[mtgnexus] Random Card of the Day - Rishkar, Peema Renegade

3drinks
Kaalia's Personal Liaison
Pronoun: he / him

Post by 3drinks » 2 years ago

TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
2 years ago
EDIT: @3drinks what a string of heavy hitters here lately. Have you been oddly lucky, or are you trying to stir up the conversation? Lest we all forget, the most controversial magic card is obviously chromatic lantern.
Sometimes. Often I end up sifting through a butt ton of tokens, UN cards, planes, schemes, and limited junk so when I see one big card come up it's almost a sigh of relief. I've definitely spent ten minutes trying to get a card worth taking about though.
Steel Sabotage'ng Orbs of Mellowness since 2011.

I collect Kaalia of the Vast normal-size cards. Do you have any extra taking up space in your binder? Help me grow my collection! :)

WBRKaalia HQ WBR

Treamayne
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Treamayne » 2 years ago

DirkGently wrote:
2 years ago
I've hardly ever played it. I guess I've also never built an artifact deck either since I don't really find type-specific strategies very interesting. But unless you're going all-in on artifacts or you're playing mono-brown it's hard to justify imo.
This - but then on MTGO it's not very expensive (1 tix) and I play it in Mono Brown Golems and Sydri Vehicles. It does well there and other lands are usually more threatening and eat the random removal. . .
V/R

Treamayne

Vertierer
Kabbalisten-Schatzmeister

Post by Vertierer » 2 years ago

Played it and Bazaar in Vintage, but they don't do anything for my playstyle in EDH, as they neither are Blood Artists, nor do they start the game with an insult, kill every Elf, never block (well... ^^) and finish the opponent with burn to the face.
The mills of god grind slowly

benjameenbear

Post by benjameenbear » 2 years ago

When I was able to squeeze a game with Osgir (a long time ago), it turns out that Workshop-ing into a Trinisphere is still really good. The fact that I did this at a cEDH-adjacent table was *chef's kiss*. I think it was T5 before any other player except me actually played a spell. So good.

Otherwise, there were a LOT of times that Workshop was actively dead weight for mana generation. It's just a bit too niche for decks with colors in it imo.

3drinks

Tuesday, April 26th, 2022; Mistveil Plains

I collect Kaalia of the Vast normal-size cards. Do you have any extra taking up space in your binder? Help me grow my collection! :)

WBRKaalia HQ WBR

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 2 years ago

Had this in and out of Ephara probably 3 times. It's very good, but it enters tapped and the permanent rider oddly enough has gotten me a few times.

Most of what it does is set up Spellseeker loops in my experience.

BeneTleilax

Post by BeneTleilax » 2 years ago

I've mostly seen this in Sunforger and Recruiter/___ of Eos loops, but yeah, this is basically only played to loop things with tutors in my experience. It feels like the sort of card that would be insufferable if it weren't white, but white usually lags just enough in untap nonsense, ramp and draw to prevent people searching and shuffling more than once a turn cycle with this. Time will tell if this becomes obnoxious as White improves.
Last edited by BeneTleilax 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

Guardman
A Dog's Dream of Man

Post by Guardman » 2 years ago

I've always wanted to build a spirit EDH deck using Tallowisp, Weight of Conscience, and Mistveil Plains to loop creature removal each turn. Will it be good? Probably not. Will I enjoy playing it. Hell Yeah! The only question is which commander to use. The two I've come up with are Quintorius, Field Historian, since he has a ton of synergies with Tallowisp and Mistveil Plains, and Rocco, Cabaretti Caterer, since Tallowisp can be your secret commander.

Off track, but honestly, I just want them to make a legendary version of Tallowisp. It's one of my favorite cards and I would play the **** out of it.

Also, one thing that is really nice (and a lot of people seem to miss) is it is a plains, which makes it easily fetchable and takes away a lot of the drawback of entering the battlefield tapped.

materpillar
the caterpillar

Post by materpillar » 2 years ago

A vital cornerstone of my Tivadar of Thorn deck. If anyone knows another way to loop Shields of Velis Vel in mono-W I'd love to know it.

Having the plains subtype makes tutoring for this pretty easy too.

hyalopterouslemur

Post by hyalopterouslemur » 2 years ago

materpillar wrote:
2 years ago
A vital cornerstone of my Tivadar of Thorn deck. If anyone knows another way to loop Shields of Velis Vel in mono-W I'd love to know it.
Lin Sivvi, Defiant Hero is kind of odd, and can loop any creatures or tribals with changeling. But she can't search for them directly. (Though she can search for Bound in Silence.) Though it's just rebels, not all cards.

Anyway, this is cute. It's always good, something not readily apparent about the rest of the cycle. I have used Madblind Mountain to good effect in decks with Sylvan Library so that even when I can't simply draw all three or use a ramp spell to shuffle or Mulch or Lead the Stampede or some such to just burn through the top X number of cards of my library. And Moonring Island can be good with things like clash, but it's usually not that great. Leaving Leechridden Swamp, which has some Stax value but there are better ways to do that. And Sapseep Forest as the lifegain one. Not bad per se, but green doesn't really utilize lifegain as much as white and black.
Thanks to Feyd_Ruin for the avatar!

Mookie
Answers: 48

Post by Mookie » 2 years ago

As others have called out, Mistveil Plains is best with tutor engines like Sunforger. The fact that you can fetch it off Tithe makes that synergy conveniently self-contained. If you're not running tutors to fetch whatever you tuck, it goes way down in value - you're unlikely to ever see the card again, so it isn't worth playing the tapped land. On the flip side, the more fetches / Plains tutors you have that can fetch up Mistveil Plains, the better it will be - if you can fetch it up when you don't need an untapped land, the opportunity cost is lower.

....I have considered it for my Samut deck as a potential win condition alongside Hermit Druid, but I unfortunately don't run enough white permanents to consistently have it online. Still, I do like the cycle, even if it isn't particularly powerful - fetchable utility lands are sweet, and I'd like to see more. (I will note the existence of Idyllic Grange, but... not a particularly powerful card)

3drinks

Wednesday, April 27th, 2022; Diabolic Revelation

WBRKaalia HQ WBR

BeneTleilax

Post by BeneTleilax » 2 years ago

Gets your entire combo AND counterspell backup.

Dunharrow

Post by Dunharrow » 2 years ago

I hate that at 5 mana you don't actually get a card. 6 mana tutor is terrible. But if you can routinely put 8-10 mana in here it's crazy.
I have it in my mono black deck since it makes so much mana.
The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme

hyalopterouslemur

Post by hyalopterouslemur » 2 years ago

Six mana, so not a fan. I don't play Increasing Ambition, why would I play this?
Thanks to Feyd_Ruin for the avatar!

pokken

I just don't ever want to get to the critical mass of tutors that I play stuff like this.

Rumpy5897
Tuner of Jank

Post by Rumpy5897 » 2 years ago

pokken wrote:
2 years ago
I just don't ever want to get to the critical mass of tutors that I play stuff like this.
Ouch, right in the Daxos :P To be fair, that deck is up to running seven tutors somehow, so point taken. I do end up using them on big mana lands quite often, so there's that at least?

Revelation is a recent include in that deck, as it resolves a particular gameplay problem the deck tended to encounter - getting to a respectable mana total but lacking means to try to end the game. Once this gets used, it tends to find Serra's Sanctum + Trap Rock for an insane burst of mana, further amplified by Skybind, and a Teferi's Protection in case anybody gets silly. This tends to win me the game once I untap, and it's honestly weirdly strong. I've ran Razaketh in the list for years, and Revelation honestly feels stronger. Yeah you lose the reactive prowess/subsequent tutoring power, but the efficiency tends to make up for it in the moment when you're reaching out to it.

EDH Primers (click me!)
Deck is Kill Club
Show
Hide

pokken

Rumpy5897 wrote:
2 years ago

Ouch, right in the Daxos :P To be fair, that deck is up to running seven tutors somehow, so point taken. I do end up using them on big mana lands quite often, so there's that at least?

Revelation is a recent include in that deck, as it resolves a particular gameplay problem the deck tended to encounter - getting to a respectable mana total but lacking means to try to end the game. Once this gets used, it tends to find Serra's Sanctum + Trap Rock for an insane burst of mana, further amplified by Skybind, and a Teferi's Protection in case anybody gets silly. This tends to win me the game once I untap, and it's honestly weirdly strong. I've ran Razaketh in the list for years, and Revelation honestly feels stronger. Yeah you lose the reactive prowess/subsequent tutoring power, but the efficiency tends to make up for it in the moment when you're reaching out to it.
"one card win the game with eleventy mana" is usually pretty good in big mana decks, I can see that. Bad Tooth and Nail is probably good enough in Orzhov decks :)

Mookie
Answers: 48

Post by Mookie » 2 years ago

I could see playing Diabolic Revelation in a Zaxara, the Exemplary deck... but other than that, it's a bit too expensive to justify in most decks. You need a lot of mana to make it worth casting (usually for at least X = 3 or 4), and even more mana if you want to be able to cast those spells immediately. Simultaneously, if you are producing that much mana (off Cabal Coffers or a mana doubler, most likely), then I think it compares poorly to more direct finishers like Exsanguinate, Torment of Hailfire, and Rise of the Dark Realms. Hmmmm....

Igzex

Post by Igzex » 2 years ago

You are probably going to be horribly killed by everyone at the table before you get to untap after casting this but man this card must feel like a power trip to resolve. Also I'm pretty sure they already did exactly that flavor text with Night's Whisper.

3drinks

I know I've flashbacked my fair share of Increasing Ambitions, but idk just how hard up I'd have to be to run this as well.

WBRKaalia HQ WBR

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

Post by RxPhantom » 2 years ago

I have this in an old Kaalia of the Vast deck I haven't updated in years, mainly because most of my other tutors were in other decks.
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 5/26/24 (Modern Horizons III)

Sinis

Post by Sinis » 2 years ago

3drinks wrote:
2 years ago
Wednesday, April 27th, 2022; Diabolic Revelation
I want to like this card, but it's so tremendously inefficient.
3drinks wrote:
2 years ago
I know I've flashbacked my fair share of Increasing Ambitions, but idk just how hard up I'd have to be to run this as well.
I want to like this card, too, but it's just so tremendously inefficient.

3drinks

Thursday, April 28th, 2022; Thousand-Year Storm

DoN't WoRrY gUyS iT's JuSt A bAtTlEcRuIsEr DeCk!

WBRKaalia HQ WBR

Dragoon

Post by Dragoon » 2 years ago

3drinks wrote:
2 years ago
DoN't WoRrY gUyS iT's JuSt A bAtTlEcRuIsEr DeCk!
That card requires you to chain cheap instants and sorceries during a single turn, which sounds like the antithesis of battlecruiser in my mind. That guy has to be lying, everybody gang up on him! :P

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”