White Speculation Play

pokken
Answers: 2
Pronoun: he / him

Post by pokken » 1 year ago

wildfire393 wrote:
1 year ago
This looks like a fairly extensive list, but there's a few things that tie into the strategy that you may have overlooked:

Trove Warden gives you another Sun Titan effect that works particularly well with fetchlands.
Explorer's Scope is just so so good.
Isolated Watchtower is a solid option in mono-colored decks and can be workable in two-colored decks.
Guildless Commons gives you another Karoo
Fetchlands are really a must have because of how they can interact with Sun Titan/Reclamation/Warden and the instant-speed things like Wayfarer, Scope, and Watchtower.
If you've got a suitable density of fetches and nonbasic plains, both Emeria Shepherd and Emeria, the Sky Ruin are great payoffs.
Second Sunrise and Faith's Reward are also capable cards for returning sacked stuff. Maybe not worth it unless you've got the red package.
Aerial Surveyor is another Cartographer's Hawk type.
Oath of Lieges tends to ramp the whole table but this can keep your other ramp online longer.
The new Scholar of New Horizons is A++
Scouting Hawk and Space Marine Scout are other Knight of the White Orchid effects though definitely a little weaker.
Most of that stuff is in my bag :) I don't find Guildless Commons, Explorer's Scope or Isolated Watchtower all that useful for a few reasons but everything else on that list is stuff I'll consider for a package.

I really do have to try Trove Warden in Breena, the Demagogue at some point. it's pretty dope.

Of those I think Second Sunrise and Faith's Reward to be very worth trying, they're just a little awkward to set up. Cosmic Intervention and Brought Back set the bar pretty high but the nice part of sunrise/reward is having some alternate advantages.

wildfire393
Answers: 1

Post by wildfire393 » 1 year ago

pokken wrote:
1 year ago
wildfire393 wrote:
1 year ago
This looks like a fairly extensive list, but there's a few things that tie into the strategy that you may have overlooked:

Trove Warden gives you another Sun Titan effect that works particularly well with fetchlands.
Explorer's Scope is just so so good.
Isolated Watchtower is a solid option in mono-colored decks and can be workable in two-colored decks.
Guildless Commons gives you another Karoo
Fetchlands are really a must have because of how they can interact with Sun Titan/Reclamation/Warden and the instant-speed things like Wayfarer, Scope, and Watchtower.
If you've got a suitable density of fetches and nonbasic plains, both Emeria Shepherd and Emeria, the Sky Ruin are great payoffs.
Second Sunrise and Faith's Reward are also capable cards for returning sacked stuff. Maybe not worth it unless you've got the red package.
Aerial Surveyor is another Cartographer's Hawk type.
Oath of Lieges tends to ramp the whole table but this can keep your other ramp online longer.
The new Scholar of New Horizons is A++
Scouting Hawk and Space Marine Scout are other Knight of the White Orchid effects though definitely a little weaker.
Most of that stuff is in my bag :) I don't find Guildless Commons, Explorer's Scope or Isolated Watchtower all that useful for a few reasons but everything else on that list is stuff I'll consider for a package.

I really do have to try Trove Warden in Breena, the Demagogue at some point. it's pretty dope.

Of those I think Second Sunrise and Faith's Reward to be very worth trying, they're just a little awkward to set up. Cosmic Intervention and Brought Back set the bar pretty high but the nice part of sunrise/reward is having some alternate advantages.
Oh sorry I meant SURVEYOR's Scope, not Explorer's. The possibility of getting a triple ramp on turn 3-4 is just ludicrous, and the lands enter UNTAPPED!

I've definitely had a turn 4 where I've done something like Lotus Vale, crack a fetch hold priority crack Scope, get three lands, Faith's Reward to grab the fetch and sac'd lands back, and now I'm looking at 10 mana going into turn 5.

pokken

Ah, Surveyor's Scope seems reasonable. Might have to check that out.

wildfire393
Answers: 1

Post by wildfire393 » 1 year ago

pokken wrote:
1 year ago
You really need fetches for it to fire on all cylinders, as you can bring yourself down on landcount enough to get the full value very easily, but the payoff is huge. And if you're doing Sun Titan and Cosmic Intervention shenanigans I'm assuming you're on the full fetch contingent anyways.

Probably don't have to tell you, but for anyone else reading: Cosmic Intervention + fetches is ludicrously good. The effect lasts until end of turn but it brings the cards back at the beginning of the next end step. That means that you can cast Intervention, crack a fetch, have the fetch come back at the beginning of the end step, then crack the fetch AGAIN and have it get exiled again, meaning it comes back on the NEXT end step. So you end up turning one fetch into three lands off of just Intervention, which turns it into an Explosive Vegetation at instant speed with added upsides. And if you can ever get 2 or more fetches ready to crack alongside it? It's levels of ramp that would make even a green player blush.

pokken

wildfire393 wrote:
1 year ago
pokken wrote:
1 year ago
You really need fetches for it to fire on all cylinders, as you can bring yourself down on landcount enough to get the full value very easily, but the payoff is huge. And if you're doing Sun Titan and Cosmic Intervention shenanigans I'm assuming you're on the full fetch contingent anyways.

Probably don't have to tell you, but for anyone else reading: Cosmic Intervention + fetches is ludicrously good. The effect lasts until end of turn but it brings the cards back at the beginning of the next end step. That means that you can cast Intervention, crack a fetch, have the fetch come back at the beginning of the end step, then crack the fetch AGAIN and have it get exiled again, meaning it comes back on the NEXT end step. So you end up turning one fetch into three lands off of just Intervention, which turns it into an Explosive Vegetation at instant speed with added upsides. And if you can ever get 2 or more fetches ready to crack alongside it? It's levels of ramp that would make even a green player blush.
My best sequence so far with fetch ramp for Breena was with *3* uncracked fetches on turn 4 thanks to Brought Back. Untapping with like 13 lands or some nonsense.

Brought Back is not *quite* as explosive but it sequences a lot more safely; you just hold your fetches to turn 2 and it's Explosive Vegetation for WW

Chromaticus
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Chromaticus » 1 year ago

Are you talking about Surveyor's Scope ? Explorer's Scope seems like draft chaff.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”