Unreleased and New Card Discussion

Dunharrow
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Dunharrow » 11 months ago

I thought the eldrazi deck would have cards for Rakdos, Lord of Riots but Omarthis, Ghostfire Initiate is the only card I liked, for my Marchesa, the Black Rose.

Some of the other cards that care about casting colorless spells are cool, but I don't think I have enough colorless cards in Rakdos to make them worth it. I will have to count them.
The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme

duducrash
Still Learning

Post by duducrash » 11 months ago

Of all the things that ate not for me, the doctor who sare the nottest for me so far

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 11 months ago

Man, the rest of this masters set is very average. I can't see virtually anything outside of the rare slots I'd be stoked to crack.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

Serenade
UnderKing

Post by Serenade » 11 months ago

Crash of Rhino Beetles being downgraded to common, yeeeeeeeesh.

I would like to get a Nadier's Nightblade for my collection. I had missed that one.

Feels very gross that they would reprint Heartless Act.
Mirri, Cat Warrior counts as a Cat Warrior.

Cyberium
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Cyberium » 11 months ago

Serenade wrote:
11 months ago
Why is that?

Dunadain
I like turtles
Answers: 2

Post by Dunadain » 11 months ago

Cyberium wrote:
11 months ago
Serenade wrote:
11 months ago
Why is that?
I can't speak for serenade, but Heartless Act is one of the few cards on the game that make me uncomfortable.

Don't really know why that is, sure it portrays animal cruelty, bit there's a lot of objections content in mtg, and for some reason this card makes me unfortunately *shrug*

The other two big ones are Demonic Pact and Triumph of Ferocity.
All cards are bad if you try hard enough.

Important decks: Ebondeath, Dracolich, Zask, Phelddagriff
Other: Karrthus, Eris, Emiel, The Blessed, Ruhan, Kellan, Liesa, Galadriel, Orca, Sauron, Thantis, Rukarumel, Sisay, Stickfingers, Safana, Thantis, Dihada

Help me complete my JumpStart Cube!

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

Post by RxPhantom » 11 months ago

Dunadain wrote:
11 months ago
Cyberium wrote:
11 months ago
Serenade wrote:
11 months ago
Why is that?
I can't speak for serenade, but Heartless Act is one of the few cards on the game that make me uncomfortable.

Don't really know why that is, sure it portrays animal cruelty, bit there's a lot of objections content in mtg, and for some reason this card makes me unfortunately *shrug*

What am I missing on Demonic Pact?
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 5/26/24 (Modern Horizons III)

TheGildedGoose
HONK HONK
Pronoun: any/all

Post by TheGildedGoose » 11 months ago

I like Heartless Act, actually, but I don't mind my card art being disturbing, depending on the nature of the disturbance. I'm also a mono-black player, so take that for what it's worth. As for Demonic Pact, I too am curious about why it would make someone uncomfortable. The only thing I can think of is the sexualization on the card, but there are far worse offenders from more recent sets in that regard, so.

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy
Answers: 1

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 11 months ago

Only card in mtg that bothers me is OG Mutilate|Tor. That art has lived in my nightmares since 5th grade.
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

TheGildedGoose
HONK HONK

Post by TheGildedGoose » 11 months ago

TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
11 months ago
Only card in mtg that bothers me is OG Mutilate|Tor. That art has lived in my nightmares since 5th grade.
Why not Peer into the Abyss? My partner says it makes them anxious.

Also, that was the art I used in my Erebos deck.

Serenade
UnderKing

Post by Serenade » 11 months ago

It would be such an easy art update for H.Act, too, since we know they are not above puns. Have a grumpy skeleton warrior, empty chest cavity clearly visible, with a miasma-y axe or an attacking zombie whose heart [points to corner] literally just fell out of it over there.
Mirri, Cat Warrior counts as a Cat Warrior.

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 11 months ago

TheGildedGoose wrote:
11 months ago
TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
11 months ago
Why not Peer into the Abyss? My partner says it makes them anxious.

Also, that was the art I used in my Erebos deck.
The old school painted art just hits different. Peer just looks too digital to strike fear in me. OG Mutilate looks the like cover of an old paperback horror novel in the most frightening way.
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

Avacyn Believer
Faith Requires Sacrifice

Post by Avacyn Believer » 11 months ago

I know I am bit late to the news but Battle at the Helvault is the most beautiful thing I've seen in this new set :love:

Dunadain
I like turtles
Answers: 2

Post by Dunadain » 11 months ago

RxPhantom wrote:
11 months ago
Dunadain wrote:
11 months ago
Cyberium wrote:
11 months ago

Why is that?

Don't really know why that is, sure it portrays animal cruelty, bit there's a lot of objectionable content in mtg, and for some reason this card makes me uncomfortable *shrug*

Your not missing anything, it's a Faustian deal, and that makes me uncomfortable.

I realize it's not the only card with that theme, but something about it is so much more real than a card like Demonic Tutor. I think it's because the actual mechanic are so explicit: you get some stuff, and then you forfeit you immortal soul.

Idk, this is all subjective, I'm not saying mtg is wrong for printing any of these cards, it's impossible to make something that everyone is comfortable with, and if you did, it would probably be rather meaningless.
All cards are bad if you try hard enough.

Important decks: Ebondeath, Dracolich, Zask, Phelddagriff
Other: Karrthus, Eris, Emiel, The Blessed, Ruhan, Kellan, Liesa, Galadriel, Orca, Sauron, Thantis, Rukarumel, Sisay, Stickfingers, Safana, Thantis, Dihada

Help me complete my JumpStart Cube!

TheGildedGoose
HONK HONK

Post by TheGildedGoose » 10 months ago

RxPhantom wrote:
11 months ago
You can tell they're out of ideas when 'close-ups on your favorite characters looking to their right' passes as a gimmick. Having said that, they're not all bad; they actually run the gamut between awesome (Gisela, Blade of Goldnight|84710, Mikaeus, the Unhallowed|84516) and goofy (Kykar, Wind's Fury|84491, Ulamog, the Ceaseless Hunger|84555).
I was thinking about this post this morning and I completely disagree. I like busts ( :catjam: ) specifically and portraits generally, and the "realistic" art style appeals to me. Kykar, Wind's Fury|84491 in particular is high quality, and I am offended you think it's goofy. My only complaint is that they're only limiting it to some(?) legends. When will Karador get justice?

Avacyn Believer
Faith Requires Sacrifice

Post by Avacyn Believer » 10 months ago

I agree with TheGildedGoose. Personally I quite enjoy the style and am sad that they haven't done it for more Legends in the set. To play devil's advocate though, I think this style comes off as less effort because we have been getting so many really fancy frames that this looks too simple in comparison. That said, I think the extended art where they expand it beyond the frame a little bit on right and left is way more lazier than brand new art :P

Mookie
Answers: 48

Post by Mookie » 10 months ago

Speaking of disturbing art, we just got a few art-only previews... including a goose hydra(!). @TheGildedGoose, as one of the resident avian experts, any thoughts?

NZB2323

Post by NZB2323 » 10 months ago

Dunadain wrote:
11 months ago
RxPhantom wrote:
11 months ago
Dunadain wrote:
11 months ago

Don't really know why that is, sure it portrays animal cruelty, bit there's a lot of objectionable content in mtg, and for some reason this card makes me uncomfortable *shrug*

Your not missing anything, it's a Faustian deal, and that makes me uncomfortable.

I realize it's not the only card with that theme, but something about it is so much more real than a card like Demonic Tutor. I think it's because the actual mechanic are so explicit: you get some stuff, and then you forfeit you immortal soul.

Idk, this is all subjective, I'm not saying mtg is wrong for printing any of these cards, it's impossible to make something that everyone is comfortable with, and if you did, it would probably be rather meaningless.
If it makes you feel any better, Lily ended up killing all the demons she made the pact with, and she got revenge on the dragon who brokered the deal.
Now she's a professor who teaches the youth, and has battled against Eldrazi and Phyrexians. Maybe it's a metaphor that we can conquer our own demons, even if at some point in our lives we made an deal with the devil, and that it's never too late to turn things around.
Current Decks
rg Morophon, the infinite Kavu Eowyn, human tribal Legolas, voltron control Wb Tymna/Ravos cleric tribal Neheb, Chicago Bulls tribal Ug Edric pauper

Retired Decks
Edgar Markov Kaalia, angel board wipes Ghen, prison Captain Sisay Ub Nymris, draw go Sarulf, voltron control Niv-Mizzet, combo Winota Sidisi, Zombie Tribal

TheGildedGoose
HONK HONK

Avacyn Believer wrote:
10 months ago
I agree with TheGildedGoose. Personally I quite enjoy the style and am sad that they haven't done it for more Legends in the set. To play devil's advocate though, I think this style comes off as less effort because we have been getting so many really fancy frames that this looks too simple in comparison. That said, I think the extended art where they expand it beyond the frame a little bit on right and left is way more lazier than brand new art :P
Sure. I just prefer less busy, more understated art in general, but especially when it comes to Magic cards. I dislike foils and all this digital art. Give me more Legends Nicol Bolas and less Nicol Bolas, God-Pharaoh.
Mookie wrote:
10 months ago
Speaking of disturbing art, we just got a few art-only previews... including a goose hydra(!). @TheGildedGoose, as one of the resident avian experts, any thoughts?
Seven heads, seven opportunities for violence.

Avacyn Believer
Faith Requires Sacrifice

Post by Avacyn Believer » 10 months ago

TheGildedGoose wrote:
10 months ago
Sure. I just prefer less busy, more understated art in general, but especially when it comes to Magic cards. I dislike foils and all this digital art. Give me more Legends Nicol Bolas and less Nicol Bolas, God-Pharaoh.
Imagine how cool it would be if they did a proper "retro" set, where all the art would be in the style of 90s :)

TheGildedGoose
HONK HONK

Avacyn Believer wrote:
10 months ago
TheGildedGoose wrote:
10 months ago
Imagine how cool it would be if they did a proper "retro" set, where all the art would be in the style of 90s :)
One can dream. I like that basic lands are getting old art treatment, especially some of the classic John Avons.

Ruiner

Post by Ruiner » 10 months ago

Avacyn Believer wrote:
10 months ago
Can't wait for a set of JNCO jeans wearing planeswalkers that use enchanted wallet chains.

5colorsrainbow

Post by 5colorsrainbow » 10 months ago

Mookie wrote:
10 months ago
hmmmm

1- On Maro blog there had been talks about a Redwall like world which this points too.

2- Many pointed out the imgain is also copyright by MME and the art points to more LOTR stuff

3- The building in the backround and the hydra focus makes me think Theros

4- Looks like a Zendikari vampire so Zendikar

5- The head is a dragon or dinosaur with the feathers making me think dinosaur. This points to Ixalan and this has a bit of Mesoamerica vibes going on and with the bat demons things kind set this into Ixalan.

6- Could be a number of planes or something new. If a return; Innistrad, Ravnica or Capenna if new mystery/noir plane

7- People pointed out its Old Rutstein so Innistrad OR maybe he now found a set of omenpaths to travel around the multiverse

8- Eldraine. The seven heads is kind out there but its laying golden coins and is giant sized playing on the Jack and the Beanstalk story of Jack stealing a hen who lays golden eggs from a giant couple along with the fables of the goose who laid the golden eggs. If not Eldraine only other place it could be would be Ikoria.
“There are no weak Jews. I am descended from those who wrestle angels and kill giants. We were chosen by God. You were chosen by a pathetic little man who can't seem to grow a full mustache"

Sporegorger_Dragon

Post by Sporegorger_Dragon » 10 months ago

5colorsrainbow wrote:
10 months ago
Eldraine. The seven heads is kind out there but its laying golden coins and is giant sized playing on the Jack and the Beanstalk story of Jack stealing a hen who lays golden eggs from a giant couple along with the fables of the goose who laid the golden eggs. If not Eldraine only other place it could be would be Ikoria.
Could this be...

Mother Goose?!
"What's with you and pitcher plants?" -NinjaCaterpie, 27-9-2021

EonAon

Post by EonAon » 10 months ago

Sporegorger_Dragon wrote:
10 months ago
5colorsrainbow wrote:
10 months ago
Eldraine. The seven heads is kind out there but its laying golden coins and is giant sized playing on the Jack and the Beanstalk story of Jack stealing a hen who lays golden eggs from a giant couple along with the fables of the goose who laid the golden eggs. If not Eldraine only other place it could be would be Ikoria.
Could this be...

Mother Goose?!
Man that be kinda Grimm

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”