Puella Magi Madoka Magica Theme Deck

materpillar
the caterpillar
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by materpillar » 5 months ago

I've never done a hard theme vorthos deck. Figured I'd throw together one based on my favorite anime.

I'm planning on doing 3 cards per character, representing the beginning, middle and end of their story arcs / part of the story. I'm also planning on making cards for massive plot points.

Mom - Mother of Runes
Kyosuke - Doomed Artisan

Witches
Charlotte Deceiver of Form/Oblivion Sower

Wishboard
Rewind / Temporal Manipulation
Ravaging Blaze / Fireball
Lembas
Persist / Reanimate
Enter the Infinite
Last edited by materpillar 6 hours ago, edited 14 times in total.

darrenhabib

Post by darrenhabib » 2 weeks ago

Does your playgroup allow for "outside the game" concepts for Fae of Wishes // Granted, Wish, Burning Wish?

Have you thought about doing custom proxies for each card? So you can use an online website to make up the cards with your characters and they have the "alternative names" frames like you see with Lord of the Ring cards and others.
I've done it myself so if you are interested I can step you though the process.

materpillar
the caterpillar

Post by materpillar » 2 weeks ago

darrenhabib wrote:
2 weeks ago
Does your playgroup allow for "outside the game" concepts for Fae of Wishes // Granted, Wish, Burning Wish?

Have you thought about doing custom proxies for each card? So you can use an online website to make up the cards with your characters and they have the "alternative names" frames like you see with Lord of the Ring cards and others.
I've done it myself so if you are interested I can step you though the process.
My playgroup is pretty chill. I'd be very surprised if they didn't let me rule 0 the wish cards. I'm planning on doing custom proxies for every card with photoshop. I just started dabbling this past week. My plan is to do as few alternate names as possible just to keep the cards more understandable. I'll post all the images here once I'm finished.

Here's the first few I've done. They might get edited some more but this is kinda the look I'm going for. I took a bunch of screenshots from the anime but they don't frame quite as well. I might use a different template, I'm not positive.
SPOILER
Show
Hide
SPOILER
Show
Hide
SPOILER
Show
Hide
SPOILER
Show
Hide

materpillar
the caterpillar

Post by materpillar » 1 week ago

Finished cards so far.

Anguished Unmaking
Burning Wish
Cruel Reality
Desolation Angel
Elder Deep Fiend
Gilded Drake
Gisela, Blade of Goldnight
Liliana Vess
Mass Manipulation
Sol Ring
Ulamog, the Infinite Gyre
Wish

I'm very much enjoying the process of making these and I'm super hyped to show them all off to you guys when I'm done.

materpillar
the caterpillar

Post by materpillar » 7 hours ago

@darrenhabib
I'm having trouble thinking of what cards Mami should have to represent episodes 1&2. Did you have any ideas? I was thinking maybe Mentor of the Meek and Kogla, the Titan Ape because she is a mentor figure and does a lot of fighting. But, I feel like I can do better at the same time.

darrenhabib

Post by darrenhabib » 2 hours ago

Unfortunately I have not watched the anime, so can't help with personality matchups.

Just from what I read on the fandom wiki it sounds like protection (for others) is the most likely of mtg mechanics she would have.
Mother of Runes, Eight-and-a-Half-Tails.

I noticed that she summons guns, so I'm thinking creatures that search for equipment.
Stoneforge Mystic seems the best as you can then tap to "pull those weapons out".
It says she has several weapons in her arsenal so you could play some equipment that represents them.
I'm not to sure what going to best represent her weapons but Umezawa's Jitte using the -1/-1 sort of like firing a rifle (you know shooting at a distance).
Assimilation Aegis could represent a one-use of a weapon -or- restraint magic.
Sword of Truth and Justice "helping" other creatures with buffs.
Anyway if you like this idea, more thought could be put into equipment that represent her arsenal.

The other thing I read was about her transformation into Holy Mami. I was thinking literally transform cards.
Kytheon, Hero of Akros is one. The transformed side does give other creatures indestructible for a turn.
The other one is Urza, Lord Protector (it has protector in the name!) and meld with The Mightstone and Weakstone.
Urza, Planeswalker would be her "Holy Mami" form and The Mightstone and Weakstone could represent her soul gem.
That's kind of nice that you have to wait for both of them, as story wise her transformation wouldn't happen until further into a game.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”