Esika - Worst Mana Curve Ever

materpillar
the caterpillar
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by materpillar » 1 year ago

So random card of the day popped up Undying Flames. So… I need to run that. Maybe slot in Mnemonic Deluge to combo with it.

I definitely want Hidetsugu and Kairi. I should also slot in Jadzi, Oracle of Arcavios // Journey to the Oracle. I'm on the fence about Emrakul, the Promised End. I've always loved the character and the card is a perfect synergy with the deck but it's so unfun to be on the receiving end of. :/

pokken
Answers: 2
Pronoun: he / him

Post by pokken » 1 year ago

materpillar wrote:
1 year ago
I'm on the fence about Emrakul, the Promised End.
I have started mostly sandbagging this card if I can't steal someone's infinite combo with it (or kill them with Toxic Deluge or similar). like if I see the opportunity to do something hilarious I'll go for it :P But not just to hose somebody.

materpillar
the caterpillar

Post by materpillar » 1 month ago

Little bit of a bumpy bump here. Just updated the list. Some notable cards.
Mnemonic Deluge - Might be too strong/unfun. Hitting Rise of the Eldrazi isn't a fantastic play pattern for my opponents. On the watchlist
Who // What // When // Where // Why is a 13cmc disenchant so that's neat! Makes the deck need a bit more rule zero talk.

Haven't cast it yet but I expect Conspiracy Unraveler to be pants to the wall insane in this deck.

Wizards keeps printing 10+ cmc cards with cost reduction like The Pride of Hull Clade and Rumbleweed. I had to cut Progenitus and Darksteel Colossus. Good by my sweet nostalgia cards. :(

Hypnox and Worldspine Wurm are probably next. But I love them so much. :(

materpillar
the caterpillar

Post by materpillar » 1 day ago

Another bumpy bump. Played several games this past weekend. Conspiracy Unraveler is basically a 7mana Omniscience. Hit someone for 30 with a Palantír of Orthanc trigger which was hilarious.

Just added a bunch of the modern horizon 3 flip lands. This deck really wants to hit GG on turn 3 so I don't think I can cut any more green sources which is a shame because there's a handful of 5/6cmc flip lands I'm not currently running. Right now the deck is about 70% to hit GG on T3.

Quick power update. This deck isn't good against people doing degenerate things on T0-5. It also doesn't have much instant speed interaction to break up combos. That being said it can start swinging hard T6 itself, it can absolutely obliterate precon level decks. It can deal a shocking amount of face damage to each opponent out of nowhere and none of the cards that are massive threats scream "I'm a massive threat".

Usually you go T3 Esika. T4 big ramp spell. T5+ drop haymakers until people are dead. If Esika dies (which basically never happens) or your T4 ramp gets disrupted it's gonna be a hard time. If that doesn't happen you can put out a significant amount of pressure.

pokken
Answers: 2
Pronoun: he / him

Post by pokken » 1 day ago

It's always hard to classify decks like this. It kinda reminds me of one turn slower xenagos (though it's similar to the speed of my zen build)

materpillar
the caterpillar

Post by materpillar » 1 day ago

pokken wrote:
1 day ago
It's always hard to classify decks like this. It kinda reminds me of one turn slower xenagos (though it's similar to the speed of my zen build)
It's a midrange burn deck. You can't tell by glancing at it but it's a burn deck. There's come cute synergies to dump a pile of creatures into play but that rarely closes out the game. Large creatures tend to just be a distraction with some chip damage. If they're not answered they'll kill people but in my experience the creatures are functionally Ball Lightnings. While people are occupied with large Timmy creatures you use Baneful Omen effects to chunk people for 10 every turn. I win off the back of Heretic's Punishment going face more than anything else by a huge margin.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”