Your deck sucks (review request thread)

pokken
Answers: 2
Pronoun: he / him

Post by pokken » 1 year ago

Dunharrow wrote:
1 year ago
I submit to you my Rakdos, Lord of What is a mana curve
okay. So what we have here is an author who wants to be that Animar, Soul of Elements layer but is kind of a ducking chicken.

This deck is an animar deck that sucks but it's still the same. Annoying infinite combos. Purphoros, God of the Forge effects. Eldrazi titans. %$#%$#% Cloudstone Curio combos. Ancestral Statue. Commander who reduces the colorless cost of spells. Yup. Animar deck.

I don't know a player out there who doesn't live for the chance to be locked out under Void Winnower or lose their lands to It That Betrays and some annihilate triggers. How original! We're playing things that are free to take advantage of Wotc being too incompetent to put "this can't be reduced to less than 1" on a card.

The similarities with animar are disturbing but this deck is just so much fricking worse on every level. No Beast Whisperer effects. No Llanowar Elves. No Heroic Intervention. No Palinchron. No Fierce Guardianship. No Gaea's Cradle ouch.

It's basically an animar deck with all the annoying %$#%$#% people hate but a lot of lame hoops and much slower. So worse but not really more fun for anyone. At least car ramrod (this is what autocorrect thinks rakdos is) doesn't invalidate half the removal in the format but on the flip side this pathetic joke of a deck just auto folds if ramrod isn't out.

So this is an animar deck that's worse, at least as annoying, flames out constantly.

At least because we're two colors we'll have a good manabas...nope. We have every black and red land on mana base crafter because our commander has such a horrible mana cost.

Ladies and gentlemen I present to you the first rakdos deck that can't beat Blood Moon literally ever.

So I hate signets and mana rocks but this deck feels like it could actually consider a Coalition Relic or Chromatic Lantern or something to help it make some colored mana. Even a crucible package feels alright.

Expedition Map and Cabal Coffers feel decent in this deck since getting urborg would be useful. Instead we just completely give up on consistency to the point we don't even run Faithless Looting because we want to be completely at the mercy of our top of deck to ever hit our land drops. Because we have like two medium draw spells.
I guess Night's Whisper was out of budget so we have the strictly worse. Sign in Blood. Oh I remember sign can be used to drain someone two so you can cast our shirty commander. Hope they don't draw any removal spells :P

Probably the biggest thing I would change about this deck is to run a small reanimate package. Looting spells are great and rakdos protection is very useful.

All things considered this deck feels like a one dimensional poorly plotted pile of crap for someone who is too chicken to play animar but wants the experience of being loathed anyway. This deck sucks !

Dunharrow

Post by Dunharrow » 1 year ago

pokken wrote:
1 year ago
Dunharrow wrote:
1 year ago
I submit to you my Rakdos, Lord of What is a mana curve
All things considered this deck feels like a one dimensional poorly plotted pile of crap for someone who is too chicken to play animar but wants the experience of being loathed anyway. This deck sucks !
I didn't see it that way but I am so happy to think of this deck as 'Bad Animar'. It's perfect. Not the deck, just the description.
What bugs me the most though is you actually gave good advice about reanimation packages.
The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme

pokken

Dunharrow wrote:
1 year ago

I didn't see it that way but I am so happy to think of this deck as 'Bad Animar'. It's perfect. Not the deck, just the description.
What bugs me the most though is you actually gave good advice about reanimation packages.
Senselessly bashing is what you signed up for ;) it's honestly not that bad in terms of I can tell you were being deliberate.

Re: good advice

As Wesley Snipes once said: The sun even shines on a dog's ass some days ;)

3drinks
Kaalia's Personal Liaison

Post by 3drinks » 1 year ago

Oh man, I gotta hear a Lewis Black rant on Craw Blade.
Steel Sabotage'ng Orbs of Mellowness since 2011.

I collect Kaalia of the Vast normal-size cards. Do you have any extra taking up space in your binder? Help me grow my collection! :)

WBRKaalia HQ WBR

pokken

3drinks wrote:
1 year ago
Oh man, I gotta hear a Lewis Black rant on Craw Blade.
I mean it's only got three cards in it. %$#% bears, %$#% equipment and Forest. I'm not a comedy magician. Go back to the deck and do something for me to make fun of that isn't so much like... I dunno. It feels inappropriate to make fun of this deck somehow.

It's such a miserable sad thing it feels like talking %$#% to a coma patient except they might be able to hear you. Medical science is not sure.

it's like going to the doggy hospice and making fun of the poor animals. I'm not that kind of person. So I don't think I will be doing an extended piece on this..."deck."

The one thing that confuses me is that Grunn, the Lonely King has actual text on it. Even if it's just stupid power doubling stuff it somehow like...sucks? Is this an exalted deck or do you want to be attacking with your swarm of bears?

Somehow submitter managed to make a comically anti synergistic general in a deck with nothing going on at all. How the %$#% do you make countersynergy with %$#% nothing? That takes serious talent. Talent at being horrible.

This deck sucks but you knew that. You somehow made it worse than the first version.

pokken

You guys both queued up. I'm actually playing magic tonight instead of talking %$#% about it on the internet!

cheonice
Death to Chronos.

Post by cheonice » 1 year ago

May I request an epic roast for myself?
Meet Akiri and Sakashima, my proudest try of a Voltron build! To me, it is perfect in every way, ceterum censeo Hullbreacher never should have been banned!
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=31626

pokken

cheonice wrote:
1 year ago
Meet Akiri and Sakashima, my proudest try of a Voltron build! To me, it is perfect in every way, ceterum censeo Hullbreacher never should have been banned!
I'm not going to like anything positive about hullboy but I got you queued

Gamazson

Post by Gamazson » 1 year ago

I have a Pir & Toothy deck that I have been playing since those commanders were printed. I am very proud of it. Once upon a time I even tried to write a primer.

Hurt me.

viewtopic.php?t=35078

pokken

darrenhabib wrote:
1 year ago
I think you'll find it impossible to roast my immaculate conception.

Dammit Darren. I got excited to look at a good deck. You're such a good deck crafter and probably play 100x more games than I do, even if I hate all of your decks I can recognize they have game.

And then the one you want me to look at is a 7 card meme deck where I have to read 93 lands. I don't want to read 93 lands. I got through the first 20 mountains and had to stop.

So we hit our land drops (duh, great design!), we cast Plarg, we wait a turn and activate Plarg (unless we have flashed him in with Winding Canyons or given him haste with Hall of the Bandit Lord or Flamekin Village or whatever, and then we activate him, hit Countryside Crusher.

Then we wait a turn (where presumably no one does anything to interact with us at all) and draw...something with [Countryside Crusher. It feels like the odds are we will draw an eldrazi titan we can't cast 100% of the time (at least with my luck) but hey we can then loot with Plarg to draw a random land I guess.

I'm sure there are some things I am missing about this deck but I can say from my time with 98 land meme decks (Kenrith, the Returned King / Zirda, the Dawnwaker was my fave) that people freak out and kill your commander basically always, so you will never get to do anything and this deck sucks for that reason.

That said, it seems to be basically just a %$#% version of the Maelstrom Wanderer deck of the same style. So this deck is a much more time consuming version of an already stupid deck that has existed since Zealous Conscripts was printed. So "immaculate conception" -- this feels more like a game of Mousetrap, building an absurdly overcomplicated and worse version of an old staple.

I do frigging love Countryside Crusher though. Man. It's really hard to fight past my love of using Kozilek, Butcher of Truth in the library as a combo piece to really hating this deck, but I think my hatred of its pure and utter derivative nature is enough. You have managed to cram in the cool not quite deterministic nature of a Gitrog deck into the old Maelstrom Wanderer 97 lands deck and somehow make it a lot worse.

This is the Nickelback of meme decks, Darren, so for that reason your deck sucks.

Honorable mention: Glacial Chasm with no synergy or way to find it! yay! Oh wait, it makes crusher bigger. incremental damage being a useful tool in this deck..while not being able to attack.

(Post #5000! yay! Congratulations. You win a worthless deck!)

3drinks
Kaalia's Personal Liaison

Post by 3drinks » 1 year ago

What's the combo? I don't understand what the deck even does. It's got legends and only finds non legends? But you "recognized it" and mention zealous conscripts but the only combo from then was Kiki combos.
Steel Sabotage'ng Orbs of Mellowness since 2011.

I collect Kaalia of the Vast normal-size cards. Do you have any extra taking up space in your binder? Help me grow my collection! :)

WBRKaalia HQ WBR

pokken

cheonice wrote:
1 year ago
It's no surprise at all to me that someone who is pro Hullbreacher is also in favor of the new "I make multiples of my commander with Sakashima of a Thousand Faces that's so origin!" design of decks. Let's not play anything actually synergistic, let's just make multiple copies of my commander because. I don't think I need to look at this deck to know that Helm of the Host and multiple ways to make more akiris will be in there.

Well, I was wrong. There aren't any. Somehow that makes the choice of commander worse. So Sakashima of a Thousand Faces is just there to...double voltron. Well that's cool I guess. At least the OP didn't make multiple akiris out of a misunderstanding of the legend rule and clones.

We didn't want to go with an actual synergistic card that generates card advantage and lets us into black like Silas Renn, Seeker Adept because, well, dare to be much %$#%! Cranial Plating is garbage anyway.

So I'm really a big hater on badly selected mana rock packages, but because OP doesn't describe how this deck plays I'm going to try some next level thinking and try to understand why we play 2 mana rocks with a 2 mana commander who curves into a 4 mana commander that you can never really cast before the 2 mana commander.

My thinking is that the submitter's plan is to dump their hand and find some number of haste enablers before casting Akiri / Sakashima in the same turn and donking two people half dead at once. This seems like an OK plan if people just let you drop all your artifacts I guess, and you've got a lot of counterspells.

Here's the problem with that plan.

There's only one haste enabler artifact in the deck, so they have to share pants if that ever wants to happen on the same turn. Or one of them gets the pants and one goes to Flamekin Village to get fast.

Are we too good for Crashing Drawbridge or Swiftfoot Boots? Literally every other magic deck in existence has Swiftfoot Boots because some youtuber said so, and we don't play it in the deck where it's actually strong synergy wiht your commander?

The equipment package, as per usual, is a bit mysterious to me. O-Naginata is a flavor thing? Akiri is a samurai or whatever? He's a Kor. Is it really that efficient compared to, I don't know, anything that generates card advantage?

Is All That Glitters really so good that it's worth yet another do nothing slot? I mean, Embercleave is a card.

A very confusing thing to me about this deck is that Akiri, Line-Slinger being huge with first strike and vigilant is the best defense in the deck but we spend a ton of energy giving him trample instead of flying, which would be way safer. Just randomly dying to fliers must be cool I guess.

Trailblazer's Boots? What even is that? Count on your opponent doing something to make your commander unblockable seems great, with no other utility. The odds of this card outperforming an unblockable cantrip effect is really low. Traaaaash!

I guess we don't have to worry about card advantage because we have two other sources of it in the deck, everyone's favorite Rhystic Study and at least moderately synergistic Shimmer Dragon. And bonus, no way to find them! So no real need to run any good card advantage artifacts like Bident of Thassa or something, we can just rely on Sword of Hearth and Home blinking one of our four ETB creatures or maybe just showing dominance by stripping all of the pants off Akiri and putting them back on later.

Or maybe Fact or Fiction with zero graveyard synergy (except Emry, Lurker of the Loch despite all the massive amounts of graveyard artifact synergy such as Daretti, Scrap Savant, Trash for Treasure and Scrap Mastery and Open the Vaults.

Academy Ruins with no way to find it, even in a deck where Expedition Map would be spectacular (for finding Inventors' Fair off Trinket Mage).

Smuggler's Share feels almost strictly better than Monologue Tax to me, generating CA and treasures. Maybe just a missed upgrade.

One thing I really don't understand is why Hullbreacher is still in the decklist. Is the thought that people won't notice?

All things considered this isn't that badly a constructed deck. It's one of the better ones. I enjoy the use of Stubborn Denial with a natively giant an very cheap commander a lot, just subtle synergies for fun. I really like the treasure theme with Akiri, Line-Slinger even if it's kind of pedestrian.

That said there are a lot of other random sins in this deck that confuse me.

1) So many enchantment goodstuff engines when there are powerful artifact synergies available that are almost as good and way more explosive. It's just so damned boring to see a Rhystic Study in a deck like this that could be on something that draws cards when you cast artifacts or something that returns all artifacts from the bin or whatever. Planeswalkers are really darned good in these decks and we have one really mediocre one.

2) no Sensei's Divining Top in a trinket mage deck is loooooose.

3) No mass artifact reanimation is similarly loose as discussed

4) Just random ridiculous trash cards in an otherwise tuned deck like they're there to trick people into thinking it's not a good deck. Bronze Guardian -- see that, my deck is casual! Linvala, Shield of Sea Gate instead of Siren Stormtamer - see, CASUAL! Tenza, Godo's Maul -- CASUAL!

Okay, now I'm swinging at you and you with 21/21 unblockable akiris on turn 5, See my casual O-Naginata on that one?

but it's casual so I'll have Kediss, Emberclaw Familiar blast the third player for 42. it's not commander damage, so it's fine.

Fundamentally this deck feels sound, but it's got maybe a little too much going on and a bit too much good stuff. It feels incredibly boring to play against as well as most all-in voltron decks are.

I imagine that 95% of games go like this:
okay I dump my hand
okay, I kill person who has no interaction
okay, you swept the board, guess I will cast Rhystic Study when it's no longer relevant.
(half an hour goes by while the player who got eliminated goes on a food run)
okay I'm dead

I am not 100% sure though. Part of me looks at this deck and is like, if it had just a hair more interaction and ways to stay in the game without having to commit too hard, it could just soak up a bunch of treasures and baff the entire table at once. But I don't see quite enough interaction for that and there's a lot of cute %$#%$#% taking up space.

I'm not sure exactly how tuned this deck intended to be. That's a huge problem I have in assessing it. On one hand we've got Hullbreacher and Windfall for no damn reason but we don't have Deflecting Swat or Flawless Maneuver or any other sick blowouts.

And we have serious tryhard %$#%$#% like Hushbringer and Ethersworn Canonist but we're too good for an Enlightened Tutor or Gamble in our voltron combo deck that really wants specific cards?

It's jarring to look at to be honest. It feels like what it does is goes to metas with no artifact sweepers and just kicks them around and cackles while saying "why don't you play some removal scrubs? oh you played removal, Negate!"

And finally, this deck needs Spellseeker and Winds of Abandon. Whift is amazing in this kinda deck.

So this deck doesn't really suck as bad as most of the decks we've seen but it's still weird and annoying and is chock full of moderately synergistic mana rocks, has a %$#% equipment package selected via the throw darts at edhrec method, and of course plays Rhystic Study and Cyclonic Rift. My only ultimate conclusion is that this is either a tryhard deck for abusing very specific scrubs, or is adhering to some ridiculous unstated ethos that keeps it from being any real good.

This deck Sucks!
Last edited by pokken 1 year ago, edited 2 times in total.

pokken

3drinks wrote:
1 year ago
What's the combo? I don't understand what the deck even does. It's got legends and only finds non legends? But you "recognized it" and mention zealous conscripts but the only combo from then was Kiki combos.
There used to be a meme deck with 97 lands, Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker and Zealous Conscripts with Maelstrom Wanderer as the commander. It would just hit 7-8 land drops and then cast wanderer and win (assuming no removal).

Darren's deck is basically a rube goldberg machine version of that (play plarg, activate plarg to get countryside crusher, maybe win after untapping?:P)

pokken

Gamazson wrote:
1 year ago
I have a Pir & Toothy deck that I have been playing since those commanders were printed. I am very proud of it. Once upon a time I even tried to write a primer.

Hurt me.

viewtopic.php?t=35078
I don't think it's possible for me to hurt you more than everyone you have hurt playing %$#% Toothy, Imaginary Friend. Hey guys my commander draws a gajillion cards and hits for lethal, if you remove it I'll...draw a million cards and hit you for lethal and you save me the trouble of blinking or sac'ing it!

You are winning several booby prizes with this deck that I'll announce first
* Deck is actually good with Reliquary Tower and Thought Vessel. The games aren't good but the deck can benefit from them. So congraulations, you made everyone watch you try to read 30 cards and figure out how to win instead of going to IHOP.
* Decklist is organized by a gajillion arbitrary categories that make it unintelligible
* Decklist misuses the word tempo. tempo is about mana not card draw/selection. the word you're looking for is velocity. bonus for putting Growth Spiral in an section other than ramp just to be confusing.
* Deck plays Herald of Secret Streams instead of something good
* author seems like the kind of clown to have Stifle'd a fetchland in a commander game.
* Simic Signet and Arcane Signet because whatever, they help me...be more vulnerable to permanent destruction in my somewhat slow controlly deck that commits a lot of enchantments to the board.
* synergistic use of Ancestral Vision
* doesn't play Teferi's Ageless Insight because it's too obvious, instead plays...Lorescale Coatl

And finally
* puts lands in a section of the decklist other than lands. good lord.

Next I hit standardized sorting so I could see what the hell was going on, and then I dug into the decklist!

What we have here is a random grab bag of cards that seem like they would go with both Pir, Imaginative Rascal and Toothy, Imaginary Friend abilities. Some of them do. Unfortunately most of them suck, and result in a completely incoherent gameplan where nothing matters except that you draw a gajillion cards off a giant Toothy and that fixes all the problems with this %$#%$#% deck. There is no way to ever tell if this deck is any good because after you draw 42 cards off the %$#%$#% commander in ways no one can interact with, nothing makes sense anymore.

Is Ominous Seas good because I eventually got to trigger it putting 2 counters on it at a time with Pir, Imaginative Rascal? how good is bunch of vanilla 8/8s? does it matter when I have my deck out in my hand furiously drawing all the cards? Does anything I do matter?

The answer is no.

Toothy, Imaginary Friend is the least interactive bunch of %$#%$#% quite possibly in the history of magic. At least Maelstrom Wanderer requires you to win with a couple cards you get off the top at random. Toothy's strategy?

Draw cards.

Since the dawn of magic no strategy has ever been so pure. You can win the game simply by drawing cards. This deck is like the simic version of @TheGildedGoose draw cards deck except if people counterspell their things it might matter.

Nothing anyone does against Toothy matters. We'll just keep casting toothy and drawing more cards. Make some mana, draw some cards, make some mana, draw some cards. It distills magic into its purest form of public self-congratulatory spectacle.

The only thing that matters is comboing out before toothy has more than 3 or 4 counters on him, because once toothy has 3 or 4 counters on him, that's what the game is about. Looking at this deck makes me physically ill.

AND YET

The author has taken this busted ass commander and somehow not managed to figure out that blink spells are good with Toothy. So we have...one measly blink spell despite a deck full of solid ETB creatures and the best one in the world Toothy, Imaginary Friend.

Not even Ghostly Flicker which can simultaneously protect *both commanders*!

Because of some misguided fear of drawing too many cards and "losing." let me tell you sir, if you draw 30 cards and can't stop someone from decking you with toothy with another removal spell you maybe ought to reevaluate things. I guess that Stifle effects (THERE ARE THREE SHEESH) are there to...stop Toothy from drawing too many cards? :P lol. what a chicken.

And that brings me to stuff like Prime Speaker Zegana. What even is that necessary for? I thought we were too afraid to draw a ton of cards, but now we're going to draw 15, make toothy a 30/30 and then die to Doom Blade. So instead of another blink effect we run a 7 mana draw spell.

But not Ponder, because we'll run %$#%$#% like Rhystic Study but we really like the inconsistency we get from not having actual things to do on turn 1 other than play a tapland.

All in all this deck just feels like a confusing pile of cards with an absurdly overpowered general. But there's only two out of the three Thassa's Oracle effects so it's fair boys.

Did you guys know I hate Toothy? Because I have more to say about that. Toothy would be straight up insane as a mono blue commander in a lot of ways, or if he was just a simic commander. But he has a buddy. A buddy who is basically Doubling Season in this deck, because Pir's Whim sees each instance of Toothy's trigger and doubles each one (you draw one card at a time).

If there's anything I hate more than a deck that makes profitable use of Reliquary Tower it's %$#% Doubling Season. I was pretty surprised not to see an Astral Cornucopia or Vorel of the Hull Clade or Everflowing Chalice.

So now I will talk about some things I like about this snoozefest:

Replicating Ring man I love the art on that card, and it has some decent mechanics with Toothy. I also like how the author categorized some things as late game ramp, that's something people forget about. As Foretold is also one of my favorite cards.

I love Whirlpool Rider effects a lot too, that card is beautiful as well.

And lastly this guy found a real hidden gem in the form of this little known blue removal spell called Cyclonic Rift. I think everyone neglected that because overload is a weird mechanic and 7 is a lot of mana, but I think it probably works in this deck - lots of endgame mana, and instants are really good, plus it gets rid of blockers. So kudos OP for finding that, I'll have to try it out.

THIS DECK SUCKS. Toothy sucks. Doubling season sucks. Pir sucks.
Last edited by pokken 1 year ago, edited 2 times in total.

Treamayne
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Treamayne » 1 year ago

Thank you for all of this @pokken

Okay, if you dare:

It's a 50% MTGO tribal casual deck that should be more about themes and synergy than winning or losing (scary General not withstanding):
SPOILER
Show
Hide
WUBRG Progenitus.jpg
Progenitus' Proliferated Hydrae
Show
Hide

General

Planeswalkers (1)

Approximate Total Cost:

V/R

Treamayne

pokken

Treamayne wrote:
1 year ago
Thank you for all of this @pokken

Okay, if you dare:

It's a 50% MTGO tribal casual deck that should be more about themes and synergy than winning or losing (scary General not withstanding):
SPOILER
Show
Hide
WUBRG Progenitus.jpg
Show
Hide

General

Planeswalkers (1)

Approximate Total Cost:

This deck is almost too cool and too close to home to roast (Man Do I love proliferating counters on lands). But there is some top tier dumbassery going on in an otherwise cool deck which I will talk about at length shortly :)

Most of it will be about Hammerheim. Like....what the %$#%

Treamayne

Post by Treamayne » 1 year ago

pokken wrote:
1 year ago
Most of it will be about Hammerheim. Like....what the %$#%
Sure, there are better lands - but this deck has died to both Sheoldred, Whispering One and Jedit Ojanen of Efrava (who usually use Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth and Yavimaya, Cradle of Growth to fuel their landwalk-voltron shenanigans). I've found people never notice this on the board, so removing landwalk from something like Sheoldred (especially when she is attacking somebody else) is acceptable "removal" for this deck (as it tends to draw landwalk attacks "just because I can" when players need an enabler for their nefarious plots - but drop the landwalking creature first - though Eladamri's mass landwalk isn't affected much - except the General).
V/R

Treamayne

Gamazson

Post by Gamazson » 1 year ago

Big oof. Yep I got what asked for. I'll certainly be taking several of those points to heart.

Thank you. I think.

pokken

Gamazson wrote:
1 year ago
Big oof. Yep I got what asked for. I'll certainly be taking several of those points to heart.

Thank you. I think.
Definitely don't think too hard. I don't. They might be some nuggets in there but mostly I try to channel all the deck whinging I hear. So a lot of %$#%$#% :)

cheonice
Death to Chronos.

Post by cheonice » 1 year ago

pokken wrote:
1 year ago
And we have serious tryhard %$#%$#% like Hushbringer and Ethersworn Canonist but we're too good for an Enlightened Tutor or Gamble in our voltron combo deck that really wants specific cards?

It's jarring to look at to be honest. It feels like what it does is goes to metas with no artifact sweepers and just kicks them around and cackles while saying "why don't you play some removal scrubs? oh you played removal, Negate!"

And finally, this deck needs Spellseeker and Winds of Abandon. Whift is amazing in this kinda deck.

So this deck doesn't really suck as bad as most of the decks we've seen but it's still weird and annoying and is chock full of moderately synergistic mana rocks, has a %$#% equipment package selected via the throw darts at edhrec method, and of course plays Rhystic Study and Cyclonic Rift. My only ultimate conclusion is that this is either a tryhard deck for abusing very specific scrubs, or is adhering to some ridiculous unstated ethos that keeps it from being any real good.

This deck Sucks!
That's... pretty accurate :D Never seen it that way, but... yeah... welp.
Thanks a lot for this pretty great roast, I will search for my drawing board in some dark corner.

Nontheless, looking over some things like the missing carddraw or the mess of equipements could maybe turn this into something more fun. Thanks again.

materpillar
the caterpillar

Post by materpillar » 1 year ago

I enjoy this quite a bit and I get the feeling you've haven't actually read all of my deck lists. That's a darn shame so I think we'll just slowly work through all of them. Next up is my definitely not racist Tivadar of Thorn. Have you watched a Krark, the Thumbless + Sakashima of a Thousand Faces ragequit pre-turn 0? I'd have felt bad but it was his choice to run a goblin. In fact a surprising number of people have had their decks completely infested with the filthy creatures and don't even know it!

darrenhabib

Post by darrenhabib » 1 year ago

pokken wrote:
1 year ago
Dammit Darren. I got excited to look at a good deck. You're such a good deck crafter and probably play 100x more games than I do, even if I hate all of your decks I can recognize they have game.

And then the one you want me to look at is a 7 card meme deck where I have to read 93 lands. I don't want to read 93 lands. I got through the first 20 mountains and had to stop.

So we hit our land drops (duh, great design!), we cast Plarg, we wait a turn and activate Plarg (unless we have flashed him in with Winding Canyons or given him haste with Hall of the Bandit Lord or Flamekin Village or whatever, and then we activate him, hit Countryside Crusher.

Then we wait a turn (where presumably no one does anything to interact with us at all) and draw...something with [Countryside Crusher. It feels like the odds are we will draw an eldrazi titan we can't cast 100% of the time (at least with my luck) but hey we can then loot with Plarg to draw a random land I guess.

I'm sure there are some things I am missing about this deck but I can say from my time with 98 land meme decks (Kenrith, the Returned King / Zirda, the Dawnwaker was my fave) that people freak out and kill your commander basically always, so you will never get to do anything and this deck sucks for that reason.

That said, it seems to be basically just a %$#% version of the Maelstrom Wanderer deck of the same style. So this deck is a much more time consuming version of an already stupid deck that has existed since Zealous Conscripts was printed. So "immaculate conception" -- this feels more like a game of Mousetrap, building an absurdly overcomplicated and worse version of an old staple.

I do frigging love Countryside Crusher though. Man. It's really hard to fight past my love of using Kozilek, Butcher of Truth in the library as a combo piece to really hating this deck, but I think my hatred of its pure and utter derivative nature is enough. You have managed to cram in the cool not quite deterministic nature of a Gitrog deck into the old Maelstrom Wanderer 97 lands deck and somehow make it a lot worse.

This is the Nickelback of meme decks, Darren, so for that reason your deck sucks.

Honorable mention: Glacial Chasm with no synergy or way to find it! yay! Oh wait, it makes crusher bigger. incremental damage being a useful tool in this deck..while not being able to attack.

(Post #5000! yay! Congratulations. You win a worthless deck!)
HOW DARE YOU!! A meme deck!?! This finely crafted diamond of cardboard has levels to it that a simple layperson like you does not comprehend.
At it's heart it is a Countryside Crusher AND Planar Birth deck. I know reading is hard.
This deck often has more lands in play than the Queen of England.
Can't cast Eldrazi titans? I'll have you know these bad boys come to party on the regular like Charlie Sheen does to a brothel.
Once Countryside Crusher trigger resolves you are always going to draw one of the non-land cards with Trove Warden being one you then get to put all the non-basic lands into play from graveyard.
You are correct there is no interaction with my combos because I make sure to pick the table with newbies just opening their precon decks or people wanting to test their hug decks.

I do love Nickelback, so you do redeem yourself there by basically saying how awesome it is.

pokken

TheGildedGoose wrote:
1 year ago
Thank you, sir! May I have another, sir?

Here's a deck I'm legitimately proud of:

Sharif Shadowheart: Rock the Sword Coast

Make me cry.
An orzhov combat turtle deck that uses its general for card advantage. Weird. I feel like I've seen that somewhere before, but...significantly better. *coughs in Breena, the Demagogue viewtopic.php?t=40846*. Yeah, this deck is a %$#% uninspired shameless knockoff of my much better deck. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery they say, but wow, this deck has Angelic Overseer in it for some reason. I have insufficient words.

I'm sure it'll come as a huge surprise that the first problem I have with this deck is the ramp package and the manabase.

in a decklist that didn't run 10 completely pointless signets in a set of colors with plenty of ramp options that can attack or be sacrificed for cards. We're too good for Loyal Warhound and Knight of the White Orchid and we choose to run Liquimetal Torque over Dowsing Dagger // Lost Vale in a deck with Stoneforge Mystic again for reasons.

With our powerful sac outlet commander that generates insane card advantage we for some reason jam 13 basic plains (????) but don't run Emeria, the Sky Ruin. We have 400 signets but no Ancient Tomb. But at least we have a Forbidden Orchard for some reason in a 2 color deck.

This manabase / ramp package is a %$#% embarrassment. No Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx in an almost mono-white deck with 13 plains -- which makes sense because we inexplicably play 10 completely nonsynergistic manarocks instead of ramp spells on bodies with pips.

So I'll grant that different strokes for different strokes there, but it's still godawful boring looking at the same stupid pile of signets. And it leads us to our next topic of sequencing.

What is our sequencing in this deck? Turn 1 nothing, turn 2 signet, turn 3 commander, turn 4 our background and leave up mana to sacrifice nothing? Sounds fun! doing nothing until turn 5 is sweet. Once every 5 or 6 games we turn 1 and Esper Sentinel with no way to grow it and then have to sacrifice it to hit our land drops but otherwise our 1 cmc spells are uniformly reactive. Well, I guess we can Vampiric Tutor for a creature to cast and not have mana to activate our commander and cast it. yay!

Would it kill the submitter to play a Serra Ascendant or maybe a Land Tax?

note: I did read the op's sequencing guide and it was even worse than I thought. On turn 5 we can sac a creature for 3-4 cards at the low low cost of 734 mana and a bunch of luck. YAY.

As far as synergy goes, there are a bunch of crazy synergy cards with Shadowheart, Dark Justiciar but we run tepid %$#%$#% that is not a creature like Empyrial Plate instead of something good like Phyrexian Dreadnought or Serra Ascendant. I presume this is some kind of bias against being actually good and this deck is intended to play down to its opponents' level in the sub-basement of a sewage plant.

My favorite synergy in this deck is creatures that sacrifice themselves and Shadowheart, Dark Justiciar. I feel like someone didn't get the memo that you can't sacrifice a creature twice or something. But hey at least we have like 3 sources of recursion for our swarm of self-sacrificing idiots (and still not Emeria, the Sky Ruin.

So OP might not know this either but there is a series of cards that make opponents sacrifice creatures that are pretty good with your general being a sac outlet, like Grave Pact. I'm not sure what kind of scrub wouldn't load up on grave pact effects with this commander, maybe one who wants his opponents to like him or something.

A really confusing thing to me about this deck is the protection package. I think submitter may be confused and think they are building a Feather, the Redeemed deck. Blacksmith's Skill? Have we heard of Guardian of Faith or Glorious Protector both of whom have pretty strong synergy with our general? Yeah it means more mana up, but at least it keeps us from playing Fight as One in a commander deck.

Next let's talk about Duelist's Heritage. It feels like this card comes straight off of EDHrec. This card %$#% sucks. It does nothing in this deck. Doublestrike doesn't double your power.

I think the thing I probably hate the most about this deck is that it's a deck where Batterskull is actually fun and good and we run Stoneforge Mystic to find Empyrial Plate. I'm not sure what it is about people and ridiculous equipment packages, but good lord what even is this. We're gonna play a squire you can tutor up our haste outlet but not play anything actually good for it to find. Not even a strongly synergistic Sword of Light and Shadow that if we were good at magic and played some growing 1-drops might result in us drawing 20+ cards in a turn instead of tapping our Liquimetal Torque to make something into an artifact so we can kill it with Austere Command YAY SYNERGY.

Just one more jab at all the stupid static effects that protect our general that we might really want to sacrifice like General's Enforcer and Selfless Spirit. Again, you cannot sac Selfless Spirit or Cathar Commando to their abilities and Shadowheart, Dark Justiciar. That's cheating.

Let's also talk about Oketra the True. Well, it makes 1/1s at a very crappy rate, and it's strongly synergistic with our commander by being a %$#% 3/6 for 4. double strike doesn't double your power!

So is there anything I like about this deck? Usually I can find something. I found things to like about someone's %$#% 93 land meme deck. I tried and I tried with this deck but I hate every card in it except Breena, the Demagogue who is actually pretty good here. If you made her the commander and swapped the cards 1 for 1 with this other orzhov deck it would be pretty cool.

I also found one card I like. Ebondeath, Dracolich. That card is sweet. I love that you can surprise flash it in and sac it. That's really cool.

It would take me so long to list all the ways in which this deck is clunky that we would all be obliterated by the sun swelling into its red giant phase before I finished, but here is a short list of specific things I really really hate

zero untap synergy, we're too good for Thousand-Year Elixir in our half-artifact deck?
almost no recursion synergy
my god that ridiculous ramp package, we could have 10 more creatures in this deck
Vindicate nuff said
no Living Death or Return to the ranks or anything cool, no Wake the Dead
did I mention no Thousand-Year Elixir?
Man I had another one but I blacked out from this deck exploding my blood pressure and forgot. (EDIT I REMEMBERED: No Skyclave Apparition?????)
no Brought Back / Cosmic Intervention package feels just purely wrong. very strong synergy *and* ramps with fetchlands. Sudden Salvation might even be good enough. These things protect your commander *and* recur the thing he sacs. Straight gasoline.

So bottom line I think there is a deck here. The selection of general is kinda cool, I like Noble Heritage as well. But man this deck just does not do it for me. If this were a budget deck I could dig it but it's not that cheap! This deck can afford to play a Bloodghast and Bloodsoaked Champion ffs. We can't put Skullclamp in this deck, where it is like....ridiculously strong synergy?

I could not figure out what was going on with the selection of cards or the strategy. it feels like super tuned to draw 3 cards on turn 5. This deck's entire shtick is assembling a massive pile of cards to be worse than Phyrexian Arena, a card that most people who are not horrible have stopped playing because it sucks. Combo!

This deck is horrible. I can't understand being proud of this thing. Proud that we're too cool and hipster to play any good cards in our deck while simultaneously jamming 10 of the trendiest mana rocks, $100 of busted black tutors (that search for what? I don't know).

The most baffling thing of all in this deck is Grand Abolisher. Listen, no one cares what you're doing enough to try to interact during your turn. Go ahead and draw your 3 cards.

This deck sucks!

bonus ps: Anafenza, Kin-Tree Spirit would be really good in this deck most likely.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”