Archangel Avacyn - Boros Voltron

BlackbirdPlaysMTG
Lost but seeking
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by BlackbirdPlaysMTG » 2 months ago

You have written an excellent primer Peter/Avacyn Believer :)! Wanted to comment earlier, but sometimes I disappear for a few weeks from the forum and forget that I wanted to react to specific topics. There is a nice balance of flavour and effectivity in this list. Angels are one of my favourite creature types and you designed a neat list around Boros Avacyn. Voltron needs more love :heart:. I have played Bruna, Light of Alabaster in the past myself (a list I still update from time to time), and this thread makes me want to put together a voltron commander again.

How would you say this list holds up when your opponents are also very aggressive?

Tags:

PrimevalCommander
Pronoun: he / him

Post by PrimevalCommander » 2 months ago

Curious on your thoughts of Sword of Forge and Frontier, and potentially Sword of Hearth and Home as potential upgrades to some of the older swords. Forge and Frontier looks like solid card advantage for you over body and mind. Hearth and Home is more on the ramp side, but several of your utility dudes have ETB's that might be worth triggering again. I see these as potentially more useful than Body/Mind and War/Peace. Although War/Peace does shorten the clock, but not when you are commander damage-ing the table to death.

Avacyn Believer
Faith Requires Sacrifice

Post by Avacyn Believer » 2 months ago

BlackbirdPlaysMTG wrote:
2 months ago
You have written an excellent primer Peter/Avacyn Believer :)!
Thank you!
BlackbirdPlaysMTG wrote:
2 months ago
Voltron needs more love :heart:.
Agreed!
BlackbirdPlaysMTG wrote:
2 months ago
I have played Bruna, Light of Alabaster in the past myself (a list I still update from time to time), and this thread makes me want to put together a voltron commander again.
Bruna is a fun commander. I've built mine as self-mill and try to get all of the Auras from the graveyard rather than hand. I find it fairly reliable, at least as long as I can protect Bruna before she becomes protected by the Auras.
BlackbirdPlaysMTG wrote:
2 months ago
How would you say this list holds up when your opponents are also very aggressive?
It is rare for me to be in a pod where all the decks are fast and aggro, but where there are one or two opponents with aggro it can be quite fun (at least for me) to see who can race to lethal damage first. The deck does have enough tools to work around archetypes, like if they play Voltron I need to get the right Sword for colour protection, and if they go wide there is always Avacyn's transformation to reduce their numbers. If everyone is aggro the game probably won't last long, but that just means more time for more games :rofl:
PrimevalCommander wrote:
2 months ago
Curious on your thoughts of Sword of Forge and Frontier, and potentially Sword of Hearth and Home as potential upgrades to some of the older swords. Forge and Frontier looks like solid card advantage for you over body and mind. Hearth and Home is more on the ramp side, but several of your utility dudes have ETB's that might be worth triggering again. I see these as potentially more useful than Body/Mind and War/Peace. Although War/Peace does shorten the clock, but not when you are commander damage-ing the table to death.
I have commented on these in the Exclusions, Alternatives & Considerations section, though it is kinda buried at the bottom there😅I agree that Forge & Frontier has card advantage potential, but without any top deck manipulation I would be hesitant to play it in the early to midgame, even though that could be useful for the extra lands. The deck has very few high mana value cards, but in my mind I'd hate to lose them. Plus fairly low land count as well. I would love this sword if it say until the end of your next turn. Admittedly that is all theory, and it would be worth trying out, see how it actually plays.

I have no good practical explanation why I don't play Hearth & Home, it is actually pretty good and I probably should run it. My comments on this sword are pretty much same as yours. That said, the real reason is that Hearth & Home, just like all the other new Mirran Swords, doesn't have the Kaladesh Masterpiece treatment :rofl: I keep hoping they will do a secret lair in that style for the new swords, the cycle is now complete. Granted proxy alternatives exist.

As for the swords that I would replace, Sword of War and Peace for sure. The life gain is irrelevant and the damage fluctuates too. Plus with commander damage the additional damage to opponent's life doesn't speed it up by that much (unless they have massive hand size). Rather than Sword of Body and Mind I think I would replace Sword of Light and Shadow. On paper the recursion from graveyard is stronger but for whatever reason I've had more impact in games with Body & Mind. The tokens are great to be sacrificed, and not many decks like to be milled for 10 (or 20 with double strike).
Faith Requires Sacrifice
MTGNexus Primer | Archidekt | Church of Avacyn

BlackbirdPlaysMTG
Lost but seeking

Post by BlackbirdPlaysMTG » 2 months ago

I was really inspired by your decklist and primer (and I would love to play an aggressive Boros voltron list :grin:), and I spent an evening putting together a list for Kellan, the Fae-Blooded with your deck as a starting point. I think that he fits the original shell that you created really well, so I did not have to make many changes. I put the list in the spoiler. Would you mind taking a look at it?
Kellan, the Fae-Blooded - Equipment Voltron
Show
Hide
Kellan, the Fae-Blooded - Equipment Voltron
Approximate Total Cost:

I do not own an Ancient Tomb yet as well as some of the fast mana artifacts, so I left those out. Kellan is not as expensive as Avacyn mana-wise, so I think they are also less necessary. One of the main downsides of running Kellan is that you don't have access to the boardwipe that Avacyn provides (so a card like Basilisk Collar becomes a less powerful include). Therefore I am focusing less on sacrificing. Kellan has as upside that he provides a tutor in the command zone so I was like, why not put a small Sunforger package in the deck for some flexibility and protection of my gameplan. He lacks the evasion that Avacyn has, but what he does have is Double Strike from the get-go, which means that the swords/mask of memory provide twice as much value if he does connect. Maybe I should put in Trailblazer's Boots as an easy way to make him unblockable?

Avacyn Believer
Faith Requires Sacrifice

Post by Avacyn Believer » 1 month ago

BlackbirdPlaysMTG wrote:
2 months ago
Would you mind taking a look at it?
Sure :) I never thought about Kellan much, so could be interesting thought exercise.

I agree with you about fast mana. I don't think you need it, not unless you are pushing for really fast games. I went that way because of Avacyn's CMC, and to get ahead of control decks (used to play against them often), but Kellan is low CMC and a tutor in the command zone, which provides plenty of opportunity for consistent ramp. I see you already got Sword of the Animist, and the Dowsing Dagger.

I think the Dagger would be my go to play because it curves out nicely: turn 2 tutor, turn 3 Kellan, turn 4 attack with the Dagger and hopefully flip it while causing 8 commander damage, not a bad deal. The Sword has the same line of play, but less damage and take longer to make the same amount of mana.

I definitely would replace the sacrifice package, it doesn't fit with Kellan at all. Sunforger is probably where I'd focus my lines of play with Kellan, because it should be consistent with his tutor ability. I find the transform boardwipe useful to clear our blockers, but again, with tutor in the command zone, so easy to find evasion. I would probably look at some Auras, like Spirit Mantle, to make him unblockable, which would double up as good blocker if you can give him vigilance.

Trailblazer's Boots is not a bad choice, but it is conditional (even if most games will have nonbasic lands). I think because you have the tutor always available, you should be okay with just finding the right Mirran Sword to get protection from whatever colour blockers your target opponent is using. That way you get the evasion you want, plus value from the Sword, rather than wasting mana on the Boots just to be unblockable.

Sanctum of Eternity could be decent land to include, and other effects that bounce Kellan to your hand to re-cast the tutor without doing it from the command zone.

I'd probably look for Equipment, or other hands, that make tokens in some easy and consistent way, to lean more into his second ability. Even 1/1 Spirits can be dangerous when they get +3 or more power, and that should be easily enough to do. That way you could deal with one opponent with commander damage, and another with regular damage. Top of my head there is Felidar Retreat, triggering on landfall to make 2/2 Cats.

Overall, I'd say with Kellan my primary strategy would be Sunforger, followed by making tokens and buff their power. The main risk with this kind of deck that comes to mind is the amount of tutoring you might end up doing, that could get boring.

Oh and I'd include Inventory Management. I haven't had a chance to test it out yet but it is a bonkers card for Equipment/Auras Voltron decks.
Faith Requires Sacrifice

BlackbirdPlaysMTG
Lost but seeking

Post by BlackbirdPlaysMTG » 1 month ago

Avacyn Believer wrote:
1 month ago
Sure :) I never thought about Kellan much, so could be interesting thought exercise.
Thank you, it is really appreciated!
I agree with you about fast mana. I don't think you need it, not unless you are pushing for really fast games. I went that way because of Avacyn's CMC, and to get ahead of control decks (used to play against them often), but Kellan is low CMC and a tutor in the command zone, which provides plenty of opportunity for consistent ramp. I see you already got Sword of the Animist, and the Dowsing Dagger.

I think the Dagger would be my go to play because it curves out nicely: turn 2 tutor, turn 3 Kellan, turn 4 attack with the Dagger and hopefully flip it while causing 8 commander damage, not a bad deal. The Sword has the same line of play, but less damage and take longer to make the same amount of mana.
Yeah, that is a good line of play if you suspect that the opponents won't remove Kellan right away and sets you up for the rest of the game nicely mana-wise. You can also go for Swiftfoot Boots if you want to play it more safely I suppose (unless you managed to get Mother/Giver of Runes down on turn 1, then the boots are less necessary).
I definitely would replace the sacrifice package, it doesn't fit with Kellan at all. Sunforger is probably where I'd focus my lines of play with Kellan, because it should be consistent with his tutor ability. I find the transform boardwipe useful to clear our blockers, but again, with tutor in the command zone, so easy to find evasion. I would probably look at some Auras, like Spirit Mantle, to make him unblockable, which would double up as good blocker if you can give him vigilance.

Trailblazer's Boots is not a bad choice, but it is conditional (even if most games will have nonbasic lands). I think because you have the tutor always available, you should be okay with just finding the right Mirran Sword to get protection from whatever colour blockers your target opponent is using. That way you get the evasion you want, plus value from the Sword, rather than wasting mana on the Boots just to be unblockable.
I'll stick with the Mirran Swords when I am able to put the list together in paper and see how well Kellan will get through. It is something I will have to experience in game. I did put Tarrian's Soulcleaver in the list to be able to give Kellan Vigilance for a relatively cheap cost if necessary, so he can also be a powerful blocker.
Sanctum of Eternity could be decent land to include, and other effects that bounce Kellan to your hand to re-cast the tutor without doing it from the command zone.
Oh, that is an interesting land! Never saw it before haha, Wizards is pumping out way too much cards and sets for me to memorize everything. Maybe I could play it instead of Rogue's Passage (don't think I want to cut more basics) - I think Passage is one of those lands which looks like a good fit for the deck at first glance, but will probably only be relevant in like 1/100 games.
I'd probably look for Equipment, or other hands, that make tokens in some easy and consistent way, to lean more into his second ability. Even 1/1 Spirits can be dangerous when they get +3 or more power, and that should be easily enough to do. That way you could deal with one opponent with commander damage, and another with regular damage. Top of my head there is Felidar Retreat, triggering on landfall to make 2/2 Cats.

Overall, I'd say with Kellan my primary strategy would be Sunforger, followed by making tokens and buff their power. The main risk with this kind of deck that comes to mind is the amount of tutoring you might end up doing, that could get boring.

Oh and I'd include Inventory Management. I haven't had a chance to test it out yet but it is a bonkers card for Equipment/Auras Voltron decks.
I have thought about sprinkling in some token synergy, but I don't think I want to run a card like Felidar Retreat or equipment that creates tokens like Andúril, Flame of the West on their own. When you go for the token route I think you should lean quite heavily into that strategy to gain value from doing so. The buff Kellan provides does synergise nicely with Esper Sentinel though. Inventory Management looks like a card that can cheat quite a bit of mana, but I think it is a bit... awkward? I don't know, I just see myself drawing it and not casting it for the entirety of a game. I think it's better in Avacyn. You play equipment in the turns prior to casting Avacyn, flash in Avacyn, cast Management to equip her at instant speed and go to town.

Avacyn Believer
Faith Requires Sacrifice

BlackbirdPlaysMTG wrote:
1 month ago
Yeah, that is a good line of play if you suspect that the opponents won't remove Kellan right away and sets you up for the rest of the game nicely mana-wise.
Not gonna lie, didn't even think of that :rofl: I was more thinking build up mana base and wanting Kellan to die so that I can cast the tutor again. Since he has double strike, and if you can do 6-8 commander damage by turn 4, then all you need is to make him power 7-8 in some later turn for lethal.
BlackbirdPlaysMTG wrote:
1 month ago
Oh, that is an interesting land! Never saw it before haha, Wizards is pumping out way too much cards and sets for me to memorize everything. Maybe I could play it instead of Rogue's Passage (don't think I want to cut more basics) - I think Passage is one of those lands which looks like a good fit for the deck at first glance, but will probably only be relevant in like 1/100 games.
No argument there, though the Sanctum is from Commander 2019, but it has never been reprinted. I think I know of it because I have a copy, it came in the precon I bought. Looking at your list I'd be more tempted to swap it for Mistveil Plains, not sure I see the benefit of that land. Or honestly, even one of the fetch lands. You don't need this much colour fixing, majority of the deck is white or colourless, and you'll already be searching and shuffling your deck often enough.

On other hand I'd make a case that Rogue's Passage is an important land for any Voltron deck. Not because it will be relevant in every game, but because it is the last resort to get unblockable commander, which is harder to remove from the field than anything else. I like to have contingencies spread between different types of permanents.
BlackbirdPlaysMTG wrote:
1 month ago
I have thought about sprinkling in some token synergy, but I don't think I want to run a card like Felidar Retreat or equipment that creates tokens like Andúril, Flame of the West on their own.
That's fair.
BlackbirdPlaysMTG wrote:
1 month ago
Inventory Management looks like a card that can cheat quite a bit of mana, but I think it is a bit... awkward? I don't know, I just see myself drawing it and not casting it for the entirety of a game. I think it's better in Avacyn. You play equipment in the turns prior to casting Avacyn, flash in Avacyn, cast Management to equip her at instant speed and go to town.
I'd at least try it, especially since you can tutor for it through Sunforger, making it more reliable. In my mind its not really even about the early game, but more so in the late game where you might have bunch of Equipment on the field but not enough mana to Equip them all. This gives at least gives you the option to get around all that mana cost. And if you don't need it, easy card to discard for red draw spells.

Most important thing to me is the Split Second, you can protect your commander against almost everything if you have the right Equipment on the field and your opponents can't counter it (in 99% of situations). It also makes for a good combat trick. You have your equipment on different creature (for example to make them unblockable), attack, and then before damage you can put all of it on Kellan, or whatever other creature. That's how I see playing it, rather than just thinking about saving mana.
Faith Requires Sacrifice

BlackbirdPlaysMTG
Lost but seeking

Avacyn Believer wrote:
1 month ago
Not gonna lie, didn't even think of that :rofl: I was more thinking build up mana base and wanting Kellan to die so that I can cast the tutor again. Since he has double strike, and if you can do 6-8 commander damage by turn 4, then all you need is to make him power 7-8 in some later turn for lethal.
When I was goldfishing the deck I generally drew and tutored enough cards to turn him into a monster without having to cast him over and over again for the tutor half of his card, but that's goldfishing without any interaction of course :?. I like how you want to go for ramp, I am more cautious and likely to go for a 'safer', but less rewarding play. Turns out having a tutor in the command zone does not automatically lead to the same choices. Depends on the pilot and the decks/colours that other people in the pod are playing.
No argument there, though the Sanctum is from Commander 2019, but it has never been reprinted. I think I know of it because I have a copy, it came in the precon I bought. Looking at your list I'd be more tempted to swap it for Mistveil Plains, not sure I see the benefit of that land. Or honestly, even one of the fetch lands. You don't need this much colour fixing, majority of the deck is white or colourless, and you'll already be searching and shuffling your deck often enough.
I put Mistveil Plains in the deck because I am not running the recursion package that you do. It can be tutored by a fetch and it can put valuable equipment (there are plenty of equipment tutors in the deck to find them again) and instants for Sunforger back into the deck. Granted, this is only relevant in games that go long, but I like having the option. I think I could take out one of the fetches for the Sanctum, sounds like a good idea!
On other hand I'd make a case that Rogue's Passage is an important land for any Voltron deck. Not because it will be relevant in every game, but because it is the last resort to get unblockable commander, which is harder to remove from the field than anything else. I like to have contingencies spread between different types of permanents.
That is a good point, perhaps I am judging it too roughly. And it's not like the deck runs that many colourless utility lands to begin with.
I'd at least try it, especially since you can tutor for it through Sunforger, making it more reliable. In my mind its not really even about the early game, but more so in the late game where you might have bunch of Equipment on the field but not enough mana to Equip them all. This gives at least gives you the option to get around all that mana cost. And if you don't need it, easy card to discard for red draw spells.

Most important thing to me is the Split Second, you can protect your commander against almost everything if you have the right Equipment on the field and your opponents can't counter it (in 99% of situations). It also makes for a good combat trick. You have your equipment on different creature (for example to make them unblockable), attack, and then before damage you can put all of it on Kellan, or whatever other creature. That's how I see playing it, rather than just thinking about saving mana.
That's true, it's more flexible than I deemed it to be at first glance. The split second makes it so that you can cast your commander and unless he gets countered, he'll be safe from removal when you try to equip him with your swords and stuff. Much to think about :). I feel card slots are quite contested, so I'll have to see what to take out and what to put in.

Avacyn Believer
Faith Requires Sacrifice

BlackbirdPlaysMTG wrote:
1 month ago
I put Mistveil Plains in the deck because I am not running the recursion package that you do. It can be tutored by a fetch and it can put valuable equipment (there are plenty of equipment tutors in the deck to find them again) and instants for Sunforger back into the deck.
Oh fair one, that makes sense, that it can be any card is good. I like that tutor synergy actually, might try it in some other deck of mine :grin:
BlackbirdPlaysMTG wrote:
1 month ago
I feel card slots are quite contested, so I'll have to see what to take out and what to put in.
Welcome to the club :rofl: I feel so pedantic sometime when I am evaluating cards from new sets that could fit into the Avacyn deck, but at this point I have to be since there no easy swaps anymore. These days I lean a lot towards 'does it feel good to play' over just what is strictly better.
Faith Requires Sacrifice

BlackbirdPlaysMTG
Lost but seeking

Avacyn Believer wrote:
1 month ago
Welcome to the club :rofl: I feel so pedantic sometime when I am evaluating cards from new sets that could fit into the Avacyn deck, but at this point I have to be since there no easy swaps anymore. These days I lean a lot towards 'does it feel good to play' over just what is strictly better.
Yeah, I have the same problem when updating my Sythis, Harvest's Hand enchantress deck. A card has to be really strong or flavourful to make the cut nowadays :nerd:. At the same time you have to stay critical of cards currently in the decklist and be open for changes. Thanks a lot for taking your time providing feedback!

Avacyn Believer
Faith Requires Sacrifice

Set Review

Outlaws of Thunder Junction

Look at me keeping up with new releases while I am deployed on tour. The whole western theme of this set, I can take it or leave it. Doesn't bother me but I also don't find it appealing. Though it doesn't really feel like its own set, but rather cowboy cosplay for characters from various planes.

That said, there are quite a few cards that caught my interest, especially interaction cards as the new Spree mechanic offers a good amount of flexibility, which is something I do look for when considering new cards for this deck. There is also some support for Equipment, but not that much in Boros colours. Overall this set had me thinking about more cards than I expected, so I am pleased with that.

Red
SPOILER
Show
Hide
  • Embrace the Unknown: I like this as an alternative to the common red card advantage through looting. Since you have up to two whole turns to play the exiled cards, it feels a lot less limiting than the traditional impulse cards. If I had to swap something I'd probably look at Cathartic Reunion first.
  • Highway Robbery: Another alternative for Tormenting Voice. It feels like we get one of those nearly in each set now. The option to sacrifice a land instead of discarding could be handy when you have a lot of lands and no other cards in hand. Not sure about the benefits of the Plot mechanic, but if nothing else it stops your opponents from making you discard it.
  • Return the Favor: This is an interesting card. The copy option is very flexible as it can copy almost anything, allowing you either use your opponent's spells or abilities to your benefit, or doubling on your own, like double ETB trigger or copying a tutor spell. Something funky and specific to this deck would be doubling Avacyn's transform trigger to cause more damage. The second option to charge targets is a good way to redirect a removal spell, but it won't protect against boardwipes. I am thinking it could be an alternative to Cloudshift, but my main concern is with the cost, holding up double red could prove prohibitive. For now I'll settle on liking this card in theory but will need to playtest it to make a final judgement.
White
SPOILER
Show
Hide
  • Angel of Indemnity: Recurring any permanent mana value or less on ETB sounds great because that is the vast majority of permanents in this deck. To make it better, the Angel has Encore so you can get multiple triggers. The main drawback is the high mana value. This deck is not set up to always have cards in the graveyard worth recurring, which I feel would limit its ability to be consistent, especially when compared to the other high mana value Angels that support the Voltron strategy directly.
  • Bovine Intervention: Not the worst removal spell as it gives you the option between creature or artifact, but equally for one additional mana you can have a Generous Gift that has more target options.
  • Claim Jumper: I would have liked this card more if it was a 2/2, so that it could be tutored by the Recruiters. It seems like a good ramp spell that can be triggered multiple times with flickering, but without being able to search for it I feel like it won't be consistent enough in this deck, but a great addition for pretty much any white deck.
  • Final Showdown: I am not too sure on this card but it looks interesting. For mana it could almost guarantee a boardwipe as it removes indestructible from creatures, and then in theory you could flicker Avacyn and make your board indestructible. For half the cost you could also mess with an opponent's boardwipe by removing indestructible from their creatures, and giving it to yours, if it works that way. It could also be a protection spell for mana. Maybe if I was really pressed for slots I could remove a boardwipe and Cloudshift for this card.
  • One Last Job: This is a very flexible recursion card and worth considering against Remember the Fallen, or even Daretti, Scrap Savant. Of the options, the middle one is not useful in this deck but the first and third are very relevant. Since none of the creatures care about being cast, returning them to the battlefield is great, most of the time this will be mana neutral as most creatures are mana value , but occasionally it will bring back one of the high mana value angels. With Equipment it will almost always be worth the mana because it removes the cast and equip cost. So overall, on face value it costs more to cast than Remember the Fallen but it is worth it. The only drawback is that this card can't bring back non-Equipment artifacts, but besides Equipment those tend to be mana rocks, so not that much of a drawback. Definitely worth playtesting.
  • Requisition Raid: My initial thought was that this is better than Wear // Tear, because they are both the same combined mana value but Raid has the benefit of requiring only one mana, while Wear also wants one . Then for one extra mana you can make your board slightly stronger, not a bad deal. The main drawback is that Raid is a sorcery, and destroying enchantment on its own is more expensive. I don't think I will swap it into this deck, but it will find a place in many other white decks.
Boros
SPOILER
Show
Hide
  • Taii Wakeen, Perfect Shot: I wanted to mention this card because there is a "perfect shot" scenario where it could draw you a lot of cards when Avacyn transforms and there are a lot of 3 toughness creatures on the battlefield, or you have mana to increase that damage with Taii. Is it worth it in most games? No, most likely not. But would it feel great if you managed to pull it off? Yes, yes it would. Taii and the Purifier could also combo with Grafted Exoskeleton to one shot all opponents with poison.
Colourless
SPOILER
Show
Hide
  • Lavaspur Boots: These boots have some potential if less casting cost is worth Ward 1 over Hexproof. I don't think it is in this deck, but in a budget deck it could definitely be worth it. Swiftfoot Boots will be hard to beat, but there are decks out there that will prefer mana value 1 boots.
  • Lost Jitte: This is pretty cool. I like all the things it can do. Untapping a land can be great for double the value of a utility land, or at worst a little boost to available mana. Making a creature not able to block is probably the most situational but it forces opponents to keep up more than one blocker. And +1/+1 counters are always welcome in Voltron, even more so when the counters are placed on the creature and so are not lost if the Jitte is destroyed. However, I am not sure what I'd swap it for in this deck. It doesn't feel like a must have Equipment. I am not gonna compare it to Umezawa's Jitte because I don't run it in the deck.
  • Lotus Ring: This seems rather good. It reads like it does everything I am looking for in Equipment. The +3 power bonus is significant, and vigilance is great when Avacyn transforms and loses that keyword. And on top of that, you can sacrifice creatures to make mana, which fits well with the deck's theme. However, the question is if it actually fits into the deck. It is a bit too expensive to cast and equip in the early game where it would be the most useful, and it only provides short mana advantage compared to Bitterthorn, Nissa's Animus or Dowsing Dagger which fetch or turn into lands. Furthermore, you are limited to how many creatures you have available to sacrifice. In the end I think it looks fancy but would have better home in decks with more creatures. I might playtest it but I am not confident in this Ring.
  • Sword of Wealth and Power: A new type of Mirran sword, so I have to talk about it :rofl: Protection from card types rather than colours is neat. Protection from instant and sorceries is not terrible, it should protect against all spell based removal. The triggered abilities are pretty good too, especially in a Sunforger deck. However, this is not a Sunforger deck and I run a limited number of spells I'd want to copy, so I won't be including this Sword in the deck, but it is definitely worth considering in Equipment Voltron.
Lands
SPOILER
Show
Hide
  • Conduit Pylons: This land caught my interest because it can work well with Scavenger Grounds (which I've considered to play before) because you can sacrifice this land to get more uses out of the Grounds, even if it is just one more. On its own the Pylons provide some mana fixing, and Surveil is pretty good in any deck with recursion. I'd consider it for a budget deck.
  • Fomori Vault: In theory this Vault has a better card advantage on a land than War Room. For mana and 2 life (in this deck) you get one card from War Room, while for mana and a card, you get to look at X cards and put one in hand, which I like because it scales nicely as the game goes on. Granted it doesn't do anything if you have no artifacts and no card to discard, but even the War Room is something I rarely use unless I have nothing else. I think I'll swap in the Vault, even if the War Room name is more fitting.

Reprints of note:
Faith Requires Sacrifice

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”