Gollum Question

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin
Pronoun: he / him

Post by ISBPathfinder » 1 year ago

I don't know if we know or need to wait for set rulings but I was curious on Gollum, Patient Plotter if he can sacrifice himself or in general use his sacrifice ability while in play. If he were to sacrifice himself would he come back to hand assuming he even can do that?

Accepted Answer

by void_nothing » 1 year ago
No. This activated ability can only be activated while Gollum, Patient Plotter is in your graveyard, because its effect moves the card itself from the graveyard to another zone (CR 113.6m).
Go to full post
[EDH] Vadrok List (Suicide Chads) | Evelyn List (Vamp Mill) | Sanwell List | Danitha List | Indominus List | Ratadrabik List

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 126

Post by void_nothing » 1 year ago

No. This activated ability can only be activated while Gollum, Patient Plotter is in your graveyard, because its effect moves the card itself from the graveyard to another zone (CR 113.6m).
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

Post by ISBPathfinder » 1 year ago

Thanks, I felt like there were some similar effects that existed that specified that they had to be in the graveyard but honestly I can't figure out any off the top of my head to compare verbiage. It feels like a bit of shortcutting to imply that instead of put it on the card but its fine. Thanks for the ruling.
[EDH] Vadrok List (Suicide Chads) | Evelyn List (Vamp Mill) | Sanwell List | Danitha List | Indominus List | Ratadrabik List

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 126

Post by void_nothing » 1 year ago

Well, it's not really a shortcut - there's an entire rule about it.
An ability whose cost or effect specifies that it moves the object it's on out of a particular zone functions only in that zone, unless its trigger condition or a previous part of its cost or effect specifies that the object is put into that zone or, if the object is an Aura, that the object it enchants leaves the battlefield. The same is true if the effect of that ability creates a delayed triggered ability whose effect moves the object out of a particular zone.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Rulings”