What are you picking up from Kaldheim?

pokken
Answers: 2
Pronoun: he / him

Post by pokken » 3 years ago

While there's a lot of stuff I like I am only maintaining Ephara at the moment. I will definitely be getting a Glorious Protector for her, and a Reidane, God of the Worthy though I am not sure I will play that.

I am thinking really hard about making a snow Lands themed deck with minimal creatures using Jorn, God of Winter // Kaldring, the Rimestaff and mostly using the kaldring side to play stuff from my bin. And lots of land untapping effects. But I'll probably talk myself out of it :P

SocorroTortoise
Not A Turtle

Post by SocorroTortoise » 3 years ago

I don't have anything that's a sure include in either of my permanent lists at this point, just a few things that I'm interested in testing out someday in the far future when I actually get out to play again.

Jaya Ballard, Task Mage
Birgi, God of Storytelling (mostly for the backside)

Estrid, the Masked
I'll also grab a number of other things for my more general collection, though those don't have definite homes yet. I'm pretty tempted to rebuild elves of some flavor to play around with the new tribal goodies.
[Pr]Jaya | Estrid | A rotating cast of decks built out of my box

Mookie
Answers: 48
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Mookie » 3 years ago

I'll preface this list by noting that I haven't been playing much recently, and already have a huge backlog of cards to test out, so the odds of me actually getting any of these cards is somewhat lower. Simultaneously, I tend to avoid more expensive cards, so ignoring prices for now. Anyway, things I find interesting:

Dunharrow

Post by Dunharrow » 3 years ago

Doomskar will go into a couple decks
Tergrid, God of Fright in a couple decks - I have a lot of decks that would benefit from this.
Birgi, God of Storytelling will be tested in a few places.
Snow duals in my two color decks. Pathways in a bunch of decks.

Sidar Kondo of Jamuraa + blue partner (which might change to one from Legends)
Reidane, God of the Worthy
Toski, Bearer of Secrets

Sydri, Galvanic Genius vehicles
Cosima, God of the Voyage (The Omenkeel)

Reyhan, Last of the Abzan + Ishai, Ojutai Dragonspeaker
Mystic Reflection : Yes, I would like my Hangarback Walker tokens to all be kalonian Hydras. Actually need to make sure I have enough non-legendary targets.

The Ur-Dragon
Reflections of Littjara
Goldspan Dragon : This deck already has a bit of treasure going on so this will be great.
Esika, God of the Tree I think will be good in this.

Rakdos, Lord of Riots
Burning-Rune Demon
Maybe Tyrite Sanctum

Tribal Spirits Karador, Ghost Chieftain
Haunting Voyage
Maybe some other tribal stuff

Mogis, God of Slaughter will be switched for Tibalt Valki, God of Lies

Ayli, Eternal Pilgrim
Kaya the Inexorable
The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme

materpillar
the caterpillar

Post by materpillar » 3 years ago

Golos - Worst Mana Curve
Icebreaker Kraken - Not sure what to cut for this though... maybe Akroma, Angel of Wrath or Nicol Bolas, Planeswalker but those cards are way more nostalgic. Hrm.
The World Tree → just as cheap mana fixing. You'd think there'd be a god that costs 9+ mana... but nope

Golos - Non-infinite Storm
Birgi, God of Storytelling - This deck is primarily green so it might not be good enough. Probably give it a test though.

Tivadar Slayer of Goblins
Search for Glory - Another way to tutor Ardenn, Intrepid Archaeologist? Yes please... I'll probably make this deck have snow just for Scrying Sheets

Jaya Ballard
Tibalt's Trickery

Lasav
Port of Karfell

The Ur-Dragon
For sure
The World Tree, Maskwood Nexus, Glimpse the Cosmos, Mistwalker, Magda, Brazen Outlaw, Guardian Gladewalker, Masked Vandal, Tyrite Sanctum
Maybes
Realmwalker, Moritte of the Frost, Bloodline Pretender, Reflections of Littjara, The Bears of Littjara, Bounty of Skemfar

Sinis

Post by Sinis » 3 years ago

I bought almost everything. Showcases of all the gods.

Liesa, Shroud of Dusk: I'm going to play with the new angel-tribal cards; Rampage of the Valkyries, Firja's Retribution, Valkyrie Harbinger, Righteous Valkyrie, and Eradicator Valkyrie. I expect some of these will be fun.

New deck - Esika, God of the Tree: I don't really know what I'm going to build with this. Probably some god oriented deck around the The World Tree. I just like the look of these cards. I expect there will be plenty of showcase gods in here.

I'm in the middle of a big move, so, I can't really commit to making more than this, or even playing the cards I bought.

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 3 years ago

I definitely want a couple of Search for Glorys and Rise of the Dread Marn. Even Rise probably won't see play in Varina, Lich Queen where it fits most naturally, but its still a decent card I'd like a copy of. Perhaps Burning-Rune Demon, and Kardur, Doomscourge, for Blim, Comedic Genius. I'll probably try to pick up a ton of the common snow duals, too.

Other than that, this set wasn't really for me.

Oh, Doomskar. Pretty good card, worth having a couple copies. And Ravenform.

And I'll maybe pick up some changeling tech because you never know when it'll be handy. Orvar, the All-Form looks neat too, so maybe. Maybe this set was for me after all!
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

Post by RxPhantom » 3 years ago

I'm not all that excited about this set. Maybe Halvar, God of Battle // Sword of the Realms in Kemba, Kha Regent. Or Rise of the Dread Marn in Lord of Tresserhorn's death trigger bonanza deck. Maybe my lack of excitement comes from not playing in ages, and my enthusiasm for Magic in general is depleted.
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 5/26/24 (Modern Horizons III)

UnfulfilledDesires
Pronoun: they / them

Post by UnfulfilledDesires » 3 years ago

I've hardly played so far during the pandemic, but I keep intending to & try to maintain various lists.

A little while back I decided to shift my Scion of the Ur-Dragon deck over to The Ur-Dragon to reduce shuffling. I'm most excited for Kaldheim pickups there: Goldspan Dragon, Immersturm Predator, Moritte of the Frost, Magda, Brazen Outlaw, & The World Tree.

The Sol'kanar the Swamp King list I'm developing as a part of a ten-commander set from the original Legends wants Burning-Rune Demon. It's Demon tribal & reanimator.

Birgi, God of Storytelling goes in Jaya Ballard, Task Mage for sure. Same for Tibault's Trickery. I'll likely also want a copy of Trickery for Korvold, Fae-Cursed King.

Esika, God of the Tree intrigues me, but the last thing I need is another deck & I don't particularly want to replace any of my five current five-color commanders.

The same goes for Jorn, God of Winter. I'm tempted to make a Stax/Prison list with Stasis. I already have an Estrid, the Masked deck with a lockout plan, so this seems redundant. We'll see if I succumb to temptation.

There are more cards that caught my eye, but those are the ones that come quickly to mind.

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 3 years ago

Oooh. Toski, Bearer of Secrets is pretty great too. Not sure where it'll go but I want one anyway.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

capitacommunist

Post by capitacommunist » 3 years ago

For my main deck, Mardu artifacts, not too much in this set sadly. Only Birgi, God of Storytelling I will test I think.
I'm excited about building Valki/Tibalt though, they seem quite open-ended, and viable for a rakdos control deck. Magda, Brazen Outlaw, Toralf, God of Fury also seems fun.
Outside of those I'll be picking up Glorious Protector, Mystic Reflection, Tibalt's Trickery, Realmwalker, Goldspan Dragon, Ravenform, pathway lands and snowduals, and a number of the rare sagas and uncommon utility lands. Especially Showdown of the Skalds and Firja's Retribution are very cool, but a lot of them are playable in their color combinations,
I like that although there are quite some playable cards in this set, most of them are more good in a specific niche than in most decks, which makes for more interesting deck building.

cheonice
Death to Chronos.

Post by cheonice » 3 years ago

I'm not sure this set is for me. It looks fun, creative, sparks many new ideas, but... I just don't know yet.

Nontheless:
Glorious Protector - Yep, that's an auto-include for Ephara, God of the Polis! And I'm not waiting for the price to jump, so - for the first time in my life - I preordered.
Ravenform and Masked Vandal - Good stuff is good, I guess? I'm really intrigued with the vandal, looks like a really solid alternative to Reclamation Sage.
Toski, Bearer of Secrets and Esika's Chariot - they don't have a deck jet, but come on - they are cute as hell.
I got me some Snow-Covered Basics, too, and two of each Snow Dual. They will find a place in so many decks! Hopefully we get some new kind of budget fetchies in the near future?

Hawk
Slayer of Threads

Post by Hawk » 3 years ago

I had a novel written and then realized no one, not even I, wanted to read it. The truth is, like Mookie said, I haven't attended a LGS event or purchased a meaningful amount of product since Theros: Beyond Death, and I've plummeted from playing 1-2 games of Commander per week in 2019 to 1-2 games per quarter in 2020. That isn't looking to change super soon, probably not until summer, and at this point the list of "good stuff" is quite long and very little of whats in this set is as bonkers as some of the stuff I've left on the table from Zendikar Rising and Commander Legends.

I will likely seek out playsets of Ravenform and Masked Vandal, as I anticipate them finding homes in many decks.
If I luck into some of the exciting mythics and rares, I'll give them a crack especially Vorinclex, Monstrous Raider. But I would have a hard time justifying spending cash on cards I so rarely get to use these days, and nothing from this set feels the same level as transformative as Deadly Rollick, War Room, Valakut Awakening // Valakut Stoneforge, etc have felt (and most of those I'm still on 0-1 copy of, so...)

I am at least vaguely interested in Jorn, God of Winter // Kaldring, the Rimestaff, possibly replacing Gitrog Frog as my "landfall-y" deck, and have found Pir and Toothy so obnoxious that I may also consider Moritte of the Frost Clones and Counters as my new simic deck as a "downgrade" in power but "upgrade" in fun, but it'll be a long while until I go out of my way to seek them out especially with Malcolm, Keen-Eyed Navigator and Breeches, Brazen Plunderer pirate.dec still calling to me.

UnfulfilledDesires
Pronoun: they / them

Post by UnfulfilledDesires » 3 years ago

Sigrid, God-Favored looks solid for my Ephara, God of the Polis deck. It avoids blink effect to minimize nonbos with Containment Priest, as well as to avoid redundancy with other decks that have blink themes, so I don't want Glorious Protector.

Outcryqq

Post by Outcryqq » 3 years ago

My rares/mythic wants from this set: 1 of each god, 1 starheim unleashed, 1 haunting voyage, 1 quakebringer, 1 orvar, 1 gold span dragon, 1 doomskar, 1 kraken, 4 tibalts trickery, 4 search for glory, 4 dream devourer, 1 cosmos charger, 4 in search of greatness, 2 mystic reflection, 2 reflections of littjara, 1 draugr necromancer, 1 rise of the dread marn, 2 realmwalker, 1 toski, 1 niko, 1 koma, 1 immersturm predator, 1 sarulf, 2 maskwood nexus, 4 pyre of heroes, 4 world tree, 2 sanctum, 4 of each pathway.

3drinks
Kaalia's Personal Liaison

Post by 3drinks » 3 years ago

I'm really only interested in the boast - spawn a dragon dude and boast - kinda daemonic tutour dudes. Well that's not true, the angel with free recursion and the hexproof from walkers ones are pretty solid, as is Goldspan Dragon. I'm really building solely within the Zenith Seeker deck space.

For you Skred players, Frost Bite is roughly as strong with a much higher floor in exchange for a lower ceiling. Not being able to dust x/6s for r sucks, but you're still dusting a number of obnoxious non-Urza commanders with this spell if you just stop and think for a moment what creatures you actually both run into and know need to go at your average commander games.
Steel Sabotage'ng Orbs of Mellowness since 2011.

I collect Kaalia of the Vast normal-size cards. Do you have any extra taking up space in your binder? Help me grow my collection! :)

WBRKaalia HQ WBR

Sinis

3drinks wrote:
3 years ago
I'm really only interested in the boast - spawn a dragon dude and boast - kinda daemonic tutour dudes. Well that's not true, the angel with free recursion and the hexproof from walkers ones are pretty solid, as is Goldspan Dragon. I'm really building solely within the Zenith Seeker deck space.

For you Skred players, Frost Bite is roughly as strong with a much higher floor in exchange for a lower ceiling. Not being able to dust x/6s for r sucks, but you're still dusting a number of obnoxious non-Urza commanders with this spell if you just stop and think for a moment what creatures you actually both run into and know need to go at your average commander games.
Goldspan dragon is just Krark-Clan Ironworks with wings, change my mind.

Frost Bite isn't really good enough, IMO. We could have just been playing Lightning Bolt, Dead // Gone, Chain Lightning and Strafe. Maybe even Sunlance.

I don't mean to dump on your choices (I actually think the dragon is acceptable), but, Frost Bite doesn't strike me as it.

Serenade
UnderKing

Post by Serenade » 3 years ago

I think there are a lot of worthwhile foretell B and U cards, with a few decent ones in other colors. I plan to try them out in decks with excess upkeep mana (Thran Turbine or Braid of Fire in Charix, the Raging Isle or Nin, the Pain Artist).
Mirri, Cat Warrior counts as a Cat Warrior.

Dunharrow

Post by Dunharrow » 3 years ago

Drafted Kaya, where she was amazing
But her into Brawl, amazing

Kaya is going to do really well in Ayli, Eternal Pilgrim. Love the synergy with Deathrender.

Have to say that Draugr Necromancer is also pretty cool. You have to play snow lands with it. Trying to think if there are any effects like this out there. Not sure what deck I would put this into... something with a lot of Grave Pacts I guess.
The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme

Zerro
Tweaker of Decks

Post by Zerro » 3 years ago

Before I went over the full spoilers I thought that I wasnt excited for this set but the number of cards that I have listed that I want show otherwise.

Neheb, the Eternal
Birgi, God of Storytelling // Harnfel, Horn of Bounty
Toralf, God of Fury // Toralf's Hammer
Quakebringer

Excited for all of these honestly. Hopefully they work like i believe they will!

Ephara, God of the Polis
Glorious Protector
Hengegate Pathway // Mistgate Pathway
Righteous Valkyrie

Glorious Protector will be a protection card for the deck while Hengegate Pathway // Mistgate Pathway just to make mana flow a bit easier in the two color deck. I am a bit skeptical of Righteous Valkyrie but my deck has quite a bit of lifegain and a good number of Angels and Clerics. The cost is very alluring as well

Akiri, Line-Slinger & Tymna the Weaver
Halvar, God of Battle // Sword of the Realms
Cosmos Elixir
Seize the Spoils

Halvar, God of Battle // Sword of the Realms seems to just be a good card for the deck. Free Equips on the front and an artifact that recurs the equipped creature on the back. Cosmos Elixir I am always looking for card draw and artifacts that sit on the board, Whether i am drawing the card or gaining life to offset what i am feeding into Tymna, I think i am happy either way. Seize the Spoils I am playing Tormenting Voice but i think a similar spell that makes an artifact fits the deck better.

In addition to these i do plan on picking up the common lands as well. I dont know what i would put them but definitely cant hurt to pick them up.
Last edited by Zerro 3 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
Ikra Shidiqi, the Usurper // Tymna the Weaver
Nethroi, Apex of Death
Ghired, Conclave Exile
Alibou, Ancient Witness
Ephara,God of the Polis
Neyith of the Dire Hunt
Eligeth, Crossroads Augur // Siani, Eye of the Storm
Renata, Called to the Hunt
Neheb,The Eternal

3drinks
Kaalia's Personal Liaison

Post by 3drinks » 3 years ago

Sinis wrote:
3 years ago
3drinks wrote:
3 years ago

Frost Bite isn't really good enough, IMO. We could have just been playing Lightning Bolt, Dead // Gone, Chain Lightning and Strafe. Maybe even Sunlance.

I don't mean to dump on your choices (I actually think the dragon is acceptable), but, Frost Bite doesn't strike me as it.
I DO play Bolt, quite prominently even. It's very efficient.

Maybe it's because I'm developing Zenith Seeker in a flicker shell, but there is a lot of value to cash in on there. Ching ching.
Steel Sabotage'ng Orbs of Mellowness since 2011.

I collect Kaalia of the Vast normal-size cards. Do you have any extra taking up space in your binder? Help me grow my collection! :)

WBRKaalia HQ WBR

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy
Answers: 1

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 3 years ago

3drinks wrote:
3 years ago
Sinis wrote:
3 years ago
3drinks wrote:
3 years ago

Maybe it's because I'm developing Zenith Seeker in a flicker shell, but there is a lot of value to cash in on there. Ching ching.
I've been playing bolt for about two years now. With the influx of small but extremely valuable targets into the format, Bolt is basically red Swords to Plowshares with up to 20% fewer targets, which is still fabulous for one mana. At this point, I believe Bolt is more than good enough to be in literally every current red list.

Frost Bite, while infinitely inferior to bolt in every way, therefore could see justifiable play if the meta is really competitive or low to the ground.
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

Sinis

3drinks wrote:
3 years ago

Playing bolt, IMO, is a given. I have a beta one that I sleeve up for my tempo-oriented red decks. I guess Frost Bite is the next best; like, is Strafe just too bad to run? If it were instant, would we? Hard to say.

Even so, I also often play Abrade, and I think Chandra's Triumph is worth considering if you would consider Frost Bite. Frost Bite's 3-snow requirement is not inconsiderable.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”