MCD - artifact based removal

RowanKeltizar
Firemind
Pronoun: he / him

Post by RowanKeltizar » 1 year ago

Looking for some decent artifact based disruption and removal spells.

Single target removal along lines of Dispeller's Capsule, Executioner's Capsule, and Haywire Mite

Card's like Steel Hellkite or Cityscape Leveler I think are pretty solid since they benefit from creature synergies and should see more than one use.

I've always thought Spine of Ish Sah was pretty bad personally.

Mass removal that is actually fast enough to be useful in commander. I am steering away from things like Nevinyrral's Disk or Scourglass which have to sit around for a turn cycle before they can be used.

I think spells like Urza's Sylex and Perilous Vault are much better. Oblivion Stone is an old stand by for this reason.

I like Rod of Absorption quite a bit and I think it could fit in as psuedo removal since it can eat other people's targeted removal spells.
WRBKaalia, Zenith Seeker - Certified Air Raid Material
WBElenda, the Dusk Rose - Drain and Gain
WRAurelia, the Warleader - Tokens/Equipment
URNiv-Mizzet, Parun - Controlled Burn primer
BRGHenzie, "Toolbox" Torre - Creature Feature
BRGSoul of Windgrace - Lands Matter
RGWGishath, Sun's Avatar - I'M YOUR DADDY
GWUBAtraxa, Praetors' Voice - Artifact Stax Beatdown
Budget Starter Decks
UBSygg, River Cutthroat
WU Shorikai, Genesis Engine

Mookie
Answers: 48
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Mookie » 1 year ago

Is there a particular deck you're thinking about?

Beyond the ones you've mentioned, I'm running Angel of the Ruins, Aether Spellbomb, and Pithing Needle in my Sharuum deck (which has a Trinket Mage / Salvaging Station theme).

Duplicant and Meteor Golem are also options, although they're generally outclassed by Cityscape Leveler. Noxious Gearhulk and Necron Deathmark are pretty reasonable though. Argentum Masticore may be worth consideration in certain decks.

I've dabbled with Boompile as a board wipe, but I can't actually recommend it. I'm sort of low on most artifact-based board wipes, since they tend to blow up everything - it's generally preferable to run an asymmetric board wipe like All Is Dust that leaves your artifacts alone. If you do have to run one, Oblivion Stone / Perilous Vault would be my recommendation.

Dunharrow

Post by Dunharrow » 1 year ago

The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme

Ruiner

Post by Ruiner » 1 year ago

Engineered Explosives can do some real work, especially if tokens are a concern.

Ratchet Bomb is a little slower but is probably decent as well. I've never tried this one in a commanded deck before though.

Choices really depend on what colors you have available as well.

PrimevalCommander

Post by PrimevalCommander » 1 year ago

Brittle Effigy I think is still one of the more efficient full colorless removal artifacts.

Unstable Obelisk is expensive, but does stuff if you don't need the removal.

BaronCappuccino
Answers: 1

Post by BaronCappuccino » 1 year ago

I don't really run artifact-based removal these days, because I think Commander has sped up and left them behind. Nevinyrral's Disk still has a place in the classic lock, but I haven't investigated brewing a stax deck in years so I don't know if the lock still has a place there. Steel Hellkite is another I could see using in the right deck - something that could cheat it or plans for dragon-sized creatures. Back in the day, I'd run Spine of Ish Sah, Perilous Vault, and Oblivion Stone. I was mono-black in those days, and I needed enchantment removal. Now, every color has something for everything, and two+ colors is beyond all set. I've also never investigated a colorless commander, so that skews my perspective.

Sinis

Post by Sinis » 1 year ago

I used to play Unstable Obelisk in a lot of decks, but, I think there are enough colour pie bends where you don't have to (cards like Ravenform/Resculpt, or green's ever-increasing quantity/quality of fight cards). Unless you're in monocolour, they don't seem necessary.

That said, I totally run Rod of Absorption in Emry because it can be recurred, and it's let's you kind of copy some of your own things.

tracyberge

Post by tracyberge » 1 year ago

I did some research on Boompile but it left no impression on me. Donkey Kong

Hawk
Slayer of Threads

Post by Hawk » 1 year ago

I like Meteor Golem and Spine of Ish Sah if you can loop them, but they tend to be too slow in the average (non-Daretti) deck imo. I've started finding Duplicant similarly underwhelming. As others have pointed out if you can go big enough for these spells, you can probably afford to go a bit bigger for Cityscape Leveler (budget allowing).

Two shout-outs I haven't seen yet:

Sylvok Replica is mostly worse than Caustic Caterpillar, Haywire Mite, and Reclamation Sage and only at parity with Viridian Zealot but that artifact typeline is of value to someone like Glissa, the Traitor

I really dig Bladegriff Prototype if you are in a Ux or Gx deck that otherwise lacks good removal, especially if you can duplicate it somehow like in Volo, Guide to Monsters.

StevenBaker

Post by StevenBaker » 1 year ago

If the last paper you [REDACTED] failed, there is no reason for disappointment. Instead, you should browse the website and get an opportunity to entrust your academic success to professionals.
Warning issued for spam - benjameenbear

bagpeg

Post by bagpeg » 1 year ago

Both Return to Dust and Krosan Grip are worth running dinosaur game. However, the real question is, why are you not running Aura Shards?

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy
Answers: 1

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 1 year ago

I stand by Aether Spellbomb, Brittle Effigy, Smokestack, and Powder Keg as personal favorites.
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”