Did Doctor Who flop?

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by RxPhantom » 5 months ago

The Doctor Who decks came out...last month? Last week? Yesterday? Time is meaningless. Product fatigue is permanent. What was I saying?

Oh yeah. Doctor Who. I have not seen much enthusiasm about these decks or commanders. My LGS had them all in stock this past Sunday. I have yet to play against a deck running any of them. Articles on EDHrec, including two yesterday, have received zero comments.

So I guess my questions are:

1. Have you built with any of them?
2. Have you played against any of them?
3. If yes to 1 or 2, thoughts?

Also, if you want to discuss anything else related to this product, let's hear it.
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 2/18/22 (Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty)

BaronCappuccino
Answers: 1
Pronoun: he / him

Post by BaronCappuccino » 5 months ago

I included Reverse the Polarity in Azami, but I saw nothing that even gave me a passing thought of a new deck. Considering Ixalan tempted me to switch commanders to Ojer Pakpatiq, Deepest Epoch // Temple of Cyclical Time, it's not like the thought of scrapping and restarting is out of the question.

Mookie
Answers: 48

Post by Mookie » 5 months ago

There are a few people in my meta that got them, and I played against them once or twice. I don't have a firm opinion of them yet - The Tenth Doctor // Rose Tyler seemed strong but soft to disruption. Suspend is a fairly high-variance mechanic.

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 5 months ago

I went all in on them for the first time in a long time. I'm currently modifying them, but I plan to post my The Fourth Doctor/Sarah Jane Smith deck in the following week or so. I'm quite proud of how it turned out.

Generally I think the cards are cool (cooler than 40k or Fallout imo) and the decks play well out of the box. Can't ask for much more from a precon.
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

NZB2323

Post by NZB2323 » 5 months ago

Not only have I not played with or against one of the decks, I haven't played with or against any of the cards.

I've never watched Dr. Who, they don't have a fantasy feel, and unless I'm missing something none of them are great cards.
Current Decks
rg Morophon, the infinite Kavu Eowyn, human tribal Legolas, voltron control Wb Tymna/Ravos cleric tribal Neheb, Chicago Bulls tribal Ug Edric pauper

Retired Decks
Edgar Markov Kaalia, angel board wipes Ghen, prison Captain Sisay Ub Nymris, draw go Sarulf, voltron control Niv-Mizzet, combo Winota Sidisi, Zombie Tribal

duducrash
Still Learning

Post by duducrash » 5 months ago

Anedoctal, but my LGS said they were surprised by how much interest there was, and they even had a slight problem because under preordered.

I played a bunch this weekend, there were some Doctor Who decks yes

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

Post by ISBPathfinder » 5 months ago

I have seen a bunch of doctor decks running about and honestly, I don't know what is in this set for legends outside of the doctors and companions so I have no clue if I have seen one of the other legends. I have played with a number of the singles especially Everybody Lives! and a few of the non legend clones but not much else for play myself. I still haven't really gone through to look at all of the cards in it because well, I just don't care that much anymore what exists outside of when I deckbuild and look for specific things or stumble over something that exists that I didn't look at before.
[EDH] Vadrok List (Suicide Chads) | Evelyn List (Vamp Mill) | Sanwell List | Danitha List | Indominus List | Ratadrabik List

Serenade
UnderKing

Post by Serenade » 5 months ago

I made a Nyssa of Traken/The Ninth Doctor deck (focused on her; he is just there for red) and had no success with it.

Then I made Xavier Sal, Infested Captain sagas and used a few WHO sagas. I thought the sorcery speed heavily limited him, so while he was fun, I got nowhere with the deck. I want to try the W legends that benefit sagas in a different deck.

The Flux has been terrific in Pia Nalaar, Consul of Revival.

My one buddy jammed some BR cards and cybermen into a Mishra deck with good results.

So some pieces here and there. I feel less great building with IRL humans on cards.
Mirri, Cat Warrior counts as a Cat Warrior.

Moxnix

Post by Moxnix » 5 months ago

I would say from a sales perspective it was a home run lots of collectors buying the product and not even opening it sold out for almost a month everywhere near me. Lots of people using the parecons at my store so I would say it was great. One of the first non proxy products I've bought in awhile. As to how good they are meh no precon is that good and got some sweet new cards like everybody lives.

yeti1069

Post by yeti1069 » 5 months ago

I've only watched one episode of Dr. Who, didn't enjoy it, so I haven't returned.

I followed most of the spoilers for the set, and noted a handful of cards I was interested in...but haven't so much as added them to my saved list anywhere, cannot now recall which they were, and am not sure I'll take the time to comb back through the set to find and purchase them. Part of me had considered changing my morph deck from Sultai (Kadena) to Grixis (Missy), but it would be too big a shift in approach (and I have 2 other Grixis decks already).

I've run into a small number of Dr. Who commander decks on Spelltable, and a slightly higher number of cards from the set in non-Doctor decks. Most have played somewhere between solid and strong, but it's been kind of irritating having to read them, since they're all rather wordy, and my lack of interest in the set means that I haven't committed any to memory. Normally I don't mind (modern) wordiness on cards, but if I'm not adding them to my Magic knowledge-base, they become something of a chore.

Ruiner

Post by Ruiner » 5 months ago

A friend of mine has been running a Davros, Dalek Creator deck and its generally a pretty solid threat. He's a big Dr Who fan.

I've bought a number of singles, despite not being terribly familiar with the show. There are definitely some neat cards in the set.

Sinis

Post by Sinis » 5 months ago

Haven't built anything with it. Haven't played against anyone with it. Of the two Whovians I know, one of them doesn't even like the idea of Dr. Who x Magic in the first place (he says there's a conflict between the idea that the universe is vast, and that there are several universes; Dr. Who's ideas just kind of don't fit into Magic's narrative of planes, and plane-bound individuals).

KitsuLeif

Post by KitsuLeif » 5 months ago

I have built The Sixth Doctor + Romana II as a Historic deck. Missy as a Morph/Cybermen deck. The Ninth Doctor + Clara Oswald (White) as an Alternative Wincon via upkeep triggers deck. The War Doctor + Clara Oswald (Black) as an Exile/Chaos deck. And now Me, the Immortal as a Counters Matters deck.
So yeah. Five decks built from four precons (+ additional cards, obviously). I'm very happy with how the decks helped me in progressing my 32-deck challenge.

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

This thread really oscillated from complete apathy to rampant enthusiasm. I may give these cards a shot, but UB is still a tough pill for me to swallow. The mental hurdle may be too much.

@KitsuLeif's The Sixth Doctor/Romana II deck seems really fun though.
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 2/18/22 (Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty)

5colorsrainbow

Post by 5colorsrainbow » 5 months ago

Gonna wait until after this upcoming Ravnica set but i like The Third Doctor with Romana II and/or Sarah Jane Smith for a clue deck.
“There are no weak Jews. I am descended from those who wrestle angels and kill giants. We were chosen by God. You were chosen by a pathetic little man who can't seem to grow a full mustache"

MAGUSZANIN

Post by MAGUSZANIN » 5 months ago

I've been looking for a good Cast From Exile build that wasn't Prosper or Faldorn for a while now, and I liked some of the 13th Doctor Episodes.... Even if I disliked a few others. So I built 13/Yas and it's been decent.

I've seen a few other people do minor upgrades from the cards but only one person built a commander so far (Davros, which is admittedly excellent).

Cyber Conversion is great, the sheer number of Sagas added a lot of desperately needed depth to that section of that card pool, and Quantum Misalignment is great for any deck that wanted Irenicus' Vile Duplication 2: Twice as Hard.

The Historic Deck added some cool cards for that batch theme that hang together much better than they have any right to since that is 3 card types in a trenchcoat.

Edit: I think the big thing throwing off people's perception is the release pace. Wilds of Eldraine released on Sept8th, Doctor Who released on Oct13th, LOTR Scene boxes on Nov3rd, and Ixalan on Nov17th. Throw in some Secret Lairs either with or without mechanically unique cards? That is basically something new every week, and if you only play a couple times a quarter at the LGS or something? That means that you have 300+ cards to read and engage with roughly every month, of which you maybe pick up a half a dozen upgrades and build one or two new decks. If you pick, say, an Eldraine Commander you opened at Prerelease and one of the Ixalan Precons..... No room left for Doctor Who.

So yeah, I also haven't seen any Eldraine Commanders yet either. LOTR was barely really getting into my personal playgroup the last time we got together a month ago, and I expect that if I see anyone playing anything over the holidays it might be from any of the 5 major sets after that sprinkled around the group.

3drinks
Kaalia's Personal Liaison

Post by 3drinks » 5 months ago

I don't care, I have no interest in the IP so this isn't for me. I've seen some players with them but I don't understand any of the lore or what they represent. I can read the text on the card though. If people buy 'em cool, okay, that's great. If they don't, then cool, okay, that's great.

But can we go back to Magic IP, and how we're gonna help The Good Admiral take back the city and rebuild her fleet now?

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WRKellan, the Fae-Blooded // Birthright Boon (local secret santa gift)
RTorbran, Thane of Red Fell (Red Deck Wins)
WBRAlesha, Who Smiles at Death (Slivers)
WBRKaalia HQ

5colorsrainbow

3drinks wrote:
5 months ago
But can we go back to Magic IP, and how we're gonna help The Good Admiral take back the city and rebuild her fleet now?
Do you mean the good governor or have you not read the new ixalan stories?
“There are no weak Jews. I am descended from those who wrestle angels and kill giants. We were chosen by God. You were chosen by a pathetic little man who can't seem to grow a full mustache"

Hermes_

Post by Hermes_ » 5 months ago

5colorsrainbow wrote:
5 months ago
3drinks wrote:
5 months ago
There's lore?
The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon-"The secret of this format is in not breaking it. "

3drinks
Kaalia's Personal Liaison

Post by 3drinks » 5 months ago

5colorsrainbow wrote:
5 months ago
3drinks wrote:
5 months ago
Huh? There's 17.3 releases every two weeks, I can't keep up on more than what decks are coming out. Especially if it's only on the %$#% that is the mothership, can't find anything on that site these days beyond ads for Arena.

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WRKellan, the Fae-Blooded // Birthright Boon (local secret santa gift)
RTorbran, Thane of Red Fell (Red Deck Wins)
WBRAlesha, Who Smiles at Death (Slivers)
WBRKaalia HQ

5colorsrainbow

Yea thats what I thought.

krakked

Post by krakked » 5 months ago

I've never liked universes beyond stuff, since it's just a predatory way to get new players and make more money. But I wouldent really say that any universes beyond stuff has failed, since it always achieves its goal to make as much money as humanly possible. I played with the dalek precon thing a couple times when someone gave it to me, and I thought it was interesting, but overall it was fine. Someone I know made a deck that just created a million clue tokens to pump up his doctor (which is his commander), and used it to win.

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

I just haven't seen them make much of an impact locally, nor have they appeared to have generated much excitement online.

Dunharrow

Post by Dunharrow » 4 months ago

I think we will see a decline in product launches. Not related to Dr. Who though. Global inflation has a two-pronged impact on MtG - it costs more to make, and people have less money to spend.
I think we should see fewer commander decks per year. We don't need 4 new decks with each new set, especially with all the Universes Beyond decks.

All that to say, I would not be surprised if a few of the Q4 products underperformed.
The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”