Commander format and the Brothers Yamazaki

Ingvvar
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Ingvvar » 3 years ago

So, I've been looking at reformatting an old white samurai deck of mine from standard to commander and I'm not sure if I would be able to use Brothers Yamazaki in it if I went with a white/red combo. I have both unique versions of the Brothers cards, so they could be seen as "unique"...

Given all that, could one get away with having the pair of them in a commander deck, or is that a rule the legend-breakers can't get around?

Ingvvar

I assume the answer is no or rule 0. Looking for feedback on this before I look like an idiot... if I can find anyone to play against lol

brainface

Post by brainface » 3 years ago

They are legally one card, as they have the same name, so it's a definite rule 0 area

Alternatively red has a few temporary clone effects, though you're in deep Johnny territory if you're trying to pull them out on a Yamazaki in the 99.

materpillar
the caterpillar

Post by materpillar » 3 years ago

This is purely a talk about it before the game situation.

Personally, playing mono-R with Brothers Yamazaki + Brothers Yamazaki|23548 as partners would be a-ok with me.

Playing Brothers Yamazaki + Brothers Yamazaki|23548 as a RW would get more of an eyebrow raise. If you follow that up with "Samurai Tribal" I'd be fine with that since I know how many of those are W. Less enfranchised players might not be though.

If you're playing them in the 99, I'd just go with clone effects instead of the hassle of trying to explain that you have two of them.

Sinis

Post by Sinis » 3 years ago

It's rule 0 territory, but, I think only sticklers would say "no, it's not within the rules." As generals go, they're very innocuous.

Ingvvar

Thanks for the feedback folks. The Brothers Yamazaki isn't essential to the build of the deck, planning on having Akiri, Fearless Voyager as the commander, and one of the few non samurai cards in the deck. Sense Golden-Tail can make up for the normies loo

Ingvvar

also... how T.F. are you posting card links in your message? lol

materpillar
the caterpillar

Post by materpillar » 3 years ago

Ingvvar wrote:
3 years ago
also... how T.F. are you posting card links in your message? lol
[card]Brothers Yamazaki[/card ]

Remove the space

cryogen
GΘΔ†
Pronoun: he / him

Post by cryogen » 3 years ago

Alternatively, you can do a double bracket like on other sites. So, [[Doomsday]] becomes Doomsday.
Sheldon wrote:You're the reason we can't have nice things.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”