Wow @MTGSally really did go off a cliff since our move here.

Feyd_Ruin
Elder Vampire
Answers: 3
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Feyd_Ruin » 4 months ago

Hawk wrote:
4 months ago
I remember MTGNews
What's really odd to me is that I've known you for over 20 years now, but it's always been rare that we actually interact.
You'd think I'd at least know your name by now or something lol
To the beaten, the broken, or the damned; the lost, and the wayward: wherever I may be, you will have a home.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 126

Post by void_nothing » 4 months ago

Ah yes, MTGNews.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Dunharrow

Post by Dunharrow » 4 months ago

Mookie wrote:
4 months ago
Dunharrow wrote:
4 months ago
I will say though, that I wish we had a livelier Cube forum and better spoiler announcement situation.
I could post my own cube, but yeah. Not much momentum in those areas. Most of my cube discussion is with my local playgroup though.
Meh at this point I am not active on the forums. I will pop in from time to time. I think my cube designs will be pushed to when my kids are older.
The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme

Lifeless
Not here to contribute.

Post by Lifeless » 4 months ago

Damn MTGNews is a deep track. I only ever lurked there as far as I can remember.

TheGildedGoose
HONK HONK
Pronoun: any/all

Post by TheGildedGoose » 4 months ago

I didn't post on MTGNews but I was active on the WotC boards pretty early on. I lurked MiseTings for a long time, too, but was too intimidated to post.

Feyd_Ruin
Elder Vampire

TheGildedGoose wrote:
4 months ago
I lurked MiseTings for a long time, too, but was too intimidated to post.
Tings always was so welcoming to new people.. :rofl:
To the beaten, the broken, or the damned; the lost, and the wayward: wherever I may be, you will have a home.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

But yes, I think I can speak for all of the admins when I say thanks for all the kind words and this place would be nothing and have no point without you. Feyd's pointed out that we'll have the much-requested dark theme soon, and while he (as our sole developer) will announce more when it's good and ready, I can say we are always trying to improve and add more features, and all we can hope is that some of them are useful and popular for the community. The Custom Card Creator, for example, was not something we had when the site launched and took a lot of hard work on Feyd's part, but it's turned into a really huge deal, and there's more in the works that we hope people will like to the same degree.

Do I wish some of the subforums had better traffic? Yeah, I do. Our most successful ones kind of had communities that we just managed to transplant from Salvation. But the strange thing is we've also gotten plenty of signups from people who were not on Sally and maybe even have never used a forum before. And that's interesting and a good sign to me.

EDIT: MiseTings, wow - an even deeper cut. If you are old enough to edit a post and say you were sarnathed if someone preempted you with their reply, that's a MiseTings reference, baby!
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Feyd_Ruin
Elder Vampire

void_nothing wrote:
4 months ago
If you are old enough to edit a post and say you were sarnathed if someone preempted you with their reply
I've gotten my wife into saying 'nathed and kank these days lol

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Ah, that's what we need next: For :kank: to actually result in an animated emote.

3drinks
Kaalia's Personal Liaison

Post by 3drinks » 4 months ago

Mookie wrote:
4 months ago
Dunharrow wrote:
4 months ago
I will say though, that I wish we had a livelier Cube forum and better spoiler announcement situation.
I could post my own cube, but yeah. Not much momentum in those areas. Most of my cube discussion is with my local playgroup though.
Yeah, I dissolved my "SilverBlack" (commons/uncommons) Cube because I don't have near that many friends in paper to justify keeping it nor the setup time it would take to bring it to the LGS. I kinda want to proxy a power cube, but again, the setup time is very real so it's like what's the point. At least it's not a monetary cost though.

Hawk
Slayer of Threads

Post by Hawk » 4 months ago

Feyd_Ruin wrote:
4 months ago
Hawk wrote:
4 months ago
I remember MTGNews
What's really odd to me is that I've known you for over 20 years now, but it's always been rare that we actually interact.
You'd think I'd at least know your name by now or something lol
Yeah I tend to stay in my own places - Custom Cards to start at 'News but eventually the Casual forums, and then Commander here and Salvation. It's Jason for the record (20+ years later) :) .

Man, "'nathed" takes me back too. Sometimes I wonder what happened to some of that old guard like Scuirimancer and rabit and TheFallenEvincar (okay, I wonder less about TFE).

re: Cubes - has anyone ever had a Cube they get to play reliably? My brothers built me an EDH Cube (before Commander Legends so it was a weirder format), and I finally dismantled it this summer having played it 0 times in 4 years. I keep toying with rebuilding it with Partners or Backgrounds, or proxying out a Vintage cube, or building a Conspiracy Cube, but it seems like a lot of work and resources for a thing that just won't get a ton of use ya know?

Lifeless
Not here to contribute.

Post by Lifeless » 4 months ago

My group has 5 cubes - Powered EDH, Pauper, Guild Mana, Conspiracy, and Silver Border. I think for Cube to not be just a chore you have to enjoy breaking it down, balancing it, considering your options for new cards, etc. Most people don't really enjoy it as an exercise but I think that's the key.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Hawk wrote:
4 months ago
(okay, I wonder less about TFE).
He, I assume, is in federal prison by now.

Scuirimancer was doing well the last time I talked to him, but that was a couple of years ago by now and the last time I intentionally logged into MTGS. I miss him in CCC, along with Pharmalade, PlanesJayWalker, Guesswork, GetItWrong, and a lot of other names probably only I think about.

TheGildedGoose
HONK HONK
Pronoun: any/all

Post by TheGildedGoose » 4 months ago

void_nothing wrote:
4 months ago
Hawk wrote:
4 months ago
(okay, I wonder less about TFE).
He, I assume, is in federal prison by now.
Go on.

I love Internet Deep Lore.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Okay, to let people who had better things to do at the time in on an inside joke: The Fallen Evincar was a big-name user of News and Salvation who was... let's say chaotic. We didn't have the term %$#% back then but he was committed to the bit. The fact that he constantly posted edgy surreal humor makes it funny to assume he went down a real dark path.

His banning was tied up in some of the more amusing items of forum drama I've witnessed. (I think it's useful to know that Salvation had an anything-goes secret subforum called The Gutter for a while, and that is hopefully the last time I publicly mention The Gutter on this site, or really ever.)

cheonice
Death to Chronos.

Post by cheonice » 4 months ago

Anyone remembers Magnus Magicus? I remember that he had built a decklist for nearly every commander available. Kind of like an Alpha EDHrec! As a lurker this was an interesting resource for odd and bad commanders.

Edit: Another thing I liked about Sally: The decklist database. Could we do something about our's? I'm a sucker for lists and it would help finding lists. I like stumpling ober interesting lists and an up-to-date database thread would make it easier.

Treamayne
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Treamayne » 4 months ago

I think I'm happy to say that I never posted on Sally. IIRC I lurked 2-3 times to read a specific thread, and found the atmosphere. . . offputting.

Now, the RC Forums (mtgcommander.net). . .
V/R

Treamayne

Feyd_Ruin
Elder Vampire

void_nothing wrote:
4 months ago
Ah, that's what we need next: For :kank: to actually result in an animated emote.
:kank:

Edit: Meh. It didn't shrink right. I'll fix it later

Dragonlover

Post by Dragonlover » 4 months ago

cheonice wrote:
4 months ago
Anyone remembers Magnus Magicus? I remember that he had built a decklist for nearly every commander available. Kind of like an Alpha EDHrec! As a lurker this was an interesting resource for odd and bad commanders.

Edit: Another thing I liked about Sally: The decklist database. Could we do something about our's? I'm a sucker for lists and it would help finding lists. I like stumpling ober interesting lists and an up-to-date database thread would make it easier.
I remember Magnus. Dude really went 'everyone gets a decklist, but I decide the rules' then just went off doing things like 'every card begins with the letter D'. I feel like he'd be overwhelmed a tad nowadays.

I too miss the database, the auto-scraping made life a lot easier. It's not quite the same, but I do like having the odd trawl through Moxfield. I think because a lot of people just use it as a 'this is where I keep my lists' and there's no further goal of the site, you get that slightly chaotic whiplash through decks of the same commander between different themes and power levels. Also you get to see all the mistakes people are making that you used to make, like Crucible of Fire in a Lathliss deck. It sounds awesome, but it isn't.

And, as much as some of the folks here sometimes get a bit pedantically up their own arse, it's nice to have an actual forum to read. Reddits great and all, but god forbid you want to find anything you saw today next week.

Dragonlover
All my decks are here

duducrash
Still Learning

Post by duducrash » 4 months ago

Treamayne wrote:
4 months ago
and found the atmosphere. . . offputting.
One thing I really appreciated about sally was how active the developing/budget forums were. I wanted to play a new t2 format and wasnt willing to shill the big bucks for the tier 1? the budget forums got me covered. I played with several non tier decks in modern, for example my pet deck was allies. I could go to the developing forum and would find fellow folks sharing ideas about allies. it was a nice way to find folks who were passionate about under the radar decks

benjameenbear

Post by benjameenbear » 4 months ago

The only thing this site really needs to take off is a decent marketing campaign. Some simple, cheap opt-in ads on Facebook and some organic videos on TikTok and I'd bet the site would take off. It's no Discord, but the value of content and ease of reading is much more enjoyable to me

Moxfield is cool and all, but the Primer aspect sucks HARD and it gives you too many things to sift through. Trying to track comments on it is also a pain. And we have some of the OG crew of EDH list-building on this site. Hell, @Moxnix was one of the early formulators of cEDH with his early Jeleva list on MTGSal.

I'd put @Feyd_Ruin's dev skills against anyone for a clean, hella cool website with a legit, welcoming community. People are going to get tired of trying to find useful comments on Discord, Moxfield, and other forums and there will probably be a cycling back to forums like this one.

3drinks
Kaalia's Personal Liaison

Post by 3drinks » 4 months ago

benjameenbear wrote:
4 months ago
I'd put @Feyd_Ruin's dev skills against anyone for a clean, hella cool website with a legit, welcoming community. People are going to get tired of trying to find useful comments on Discord, Moxfield, and other forums and there will probably be a cycling back to forums like this one.
You find useful comments on Moxfield and not useless %$#% and whining about card x?
benjameenbear wrote:
4 months ago
The only thing this site really needs to take off is a decent marketing campaign. Some simple, cheap opt-in ads on Facebook and some organic videos on TikTok and I'd bet the site would take off.
I was gonna say something about bottom feeding marketers selling user data for ad revenue, but as I don't use the platforms listed, I'd guess I'd never see it so it really doesn't matter to me.

Treamayne

Post by Treamayne » 4 months ago

benjameenbear wrote:
4 months ago
. . . and I'd bet the site would take off
If by "take-off" you mean like the RC Discord population explosion; no thanks. Fun to toxic in 2.3 seconds. . .
V/R

Treamayne

Dunadain
I like turtles
Answers: 2

Post by Dunadain » 4 months ago

I'm not gonna gate-keep the site, more traffic will mean more work for the moderators, but if the community isn't growing, it's dying. Moderators have done great so far, I have no reason to believe they won't be able to continue as the site grows (obviously they'll eventually need to recruit more mods to keep up).
All cards are bad if you try hard enough.

Important decks: Ebondeath, Dracolich, Emiel, The Blessed, Phelddagriff
Other: Ruhan, Zask, Kellan, Liesa, Galadriel, Orca, Sauron, Thantis, Rukarumel, Sisay, Stickfingers, Safana, Thantis, Dihada

Help me complete my JumpStart Cube!

5colorsrainbow
Answers: 1

Post by 5colorsrainbow » 4 months ago

I still go on Sally for the rumor mill and story discussion but man I really got burned out over all the bigotry that still jumped out .

On that note, I'm basically the one running the lore section on sally. I tried to do that here but people weren't really talking about the story itself but seems like there is a bit more interested now a days so might be fun to bring some of that back here.
“There are no weak Jews. I am descended from those who wrestle angels and kill giants. We were chosen by God. You were chosen by a pathetic little man who can't seem to grow a full mustache"

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”