch. God help any poor token decks that have spent half the game making 374 tokens and durdling with them when this card hits the field, you wanna know what it sounds like when 374 Goblins all simultaneously crap their pants? Play Silumgar.

Man, you will get the dirtiest looks from anyone you're playing against with an actual Sliver deck when you drop this card. to tutor any Changeling we want or need is pretty nice, it's an easy way to assemble the pieces for the Champion loop, grab Mirror Entity so you can combo out with Najeela, you get the idea, I don't need to explain why tutors are good. If you play Arcane Adaptation and name Sliver this lets you tutor any creature in your deck as well, which yeah, it's dumb. As far as its other ability goes it's only real practical use (other than the trolly scenario I already suggested) is with Amoeboid Changeling, you can turn an opponent's big scary thing into a Changeling, and then snatch it because that means it's now a Sliver too. Oh and I suppose you could steal a Changeling token you gave to someone with Crib Swap but that seems kinda pointless and a waste of mana.

Disgusting. Absolutely disgusting. This card is already gross in its natural habitat in a Sliver deck, but thanks to this deck's penchant for making all of its creatures basically free and drawing tons of cards, this thing becomes completely broken. I guarantee you, with the right cards in play, dropping The First Sliver and then casting a Changeling will end up with you casting 80% of the cards in your deck, mostly for free, probably netting an extra turn, and most likely killing everyone. A couple of specifics that I should note: If you hit a Changeling or another Sliver off of TFS' own Cascade trigger you will not get another Cascade trigger off of that cast because TFS is still on the stack and not on the field. Note that Valiant Changeling has a CMC of 7, even though it rarely actually costs that much mana, so you can hit some pretty big spells off of him for just . And if you stick an Arcane Adaptation naming Sliver with TFS in play, every single creature you cast will Cascade so yeah, pretty nuts.

The beefiest creature in the deck by a pretty substantial margin. Hitting this off of something like Call to the Kindred early on in the game feels really dirty. Getting to slap down any permanent from your hand is really nice, but really it's just the MASSIVE amount of cards you can draw off of this guy that's the main appeal. Nine mana is a lot, but this guy is worth that investment. Of course when I say "worth that investment" I mean "worth naming Dragon with Morophon and casting him as a 4 mana 10/10 with flying that draws you cards and gives you free stuff when it attacks". Worth noting too that just like Haakon, The Ur Dragon's Eminence doesn't specify Dragon creature spells, in this deck that only applies to Crib Swap, but there are other Tribal - Shapeshifter spells you could run in this deck like Wings of Velis Vel that this could apply too, there's also some nonsense you could pull with Artificial Evolution too, but this deck doesn't really recur spells, and I'm not sure using Evolution on this card for something like that is worth it.

Free Fact or Fiction every time a Changeling enters the battlefield will quickly draw you through 90% of your deck. The cost reduction is great too, the most expensive Changelings get in this deck is 5 mana, this alone cuts most of them down to 1 or 2 mana, with Morophon in play almost half of them cost nothing, add in Urza's Incubator and there's only three in the whole deck that don't cost because of double pips in their mana costs. What this means is that Unesh can dig 4 cards deep off of one trigger, and as long as you hit a single Changeling you just pick that pile and you can cast it for free and do it again. This is a great way to dig for a specific card you need, just keep it going as long as you can or until you hit that last combo piece, pick that pile and proceed to win. I do feel like I need to warn you however, resolving Unesh's trigger several times can lead to the dreaded 25 minute turn, so if you hate that sort of thing, or your playgroup heavily frowns upon it, I would suggest running something else in this spot.

There's a good chunk of average to high costed cards in this deck (in particular, Reaper King is a 10 drop and The Ur Dragon is a 9 drop, which hurts) and you can get a LOT of triggers in this deck. Her main purpose is to draw us cards, but that damage can really add up super quick. Especially if you sneak that damage in on everyone using Ninjutsu, your opponent might think he's just getting attacked by 6 tiny Faerie Rogue tokens, but one Ninjutsu and a Mirror Entity activation later and suddenly everyone is losing 26 life. Changeling Outcast can guarantee Yuriko slips in this way, but if you named Human with Morophon it can honestly be better to just cast her for and even though it kind of broadcasts your intention it can sometimes mean the difference between casting 3 cards that turn or going off and casting 35. Lastly she can be used to get back something you've Championed via Ninjutsu, you can also use it to bounce Morophon and recast him to change his assigned type.

Glad that's over and done with. Now I just... have to... talk about... all of the other cards in the deck (why am I doing this to myself again?)

Okay, existential crisis over, getting back to the topic at hand. This card's mileage can vary pretty wildly, if you play against a lot of other tribal decks pretty regularly I would probably not run it and opt for a more boring and traditional board wipe, but the only tribal decks I run into frequently are an Edgar Vampires deck and a Sliver deck so it does wonders for me. Every type chosen applies to every player's board so you should be naming something like Squirrel or Oyster, not just because it's incredibly funny to say out loud, but because then your opponents have one less chance to save any of their creatures, whatever types get chosen doesn't matter to you because all of your Changelings have those types.

Gives you a ton of tokens to mess around with, and then most likely gives you an extra turn to then kill everyone with said tokens. Worst case scenario you smack someone with Changeling Outcast for 1-2 damage and take an extra turn, which is still pretty good. The big thing is the extra turn obviously, but those tokens are nothing to sneeze at either honestly, Shared Animosity can make getting 10+ Faeries immediately lethal, dropping this with Arcane Adaptation and something like Reaper King or Dragon Tempest is also a real gut punch to your opponents. Also, if you have Haakon in play and target him with Artificial Evolution (and don't worry, I'm gonna get to THAT card in a minute) you can replace the word "Knight" with the word "Rogue" and then all of a sudden so long as you can make and have a way to connect for damage with a Changeling (hello again Changeling Outcast) you've got infinite turns on your hand.

This, like Harsh Mercy, varies wildly in power from game to game, but in reverse. It can be good against other tribal decks depending on who's ahead and how wide their deck goes. For instance you're not likely going to be able to use this against a Krenko deck for instance, but you might just ruin a Syr Gwyn player's night entirely (get it? night?), because this deck can make lots of tokens and homogenize their types so this actually hoses less token based tribes pretty hard. If your opponents aren't playing tribal but still run a creature focused build like your Aleshas or Marchesas then you can usually still take a bunch of their stuff by naming common types like Human, Wizard, or Soldier. Also this doesn't wear off at the end of the turn, so sometimes it can be worth it use this as a better Control Magic by naming the type of some big bomb your opponent dropped like Construct to take a Blightsteel Colossus or Sphinx to nab a Consecrated Sphinx.

Unlike Harsh Mercy this is an unconditional, one-sided board wipe. Unless you play in some weird meta where everyone has an Arixmethes Sea Monster tribal deck, if so.... where are you? That sounds like my kind of meta. This card can effortlessly set you up to hit someone for lethal and have a really big turn in general, and it can also save you and everyone else from being overrun by someone else (that's OUR job damn it!) and buy enough time for you and everyone else (but mostly you) to stabilize while they have to rebuild their board. There really isn't too much to say about this card, sure it bounces all of our lords back to our hand too, but how many times am I going to have to type the words "Mirror Entity" before you people start figuring it out on your own?

This card is awesome. Like, SO awesome. I know I've said that a lot by now, but seriously, there is no other card in all of Magic that can do what Artificial Evolution does. It affects not only the card's type line (if it's a creature or a Tribal card) but also every instance of that word in the creature's whole text box. For instance, if I cast Artificial Evolution targeting a Sliver Overlord|sld and chose to replace "Sliver" with "Squirrel" then he would become an Squirrel Mutant with ": Search your library for a Squirrel, reveal that card and put it into your hand. Then shuffle your library" and ": Gain control of target Squirrel" (I did exactly that to someone playing him as their commander and it was exactly as hilarious and cruel as it sounds). This can even target spells on the stack, so you can preemptively change something's type and effect before it even hits the field or alter an instant or sorcery that affects particular types of creatures. However you can only replace words that are printed on the cards themselves, so anything that says "choose a creature type" or similar cannot be altered this way sadly.

This spell basically doubles your board state. Usually it's the best call to just name whatever creature type is prevalent on your board at the time to hit as many creatures as possible, but if you want something specific it can't hurt to just name Dragon or Shaman in an attempt to get those specific cards, but at that point you're kind of just rolling the dice. Mirror Entity maximizes the number of creatures you'll pull by making everything Changelings, and Arcane Adaptation makes it so you can pull any creatures you hit so long as you name the same type you did for that. I know this is an Instant, and it's extremely valuable that it is, allowing you to get a bunch of creatures right before your turn so you can untap with them, or generate a lot of bodies out of nowhere to muck up combat, but it's often the right call to cast this on your own turn I think, given this deck's ability to steamroll card advantage the way it does, being able to cast Kindred Summoning and then follow it up with more stuff based off of what it gave you can often lead to winning the game.

Slap this bad boy on a Changeling and with the density of creatures in this deck you're pretty much guaranteed something off of your top 5 every single turn which I'm sure I don't have to tell you, gets real dumb real quick (bonus points if you drop it on a Chameleon Colossus so they can't Murder it). I was considering squeezing Worldly Tutor and/or Congregation at Dawn into the deck at one point because of their general usefulness and synergy with this card, but ultimately I think it's unnecessary. Most of the time it doesn't matter what you hit, just that you hit something, if you're trying to trigger tribal synergies any Changeling will do the job, and if you're looking to get more Lords onto the field this isn't the right card to do that, it's too inconsistent, any big bomby Lord you hit like Reaper King or Ur Dragon is just a happy coincidence. All in all I think this card really shines in this deck, but you don't need to run it, especially if Auras are particularly fragile in your meta, you could pretty easily take this card out to make room for something else, I just have a personal soft spot for it because it's one of the few surviving cards from the original original draft of this deck.

Win conditions for 2 mana are pretty good I think. The haste effect is a tad useless, I mean, don't get me wrong it's nice to give haste to guys like Ur Dragon, Silumgar, and Unesh, but the only way 99% of our Changelings are going to benefit from it is with Cloudshredder Sliver, which already gives them haste anyways. It's Scourge of Valkas effect on the other hand... hoo boy can this get out of hand real quick. It's not unheard of for this deck to be able to dome players for 30+ damage after a Kindred Summons or some other such shenanigans like Notorious Throng+Arcane Adaptation. Also note that the creature that triggers Tempest is the one that does the damage, not the enchantment itself, so triggering it with Venomous Changeling kills something even if it's the only Changeling you have on board, and you can potentially gain a ton of life off of Changeling Hero, I'm sure there are a lot of other ways to abuse this particular aspect of the card if you really wanted to, but these are the only ones I've come across with the deck in it's current state.

This card is SOOOOO busted, seriously, oh my GOD is it dumb, there's absolutely a reason that it's shot up to around $20, I hate spending that kind of money on individual cards and I STILL think this was worth it. Every time I've managed to play this card I've won that game, you will draw 10-15 cards off of this thing easily if it's not answered immediately. That being said, much like Reaper King|sld a smart player will NOT let you sit on this card so be prepared to get as much value out of it the turn you play it as possible, there's no guarantee you'll have it after that turn. Not much I can really say about this thing, OP cards are OP and you should play them. If budget is a concern I suppose you could replace it with something like Coastal Piracy or Bident of Thassa but it's really not the same, this deck abuses the attack trigger and the ETB trigger equally so those card are really only giving you half the value. I should warn you though, this deck frequently wins by generating infinite ETB triggers, so be careful that this card isn't on the board when you do that, blow it up with Reaper King or something, because that draw trigger isn't a "may" so you're probably gonna deck yourself before you kill everyone, it's possible with the amount of damage churned out by Dragon Tempest that you won't, but then you have to do math and that's even worse.

Draw 4 lose 4 would already been worth running without any of the other text on the card, but then they had to go ahead and add those four magical words at the end: "you win the game". Getting 4 "Demons" with different names into play in this deck is an absolute joke of a prerequisite, if you're opponents aren't prepared for it this can just straight up steal the game from under everyone's noses. This card will (rightfully so) stress your opponents out as long as it's on the field, so be prepared to take some heat because of it if they can't kill the enchantment, you might end up seeing a lot of removal being pointed at your creatures, or a board wipe getting dropped. Thankfully since you can anticipate that reaction you can plan for it: if you know one of your opponents is sitting on a wipe and you want to force it out of their hand, Liliana's Contract is a great way to do that. Even if it's blown up immediately it's still card advantage, so just think of it as a draw spell with huge potential upside, and not as an actual win condition and you're golden.

Even without messing with creature types this card is good. It effectively ramps you into Morophon since you can drop Storm for and then immediately cast Morophon for free after. You can cast Haakon from your graveyard for free with this and get that ball rolling. Naming Zombie with Arcane Adaptation is gross. This + Haakon + a Changeling + a sac outlet goes infinite barring any Rule of Law or Leyline of the Void shenanigans. The only things I don't like about this card is A) it's expensive, even in this deck 6 mana for a non-creature is kind of awkward, and B) this and Jodah, Archmage Eternal kind of make each other feel superfluous since they both kind of serve the same purpose, but hey, the effect is THAT strong so I'm not gonna complain, and I certainly don't ever really feel bad to draw the card unless it's like turn 2.

Takes a medium sized boardstate and makes it hit like Saruman's army at the end of The Two Towers (if you don't get that reference we can't be friends and you need to go educate yourself). This card doesn't really need any direct combos to go nuts, it just kind of does thanks to how the deck is constructed. Having said that, Mirror Entity maximizes the benefit you get from this card, like it does with every other card in the deck (seeing a pattern yet?). Casting this on the extra turn given to you by Notorious Throng after getting like 10 Faerie tokens almost guarantees at least ONE person is going to die. This is also a good way to ensure that Najeela can kill off the table if you don't have Mirror Entity or a way to make her go actually infinite, note that the Warrior tokens she makes DO count towards the bonus your other Warriors get, but they won't get the buff themselves until the next combat step because they didn't attack, they were put in attacking instead.

This lets you put any Changeling into play for at instant speed, that should speak for itself. This card has kind of a low floor but a very high ceiling. On one hand cheating in stuff like Changeling Outcast with nothing to really capitalize on it feels pretty weak BUT paying the same amount of mana to flash in The Ur Dragon|sld thanks to naming Minotaur with Arcane Adaptation is insane. Cards like this are why draw power is so important in the deck, a lot of pieces in the deck depend on having the right options available to capitalize on them in order to steamroll that card advantage into a win. Worst case scenario, Didgeridoo only costs to actually cast, so even if you can't capitalize on it right away, you can pretty much just drop it in play and if it eats removal, well then that's one less card your opponents have that could have blown up your other artifacts, and if they let it sit there then two turns later you could be using it to flash a combo into play on your opponent's end step.

Think of this card as a turbo mana rock in this deck. SO many important cards become completely free when you've got Incubator and Morophon in play, importantly it also drops Morophon's cast from to which means with the right starting hand you can get Morophon into play as early as turn 3. Like so many other cards in this deck that say "choose a creature type" the type you want to name is pretty contextual, name what will let you vomit the most things onto the field in the shortest amount of time. For what it's worth, unless I'm trying to use Incubator to combo I would probably only name Dragon, Scarecrow, or Sphinx with this card because thats where you get the most value from the cost reduction. The Slivers and Humans in the deck mostly only cost colored pips and obviously our Changelings don't care. Human isn't terrible to name mind you because there's a sizable chunk of them in the deck, but the only one you get the full discount for is Najeela.

Rewards you with yet more card draw for playing Changelings, this isn't quite as strong as things like Kindred Discovery or Risen Reef because it's only on cast and not on ETB, but that's hardly the worst thing in the world, in fact it's sometimes a bonus since you don't need to worry about decking yourself with this when doing the Changeling loop and things like that. The anthem effect on this is actually quite nice since it's not actually on a creature too. This means that Banner allows you to activate Mirror Entity for without having to have another anthem effect in play since Banner won't become a 0/0 and die like the creature based anthems do. All in all it's a solid card so I would recommend running it, but it's hardly vital in any way so if you feel you have enough card draw then feel free to cut this in favor of something else if you feel you need space.
Even Clown Cars Need Gas
Generic Goodstuff
Show
Hide

I'm not gonna get as fancy with the next two sections as I did with the last two since most of these cards are utilitarian in nature and should be pretty self-explanatory, also formatting that last section killed my soul and I just want this over with now, so here goes nothing:

Faeburrow Elder- Honestly, this should just be Bloom Tender, but that card is hella expensive and I don't have one (yet). Morophon costs 7 mana, and there's a lot of cards with multicolored pips in their mana costs in this deck, that makes something like Elder and Bloom Tender significantly more powerful, but also much, much more crucial to getting our stuff out in time.

Fauna Shaman- I alluded in the section on the Changelings that it's really important to strike a balance between goo boys and various lords so you don't run out of steam as the game goes on, well Fauna Shaman helps to facilitate that beautifully, a turn 2 Shaman can set you up to have a really good time. (Protip: Pitch a Changeling to get Haakon, then pitch Haakon the next turn to grab Risen Reef and you'll be riding that gooey gravy train in no time.)

Arcane Adaptation- This card is great for really amplifying the effects of a particular tribal lord. This card is really not something you want to play right away, hold onto it until you know exactly how you're going to generate the most value possible out of it with the other cards at your disposal. For example: you can apply Morophon's discount to all of your creatures by naming the same type with both, you can absolutely brutalize the board with Reaper King by naming Scarecrow, tutor whatever you want and Cascade all the things by naming Sliver, or make your creatures nigh-unassailable by naming Knight thanks to Haakon and Knight Exemplar.

Guardian Project- This card is dumb in EDH, but I like dumb, and so should you. It doesn't care about creature types whatsoever, but since we're a creature focused deck and constantly abusing ETB triggers it would be foolish not to use this to our advantage.

Birthing Pod- Pod is love, Pod is life. Much like Fauna Shaman, this card helps to keep us from spinning our wheels too much once we get to mid game, and you can really get an engine going by Podding a 2 drop Changeling into Haakon, and then casting it and every other Changeling you Pod into and out of from your graveyard. Make a note what your creature curve is like and always be aware of what your options are with this card.

Chromatic Lantern- Kind of a wonky mana rock, but in a 5 color deck with a suboptimal mana base this thing does some really nice heavy lifting.

Dragon's Hoard- This honestly should have been in the last section, but there isn't much for me to say about it, it's a decent rock, and it will draw you cards when you don't need the mana, and it will always have a Gold counter on it in this deck, what's not to love?

Sol Ring- I'm not gonna sit here and tell you why you should run Sol Ring, that would just be condescending.

Buried Alive- This is mainly used to dump Haakon into our yard, but you get another two creatures alongside him, use those two choices situationally to help you adapt to what's going on in the game. If you've already got Haakon through Pod or something, use this to grab the Champions and try to combo off, if you've got Arcane Adaptation set to Knight you can grab whatever the hell you want. Go nuts!

Skyshroud Claim- Solid ramp, it's the whole reason we're running every Forest/X shock in the deck we can since it practically guarantees we'll have all 5 colors on the next turn, outside of the shocks Murmuring Bosk is a solid card to grab with this too. I'll be trying out the new Ikoria Triome lands soon enough to see how they fit in this deck since they naturally synergize with Claim as well.
All About That Base
The Mana Base
Show
Hide

Ancient Amphitheater/Auntie's Hovel/Gilt-Leaf Palace/Murmuring Bosk/Primal Beyond/Secluded Glen/Wanderwine Hub- These cards are cheap as hell (for the most part, Gilt-Leaf Palace was stupidly expensive until recently) and almost always come in untapped in this deck. You should be drawing tons of cards with this deck, and if you don't have any Changelings in your hand after that then you have bigger problems than a tapland.

Ally Encampment/Haven of the Spirit Dragon/Sliver Hive/Unclaimed Territory- These can sometimes be frustrating when you need the colored mana to cast weird stuff like Ayula or Unesh, but 80% of the time it's not a problem and the upside of these lands are huge. They don't enter tapped, they make any color of mana, the former two can act as recursion for our Changelings in a pinch, and Sliver Hive makes tokens which I shouldn't need to explain why that's relevant at this point.

Command Tower/Cascading Cataracts/Exotic Orchard/Forbidden Orchard- These are pretty self explanatory, there's almost no reason why you wouldn't want to run these in a 5 color deck, and if you don't play Command Tower then you're either a hipster or an idiot.

Breeding Pool/Overgrown Tomb/Stomping Ground/Temple Garden- This should ideally be a set of all ten shocks, but I'm not made out of money alright? Like I said earlier, Forest/X shocks are great with Skyshroud Claim and they're more important in general than the other shocks because we need green to be able to play almost all of our other ramp, so getting a land that can make green and another color is a priority here.

Mutavault- It's a land that turns into a Changeling, how cool is that? It can often be worth it to tap it for a colorless and use that colorless to turn it into a Changeling just to pump up certain effects by 1 like Kindred Summons or Harabaz Druid (which is effectively just filtering the colorless of this land into colored mana), and as long as you didn't play Mutavault that turn you can tap a land like Sliver Hive, use the colorless to make Mutavault a creature, then tap it for any color thanks to Gemhide Sliver, effectively using Mutavault as a middleman to filter mana too.

Path of Ancestry- Since our commander is every creature type, this will Scry off of any creature you play with it, every Morophon deck should absolutely be running this card.

Swarmyard- I don't care what it does, it says "Insect, Rat, Spider, or Squirrel" on it, that's just awesome. Real talk though, ": Regenerate half of the cards in your deck including your commander" is crazy strong.
Why can't I hold all these Magic cards?
Sideboard Construction
Show
Hide

So you may have noticed a little oddity in the decklist, there's a sideboard listed with only five cards. This is a little disingenuous, my "actual" sideboard is closer to 30 cards, comprised mostly of cards I cut from the deck in earlier stages of its construction, since there's still scenarios where they could be useful, and I still occasionally want to play with them from time to time. We're gonna put a pin in the five cards I have listed for now, I'll get back to them later I promise, but for now I want to specifically talk about why I think you really should have a sideboard for this deck.

I'm not generally one to use sideboards in EDH, I prefer for my decks to be flexible enough that I can adjust to pretty much any matchup without having to slot things in and out between games, not only does this lead to less time between games but also tends to make your decks stronger overall. That being said, this deck has to go so all-in on what it's trying to do that it leaves very little room for the typical "silver bullets" that I would include in one of my normal lists, so having a handful of interchangeable slots to help diversify your list can go a very long way. Not only that, but there are SO many cards you can run in this deck that having a sideboard lets you more freely switch things in and out both to test out new inclusions, and to simply diversify your experience playing the deck.

I'm not going to tell you exactly what your sideboard should be, it's extremely subjective because everyone's meta is different, but I'll give you a few suggestions of things you might want to consider depending on the kinds of decks you're running into:
  • General Kudro of Drannith: If you find yourself running into a lot of reanimator decks, this guy basically punches them right in the nads if they're not careful, he's a little slow in that he only exiles two cards for every Human you have ETB, so he won't help that much against mass reanimation strategies like Living Death but his low CMC, anthem effect, and activated ability that's both a sac outlet and targeted removal means he'll still be useful 99% of the time. Honestly he's close to mainboard material, but I'm just not that sold on him yet because he's still so new.
  • Kalitas, Traitor of Ghet: This can definitely hose reanimator similarly to Kudro, but he doesn't stop your opponent from milling or discarding creatures, I'm mostly mentioning him here as a counter to Aristocrats decks. Since his ability is a replacement effect, the creatures will never hit the graveyard, so you don't need to worry about things like Blood Artist or Child of Alara while he's in play, which is really, really useful. He's also a sac outlet like Kudro, but the effect you get is pretty underwhelming in this list, it's kind of just a nice little cherry on top.
  • Arachnogenesis: If you face down a lot of aggro or voltron decks this can really make those players heads spin at the right time. Arachnogenesis is one of those cards that is already okay on its own, but becomes downright broken in this deck thanks to things like Arcane Adaptation and Mirror Entity. An ill-advised attack can lead to a total blowout with this card, something like Adaptation+Reaper King or Adaptation+Dragon Tempest can lead to a one sided boardwipe, or you just outright killing one or more players respectively. Mirror Entity with enough mana means you can probably kill everything they attacked you with as well. It's not gonna help you against those pesky Thantis decks though!
  • Tuktuk Scrapper: This little guy can absolutely brutalize Artifact decks, destroying them is already good, but that damage trigger on top of it means that you can probably kill that player with just 3-4 triggers as well. Hell, there are enough rocks and Treasures in the format now that this could probably be considered for the mainboard too, I just personally think it's overkill for me, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't consider it for yourself!
  • Qasali Slingers: Similarly to the above, Slingers is a great way to give any Enchantress decks the middle finger (well... until they play Replenish at least, but I have an answer to that below). I'm not too thrilled with it being a five drop, but at least you get a decent body alongside the effect for that mana. Slinger's effect being a "may" is a really big deal too, I don't really like Harmonic Sliver for that exact reason since we actually run a decent number of critical artifacts and enchantments and being forced to blow them up would just feel horrible.
  • Lullmage Mentor: If you play a lot of decks that aim to cast a bunch of big swingy spells like Genesis Wave or Exsanguinate to win the game, then this is the perfect answer for you. My deck as-is can have a hard time directly dealing with Spellslinger decks outside of becoming immune to their removal via indestructible or hexproof and just, well... murdering them, so a tribal card that can counter spells is just the bees knees if this is a big concern for you. I was torn between suggesting this and Voidmage Prodigy but I think it largely comes down to personal preference and how you've constructed the deck, so use whichever one you think is best, or both, do whatever you want I'm not your mom.
So this is just a start, you don't need to (and probably shouldn't) run these exact cards, or any of them for that matter, it's up to you and the knowledge you have of your meta to decide what kind of sideboard you want. Now it's time to pull out that metaphorical pin I put in earlier and talk about those extremely random five cards I had listed.

I mentioned at the very top of this guide that I occasionally switch Morophon for one of the other WUBRG legendaries in the deck when I feel like it. Well after the first time I did this, I realized that when Morophon wasn't the acting commander of the deck, Jodah felt extremely underwhelming. This gave me the idea of having a selection of cards that I can swap Jodah out for for each potential commander I have in the deck to help capitalize on their particular effects.
  • Boldwyr Intimidator: Kind of obviously this is meant to go with Najeela. If you wanted a slightly more serious card that would help you win games then something like Nature's Will would probably be better, but lets be real, getting to run cards that say wacky stuff like "Cowards can't block Warriors" is the whole reason I built this deck, so it's an obvious choice for me. Ironically this makes you extremely weak to actual Najeela decks because changelings are all Cowards too, so just be aware that that's a thing.
  • Shields of Velis Vel: This card is hilarious with Sliver Overlord|sld. For just you get a one-time Mirror Entity activation minus the pump effect which is already pretty good, but the interesting part is that you can target your opponents with it. Suddenly all of your opponents critters are Slivers, so for every extra you have the turn you play this, you get to steal one of them. It's also a Tribal instant, so you can do this repeatedly with Haakon in play. Theoretically you can infinitely pump your whole board if you can cast both this and Nameless Inversion for free with Haakon too, just cast Shields a trillion times, then cast Inversion on each of your critters a thousand times, then cast Shields one more time to make them all Changelings again and boom.
  • Wheel of Fate: So if you've ever played with The First Sliver before, you know that it's actually pretty common to Cascade chain all the way down to 1 on a good turn. Wheel of Fate being a 0 drop means that the first time that happens you also get to refill your hand, which will probably lead to you putting another 15 creatures into play via Cascade and winning the game. Depending on how your deck is built you might prefer to run Living End in lieu of this though.
  • Ulamog, the Infinite Gyre: I mentioned it up top, but you can Birthing Pod Reaper King|sld into Ulamog as early as turn 4-5 with the right opening hand, and that's really just gonna end the game right then and there if your opponent doesn't have something like Swords to Plowshares already in their hand. Need I say more? If Ulamog is too pricey for you, then Rite of Replication is always hilarious with Reaper King.
  • Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind: This deck can draw tons of cards all at once, OG Niv turns that into creature removal (or player removal). He directly synergizes with The Ur-Dragon|sld since Ur-daddy draws you boatloads of cards with his trigger, and Niv is a Dragon, so he benefits from the cost-reduction and can contribute to his effect by attacking, which is way better than tapping him to ping someone. Niv-Mizzet, Parun is better in a vacuum I think, but good luck casting that in a 5 color deck. Something like Utvara Hellkite would probably be a good alternative as well, but I already run that in Prossh.

Strategy Schmategy

As atypical as this deck is on a surface level, the early to mid-game stuff you're looking to do is fairly innocuous and in line with what a lot of other decks do, ramp early, draw as much as you can, start setting down pieces and stabilizing the board, then keep digging until you can establish some form of engine to dig for a wincon. For discussion on early game we're primarily going to talk about things you want to look for in an opening hand as well as card sequencing for maximum efficiency. As far as midgame goes I want to go over how you establish synergies and how you should build on what the deck has given you to start steamrolling advantage. When it comes to late-game we're going to discuss our combos as well as non-infinite but nonetheless game-ending synergies you should look for. However before we get into all of that, there's something I want to discuss that is relevant to all stages of the game first.

Lions! and Tigers! and Bears!- and Slivers, and Dragons, and Sphinxes, and Ninjas, and... you get the idea.

So in looking over the deck list (you did do that right?) you may have noticed a particular line of text pop up several times on a lot of different cards:

"As [REDACTED] enters the battlefield, choose a creature type"

Well what creature type do you choose? When half of your stuff has every type, and the other half has next to no uniformity whatsoever, what on earth should you name? Warrior? Dragon? Oyster? The actual answer to this is highly subjective and involves a lot of factors that change from game to game. Depending on how you built the deck, what decks you're playing against, where you're at in said game, and what card in particular we're talking about the answer may change at almost any moment. In light of this, I'm going to discuss how you should approach these cards categorically instead of going over them one-by-one, because there's a good amount of them, and even more that I didn't include in my list that you may include in your own.

First off, there's the cards where you almost always want to name an obscure type, like Squirrel, Crab, or Coward. Not just because it's hilarious, but because it'll make whatever the card does either only apply to your creatures, or conversely immune to it. This is stuff like Harsh Mercy, your Patriarch's Biddings, and your Urza's Incubators. This group is pretty straightforward all things considered, which is why I'm mentioning it first. Your Changelings will be affected by these cards regardless of what you choose, so picking an obscure type like Elephant or Homarid will ensure that you make these effects as one-sided as you possibly can.

Next up would be cards that are highly conditional on what your opponents are playing. Tribal decks are pretty popular, and even outside of those you see a lot of types like Human, Wizard, Elf, and Zombie just pop up constantly, so paying attention to the kind of critters your opponents have sitting on their side of the board can be pretty crucial. The only card I actively run in the deck I would put in this category is Peer Pressure, but there's tons of potential inclusions you should think of this way: Engineered Plague, Species Specialist, Riders of Gavony etc. etc. Basically, don't forget that your opponents creatures have types too, and this deck is able to abuse that almost as much as its own critters.

Lastly I want to go over the most nebulous and situational category, cards that you want to name specific types for, but not always the same one. These are some of the best cards in the deck bar none, stuff like Arcane Adaptation and Kindred Discovery, but knowing when to play them and what type to name can easily mean the difference between winning and losing a game. When it comes to these cards it's imperative that you consider not only what the card itself does but also, what cards are in your deck, what you have available at the moment, and what you're looking to get out of it in the long run.

To use my list as an example: when it comes to Kindred Discovery I want to be naming a type that I'm most likely to attack with and/or make a lot of, so naming Warrior, Knight, Dragon, or Rogue is a pretty safe bet. I could name Sliver or Spirit, my deck runs those too, but I'm not likely to want to turn those cards sideways because my Slivers can usually tap for mana instead, and my Spirits are too valuable to risk in combat a lot of the time, so naming a beefy type like Dragon, or something I can get a lot of tokens of like Warriors or Rogues is a much safer bet.

That being said, sometimes you don't have the option of picking optimally, sometimes you need to eke as much benefit from the card as immediately as you can, whether that's to try and dig for an answer with Discovery, or protecting your board from a wipe with Arcane Adaptation, don't get so hung up on the optimal use cases for these cards to the point that you're afraid to cast them until it's too late, naming Warrior with Discovery might be better 90% of the time, but if I need to draw cards and all I have are Spirits, then I'm going to name Spirit. Arcane Adaptation is the supreme example of this. This deck can use it to do game-winning combos very easily, but it doesn't need to do that to win. Sometimes plopping down Adaptation and naming Egg to abuse Atla Palani, Nest Tender or naming Bear so you can pump Morophon to lethal size or wipe the opponent's board can be just as game winning as using Adaptation to combo is.

Like I said at the top of this section though, this is all largely subjective. It's something you're going to have to consider for yourself based on your meta, what "choose" cards you include, and what creature types you're actively using in your deck. I recommend just looking over your final list, thinking about which types of lords you're running and how your cards interact with one another. Knowing what types to name and when for what cards is extremely important, but you can only really figure out the answer for yourself through actually playing the deck, I can only guide you so far on this.

Early Game: Starting hands and how to play them

So Ideally your starting hand should have a few things:
  • Ramp: the single best cards to get in our opening hand are easily Risen Reef, Gemhide Sliver (or its brother), Harabaz Druid, rocks, and situationally, Skyshroud Claim this lets us start amassing mana and fixing our colors, which as a five-color deck with a commander, is hands down the most important thing to do early on.
  • Lands: Pretty self-explanatory, you need lands to play stuff, but how many? What colors do you need the most? Well in terms of quantity I think 3-4 is pretty spot-on depending on the context of the rest of your hand, if you have a bunch of ramp you don't need as much, and if you're gonna get to drawing cards early and you can play the things that will do that with what you have, you don't need as many. In terms of colors Green is paramount since it lets us cast all of our ramp cards that aren't artifacts, and the other colors are only really important in the context of what's in your hand that you need to cast (i.e. don't keep an opener containing Drogskol Captain and Kindred Discovery with no Islands or ways to get them) but do try to get your colors online as fast as you can to avoid those awkward turns.
  • Card Draw: Once you've solved the mana problem, card draw is next on the list, that being said not all card draw is created equal, and early game you're primarly looking for cheap, low costed stuff that'll get the ball rolling: Risen Reef, Yuriko, the Tiger's Shadow, and Dragon's Hoard are great for this because they can come into play early and are relatively low maintenance for what they provide.
Obviously not every opening hand will have all of these things, but that's largely a player decision to make on a game-by-game basis, and if you don't copy my list 1:1 (which I highly recommend due to the huge number of potential inclusions this deck has) then these metrics change somewhat for you, this is what Goldfishing is good for, get a feeling for what your deck needs to get those gears turning, experiment and find the best balance that works for you.

So what did I mean up there when I said "card sequencing"? Well, let me give you a hypothetical opening hand to serve as an example:

Looks kinda weird right? Well this is actually a great opener if you play it right, if you play these cards in the wrong order you could end up slowing yourself down. I'm going to give you two different sequences up to turn 4 as examples:

Example 1:
  • Turn 1: Sliver Hive → tap Hive for to cast Changeling Outcast
  • Turn 2: Mutavault → tap Hive and Mutavault for to cast Manaweft Sliver
  • Turn 3: Wanderwine Hub (tapped) → Tap Sliver Hive to animate Mutavault → Swing with Outcast → Tap Manaweft+Mutavault for to Ninjutsu Yuriko
  • Turn 4: Tap Hub+Manaweft+Mutavault for to cast Reef → Tap Hive for to cast Outcast.
Example 2:
  • Turn 1: Wanderwine Hub (revealing Outcast) → Pass
  • Turn 2: Sliver Hive → tap Hive+Hub for to cast Manaweft Sliver
  • Turn 3: Mutavault → Tap Mutavault+Manaweft+Hub for to cast Reef → Tap Hive for to cast Outcast
  • Turn 4: Swing with Outcast → Tap Manaweft+Hub for to Ninjutsu in Yuriko → Main Phase 2 tap Sliver Hive for to recast Outcast.
In both examples we've managed to play every card in our opening hand by turn 4, and we've drawn some blood and extra cards to boot. The main difference is in Turns 1 and 3:
  • In Example 1 we dropped Outcast immediately thanks to Sliver Hive, Manaweft turns Outcast into a dork so we can tap him as early as Turn 2 to make mana, and has us going into Turn 3 with 4 mana available. However playing Outcast Turn 1 means that Wanderwine Hub has to come into play tapped now, and we had to filter mana through Mutavault in order to play Yuriko on Turn 3.
  • In Example 2 we did nothing on Turn 1 purely to get Wanderwine Hub into play untapped. We still get 4 mana on Turn 3 thanks to not being forced to play a tapland, and we get to play both Risen Reef and Outcast on that same turn, netting 2 triggers of Reef's ability a full turn earlier. Then using Ninjutsu on Yuriko Turn 4 means that not only do we get her trigger, but we get to recast Outcast and trigger Reef again.
So in Example 1 we managed to cast something every turn, but directly set ourselves back because of it, doing this we got one Yuriko trigger, and two Reef triggers. In Example 2 we basically skipped our first turn, but we had all the same cards in play by the same turn and we managed to get one Yuriko trigger and three Reef triggers out of the exact same cards.

Obviously this is something that applies to the whole game, not just your opening moves, and it applies to pretty much every deck, not just this one, BUT it's crucially important to think about when playing this deck because it has so many different moving pieces and synergies you have to constantly be aware of.

Think about the order you play your cards in all the time, but be doubly aware of it at the beginning of the game because it can mean the difference between rocketing ahead of the table or falling behind.

Mid-Game: Turning Shenanigans into Strategy

So you've gotten some ramp out, drawn a few cards, maybe you got lucky and stuck a turn 4 Morophon or something, so where do you go from here?

Well the goal of this deck is to take all of the disparate pieces you've gotten thus far and coalesce them into an engine that can propel you into the late game. You're gonna be taking a bunch of square pegs and sanding them down until they fit in those round holes (innuendo fully intended).

The idea is to look at what you've gotten so far, and see how you can start to squeeze as much advantage from them as possible, like blood from a stone. This generally comes in the form of either becoming extremely aggressive or defensive depending on what you have to work with:

If you've got cards like Yuriko, Najeela, or Ayula, you want to go on the offensive, so look to play things that complement that like Shared Animosity to deal big boy damage or Whelming Wave to get a clean hit in on an opponent. If you can get swinging with stuff like this early enough then by the time your opponents are able to stabilize against it it could very well be too late. This deck's ability to cheat mana costs and vomit tons of creatures into play in the blink of an eye means that aggro is actually a feasible wincon because you can go from 5 power worth of creatures on the board to 35 in a single turn and catch people off guard surprisingly easy.

If you don't have anything that encourages you to attack your opponents, or you're worried about a crack-back then your goal is to compound your card advantage engines together to try and draw into a combo as fast as you can. This is when the more defensive lords like Haakon, Drogskol Captain, and Knight Exemplar shine, because you'll be playing lots of creatures and you want to protect your board as much as you can while you dig for a combo. Try to draw as many cards as you can, getting something like Birthing Pod, The First Sliver, or Call to the Kindred to stick can rocket you way ahead while you do this.
There's a nice cross section here in that both of these strategies want you to do basically the same thing, play lots of creatures, but just apply them in different ways. This is why token producers can be so crucial in this deck, every token is simultaneously another body to pump with Shared Animosity or Mirror Entity, but it's also another chump blocker to keep you safe while you dig. Whether you're trying to combo off or beat someone to death your goal is the same, flood the board with stuff until something clicks and everyone dies (except you preferably).

I want to talk about Birthing Pod a bit here too since this is the point in the game where it's the most impactful. If your opponents are brain-damaged and let you sit on Birthing Pod for more than one turn it has the potential to set you up for a win easily by giving you exactly what you need, when you need it. The average CMC of this deck is 3.63 with the highest concentrations being at 2, 3, and 4 mana. You can Pod-chain in this deck from 1-7 (I've toyed with the idea of putting Gishath into the deck so I can Pod from 1 all the way to 10, but I'll get back to this later) but generally the goal of Pod in this deck isn't to just go continually up the chain, but rather to exchange things you don't need for things you do, and usually this is multiple 3 and 4 drops.

There's some crucially important creatures in this deck at 3 mana: Najeela, Mirror Entity, Yuriko, Risen Reef, and Haakon to name a few, 3 of which are combo pieces as well. Getting one or several of these into play can make a big difference in how the game goes for you. Unless I know I'm sitting down against a deck with substantial grave hate like an Anafenza deck or something I know is running Rest in Peace then almost always my first grab is Haakon, since he needs to be cheated into play anyways and he lets me recycle 2 and 3 CMC Changelings to Pod into multiple 3 and 4 drops.

The 4 mana spot is more utilitarian, but no less important. Podding a 3 drop can get you Atla Palani as a boardwipe deterrent, or just to start double-dipping on value with subsequent Pod activations. You can Pod a 3 drop into Changeling Berserker, then Pod Berserker into either Changeling Hero or Changeling Titan, which can be an easy way to assemble that combo. And most importantly, Podding a 3 drop will let you fetch Jodah, with Morophon out that's a one-way ticket to valuetown.

Lastly I wanted to mention the subtle synergy Pod has with Shapesharer. With Shapesharer you can turn any of your Changelings into a copy of something else, and whatever it copies the Changeling will then have that card's CMC, meaning you could potentially turn your Universal Automaton into a copy of an opponent's 5 drop, then Pod it into Silumgar or Unesh out of nowhere. This also lets you do something like turn an Amoeboid Changeling into a copy of your Bloodline Keeper so you can Pod for a 5 drop without actually losing your Bloodline Keeper. It's not something that comes up all the time, but it's definitely something to be aware of.

Late-Game: Combos, Winning Synergies, and the Art of Turning Things Sideways

Okay, so how do we actually win the game? Well, as this section's title might suggest, it's usually via combat damage, powerful synergies, or an infinite combo, so we'll go over them in that order:

Winning via combat damage: This comes in two flavors, commander damage or creature swarms. Morophon starts as a 6/6 which while not the beefiest thing around, it only takes one anthem effect to make him kill in 3 hits, and it's not terribly difficult to get him up to 11 power with things like Shared Animosity. Oftentimes if you've just cleared the board with Whelming Wave or Harsh Mercy you can kill two players at once by pointing Morophon at the one with the highest life total, and everything else at the one with the lowest life. The most frequent ways you'll win via combat is thanks to Shared Animosity or pumping a bunch of mana into Mirror Entity (or both). Winning via combat damage isn't exactly the goal of this deck, but since we frequently end up with 10+ creatures on the board by this point sometimes it just, happens, and it's always a good idea to check if you've got enough power on the board to knock someone out without having to assemble a combo.

Winning with powerful synergies: a.k.a. "non-infinite combos". This is usually the result of a single blowout turn in which two or three of your cards do so much damage they kill people outright. The most frequent causes of this are due to Reaper King or Dragon Tempest being in play when you put a ton of creatures out all at once, usually via Kindred Summons, The First Sliver, or Notorious Throng+Arcane Adaptation. Casting Peer Pressure against another tribal deck when you have even slightly more creatures than them can lead to a blowout too, just make sure you kill the person you stole all those creatures from last (and hope they're not salty and just scoop to deny you their board). I'll mention Liliana's Contract here too since it doesn't really fit in either of the other two categories, sometimes you just stick this card at the right time with 4 Changelings out and your opponent's can't answer it before your next turn, against finely-tuned decks it's rare, but it happens
Combos: I touched on most of these in the Card Analysis Section, but I'll compile them here for those that didn't want to read that monstrosity:
  • Changeling Hero+Changeling Berserker+Changeling Titan: Infinite ETB triggers of any creature type, just have each Changeling Champion another one as it comes in over and over and over. Blows up all of your opponents' permanents with Reaper King|sld. Lets you infinitely pump all of your other Changelings with Ayula and beat the crap out of all their creatures to clear the way for them. Straight up burns everyone to death with Dragon Tempest. Generates infinite mana if you have Manaweft Sliver or Gemhide Sliver (again, thanks to Changeling Berserker) in play which can: let you pump all your stuff infinitely with Mirror Entity, pull all of your other Changelings out of your deck and cast them with Sliver Overlord|sld, and if you somehow did this after the declare attackers step, get infinite combat steps with Najeela.
  • Haakon, Stromgald Scourge+Crib Swap+Morophon, the Boundless+Jodah, Archmage Eternal OR Unesh, Criosphinx Sovereign: Similarly to the above combo, this gives you infinite ETB triggers of any creature type, and as such, it becomes lethal with all of the same outlets as the Champion loop. Morophon+Unesh/Jodah lets us cast Crib Swap for free, and Haakon lets us cast it from our graveyard, meaning we can cast it as much as we want, so you target some useless dinky Changeling or mana dork like Universal Automaton or Harabaz Druid, exile it, get a Changeling token, then cast it again targeting the token to exile it and get another token, etc. etc. etc.
  • Haakon, Stromgald Scourge+Artificial Evolution+Notorious Throng: Infinite turns and a boatload of 1/1 Faerie Rogue tokens. You cast Evolution targeting Haakon and replace the word 'Knight' with 'Rogue', which then lets you cast Throng from your graveyard, so as long as you can connect for damage with a Rogue (hello there Changeling Outcast) and can make at least then you're good to go. If for some reason you can't kill everyone just with the tokens doing this gives you, then you can just take extra turns until you draw into another combo and kill them all that way instead.
  • Najeela, the Blade-Blossom+Mirror Entity+Manaweft Sliver+ 6 mana: There's lots of variations on how exactly to do this combo, but this is the most compact version. You just need these 3 creatures and a way to make that doesn't involve tapping these 3 to start it. You pump into Entity, making everything a Changeling, swing with Entity, Najeela, and Manaweft Sliver, Najeela makes 3 1/1 Warrior tokens, then you use the remaining to activate Najeela, untap those 6 creatures, then tap one of the 3 Changelings you just attacked with to pump into Mirror Entity again so the 3 Warrior tokens are now Changeling tokens too, then you tap the 3 tokens and the remaining 2 Changelings you attacked with to activate Najeela again, rinse and repeat until you've got 10k mana, spend 10k mana on Mirror Entity to make all of them huge and then swing for lethal with however many combat phases and extra tokens you need at that point.

Potential Inclusions and Notable Exclusions

You people have NO idea how many cards you could potentially run in this deck, how many variations and directions you can shift this deck in if you really wanted to. Being able to take advantage of every tribal card ever printed in Magic means there's literally hundreds of possible cards you could add, and that's not even mentioning general goodstuff you could probably squeeze in here too. I'm not going to go over every single card because that would be a herculean task in its own right, but I'm gonna talk about ones I think are definitely worth your consideration. I'm also going to talk about cards you might think I would run in this deck but don't for one reason or another. A lot of this section is going to be cards I've tested in this list at one point or another, and for those that are I'll briefly explain why they got cut and if I think they still could be potentially useful or not.

I'm largely doing this so that I can start the Changelog with a clean slate from here on out, but also to stop people from asking "But why don't you run 'XYZ'?" When chances are, I've either considered it, or already tried it and moved on.

For Your Consideration:
Other Lords
Show
Hide

Admiral Beckett Brass- Not bad by any means, but I found that often when this deck does enter the red zone it's either with one creature, or with fifteen creatures, the former won't trigger this card, and the latter is usually lethal. It also can whiff against spellslinger decks, giving you less targets worth stealing. If you want to gear this deck more towards theft effects and/or combat though, I think Beckett is worth testing out at least.

Gishath, Sun's Avatar- I'm probably going to test this card soon-ish, it being an 8 drop means that not only can we Pod Morophon into it, but we can Pod Gishath into The Ur Dragon, which is great. Unfortunately Gishath's triggered ability, while still good, is actually a bit weaker in this deck then it is in an actual Dinosaur tribal deck since there's more chance you'll whiff hitting other lords and our goo boys are soft and squishy compared to a bunch of dinos. Still a 7/6 with Trample, Vigilance, Haste and a relevant triggered ability is pretty good, especially when you cast it for or cheat it into play for free.

Azami, Lady of Scrolls- I want to use this card so bad. Azami can draw a stupid amount of cards really easily and quickly, but that is brutal in a 5 color deck, plus I have enough ways to draw cards in the list as is that I don't really think she's mandatory in any way. If you have a better mana base then I do and don't think it'll be a problem go ahead and run her if you want to draw all the cards.

Krenko, Mob Boss- I ended up cutting Krenko out of my list pretty quickly unfortunately. I found that he ate removal pretty quickly most of the time because people are scared of him, and a lot of the time I either got him too early, when he only makes a handful of tokens before biting it, or I got him too late, when I want to be making things go infinite, not just get 10 Goblins. That being said, he definitely can do some work, so if you've got a meta that frowns on infinite combos, Krenko can be a good substitute for one, or if you want to go more in on the token route for your version of the deck definitely abuse the crap out of him.

Priest of Titania/Elvish Archdruid- I just don't see why you would run these over Harabaz Druid, sure this deck loves its green mana, but it also needs to be able to make other colors too

Gilt-Leaf Archdruid- This card is hilarious, but it will make you a lot of enemies. If you can't use this right away then expect a boardwipe to likely occur before your next turn. It's a great card, but I found it drew too much negative hate towards the deck in general.

Crested Sunmare- Actually pretty damn good, but it's overcosted compared to Knight Exemplar, and the deck doesn't have enough consistent lifegain to have it generate Horse tokens. If you wanted to also run something like Regal Caracal then you might want to consider this too. Speaking of Cats...

Hungry Lynx- God it hurt to cut this from my deck, "Cats you control have protection from Rats" is exactly the kind of goofy text that inspired me to make this deck in the first place. Unfortunately I think Ayula is just better all-around, but you could definitely make a case for running this alongside her, there's definitely some cool stuff you can do with Hungry Lynx. And speaking of Rats...

Ogre Slumlord- Giving all of our Changelings deathtouch and replacing them with a Rat token when they die is pretty nice. I just don't think there's enough ways for the deck to abuse it as is, and it's hard to justify cuts for cards that are just "cool" at this point.

Marrow-Gnawer- See Krenko. Giving Rats fear is a nice touch, but I don't think it's worth the extra mana or money this costs over Krenko. That being said, if you end up running the last two cards I mentioned this becomes significantly better so it could be worth consideration.

Horde of Notions- Really fantastic card, another one that hurt to cut from my initial list, but it felt superfluous after I added Haakon to the deck. Horde's ability doesn't benefit from Morophon at all, and is a lot more mana-intensive than Haakon because of it. It is a significantly better creature as a whole though. Probably would work great as a potential commander for the deck over Morophon honestly.

Soulcatchers' Aerie- This can be a HUGE buff to your whole board, I just don't personally like it because you need your Changelings to die while it's out to reap the rewards later and even then your opponents can just blow it up before you get to do any damage, I would probably just run Coat of Arms instead of this, it is pretty cute though.

Herald's Horn- This card is really good, I just opted to run Urza's Incubator over it for the heftier discount. This deck doesn't have enough topdeck manipulation to make the second ability hit consistently enough, if you decided to put something like Scroll Rack in this deck I could see Horn being a lot more valuable though.

Descendants' Path- Similar to Herald's Horn, I feel this just gets outclassed by Call to the Kindred. Yes it's an aura so it's a lot more fragile, but it also digs 4 cards deeper every turn. Path is definitely something to consider if you're worried about spot removal and getting 2-for-1'd though.
BEGONE THOT
'Hurr durr, why you no run Rhystic Study?'
Show
Hide
This section is going to be comprised of two things: Stuff I think you shouldn't run, and stuff I would run, but don't due to budgetary reasons, both are rather small lists so I'm compounding them here

Conspiracy- You would think this card would be great in this deck, and you would be wrong. Unfortunately Conspiracy is a big ol nonbo with Changeling, as it overrides the ability entirely and makes everything the type you name. You can overwrite this with Mirror Entity, but it's just not worth it.

Xenograft- Just like Conspiracy, you would think this card is really good here, it's not actively bad like Conspiracy is, it's just "meh". This effect is most useful when it affects cards in other zones like your hand, deck, and graveyard like its strictly superior cousin Arcane Adaptation does. Unfortunately Xenograft only affects things on your board, and if I wanted to do that, I would just use Mirror Entity: It's cheaper, more easily tutorable, and has all the synergies naturally being a Changeling and a creature in general brings with it in this deck.

Mikaeus, the Unhallowed- This is nothing against Mikaeus in general, I'm just using him to represent all of these "types" of cards since there's a lot of them now thanks to Eldraine and Ikoria. Basically, anything that says "non-Human creature you control" is worthless because all of our Changelings are also Humans (which makes me so sad that's a thing Wizards is doing right now).

Jegantha, the Wellspring- I made a point of mentioning how important Faeburrow Elder and Bloom Tender are in a deck like this, Jegantha seems almost perfect until you actually start to think about it. It taps for , but you can't spend that mana on generic costs, meaning it doesn't help you cast Morophon whatsoever, and speaking of Goo Daddy, he takes the color requirements out of mana costs, meaning that frequently all you're left with IS the generic cost of the card. I would honestly overlook these things if I could run it as a Companion, but there's some extremely good cards in this deck with double pips that I would never cut just to do that.

Bloom Tender, Cavern of Souls, Patriarch's Bidding- I would absolutely run every single one of these in a heartbeat if I had them, but these are expensive cards, and often hard to find on top of that. These are upgrades I'm keeping my eye on in the long run, waiting to see if I can ever get a good deal on them or if the prices drop for one reason or another. If you've got them run them.

Cyclonic Rift, Scroll Rack, Rhystic Study, Demonic Tutor, Gaea's Cradle, Teferi's Protection, etc.- There's room for some goodstuff cards in this deck, and they can no doubt be useful, but I have 7 other decks I try to keep on par with each other, and I simply can't and don't want to spend the money to put these kinds of cards in every single one of them. If you want to put some more stuff like this in the deck then by all means do so, the pros certainly outweigh the cons for most of these.

Changelog

Changelog
Show
Hide
04/29/2020- Deck Posted
05/07/2020-
IN:
Rattlechains
Nameless Inversion
OUT:
Chameleon Colossus
Eerie Interlude
Last edited by DrKillenger 3 years ago, edited 12 times in total.

Tags:

materpillar
the caterpillar
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by materpillar » 4 years ago

Ooo... ooo... ooo! Another Changeling deck! I love me some changeling decks!

Quick note, the Changeling Oblivion ring loop doesn't need a haste outlet to generate infinite mana with Gemhide Sliver. Changeling Berserker innately has haste, so you just tap it for mana every time it pops into play during the loop.

A handful of recommendations.
My changeling deck runs The Ur-Dragon as a commander. It's interesting to see how running Morophon, the Boundless as the commander changes some of your card choices.
  • Rooftop Storm was terrible for me, since the vast vast majority of all my changelings only cost 1-2 mana. With Morophon, the Boundless in the command zone I can see it being a lot more respectable.
  • Similarly I found Sliver Overlord to be way too slow. If you're casting him for 0 mana with your commander he seems a lot better.
  • I cut Urza's Incubator since all my changelings are usually so cheap anyway.
  • You cut Sylvia Brightspear, but she's almost single handedly makes The Ur-Dragon 1-shot people, which is fantastic for me.

How has Harsh Mercy been? I'm always worried it won't kill what you really need dead. I personally lean towards the consistency of Realm-Cloaked Giant // Cast Off.
How's Atla Palani, Nest Tender been? I just can't seem to find a slot to test her in.

DrKillenger

materpillar wrote:
4 years ago
Quick note, the Changeling Oblivion ring loop doesn't need a haste outlet to generate infinite mana with Gemhide Sliver. Changeling Berserker innately has haste, so you just tap it for mana every time it pops into play during the loop.
Derp. I don't know why I didn't realize that, updated the primer to reflect this, Thanks! I've never actually used the loop to generate infinite mana before, I just knew it was something that was possible, so I suppose that's on me for just not actually thinking about how it's done and forgetting that one of them has haste.
  • Spit Flame This is honestly not a bad idea at all, NO idea what I would cut to make room for it, but I'll definitely add it to the list for testing. At the very least it's definitely going to end up in the list of potential inclusions for other people at the end of the primer.
  • Wirewood Symbiote This is DEFINITELY getting tested. I have a regular in my playgroup who abuses the hell out of it in Karametra Elfball so I have no idea how that slipped my mind.
  • Scion of Oona The Shroud is honestly a bit of a deal breaker for me, it doesn't come up super often, but often enough to be annoying. It pumping Throng tokens is nice, but I've found that every time I've won the game off of Throng it was through much stronger synergies than an anthem effect. The flash is really nice but in a similar vein I've been considering Rattlechains for a while and I think that directly synergizes with the deck a bit more.
  • Contested Cliffs I honestly don't know what land I would even cut to test this, a basic I guess? But I'm starting to run low on those in the list as it is, especially if I'm gonna cut some to test the Triome lands from Ikoria. That being said I'm not gonna be testing those for a while yet so I suppose testing Cliffs now by cutting a basic and then figuring out where it goes later isn't a bad idea. Ayula definitely proved that fighting is a solid form of removal in this deck so I have no doubt it'll be useful as long as it doesn't end up color-screwing me.
  • Wirewood Savage The cheaper CMC is definitely nice, but I'm not sure if it's worth losing Banner's anthem effect, especially since having an anthem on a noncreature permanent is really good with Mirror Entity since it allows you to activate his ability for without having to have a second one so the two anthem creatures don't die. Could be good in addition to Banner, but I'm not sure I would cut it for it.
  • Cryptic Gateway I've actually been sitting on this card for ages but just haven't tested it yet (ironically it's sitting literally right next to Gishath in a pile of cards that I got when I was initially building the deck, and I haven't tested that yet either). I have no doubt it's incredibly powerful, without the Minotaur restriction and not actually costing mana, plus it doing dumb things with Mirror Entity, which is basically the subtheme of the deck at this point. I don't know if I can bring myself to cut Didgeridoo for it though, even if it's strictly better, Didgeridoo is a pet card of mine now, it's just too hilarious.
  • Sachi, Daughter of Seshiro Yeah I think this is definitely a solid choice, but it just falls short of making the cut for me. If you compared Sachi to the mana Slivers then she makes twice as much, but 1/5th the colors and has double the CMC, and if I just wanted raw heaps of green mana I would probably opt for Priest of Titania or Elvish Archdruid due to them also costing less. Sure they don't make as much but idk, when it's still early-mid game I find I need the varying colors of mana a lot more and once you're at the point where you're making 14+ mana out of your creatures, the difference between 14 and 28 is not actually that big, especially if it's all one color, if that makes sense.
How has Harsh Mercy been? I'm always worried it won't kill what you really need dead. I personally lean towards the consistency of Realm-Cloaked Giant // Cast Off.
How's Atla Palani, Nest Tender been? I just can't seem to find a slot to test her in.
I like Harsh Mercy a lot, but it's definitely situational. It whiffs hard against other tribal decks so if that's something you deal with a lot I can definitely see cutting it in lieu of something more consistent (although frankly I would probably run Crux of Fate before Realm-Cloaked Giant // Cast Off). It definitely shouldn't be your only boardwipe either, if for whatever reason I ended up cutting Whelming Wave I would probably cut Harsh Mercy for something like Crux too. However in the games where I wasn't playing against another tribal deck Harsh Mercy has been fantastic, if there's a particular creature you really need off the field then this isn't the answer you're looking for anyways. It's got a situationally low floor (playing against multiple other tribal decks at once) but an extremely high ceiling (a one-sided boardwipe for is kind of absurd).

Atla has been great so far, she would be a lot better if I was still running Sling-Gang Lieutenant but she still more than pulls her weight. She can do really gross stuff if you have her out at the same time as Birthing Pod, and god help any opponent who plays Wrath of God while she's out. Her token production is really nice too, sure the fact that they have defender is a bit of a bummer, but more bodies for Kindred Summons and Arcane Adaptation/Mirror Entity shenanigans is never a bad thing.

tstorm823
Knowledge Pool
Answers: 2

Post by tstorm823 » 4 years ago

Have you considered running a single cheeky zubera?

More seriously, have you considered Mirrorweave? It's right there with Mirror Entity and Shapesharer in making things into other things.
Zedruu: "This deck is not only able to go crazy - it also needs to do so."

DrKillenger

tstorm823 wrote:
4 years ago
Have you considered running a single cheeky zubera?

More seriously, have you considered Mirrorweave? It's right there with Mirror Entity and Shapesharer in making things into other things.
Zubera actually wouldn't be a terrible idea if I could pin-down a good on-theme sac outlet for this deck because then I can combo with said outlet+Haakon, the best option is still probably Sling-Gang Lieutenant but idk, it felt underwhelming when I ran it.

Mirrorweave is an interesting thought, but I'm not sure how much value I would get out of it here since so many of my lord effects are on legendary creatures. And most Changelings are pretty subpar without lords pumping them, so the only value I would get from Weaving them would be to screw with my opponent's boards. Not sure if it works as-is, but I could definitely see a different variation of this deck being able to abuse the hell out of it.

DrKillenger

So I'm going to be playing a few games tonight with some friends of mine over Skype and I'm going to be testing out a few changes:

+Rattlechains
+Nameless Inversion

-Chameleon Colossus
-Eerie Interlude

Nameless Inversion was originally going to be Spit Flame but after thinking about it for a bit, I think Inversion is just a better fit in most cases. +3/-3 doesnt kill some things that 4 damage can, however not only is it cheaper to begin with but Inversion being a tribal spell means it also benefits from Morophon's cost reduction and can be cast straight out of the yard with Haakon. It removing creature types is yet another way the deck can hose other tribal decks, and can help guarantee we hit a problematic creature with Harsh Mercy if need be.

Rattlechains seems like a natural fit. It gives all of my Changelings flash, and actually gives me a good reason to want to name Spirit with Arcane Adaptation because of that. It also has fantastic synergy with Drogskol Captain, I can flash in Rattlechains to protect Captain from spot removal, and if Rattlechains is already in play I can flash in Captain to protect it in the same manner.

As for the cuts Eerie Interlude is extremely solid in this list, but sometimes just felt like overkill. When I'm behind there's no reason to cast it because my board is weak, and when I'm ahead it can generate great value but oftentimes the game was effectively already over by that point. I decided to cut a Changeling to squeeze in Inversion because I think my draw power can make up for it, and it's nothing against Colossus in general but it effectively came down to either it or Cairn Wanderer, and I think Wanderer is more frequently useful than Colossus is.

materpillar
the caterpillar

If you're going heavier into spirits Elder Pine of Jukai might be worth a slot. It's kind of like a worse Risen Reef but it basically guarantees you hit your land drops every turn. Then when it dies it can get back a changeling, Rattleclaw Mystic or Nameless Inversion. Plus you get extra points for your opponents always having to read what it does.

I'll be curious to know how your game goes!

DrKillenger

materpillar wrote:
4 years ago
If you're going heavier into spirits Elder Pine of Jukai might be worth a slot. It's kind of like a worse Risen Reef but it basically guarantees you hit your land drops every turn. Then when it dies it can get back a changeling, Rattleclaw Mystic or Nameless Inversion. Plus you get extra points for your opponents always having to read what it does.

I'll be curious to know how your game goes!
Hmm.... Elder Pine of Jukai is actually kind of interesting, I actually considered Promised Kannushi at one point early on since it could recur any Changeling all the way up to Morophon but judged it to be too cute, this has much more potential.

I'm not sure how heavy I want to lean into the Spirits thing, but this has also made me realize that He Who Hungers could be a solid sac outlet.

It's not perfect since it costs but I can also loop HWH with Graveshifter. Theoretically I can go infinite this way, although it requires like 6 other cards (namely Morophon, Jodah, Arcane Adaptation, Cloudshredder Sliver, Gemhide Sliver, and Dragon Tempest) but that's my kind of jank lol. Anyways, getting Thoughtseize on a sac outlet is spicy as is. I'll definitely be thinking about both of these cards now.

ANYWAYS. As far as last night went, I won 2 out of 4 games, which is pretty solid in a 4 player pod given my competition (Narset extra turns, Edgar vamps, Child of Alara reanimator, and Sharuum combo). The losses pretty predictably were to Narset and Sharuum, because Narset is a %$#% and a half to get rid of, and this deck can have a hard time disrupting combo so Sharuum got to run away with game 3 because no one else stopped her.

Rattlechains proved it's worth already, I can't believe I didn't realize how valuable granting flash to just under half of my creatures would be, it single handedly won me game 2 when the Child player wiped the board and I got to flash in Knight Exemplar thanks to Arcane Adaptation, leading into a huge Notorious Throng which was then lethal for everyone on the extra turn thanks to Mirror Entity. So Rattlechains is definitely staying in.

Nameless Inversion is a different story however. It was only really relevant in one of the games we played, and I kinda just wished it was Crib Swap, although that's a tad unfair. It certainly didn't help that I was playing against a creatureless deck and 3 heavy reanimation decks, plus I never got to play it with Haakon which is where I think it will shine the brightest, so it's staying in for now until I get a few more games in, but I was definitely a tad underwhelmed.

Hilarious anecdote though: Edgar thought it would be funny to start stealing all of my creatures with Olivia Voldaren in game 4, but thanks to a timely combination of Mirror Entity, Najeela, and Peer Pressure he got put in his place pretty hard. I didn't end up winning that game sadly since this prompted him to cast a Merciless Eviction on his next turn that bought Sharuum enough time to combo off, but I still walked away feeling satisfied.

DrKillenger

Updated the Changelog. I'll update the actual primer itself in accordance to those changes as well soon, but I'm too tired to deal with that right now lol.

I'm coming around a bit on Marrow-Gnawer|sld. I didn't really like Krenko in the deck surprisingly enough so I kind of just immediately wrote-off ratboy too, but Gnawer has a lot more going for it outside of it being a turn slower. As a baseline it gives all my Changelings evasion (albeit situationally). It's a Rogue, so I can attack with him to trigger Prowl on Notorious Throng if need be. It can be regenerated with Swarmyard. It's also a sac outlet, which is something I've wanted for this deck for a while now, granted it's not an infinite one, but if I do add Gnawer to the list I'm going to add something else too:

Faces of the Past seems like it could be extremely abusable in this deck. It makes targeted removal extremely complicated for my opponents: if they kill one of my lords I get to untap all of my Changelings, if they kill a Changeling I can tap down the entire board. Birthing Pod + Gemhide Sliver suddenly generates tons of mana, and it straight up goes infinite with Marrow-Gnawer and any two Changelings. It also makes Bloodline Keeper//Lord of Lineage go infinite with Reaper King and Arcane Adaptation or Artificial Evolution.

DrKillenger

Updated the primer again. I added a section on building a sideboard to the Card Choice Discussion section, and I added a bit on how to handle "As XYZ enters, choose a creature type" cards to the Strategy section. I also removed Eerie Interlude and Chameleon Colossus from the guide, though I haven't added in Rattlechains or Nameless Inversion yet since I have to think about how and where I'm going to include them thanks to the obnoxious way I decided to format that section of the primer.

I should be playing a few more games in the next couple of days, I think this time I'm going to proxy and test out Wirewood Symbiote, Marrow-Gnawer|sld, and Faces of the Past. I'm also going to remove some basics to proxy the three Triome lands that are part Forest and see how cumbersome they are, and if they're ultimately worth including.

I've decided that General Kudro of Drannith is probably just going to be a sideboard card for now, so between that and these changes I'm about to try out, I should be able to cut down on the "Cards to be tested" section at the end of the guide considerably.

If I end up liking Faces of the Past, I think I'm gonna consider Prime Speaker Vannifar as well. Birthing Pod is already insanely good in this deck, and it can potentially rip every creature out of my deck at once with Faces if I can get the right chains going, I could easily see this letting rip a whole combo out of my deck and into play in a single turn very easily.

Her being a creature is both a detriment and a benefit in this deck. She's more fragile and I can't use her the turn I play her without shenanigans involving Cloudshredder Sliver, but at the same time she benefits from my cost reductions, can be tutored up with Fauna Shaman, cheated into play with Call to the Kindred/Kindred Summons/Atla Palani, Nest Tender, and all manner of other shenanigans.

DrKillenger

Another post, another update.

I had a chance to test out Wirewood Symbiote, Marrow-Gnawer, and Faces of the Past as well as the three Triomes for a few games last night.
  • Wirewood Symbiote: was about as good as I expected it to be. Even without messing with creature types to make it go infinite, getting to untap Harabaz Druid or Faeburrow Elder by bouncing a Changeling that costs less mana than they tap to produce is a solid way to ramp into some of the decks more expensive and explosive spells. Not even mentioning the value of bouncing a Changeling to retrigger ETB effects, or to reset Morophon by recasting him. Bug boy here is definitely staying in.
  • Marrow-Gnawer: didn't really get a chance to shine, in the 4 games I played the only time I drew him the game was basically already over, but I really want a solid sac outlet for this deck, and Gnawer checks a lot of boxes for this deck so he's definitely staying in for now.
  • Faces of the Past: WOW I underestimated this card. I initially only considered it due to synergies with Gnawer, Birthing Pod, and potentially Vannifar further down the line, but this thing is kind of ridiculous. If you attack with a bunch of Changelings, your opponent is terrified to block in any way that kills a creature because they'll all untap. I got a lot of free potshots in because my opponents just didnt know how to deal with this card (at least not yet). It's also harder for my opponents to abuse than I initially considered since you get to choose whether things tap or untap because of it. And finally, it straight up won me game 2 because I was able to go pseudo-infinite with it, Reaper King|sld, Unesh, Criosphinx Sovereign, and Gemhide Sliver. Every Changeling I cast blew up a creature thanks to Reaper, which then untapped all my Changeling mana dorks, which then let me cast another one, etc etc, getting refueled with more creatures each time thanks to Unesh. This is yet another way to just steamroll value for this deck and I was very, very impressed by it.
Now as for the cuts:
  • Call to the Kindred: cutting this hurt me. I really love this card, and I've cheated big disgusting fatties into play with it super early more times than I can count. But when I was agonizing over what to cut out for these 3 new cards, it just kept sticking out to me as overly fragile and too cute for it's own good. Ripping fatties off the top of my deck into play for free is great, don't get me wrong, but this deck can often just cast them for little to no mana straight from hand and draw a ton of cards so it's not really unique in that regard. It being an Aura definitely hurts it a lot as well.
  • Urza's Incubator: This cut definitely hurt me too, not because I love it like Call to the Kindred, but because I spent $18 on it and now I'm cutting it. But the fact of the matter is that while it's really strong, it just didn't do enough for me. It's main use was discounting Morophon from to which is great, but playing Morophon super early without a board or engine to back him up is pretty underwhelming honestly. Morophon ideally shouldn't come down until mid game when I have a swole boardstate to benefit from his anthem, or something to capitalize on dumping my hand into play like Reaper King or Kindred Discovery, and if I need a discount on casting him mid game, Unesh, Rooftop Storm, and Jodah do a fine job of that already. And that's not even mentioning that it's discount applies to every player, making naming types like Dragon or Human with it exceedingly dangerous as well.
  • Nameless Inversion: it feels bad to cut this when I just added it to the deck, but the fact of the matter is that it just never felt impactful enough and I needed to cut something. As spot removal it falls short of Crib Swap in just about every way, and it being castable from the graveyard with Haakon and removing creature types is cute, but not enough so it gets the axe. It may come back in at some point in the future, but for now I think I can live without it.

After I get a few more games under my belt with these changes my next step is going to be testing Prime Speaker Vannifar and Gishath, Sun's Avatar, but I'm in no rush to do that quite yet. I'm also going to add Varina, Lich Queen to the section on other potential lords to include as I realized that she could be a viable budget alternative to The Ur-Dragon|sld, hell, I'm almost tempted to find room for her in the mainboard of my deck anyways since she could potentially bin Haakon for me, but I'm not really hurting for card draw in the deck as is currently.

materpillar
the caterpillar

I forgot, if you're looking for on theme sacrifice outlets Seaside Haven is a decent one. Glad to see Faces of the Past doing silly things for you.

DrKillenger

materpillar wrote:
4 years ago
I forgot, if you're looking for on theme sacrifice outlets Seaside Haven is a decent one. Glad to see Faces of the Past doing silly things for you.
If I ever upgrade the mana base to not be quite so janky then I'll consider it, but as it stands I'm wary about adding colorless utility lands to the deck. A lot of my base is stuff like Sliver Hive or Ally Encampment which already are effectively colorless utility lands for everything that isn't a Changeling. If I ever cut those lands from the deck in favor of more shocks or something then that whole cycle from Invasion block is going to be heavily considered (not just Haven, but Contested Cliffs, Unholy Grotto, and Riptide Laboratory are all incredibly good).

Faces of the Past was very impressive so far, I could see the deck warping around it to a certain degree for sure, and might even warrant another more generic sacrifice outlet being added to the deck outside of Gnawer (off the top of my head, I know that Ashnod's Altar would go infinite with Faces, Amoeboid Changeling, and Atla Palani, Nest Tender which is hilarious) but I'm not sure if I've reached a point yet where I really want it that badly, too many generic cards kind of spoils the whole flavor of this deck after all. I think I can just wait for now and see if WotC can print something better than Sling-Gang Lieutenant.

Edit: I forgot to mention it in my last post so I suppose I'll just add this here too. I'm considering cutting Harsh Mercy in favor of Endemic Plague, it's nothing against Mercy per se, it's still a great card and fun to make everyone panic over what types to pick for it, but Plague is just a more efficient and "complete" boardwipe. I'm not gonna test it any time soon probably, and I might cut something else to be able to play it alongside Harsh Mercy instead, but it's definitely floating around in the back of my mind for now.

Elywood

Post by Elywood » 4 years ago

Hey awesome! Nice to see another changeling tribal deck. I've been playing mine (helmed by Ur-Dragon) since Morophon got released. I've had some good experience with Lazav, the Multifarious. He can easily become a lord or a changeling in our gy and do all kinds of shenanigans. Really flexible card and also pretty on theme imo

DrKillenger

Elywood wrote:
4 years ago
Hey awesome! Nice to see another changeling tribal deck. I've been playing mine (helmed by Ur-Dragon) since Morophon got released. I've had some good experience with Lazav, the Multifarious. He can easily become a lord or a changeling in our gy and do all kinds of shenanigans. Really flexible card and also pretty on theme imo
I do really like the idea of being able to turn Lazav into a Changeling Outcast and then sneakily turning him into a Yuriko or Ur Dragon or something before damage is dealt. Haakon let's me pull my Changelings out of the bin but Lazav could be a good way to take advantage of various lords that eat removal or get wheeled or what have you, and it's on theme too like you said. It's a great card that I honestly hadn't even thought of for this deck, I have NO idea what I would cut for it as of right now, but it's definitely something I'm going to consider.

On a side note, I feel like an idiot. I just now realized that Wirewood Symbiote has the potential to replace one of the Changelings in the Champion loop. It requires either a Harabaz Druid or a Faeburrow Elder that can tap for 4-5 mana or having Morophon+Jodah in play. If you tap Druid for 5, then bounce a miscellaneous Changeling to untap the Druid and tap it again, you can cast say Changeling Hero, Champion the Symbiote, cast Changeling Titan, Champion the Hero, get back Symbiote when Hero leaves, use the Symbiote to bounce the Titan and untap the Druid for another 5 mana, Champion Symbiote when Hero returns, then recast Titan Championing the Hero again, etc etc etc.

It's a long workaround to just replace a simple Changeling Berserker but a bit more redundancy is never a bad thing and it gives the deck another way to just stumble into a combo. It's actually even more powerful with the Morophon+Jodah variant, because then you can use the untaps to either make infinite mana with a dork, or make infinite tokens with Marrow-Gnawer or Bloodline Keeper, on top of the normal ways the Champion loop wins the game like Dragon Tempest or Reaper King.

This tells me even more that I need to find room for Vannifar in here. Because this is yet another way outside of Faces of the Past that I can just completely abuse having Birthing Pod's effect on a creature in this deck. I can even sac a token to Vannifar to tutor for Wirewood Symbiote, then bounce a Changeling to untap her and sac something else if need be.

darrenhabib

Post by darrenhabib » 4 years ago

Very comprehensive breakdown of this archetype! I actually play a pretty similar deck but run some different "payoff" cards.

I think with Rooftop Storm and Morophon, the Boundless along with cost reduction that you could look for at least one bounce card so that you can get repeated use out of ETB triggers.
Hibernation Sliver can be used as both protection against removal and as a way to get further triggers.
This way you can get multiple triggers off Ayula, Queen Among Bears, Reaper King, Risen Reef, The First Sliver, Unesh, Criosphinx Sovereign, Dragon Tempest for as much 2 life per use and returning a cheap Changeling.

Have you considered Sea Gate Loremaster for card advantages? You mention not running Azami, Lady of Scrolls because of the triple blue, so Loremaster is a nice compromise on mana costs.

Another thing with your deck in particular is that you would benefit from at least one card that can reset your "As [REDACTED] enters the battlefield, choose a creature type" cards.
Release to the Wind is excellent as its instant speed which allows you to protect a card against removal, and then it costs you nothing to recast it, this time with another creature type potentially as the game has gone on. Unlike most "blink" cards only target creatures, this one can specifically get enchantments which are the main ones that name creature types.
You can think of this card as another Artificial Evolution.

I can't help but feel that Didgeridoo is purely still a meme for even this deck, as spending 3 on your Changelings isn't much of a cost reduction, if at all. Also Arcane Adaptation hardly gets mileage with Didgeridoo as the non Changelings are like 5-6 mana, so its not exactly amazing getting a cost reduction that's only like 2-3 mana difference. I understand if you include it for the memes, but its a hard sell that this card is actually a good draw.

It might be worth mentioning that if you can give Atla Palani, Nest Tender a stats bonus on her own, that you can use Mirror Entity to stack up multiple "Polymorphs".
So the example is say using Ayula, Queen Among Bears to put two +1/+1 counters on Atla Palani, Nest Tender after you've used Mirror Entity to make Atla a Bear as well.
Now what you can do is stack up as many Mirror Entity triggers for 0 as you want creatures in your deck to come into play and go to graveyard. Because they will be all "Eggs" the creature will come into play you'll get the ETB triggers of them, but they die straight away when a Mirror Entity trigger for 0 resolves and then Atla Palani, Nest Tender will trigger meaning you then flip for another creature.
The end goal here is that you stack your graveyard with creatures including Haakon, Stromgald Scourge.
Your best bet is to cast Graveshifter to get Jodah, Archmage Eternal and combine with Morophon, the Boundless naming Knights to just cast all your Changelings from the grave.

DrKillenger

Very insightful reply, thank you! It's always nice to get the perspective of other people who play different variations of this deck because of the sheer number of potential cards you can run and still make it work is so staggeringly huge.
darrenhabib wrote:
4 years ago
I think with Rooftop Storm and Morophon, the Boundless along with cost reduction that you could look for at least one bounce card so that you can get repeated use out of ETB triggers.
Hibernation Sliver can be used as both protection against removal and as a way to get further triggers.
This way you can get multiple triggers off Ayula, Queen Among Bears, Reaper King, Risen Reef, The First Sliver, Unesh, Criosphinx Sovereign, Dragon Tempest for as much 2 life per use and returning a cheap Changeling.
I didn't initially consider these kinds of effects, although my newest recent addition Wirewood Symbiote kind of fulfills this role. Sure it's only once a turn, but there are plenty of ways around that by getting it to bounce itself like Amoeboid Changeling, Mirror Entity, or Arcane Adaptation. That being said, this is the second time Hibernation Sliver has been recommended to me so perhaps I should consider it more seriously.
Have you considered Sea Gate Loremaster for card advantages? You mention not running Azami, Lady of Scrolls because of the triple blue, so Loremaster is a nice compromise on mana costs.
I did! In fact Loremaster was in my "first draft" of the deck. It's a really solid card that initially added for the exact reason you suggest. However I found it was often a removal magnet, and considerably slower than Azami, so it got cut in favor of.... god I dont even remember at this point, that was like 8 months ago now lol. I think that it's a great card all things considered, just that Kindred Discovery, Guardian Project, and Vanquishers Banner draw me just as much (albeit not all at once) for similar mana while being less fragile to boot.
Another thing with your deck in particular is that you would benefit from at least one card that can reset your "As [REDACTED] enters the battlefield, choose a creature type" cards.
Release to the Wind is excellent as its instant speed which allows you to protect a card against removal, and then it costs you nothing to recast it, this time with another creature type potentially as the game has gone on. Unlike most "blink" cards only target creatures, this one can specifically get enchantments which are the main ones that name creature types.
You can think of this card as another Artificial Evolution.
You know, for the longest time I was actually running Brago, King Eternal in this deck for that very purpose? In fact I considered trying to add him back in now that I've added Rattlechains to the deck, but I ultimately still don't think it's worth it. Resetting cards like Kindred Discovery or Arcane Adaptation is really convenient of course, but I think that as long as you consider your options and make the right choice the first time around it shouldn't be necessary, freeing up room in this already packed list for other things. Definitely something to consider for other variants of this archetype, I'm just not sure I want it myself right now.
I can't help but feel that Didgeridoo is purely still a meme for even this deck, as spending 3 on your Changelings isn't much of a cost reduction, if at all. Also Arcane Adaptation hardly gets mileage with Didgeridoo as the non Changelings are like 5-6 mana, so its not exactly amazing getting a cost reduction that's only like 2-3 mana difference. I understand if you include it for the memes, but its a hard sell that this card is actually a good draw.
I mean, by and large you hit the nail on the head. Didgeridoo has become less and less useful the more streamlined and efficient the deck has gotten. That being said, it's not entirely useless, it's ability gets Changelings into play through permission decks since they aren't getting cast, this also get them in through stax and chaos effects like Rule of Law or Possibility Storm. I used to value the fact that it can put them into play at instant speed a lot more, but now that Rattlechains is a thing it's lost that advantage as well.

It should probably just be a sideboard card against control decks at best at this point, but I have a hard time cutting it because it and Reaper King are basically the cards that single-handedly convinced me to build this deck in the first place.
It might be worth mentioning that if you can give Atla Palani, Nest Tender a stats bonus on her own, that you can use Mirror Entity to stack up multiple "Polymorphs".
So the example is say using Ayula, Queen Among Bears to put two +1/+1 counters on Atla Palani, Nest Tender after you've used Mirror Entity to make Atla a Bear as well.
Now what you can do is stack up as many Mirror Entity triggers for 0 as you want creatures in your deck to come into play and go to graveyard. Because they will be all "Eggs" the creature will come into play you'll get the ETB triggers of them, but they die straight away when a Mirror Entity trigger for 0 resolves and then Atla Palani, Nest Tender will trigger meaning you then flip for another creature.
The end goal here is that you stack your graveyard with creatures including Haakon, Stromgald Scourge.
Your best bet is to cast Graveshifter to get Jodah, Archmage Eternal and combine with Morophon, the Boundless naming Knights to just cast all your Changelings from the grave.
This is actually pretty interesting, and something I never really considered. I knew you could activate Entity for to get a bunch of Atla triggers all at once but I never thought about stacking them. That being said, if you ever hit any combination of 2 lords that have an anthem on them this will whiff the next Entity activation and just make everything a 2/2 instead, but that's still a ton of potential value.

It's also worth noting that Shapesharer makes doing this pretty easy as I can just turn any Changeling I put counters on with Ayula into Atla and then activate Mirror Entity to start the chain.

Thanks for all your input, its given me a good bit to chew on between now and the next time I get to play the deck!

darrenhabib

DrKillenger wrote:
4 years ago
This is actually pretty interesting, and something I never really considered. I knew you could activate Entity for to get a bunch of Atla triggers all at once but I never thought about stacking them. That being said, if you ever hit any combination of 2 lords that have an anthem on them this will whiff the next Entity activation and just make everything a 2/2 instead, but that's still a ton of potential value.
If you can get Mirror Entity with some +1/+1 counters as well (Ayula), then you can just do the 0 in a controlled manner.
Each Egg trigger will still happen one at a time, so even if multiple creatures go to the graveyard, you'll still get one creature coming into play at a time, and before the next Egg trigger resolves, you just activate Mirror Entity again, and this will mean there is no chance for 2 lords to come into play.

But I mean there are only 2 lords in Drogskol Captain and Knight Exemplar, Bloodline Keeper // Lord of Lineage you specifically need to activate yourself, so you'd be pretty unlucky to flip both at the same time unless your board was very wide when you go to do this.

Also in the case that Ayula, Queen Among Bears has +1/+1 counters then you are going to get ETB triggers for Changelings as they are Bears.
So you can stack +1/+1 counters on creatures you want to actually survive and then you can kill (fight) other creatures later on if wanting to remove them even through lord effects.
Let's say you flip 3 creatures, Drogskol Captain, Knight Exemplar, Chameleon Colossus, even in this order.
Drogskol and Exemplar are not Bears at the time they come into play because Entity trigger is still on the stack.
Once Chameleon Colossus comes into play you can have it fight an opponents creature. Now as its a 4/4 it might survive the fight.
But once the Mirror Entity 0 resolves then it should die and you'll get another Atla trigger.
Once another creature comes into play, now Drogskol and Exemplar are in fact Bears as well. so another Changeling coming into play means that you can have one of the lords fight an opponents creature giving you a chance to kill the lord.
Dragon Tempest can be used in the same way to kill a lord if stopping your gooey-train.

Actually if you use Shields of Velis Vel with Atla and Entity in play then you can combo in this manner as well, so you might want to look at main decking this.

Something to consider is playing Nylea, Keen-Eyed over Urza's Incubator and Beast Whisperer over Guardian Project.
Urza's Incubator gives you 2 colorless less, but is more narrow on only hitting Changelings and one type you choose.
The advantages of Nylea, Keen-Eyed is that it sticks around for the entire game, where as Urza's Incubator tends to get blown up at some stage. Plus Nylea, Keen-Eyed can be used as a mana sink to get more action.
The reason to play Beast Whisperer and Nylea, Keen-Eyed is that they are creatures so you can specifically use Fauna Shaman, Graveshifter to get them, and then they are creatures for doing additional bonuses, say when you have Arcane Adaptation and use them with the interactions you have in the deck. i.e. searched with Sliver Overlord, cast from graveyard with Haakon, Stromgald Scourge, etc.
You'd miss out on the Urza's Incubator infinite with Haakon, Stromgald Scourge+Crib Swap+Morophon, the Boundless, but I mean this is a lot of cards anyway, and you'd still exile your creatures biggest threats for 2 which is always going to be good enough anyway.
Guardian Project can potentially give you more triggers because of Didgeridoo, Call to the Kindred, Atla Palani, Nest Tender, The Ur-Dragon, but you'll get the draw even through counterspells with Beast Whisperer and the more you can have creatures instead of other types the better in general for the reasons I've explained.

materpillar
the caterpillar

DrKillenger wrote:
4 years ago
darrenhabib wrote:
4 years ago
I mean, by and large you hit the nail on the head. Didgeridoo has become less and less useful the more streamlined and efficient the deck has gotten. That being said, it's not entirely useless, it's ability gets Changelings into play through permission decks since they aren't getting cast, this also get them in through stax and chaos effects like Rule of Law or Possibility Storm. I used to value the fact that it can put them into play at instant speed a lot more, but now that Rattlechains is a thing it's lost that advantage as well.

It should probably just be a sideboard card against control decks at best at this point, but I have a hard time cutting it because it and Reaper King are basically the cards that single-handedly convinced me to build this deck in the first place.
I disagree with you that Didgeridoo is only a meme card. I think it is incredibly strong (at least in my build) and in my build it makes over half my changelings cost more mana not less.

In my experience this deck's main weaknesses are overcommitting to the board and being limited to mostly sorcery speed interaction (outside of Crib Swap). Didgeridoo helps shore up those weaknesses greatly. Giving all of your changelings flash allows you massively improved tactical flexibility in a huge host of areas. At the barest minimum it allows your changelings to be uncounterable, pseudo-haste creatures and lets you more effectively dodge Wrath of God and the like.

It also gives the deck more ability to interact with combos (using ETB removal creatures like Reaper King) which tend to be a massive issue for the deck. A specific example I remember was that it gave me the ability to disrupt the Animar, Soul of Elements + Ancestral Statue combo with my onboard Tuktuk Scrapper.

It allows you to protect key creatures from removal with the Changeling Hero cycle.

All of our builds are slightly different though so your mileage may vary. I know darrenhabib doesn't run the Changeling Hero cycle, which dramatically cuts down on Didgeridoo's power for him. DrKillenger, Rattlechains works better with Haakon, Stromgald Scourge, Rooftop Storm, and your various creature tutors. I just found that I never wanted to hold up mana to cast Rattlechains and it frequently died to a random wrath. I found Didgeridoo to be generally ignored by my opponents while it stuck around and got me a lot of value.

DrKillenger

darrenhabib wrote:
4 years ago
But I mean there are only 2 lords in Drogskol Captain and Knight Exemplar, Bloodline Keeper // Lord of Lineage you specifically need to activate yourself, so you'd be pretty unlucky to flip both at the same time unless your board was very wide when you go to do this.
I mean, you also have to take Vanquisher's Banner and Morophon himself into account, but I see what you're saying. I definitely like the idea of doing this, and it's something I never even really considered before. I was just pointing out that with how my deck is constructed it's not always guaranteed to be a game-winning combo every time.
Actually if you use Shields of Velis Vel with Atla and Entity in play then you can combo in this manner as well, so you might want to look at main decking this.
I think I'm missing something here, what does Shields do in this scenario? The only thing it does that Entity doesn't already is give +0/+1 to everything on my board, which seems counterproductive to trying to kill stuff to trigger Atla Palani.
Something to consider is playing Nylea, Keen-Eyed over Urza's Incubator and Beast Whisperer over Guardian Project.
I actually just cut Incubator from my deck to make room for Wirewood Symbiote anyways. I actually don't think too many cost reducers are all that valuable to this deck. I'm already running Unesh which also gives free Fact or Fictions on top of the reduction and Rooftop Storm, which just straight up makes them cost .

Incubator didnt even work with that Crib Swap combo anyways since it specifies creature spells, the ones that actually enable that combo are Unesh or Morophon+Jodah.

Beast Whisperer is definitely worth consideration, but I hardly think it's better than Guardian Project. Tutorability and further ability to interface with the deck is a good thing, sure, but there are downsides to it too. Creatures are naturally the most fragile permanent type in the game, and while this deck can make it hard to remove my Changelings, the same cannot always be said about the other creatures in the deck, opening up what could potentially be my only source of draw in the early-mid game to Swords to Plowshares or getting incidentally hit by a wrath could be a big, big problem. Being a cast trigger and not an ETB trigger is notable like you said as well, so it won't draw me cards off of Atla, Summons, Didgeridoo, Pod, or Ur Dragon.

All that aside, Beast Whisperer is a very solid card for a deck like this, and I may test it further down the line, but I'm perfectly happy with Guardian Project as is, and I've got plenty of other cards to test before I get to him like Gishath and Vannifar.
materpillar wrote:
4 years ago
I disagree with you that Didgeridoo is only a meme card. I think it is incredibly strong (at least in my build) and in my build it makes over half my changelings cost more mana not less.

In my experience this deck's main weaknesses are overcommitting to the board and being limited to mostly sorcery speed interaction (outside of Crib Swap). Didgeridoo helps shore up those weaknesses greatly. Giving all of your changelings flash allows you massively improved tactical flexibility in a huge host of areas. At the barest minimum it allows your changelings to be uncounterable, pseudo-haste creatures and lets you more effectively dodge Wrath of God and the like.

It also gives the deck more ability to interact with combos (using ETB removal creatures like Reaper King) which tend to be a massive issue for the deck. A specific example I remember was that it gave me the ability to disrupt the Animar, Soul of Elements + Ancestral Statue combo with my onboard Tuktuk Scrapper.

It allows you to protect key creatures from removal with the Changeling Hero cycle.

All of our builds are slightly different though so your mileage may vary. I know darrenhabib doesn't run the Changeling Hero cycle, which dramatically cuts down on Didgeridoo's power for him. DrKillenger, Rattlechains works better with Haakon, Stromgald Scourge, Rooftop Storm, and your various creature tutors. I just found that I never wanted to hold up mana to cast Rattlechains and it frequently died to a random wrath. I found Didgeridoo to be generally ignored by my opponents while it stuck around and got me a lot of value.
I've always liked playing Didgeridoo in this deck, for a lot of the reasons you mentioned here, and while it's definitely lost a lot of it's niche since I added Rattlechains and it feels a lot less impressive as a result, I don't think I would go so far as to call it a meme card either.

It's definitely hilarious and dumb and silly, but it's proven too useful over time to be written off as just a meme.

But I think you're completely right when you say that all of our lists are very different, and get different mileage out of the same cards as a result, I think that's something very important to take into consideration when trying to evaluate any singular card for a deck.

darrenhabib

DrKillenger wrote:
4 years ago
I think I'm missing something here, what does Shields do in this scenario? The only thing it does that Entity doesn't already is give +0/+1 to everything on my board, which seems counterproductive to trying to kill stuff to trigger Atla Palani.
That's fair, you'd need to maybe do it in response to a creature taking enough damage during combat say to get this to work or cast another creature after you've Shields of Velis Vel.

DrKillenger

Okay so this is a thing now I guess.

Two 1/1's for every Changeling cast is kinda dumb all on it's own, but especially so with Arcane Adaptation or Mirror Entity out. Late game that activated ability is a win condition as well, and even more abuseable with thanks to my new toys Wirewood Symbiote and Faces of the Past

This along with the recent addition of Marrow-Gnawer to the deck might make me reconsider Hungry Lynx.

I did not expect to care about M21, but now there's at least one card in it for me.

materpillar
the caterpillar

DrKillenger wrote:
4 years ago

Okay so this is a thing now I guess.

Two 1/1's for every Changeling cast is kinda dumb all on it's own, but especially so with Arcane Adaptation or Mirror Entity out. Late game that activated ability is a win condition as well, and even more abuseable with thanks to my new toys Wirewood Symbiote and Faces of the Past

This along with the recent addition of Marrow-Gnawer to the deck might make me reconsider Hungry Lynx.

I did not expect to care about M21, but now there's at least one card in it for me.

I really want to find a slot for this guy. I don't know if making a bunch of 1/1s will be worth it though? It's a cast trigger so it won't do anything with the Changeling Hero loop unfortunately. Another strike against Didgeridoo also. :(

DrKillenger

materpillar wrote:
4 years ago

I really want to find a slot for this guy. I don't know if making a bunch of 1/1s will be worth it though? It's a cast trigger so it won't do anything with the Changeling Hero loop unfortunately. Another strike against Didgeridoo also. :(
Such a shame that they missed the meme by not switching those creature types haha.

The way I look at it is that the activated ability is pretty much worth it in and of itself without even taking the token generation into account thanks to Mirror Entity and Arcane Adaptation turning it into a wincon. A card I've always had on the backburner for this list was Ishkanah, Grafwidow and this is almost strictly superior to that, giving the option to use it as spot removal if we've only got a handful of "Dogs" in play as well is great.

It being a cast trigger and not an ETB is definitely a shame, but ehh, it is what it is.

In my experience tokens are pretty useful in this list regardless of their initial type because they let you swell your board without over-committing to it. This giving 2 per cast means that with something like Arcane Adaptation+Reaper King|sld you get 3 vindicate triggers for every single Changeling you play, it's also more bodies to amp up the effects of Kindred Summons and Shared Animosity regardless of type changing shenanigans. With The First Sliver it means hitting even 3 Changelings from Cascade chains nets you +9 creatures on the board.

Sure there isn't any synergy to be had with Cats and Dogs outside of it's own effect (yet), but that's what Mirror Entity is for.

materpillar
the caterpillar

On an unrelated note. Here's my current decklist. I'm curious to know what you think of it. It diverges in a few interesting ways. Couple of deckbuilding notes. I try very hard to limit every tribe to a maximum of 3 cards unless they're ramp spells. I don't play any card in my deck unless it is a changeling, requires me to say a creature type, is a land, or is Chromatic Lantern (because my mana base reaaaaally needs it).

Changeling Awesomeness

Commander (1)

Angel (Land)

Beast (1 + land)

Cat (1)

Demon (1)

Dinosaur (1)

Druid (1)

Elemental (1 + Land)

Faerie (Land)

Goblin (1 + land)

Human... most frequently (Land)

Insect/Rat/Spider/Squirrel (Land)

Knight (1 + land)

Merfolk (2 + land)

Minotaur (1)

Scarecrow (1)

Snake/Shaman (1)

Spirit (1)

Treefolk (Land)

Vampire (1)

Zombies (Land)

Boring Manabase Greed Reduction (1)

Boring Lands (14), (35 total lands)

Approximate Total Cost:

normal sorting
Show
Hide
The Ur-Dragon: Changeling Tribal

Commander

Instant

Approximate Total Cost:

The cards that are currently in my consideration bucket are The Scarab God, Najeela, the Blade-Blossom, Kogla, the Titan Ape, Molten Echoes, Dire Tactics and General Kudro of Drannith. I haven't had time to test any of them with the pandemic rolling around.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”