[mtgnexus] Random Card of the Day - Rishkar, Peema Renegade

Mookie
Answers: 48
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Mookie » 2 years ago

World Shaper is sweet. There are a lot of ways in green to get lands back from the graveyard - Life from the Loam, Splendid Reclamation, Ramunap Excavator, etc. World Shaper is somewhat unique in that it fuels itself, dumping lands (and other cards) into the graveyard to later recur. I run a return-land-from-graveyard package in my Tasigur deck, and it works quite well there. World Shaper is probably one of the weaker effects due to its delayed nature, but if you have any creature synergies (or just a sac outlet), it looks better. Personally, I'm running it for the dream scenario of having it out when I resolve a Death Cloud.

One thing I'll call out is that this type of effect scales in an entirely different way from normal land-based ramp - the standard rate for four mana is two lands (Explosive Vegetation), but if you fuel World Shaper / Splendid Reclamation, you can get waaaay more value from them. If you're running fetchlands / cycling lands / Strip Mine / self-mill / looting effects, it's trivially easy to dump a lot of lands in the graveyard, which can represent a lot more ramp than normal effects. On the other hand, they usually won't be live until later in the game - you won't get much value if you're casting them on turns 3 or 4 in most games. As a result, I don't know if I would count them as a ramp slot unless I was playing a grindy deck that expected the game to go long... which most graveyard-based decks tend to be.
umtiger wrote:
2 years ago
World Shaper and Splendid Reclamation are pretty good with fetchlands…or is it just that everything is good with fetchlands?
The latter.

umtiger

Post by umtiger » 2 years ago

Mookie wrote:
2 years ago
umtiger wrote:
2 years ago
World Shaper and Splendid Reclamation are pretty good with fetchlands…or is it just that everything is good with fetchlands?
The latter.
Well, yeah.

Too many people complain about RL and duals when fetchlands are actually the costly lands you need to have.

When everything works right with World Shaper and fetches, it's so gross.

Serenade
UnderKing
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Serenade » 2 years ago

So lands are sacred, we shouldn't kill or harm lands in any way (unless we do it ourselves for gain…)…what do you use to defend against lands decks? I think GY hate helps. Is Confounding Conundrum a good enough card to throw into any deck?
Mirri, Cat Warrior counts as a Cat Warrior.

Sinis

Post by Sinis » 2 years ago

umtiger wrote:
2 years ago
Too many people complain about RL and duals when fetchlands are actually the costly lands you need to have.
Hard agree. Fetchlands give way more of an advantage than duals card for card. On a dollar basis, OG Duals aren't worth buying to improve decks in any direction.

Mookie

Sinis wrote:
2 years ago
umtiger wrote:
2 years ago
Hard agree. Fetchlands give way more of an advantage than duals card for card. On a dollar basis, OG Duals aren't worth buying to improve decks in any direction.
I'll note that OG duals also have much better budget replacements than fetchlands - they can be replaced by you can replace them with shocklands with almost no loss in functionality. If you're willing to suffer a bit of loss of functionality, you can also substitute them with tangos, cyclers, triomes, or snow duals. On the other hand, fetchlands have a lot fewer options for replacements - the best ones are Fabled Passage and Prismatic Vista, but those aren't that budget, and have a significant drop in functionality due to only fetching basics. After that, you're forced to be using even weaker options, like Terramorphic Expanse and Evolving Wilds.

I'll also note that basic-land-typed-cards have diminishing value in multiples - their primary use case is often to be fetched with fetchlands, or a similar effect like Krosan Verge. After you have one or two fetchable targets, you don't need many more, since your fixing has been taken care of and you can just fetch basics in the future.

On the other hand, fetchlands tend to make you want to run more fetchlands - if you have enough of them, it becomes much more appealing to run cards like World Shaper... and if you're running a bunch of land recursion, you want more fetchlands, creating a strong feedback loop. There can be a feedback loop if you're running something like Emeria, the Sky Ruin or Cabal Coffers that encourages a specific land type, but the fact that you can just run more basics to enable them (plus there being significantly fewer of card with this synergy) means that the feedback loop for basic-land-typed cards is much weaker.

3drinks
Kaalia's Personal Liaison

Post by 3drinks » 2 years ago

Monday, July 5th, 2021; Galazeth Prismari

Steel Sabotage'ng Orbs of Mellowness since 2011.

I collect Kaalia of the Vast normal-size cards. Do you have any extra taking up space in your binder? Help me grow my collection! :)

WBRKaalia HQ WBR

Serenade
UnderKing

I thought we were not supposed to talk about spoilers in other threads, so I'll generally say AFR playing with treasures probably will be good for this guy.

I kinda want to cast him then Strike It Rich then flashback it. That's it. That's the turn.

Kenjiblade
Answers: 4

Post by Kenjiblade » 2 years ago

Galazeth is from Strixhaven, though, and thus not a spoiler? Unless you were referring to something else.

Anyway, Galazeth's pretty good, and I like him as an alternative to Urza for making your Treasures into mana rocks, essentially. Seems like good, clean fun for a Izz...err, *Prismari* deck looking to save up to cast big, splashy spells.

Serenade
UnderKing

Yep, referring to a lot of new cards in AFR.

umtiger

Post by umtiger » 2 years ago

Serenade wrote:
2 years ago
So lands are sacred, we shouldn't kill or harm lands in any way (unless we do it ourselves for gain…)…what do you use to defend against lands decks? I think GY hate helps. Is Confounding Conundrum a good enough card to throw into any deck?
With World Shaper specifically, you can use graveyard hate. But in general, graveyard hate has large collateral damage with land strategies too.

If you can get around Glacial Chasm, attack them right away. You cannot sit and durdle because they will durdle better and never miss a land drop.

Also, unless they choose to run things like Boseiju, counter magic is strong against them because counter magic tend to cost less than the haymakers.

Igzex

Post by Igzex » 2 years ago

The Strixhaven Elder dragons are a weird inverse of the Tarkir ones. While the Tarkir ones are solid in the 99 but make for horrible commanders, the Strixhaven ones all feel like their intended to be the commanders of their own decks. Though I feel Prismari has a bit of an inferiority complex towards Jhoira, Weatherlight Captain...

3drinks

Isn't strixhaven already released? I've seen the prereleases and singles available for sale. And spoiler season is on d&d...

I collect Kaalia of the Vast normal-size cards. Do you have any extra taking up space in your binder? Help me grow my collection! :)

WBRKaalia HQ WBR

illakunsaa

Post by illakunsaa » 2 years ago

I thought it would be funny to play galazeth Exhaustion tribal but there aren't that many similiar effects. Maybe something like Twiddle + winter orb could work.

Mookie

Galazeth Prismari is fine - it compares a bit poorly to Urza, Lord High Artificer. You lose the mana sink, can only use the mana on instants and sorceries, and get a treasure token instead of a massive beater. Still, that isn't necessarily a bad place to be - Urza is sort of absurd. I'd usually lean towards Urza in the 99, but as a commander, getting access to another color is pretty relevant - UR opens up a lot of synergies for both artifacts and instants/sorceries, and balancing between the two is somewhat tricky, compared to a commander that can just go all-in on one of them.

....I suppose Galazeth does have the redeeming feature of presenting less of a threat than Urza, so you probably won't draw as much hate. On the other hand, if you're doing Winter Orb / Static Orb nonsense, you do deserve all the hate that comes your way.

Anyway, I'll also note that Galazeth seems sweet as a commander for a treasure-focused deck. You do lose access to Revel in Riches though, so I'm not sure what the payoff would be.

hyalopterouslemur

Post by hyalopterouslemur » 2 years ago

Just think of fhe Comet Storms you can make. And always having mana for counters.
Thanks to Feyd_Ruin for the avatar!

3drinks

Tuesday, July 6th, 2021; Avoid Fate

There's got to be some reason this is a $7 card...

WBRKaalia HQ WBR

onering
Answers: 1

Post by onering » 2 years ago

It's is strange isn't it? It used to be very unique, as one of the few green spells that could deal with removal outside of anti green/black hate. There are better options out there now. While it's novel to see a green counter spell, any instant speed hexproof granter de facto is a counter spell against targeted spells and abilities.

One unique thing is that the only other green instant that can protect permanents you control, instead of just creatures, is the vastly superior Heroic Intervention. This means that mono green decks in the market for something that protects artifacts, planeswalkers, enchantments, and lands from instants and auras and want a second copy beyond Heroic Intervention can make use of this. It's a very niche need, but I can see it being enough to combine with it's relative scarcity and the novelty of a green counter spell to push the price up.

Hawk
Slayer of Threads

Post by Hawk » 2 years ago

I mentioned recently over in EDHRECs in an article that I generally don't enjoy Turn Aside and Keep Safe since they don't stop so many critical spells even in creature-heavy decks (namely, they don't stop most sweepers). On the one hand, Avoid Fate is even more narrow than that! On the other, it is green, whereas Turn/Keep are competing with real counters like Counterspell and Arcane Denial and Negate.

I suspect this is at $6 due to price memory from a time when it was the only game in town for a Gx deck without blue to protect their investments (or even from that time where Heroic Intervention was a $15 card, not that it is much better now). This is still more budget-friendly than Intervention, but if you are on a budget $6 is a lot for such narrow hate. You can get all the benefits of this card and then some from Snakeskin Veil, Blossoming Defense, Ranger's Guile, and newcomer Wild Shape. Sylvan Safekeeper and Withstand Death are also okay, and there's Blinding Fog and Inspiring Call for some team-wide protection. I'd be looking at all of those cards for a voltron-y Gx deck, nevermind that ever color except maybe Red add even more options to fizzle removal.

Heck, for a newish Green Stompy player this is competing price-wise now with Lightning Greaves and Swiftfoot Boots and those are also getting a look from me before I added this or spent money on it.

materpillar
the caterpillar

Post by materpillar » 2 years ago

I just through together a Rhonas the Indomitable deck. I put this in there as protection for him ontop of other 1cc green protection spells that do basically the same thing.

Sinis

Post by Sinis » 2 years ago

3drinks wrote:
2 years ago
Tuesday, July 6th, 2021; Avoid Fate

There's got to be some reason this is a $7 card...
Probably price memory on a card only printed in Legends and Time Spiral. c.f. Darkness.

folding_music
glitter pen on my mana crypt
Pronoun: they / them

Post by folding_music » 2 years ago

I don't think Legends prices will ever go down again giggle. I want some Walls of Putrid Flesh for a mini casual league but people just charge what they like for 'em
I think Avoid Fate's cute though. Underpowered, but usually does something in a game that surprises the opponent more than it ever could if you had an untapped island. I like mixing up playables too, staples stultify, I wish they'd print a spell like Avoid Fate but it also dealt 40 damage to everyone who controlled Lightning Greaves

3drinks

Wednesday, July 7th, 2021; Avatar of Slaughter

I know I've reanimated this guy a time or two. Sure he's still got a home somewhere......

WBRKaalia HQ WBR

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy
Answers: 1

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 2 years ago

This is one of those symmetrical things that demands you win right now or die to the crackback. I dig the design, I like the liability it represents a whole lot less.
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

Serenade
UnderKing

It was SO MUCH fun speculating on this guy when they first announced the Commander product. Everyone thought the art meant he was a RBW general.

Yeah, loved the double-edge on him. He never lived long.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”