SCD: Mercadia’s Downfall

Chromaticus
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Chromaticus » 6 months ago

Mercadia's Downfall — I've never seen this card cast in a game before, but it just seems absolutely wild as a finisher. My opponents are not typically on mono color or budget brews - so I'm thinking an average 8 turn game, it's getting at LEAST +4 power, and often much more. Doesn't take a big board to kill from there.

How about you guys —- have you seen it in the wild? How do you think it compares to other finishers like Hoof, Triumph of the Hordes, or Akroma's Will? I think in red it has to be the most pump you can get.

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy
Answers: 1
Pronoun: he / him

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 6 months ago

Downfall is definitely a nice buff, especially in a high powered meta. Personally I'm a Tears of Rage man myself, just because I can control how many creatures I can attack with, but I have no input on opposing land bases. I also love risking it for the biscuit, but that's secondary.
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

Post by ISBPathfinder » 6 months ago

Its encouraging you to go wide because its a mass anthem buff but if you are actually going wide then I prefer Tears of Rage or Shared Animosity if you are rocking a single tribe. I guess it might have some world where you use it as a single creature buff but when things like Embercleave exist I would be very hard to be sold on it for single buff either.

In short, I think there are better buffs to be had going single target or going wide. There will be situations where you find that 5c deck with no basics but I would think you find at least a few mono colored decks for every one of those 5c decks you fight. I don't like leaving my buff effect up to my opponent's deck construction as to how it functions.
[EDH] Vadrok List (Suicide Chads) | Evelyn List (Vamp Mill) | Sanwell List | Danitha List | Indominus List | Ratadrabik List

Treamayne
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Treamayne » 6 months ago

I use it in my Jeskai Monk Prowess deck, but not as a finisher (usually) since that prefers Haze of Rage for multi-prowess with buyback. I find it more useful to swing/trample through early damage to the Simic Ramp deck and enable some combat damage triggers.
It's not uncommon, in my expereince, to get 1-3 creatures with +3/+0 early on, often as an unblocked small attack that becomes not-so-small at instant speed after declare blockers.
V/R

Treamayne

Ruiner

Post by Ruiner » 6 months ago

One fun thing about this is that it doesn't need to be used on your own turn. This can disrupt expectations in combat if you won't take the brunt of the attack.

I only have this in one deck at the moment, but it is a solid card and no one expects it because it is not a commonly used/known card.

Toshi
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

Post by Toshi » 6 months ago

I'm the sole reason my playgroup knows of Mercadia's Downfall's existence at all.

It has been serving me very well over the years. I think mono-decks are not as common as pointed out and even those tend to load quite some nonbasics. I rarely had it buff below +4/+0.

It has been best in Gallia of the Endless Dance where i would be able to draw into it during combat then blast it off for surprising amounts of damage.
That deck is using another old weird card in Rites of Initiation to great effect.

aliciaofthevast
Phyrexian Flesh Agent
Pronoun: she / her

Post by aliciaofthevast » 6 months ago

Edhrec is constantly talking about this card and I think the juice is totally worth her squeeze! No sacrifice needed.

3drinks
Kaalia's Personal Liaison

Post by 3drinks » 6 months ago

I'm playing this in Pirates, actually. It's kinda neat how all the Mercadia stuff ties in nicely with Pirates from a thematical point of view.
Steel Sabotage'ng Orbs of Mellowness since 2011.

I collect Kaalia of the Vast normal-size cards. Do you have any extra taking up space in your binder? Help me grow my collection! :)

WBRKaalia HQ WBR

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”