[ZNR] Valakut Awakening // Valakut Stoneforge (Instant // Land!)

UnfulfilledDesires
Pronoun: they / them

Post by UnfulfilledDesires » 3 years ago

From this video.

Valakut Awakening
2R
Instant
Put any number of cards from your hand on the bottom of your library, then draw that many cards plus one.

Valakut Stoneforge
Land
Valakut Stoneforge enters the battlefield tapped.
T: Add R.

174/280 R
Attachments
Valakut Stoneforge.jpg

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 126
Pronoun: he / him

Post by void_nothing » 3 years ago

Splitlands ahoy! Perfectly reasonable mechanic imo that Spikes will like for consolidating a spell slot and a (unfortunately ETBT) land slot.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

Post by Krishnath » 3 years ago

Video unavailable.
"This video is private".

Kinda hard to verify authenticity then.
Numquam evolutioni obstes. Solum conculceris.

Pascite draconem, evolvite aut morimini.

The Commander Legacy Project, Come say hello and give your thoughts.

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

UnfulfilledDesires

I guess they put the video up early by mistake & have now taken it down. Here is the reddit thread. It's an official video.

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

Good to know.

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

DrSeaMonster

Post by DrSeaMonster » 3 years ago

this is gonna be the rare dual cycle
Abzan aligned, Timmy/Johnny with a Vorthos activated ability.

Commander decks: Karador. Riku. Savra. Vorosh. Teysa Karlov. Kaalia, Zenith Seeker.
Balthor the Defiled. Radha, Heir to Keld. Nath. Saheeli, the Gifted. Zurgo Helmsmasher.
Samut, Voice of Dissent. Grimgrin. Ertai, the Corrupted. Nicol Bolas, the Ravager. Elsha.
Glissa, the Traitor. Chainer, Nightmare Adept. Obosh. Nethroi. Konrad. Kros. Karametra.

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

DrSeaMonster wrote:
3 years ago
this is gonna be the rare dual cycle
They're not dual lands though. For them to be dual lands they need to tap for two different colors.

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

Post by ISBPathfinder » 3 years ago

I am quite curious as to how this works. It feels like you get to cast the instant later with the land upfront but I could be wayyyyyyyy off on that.
[EDH] Vadrok List (Suicide Chads) | Evelyn List (Vamp Mill) | Sanwell List | Danitha List | Indominus List | Ratadrabik List

pierreb

Post by pierreb » 3 years ago

So this is forgotten cave on steroids. It basically cycles away, except it brings with it other cards if you want to. Obv, the cyle cost is higher.

UnfulfilledDesires

ISBPathfinder wrote:
3 years ago
I am quite curious as to how this works. It feels like you get to cast the instant later with the land upfront but I could be wayyyyyyyy off on that.
The video explains this. From your hand, you can play it as an instant (the front face) or a land (the back face). Anywhere else, it counts only as the front face (instant), which opens up new options for Oops All Spells! & Belcher decks.

JovialJovian
Captain, I object!

Post by JovialJovian » 3 years ago

Rosewater hinted at this long, long ago, in the first Innistrad; he said that not all double-faced cards had to be transforming cards.

This is a significant evolution of split cards, but unlike when transforming cards supplanted flip cards, I don't think this will completely supplant split cards, as they were working perfectly fine and aren't very confusing.

I am curious to see how far they will take this new template. There's a short indicator of what's on the other side, but will they let that hold them back to things that can be simply indicated, or will they be willing to make more complex designs and let the indicator be just a hint, as it was on transforming cards.

Finally, can double-faced spells interact with transforming? Could we see a card that can not only be played on either face, but also can transform between them? Not in this set, but in the future? Also, if one of these is is a creature, what happens if an external effect tells it to transform?

So many questions, so many possibilities.

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

And the dual land cycle, as shown in the "stream" are lands on both sides. You basically chose which side you put into play.

Pouncing Kavu
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Pouncing Kavu » 3 years ago

So wait, the double faced dual lands are strictly better than basics? They've never done that before with nonbasics before. Am I missing something?

And yes, I know, they're not strictly better since they're not actually basic lands and they don't have a basic land type. But still, the fact that Cragcrown Pathway generally has no opportunity cost over Mountain, outside of some "mountains matter" deck like Valakut, seems like a dangerous design.

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

Pouncing Kavu wrote:
3 years ago
So wait, the double faced dual lands are strictly better than basics? They've never done that before with nonbasics before. Am I missing something?

And yes, I know, they're not strictly better since they're not actually basic lands and they don't have a basic land type. But still, the fact that Cragcrown Pathway generally has no opportunity cost over Mountain, outside of some "mountains matter" deck like Valakut, seems like a dangerous design.
Well, they're unfetchable, so that reduces their usefulness significantly, and you only get access to one of the sides, so they're actually worse that duals.

Guardman
A Dog's Dream of Man

Post by Guardman » 3 years ago

According to the preview video their should be a fair amount of these cards since if I remember right their are supposed to be one modal double-face card per pack. My first thought when seeing this though is that these cards will go great in a Goblin Charbelcher deck (especially this one since it digs as well).

SecretInfiltrator

Post by SecretInfiltrator » 3 years ago

Pouncing Kavu wrote:
3 years ago
Alpha for starters. ; P

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Previews”