[mtgnexus] Random Card of the Day - North Star

Gamazson
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Gamazson » 2 years ago

I ran it in my Slimefoot, the Stowaway build. Most of the time it sat in my hand, but the games where I could resolve and use it tended to get out of hand quickly. It is a card I am sad I didn't get to play with years ago when it was in it's prime.

3drinks
Kaalia's Personal Liaison

Post by 3drinks » 2 years ago

Friday, November 19th, 2021; Workhorse

Steel Sabotage'ng Orbs of Mellowness since 2011.

I collect Kaalia of the Vast normal-size cards. Do you have any extra taking up space in your binder? Help me grow my collection! :)

WBRKaalia HQ WBR

BeneTleilax

Post by BeneTleilax » 2 years ago

Weird card, I think it's pretty outmoded by Crystalline Crawler now. Counters are pretty finnicky to move, so turning them into mana is less good than it seems. Unless you're Ghave, I guess, in which case you dick around with this for 10 minutes, produce a billionty counters, and somehow win from mill.

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 2 years ago

Oh hey it goes infinite with Eldrazi Displacer ? :P Unusual, that doesn't happen much.

I used to have this in my Atraxa "proliferating mana" deck and it was pretty fun there although the deck had serious bookkeeping tedium.

Making colorless mana is not quite as popular as it once was, but this card was never all that efficient.

hyalopterouslemur

Post by hyalopterouslemur » 2 years ago

Crystalline Crawler #2 unless you really need colorless mana for some reason.

I have good memories of this in Ghave and to a lesser extent Marath, but it is a bit outdone. And since, due to c, any deck can produce any color, even the excuse that you're getting four instead of at most three no longer applies.

Also, the OG was Rasputin Dreamweaver.
Thanks to Feyd_Ruin for the avatar!

Igzex

Post by Igzex » 2 years ago

I'm trying to evaluate this card but I'm just mesmerized by the horse's Super Famicom abs...

Mookie
Answers: 48
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Mookie » 2 years ago

As others have noted, Workhorse is generally outclassed by Crystalline Crawler. It does have some implications if you're doing recursion shenanigans with No Way Out, but otherwise.... six mana is incredibly clunky. I will note it works with all the usual Ghave, Guru of Spores / Doubling Season tech, so there are definitely uses for it, but....

hyalopterouslemur

The main uses I can see for it where you can't use Crawler are Reveillark and Alesha, Who Smiles at Death. Beyond that, Mikaeus, the Unhallowed, though that's just where it's easier to get infinite mana since you have five counters instead of one to pay your sac outlet. (Or just use either with Mike and Ashnod's Altar like a normal person.)

And as I said before, colorless-specific cases.

3drinks

Saturday, November 20th, 2021; Sandals of Abdallah

Is it good? No. But funny sure.

I collect Kaalia of the Vast normal-size cards. Do you have any extra taking up space in your binder? Help me grow my collection! :)

WBRKaalia HQ WBR

Jemolk
Compulsive Jank Builder

Post by Jemolk » 2 years ago

That is definitely funny. I love old obscure nonsense so much, so it's a pity that this card is so narrow in who it's good against, and also absurdly expensive monetarily. It can be so much fun to wreck people with cards they didn't know existed.
39 Commander decks and counting. I'm sure this is fine, and not at all a problem.

Serenade
UnderKing

Post by Serenade » 2 years ago

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/67b47e39-f ... 4cc0a809ce

When you try to use it on two creatures
Mirri, Cat Warrior counts as a Cat Warrior.

Igzex

Post by Igzex » 2 years ago

That last sentence...God I love old card wording so much,

Mookie

Huh, interesting. Not a card I recall seeing before. Completely ignoring mana cost / price / efficiency, I could see some niche cases for granting creatures islandwalk - it's a pretty strong form of evasion, assuming your opponents have islands... or you have some way to give them islands, such as Spreading Seas. I'm running a few such ways in my Thada Adel, Acquisitor deck, and while I wouldn't have any need to give Thada islandwalk, I could see using it as a way to grant my other beaters evasion... not that I'm running any non-evasive beaters, but still.

However, when we start accounting for efficiency, I think Sandals of Abdallah are largely outclassed by equipment like Whispersilk Cloak and Trailblazer's Boots. Throw in the monetary price and its vulnerability to creature removal (making it function more like an aura), and it looks a lot worse.

I think the only legitimate use case I can think of it is to allow a creature to attack with Stormtide Leviathan, and even that is a bit sketchy, since granting flying works just as well. Otherwise... an Arabian Nights theme deck? Footwear tribal? Yeah, I have no idea.

hyalopterouslemur

Those are sandals?

Islandwalk is okay. You'll usually find at least one opponent with islands, and there are a couple ways to "give" them islands with Spreading Seas or Phantasmal Terrain or Quicksilver Fountain. Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth and Yavimaya, Cradle of Growth may be the best land changers for doing so passively, but blue has plenty of options.

But TBH, Traveler's Cloak and Trailblazer's Boots do what this does. But better.

materpillar
the caterpillar

Post by materpillar » 2 years ago

Wow it's rare that I've just never seen a magic card before and I haven't seen this one before.

This is definitely a bad card you play to flex on people. This is a faaaaaantastic flex card though. My god I want to see someone use this and Spreading Seas to one-shot someone with Rafiq of the Many.

I have lost to Flying Carpet before so this isn't completely unplayable. 10/10 flex card, if I owned one I'd play it in Lazav, the Multifarious to kill someone with Phage the Untouchable.

Sinis

Post by Sinis » 2 years ago

3drinks wrote:
2 years ago
Pile on for Footwear Tribal with this, Lightning Greaves, Swiftfoot Boots, Trailblazer's Boots, Winged Boots, and Fleetfeather Sandals.

Mookie

Sinis wrote:
2 years ago
3drinks wrote:
2 years ago
Pile on for Footwear Tribal with this, Lightning Greaves, Swiftfoot Boots, Trailblazer's Boots, Winged Boots, and Fleetfeather Sandals.
Crystal Slipper too!

It's always somewhat interesting to look at derived themes for random collections of cards that don't actually have a mechanical bond - for example, I would say that 'Orb / Sphere' tribal tends to be staxy due to Winter Orb and Sphere of Resistance. On the other hand, 'Path' tribal tends to have ramp / land themes - see Path to Exile, Find the Path, and Ranger's Path.

The primary mechanical link for traditional footwear appears to be haste (which makes sense - good shoes make you go faster). Flying (and other conditional evasion, like landwalk) is the other mechanical link, although that is generally reserved for winged footwear (often showing up on Theros).

3drinks

Sunday, November 21st, 2021; Clutch of the Undercity

Lotta good juicy targets at the four slot...

WBRKaalia HQ WBR

Sinis

Mookie wrote:
2 years ago
Sinis wrote:
2 years ago
3drinks wrote:
2 years ago
Crystal Slipper too!

It's always somewhat interesting to look at derived themes for random collections of cards that don't actually have a mechanical bond - for example, I would say that 'Orb / Sphere' tribal tends to be staxy due to Winter Orb and Sphere of Resistance. On the other hand, 'Path' tribal tends to have ramp / land themes - see Path to Exile, Find the Path, and Ranger's Path.

The primary mechanical link for traditional footwear appears to be haste (which makes sense - good shoes make you go faster). Flying (and other conditional evasion, like landwalk) is the other mechanical link, although that is generally reserved for winged footwear (often showing up on Theros).
I agree! I think that once the reference becomes more orthogonal to the card, the more varied the stuff is going to be. Footwear tribal is one thing, but once you're doing art references (like the infamous Lounging-in-Chair tribal), it really is a grab bag.

Melua

Post by Melua » 2 years ago

3drinks wrote:
2 years ago
Sunday, November 21st, 2021; Clutch of the Undercity

Lotta good juicy targets at the four slot...
I wish Transmute cards were more than tutors, but the cards as a whole are underpowered by today's standards Without Transmute I doubt they would see play.

Serenade
UnderKing

Back in the day I used Dimir House Guard instead.

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy
Answers: 1

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 2 years ago

Clutch is solid, like most transmute cards. Powerful colors and a high degree of flexibility make this card quite good imo, provided you can pay the premium for the options.
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 2 years ago

Every transmute card has to compare itself to the gold standard Muddle the Mixture where the card is actually pretty useful on its own and finds a really important cmc slot :)

This one...I always want to try it but it never makes the cut. 4 slot is where I mercilessly cut anyway :)

Sinis

pokken wrote:
2 years ago
Every transmute card has to compare itself to the gold standard Muddle the Mixture where the card is actually pretty useful on its own and finds a really important cmc slot :)

This one...I always want to try it but it never makes the cut. 4 slot is where I mercilessly cut anyway :)
My fave transmutes are: Muddle the Mixture, Shred Memory, Dimir House Guard and Tolaria West.

Every other Transmute card is just not functional enough on its own. I could make an exception for Grozoth in the right deck, I suppose.

Serenade
UnderKing

I still love to transmute Dizzy Spell into Training Grounds.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”