SCD - Nahiri's Resolve

RowanKeltizar
Firemind
Pronoun: he / him

Post by RowanKeltizar » 10 months ago

So Nahiri's Resolve is a card I don't see anyone talking about. Am I dumb or this card much better than people think?

It's a Conjurer's Closet that affects any number of your creatures AND/OR artifacts for the same CMC. I know Boros colors arent traditional blink colors but there have got to be a few decks that would want this effect.

I should point out that the permanents don't re-enter until your next upkeep, which means they are safe from interaction and board wipes. Sure, they can't block or be used, but if they are tapped, i.e. mana rocks or beatsticks they aren't doing anything outside of your turn anyway.

Oh, and it's an anthem and a haste enabler??

Personally, I'm putting this in my Kaalia, Zenith Seeker deck which has a pretty strong blink subtheme.

What other WRX commanders want this?
WRBKaalia, Zenith Seeker - Certified Air Raid Material
WBElenda, the Dusk Rose - Drain and Gain
WRAurelia, the Warleader - Tokens/Equipment
URNiv-Mizzet, Parun - Controlled Burn primer
BRGHenzie, "Toolbox" Torre - Creature Feature
BRGSoul of Windgrace - Lands Matter
RGWGishath, Sun's Avatar - I'M YOUR DADDY
GWUBAtraxa, Praetors' Voice - Artifact Stax Beatdown
Budget Starter Decks
UBSygg, River Cutthroat
WU Shorikai, Genesis Engine

Treamayne
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Treamayne » 10 months ago

I could see a deck that likes Threaten effects making use of Nahiri's Resolve since you can "borrow," attack, exile and it still won't return until your next upkeep. You can even leverage it politically by offering to borrow and blink another player's ETB creature - "paying" them a trigger for letting you swing with their critter.
V/R

Treamayne

Mookie
Answers: 48

Post by Mookie » 10 months ago

I suspect the main reason why Nahiri's Resolve hasn't had much discussion despite its high power level is that there isn't an obvious Boros blink theme / commander. Boros does have powerful support for ETB value strategies - Imperial Recruiter, Recruiter of the Guard, every Flickerwisp blink / Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker clone effect... but it's not obvious which commanders would want that strategy, unlike every UW flicker deck immediately going in Brago, King Eternal / Roon of the Hidden Realm / Ephara, God of the Polis. There are a few interesting Lorehold commanders that are more value-oriented, but Hofri Ghostforge and Osgir, the Reconstructor are both token-based.

...and if you're not taking advantage of the blink ability, Nahiri's Resolve is just an overcosted Fervor.

Anyway, I'll suggest Éowyn, Shieldmaiden, Breya, Etherium Shaper, Winota, Joiner of Forces, and Kroxa and Kunoros as potential commanders that may want it. At the very least, I'll recommend keeping it on your radar, since I assume we'll get a strong RW blink commander eventually.

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

Post by RxPhantom » 10 months ago

I love this card! I have it in General Ferrous Rokiric, where it's an obvious inclusion. I really needed a haste enabler for the deck, and I also got an anthem, board protection, and some occasionally useful ETB abuse! I've been thrilled with it so far. I'm also a sucker for the etched foil treatment and got one for $1.
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 5/26/24 (Modern Horizons III)

Hermes_

Post by Hermes_ » 10 months ago

I put this in my RW voltron deck to blink SFM and a couple of others but after awhile I just took it out
The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon-"The secret of this format is in not breaking it. "

NZB2323

Post by NZB2323 » 10 months ago

Mookie wrote:
10 months ago
I suspect the main reason why Nahiri's Resolve hasn't had much discussion despite its high power level is that there isn't an obvious Boros blink theme / commander. Boros does have powerful support for ETB value strategies - Imperial Recruiter, Recruiter of the Guard, every Flickerwisp blink / Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker clone effect... but it's not obvious which commanders would want that strategy, unlike every UW flicker deck immediately going in Brago, King Eternal / Roon of the Hidden Realm / Ephara, God of the Polis. There are a few interesting Lorehold commanders that are more value-oriented, but Hofri Ghostforge and Osgir, the Reconstructor are both token-based.

...and if you're not taking advantage of the blink ability, Nahiri's Resolve is just an overcosted Fervor.

Anyway, I'll suggest Éowyn, Shieldmaiden, Breya, Etherium Shaper, Winota, Joiner of Forces, and Kroxa and Kunoros as potential commanders that may want it. At the very least, I'll recommend keeping it on your radar, since I assume we'll get a strong RW blink commander eventually.
Éowyn, Shieldmaiden wouldn't trigger twice off that ability, and I think most human tribal cards don't have ETB effects. I also think it's a tough include
for Winota, Joiner of Forces considering it isn't a creature.
Current Decks
rg Morophon, the infinite Kavu Eowyn, human tribal Legolas, voltron control Wb Tymna/Ravos cleric tribal Neheb, Chicago Bulls tribal Ug Edric pauper

Retired Decks
Edgar Markov Kaalia, angel board wipes Ghen, prison Captain Sisay Ub Nymris, draw go Sarulf, voltron control Niv-Mizzet, combo Winota Sidisi, Zombie Tribal

yeti1069

Post by yeti1069 » 10 months ago

NZB2323 wrote:
10 months ago
Mookie wrote:
10 months ago

Éowyn, Shieldmaiden wouldn't trigger twice off that ability, and I think most human tribal cards don't have ETB effects. I also think it's a tough include
First, it would trigger Eowyn's ability as long as you had any other human exiled with her, since they will have come into play on your turn.
Second, in my deck I have:

NZB2323

Post by NZB2323 » 10 months ago

yeti1069 wrote:
10 months ago
NZB2323 wrote:
10 months ago
Mookie wrote:
10 months ago

First, it would trigger Eowyn's ability as long as you had any other human exiled with her, since they will have come into play on your turn.
Second, in my deck I have:
I said it wouldn't make her ability trigger twice; it only triggers once a turn, and her ability would trigger next turn anyway as long as you have another human enter.

You're running more ETB creatures than I am; maybe it'll work out for you. Let me know how it goes.

If you're not running Purphoros, God of the Forge or Kindred discovery, I'd say those card are certainly better than Nahiri's Resolve.

I actually think that Éowyn, Fearless Knight is the right commander for this card with a blink theme.
Last edited by NZB2323 10 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
Current Decks
rg Morophon, the infinite Kavu Eowyn, human tribal Legolas, voltron control Wb Tymna/Ravos cleric tribal Neheb, Chicago Bulls tribal Ug Edric pauper

Retired Decks
Edgar Markov Kaalia, angel board wipes Ghen, prison Captain Sisay Ub Nymris, draw go Sarulf, voltron control Niv-Mizzet, combo Winota Sidisi, Zombie Tribal

darrenhabib

Post by darrenhabib » 10 months ago

I run Nahiri's Resolve in my Niv-Mizzet Reborn as both the haste and the exile are great with the theme of the deck.

I have a Plargg, Dean of Chaos "protection deck" that specifically looks to not lose via a number of ways.
I already have Grand Abolisher and Myrel, Shield of Argive in the deck and combined with Nahiri's Resolve makes if very difficult to deal with your creatures and artifacts.
Now for the ultimate if you can make the Nahiri's Resolve itself an artifact or creature then you can exile it as well.
The only thing is that if you are hiding your permanents so that you can avoid board wipes, then you'll often have no defenses against creature attacks.
I use Glacial Chasm with Nesting Grounds as a way to only lose 2 life each turn cycle.

Of note if you are using say Mycosynth Lattice to exile all your permanents then triggers that last the turn cycle are going to be what you want.
Kardur, Doomscourge is the perfect example as you can get the ETB each turn.
Teyo, Geometric Tactician can help mitigate damage in this setup.
If you have a way to bounce The One Ring each turn to recast.

PrimevalCommander

Post by PrimevalCommander » 10 months ago

Nahiri's Resolve does have some unique effects. One thing Conjurer's Closet does is leave the targeted creature untapped for blocking and get the ETB trigger faster. But only a single creature instead of however many you want, without pump and haste, so yea Resolve looks pretty good. I'll have to get one to try in my Rocco, Cabaretti Caterer Wild Pair blink deck. It would love to mass-blink a bunch of 1/1's and 2/2's that don't do much anyway. Hornet Queen, Karmic Guide and Gigantomancer say hello.

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 10 months ago

It's pretty solid if you aren't worried about needing blockers. That's the real big issue there. Hiding them until your next upkeep is problematic. Can be good for hiding some stuff from sweepers I guess.

Definitely has some applicability, but man, two big problems:
* No blockers
* doesn't give them haste when they come back if it gets removed, so you can get punked pretty bad on that.

It's a really cool card but more niche than Conjurer's Closet because of the first part really - blocking has become really important in casual EDH (and CEDH in a lot of ways actually, heh)

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

Post by ISBPathfinder » 10 months ago

I guess my biggest qualm is that there aren't really many boros commanders I would be playing ETB magic in so we are talking a 3+ color deck probably and I just am not that motivated to play 3+ color magic ETB anymore. Don't get me wrong, I think the deck would perform just fine I just find ETB magic to be some of the most boring stuff after having played YEARS of it early on as it was the most viable way to play commander back when tuck and clones were everywhere.
[EDH] Vadrok List (Suicide Chads) | Evelyn List (Vamp Mill) | Sanwell List | Danitha List | Indominus List | Ratadrabik List

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 10 months ago

ISBPathfinder wrote:
10 months ago
I guess my biggest qualm is that there aren't really many boros commanders I would be playing ETB magic in so we are talking a 3+ color deck probably and I just am not that motivated to play 3+ color magic ETB anymore. Don't get me wrong, I think the deck would perform just fine I just find ETB magic to be some of the most boring stuff after having played YEARS of it early on as it was the most viable way to play commander back when tuck and clones were everywhere.
The best use in boros for this card that jumps out at me is Winota, Joiner of Forces -- where it gives Winota and other dudes haste, and also blinks them. So if you're playing an ETB heavy build that makes a bunch of tokens on ETBs or whatever, you could set up a pretty triumpuhant turn that also parks Winota under an exile shield.

Obviously it's not like Winota needs it, but it might be fun :P

yeti1069

Post by yeti1069 » 10 months ago

Since you get to choose which creatures are getting exiled, you can protect your important/setup ETB stuff and leave behind blockers you don't care about, or tokens. That's my plan in Eowyn, I think: leave all the tokens back as blockers, and blink the rest to avoid board wipes/trigger ETBs.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”