Indominus Rex, Alpha

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin
Pronoun: he / him

Post by ISBPathfinder » 6 months ago

I believe I saw on reddit or somewhere that Knight of Malice can give Indominus Rex, Alpha hexproof. Can Spirit of the Night give first strike? I am still a little lost as to what does or does not count with some of these conditional abilities. I assume offhand that you don't get first strike from spirit because Knight always has that conditional hexproof but I just wanted to verify.

Accepted Answer

by void_nothing » 6 months ago
No, Spirit of the Night doesn't actually have first strike, it has an ability that grants itself first strike. Knight of Malice, by contrast, inherently has an ability that counts as hexproof (CR 702.11d-e).
Go to full post
[EDH] Vadrok List (Suicide Chads) | Evelyn List (Vamp Mill) | Sanwell List | Danitha List | Indominus List | Ratadrabik List

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 126

Post by void_nothing » 6 months ago

No, Spirit of the Night doesn't actually have first strike, it has an ability that grants itself first strike. Knight of Malice, by contrast, inherently has an ability that counts as hexproof (CR 702.11d-e).
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

WizardMN
Answers: 128

Post by WizardMN » 6 months ago

It is worth pointing out that Knight of Malice will grant Indominus Rex, Alpha "Hexproof from White", not the Hexproof ability as a whole. When dealing with cards like this, the specific variant is what is granted. Rule 122.1b allows for Keyword counters for the Variants and the Card Rulings for Odric, Lunarch Marshal clarifies this as well (I can't find Rex in Gatherer but it is the same effect). The actual Comp Rules don't seem to spell this out very clearly which is why I point to the Card Ruling in this case.
Last edited by WizardMN 6 months ago, edited 1 time in total.

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy
Answers: 1

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 6 months ago

WizardMN wrote:
6 months ago
It is worth pointing out that Knight of Malice will grant Indominus Rex, Alpha "Hexproof from White", not the Hexproof ability as a whole. When dealing with cards like this, the specific variant is what is granted. Rule 122.1b allows for Keyword counters for the Variants and the Card Rulings for Odric, Master Tactician clarifies this as well (I can't find Rex in Gatherer but it is the same effect). The actual Comp Rules don't seem to spell this out very clearly which is why I point to the Card Ruling in this case.
I mean absolutely no disrespect whatsoever, but for posterity's sake, I think you meant Odric, Lunarch Marshal. The card tag probably just bungled on you.
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

WizardMN
Answers: 128

Post by WizardMN » 6 months ago

@TheAmericanSpirit

Thanks for the catch. Corrected that in my original comment to hopefully lessen confusion going forward. Totally my own fault for just forgetting which Odric I was looking at :P

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Rulings”