30+ Creature Type Changeling Tribal

ender86
Pronoun: he / him

Post by ender86 » 10 months ago

Wouldn't it be fun if all our spells had Cascade? While uncertain, "Time Lord" may be a new creature type. If it is, all we need to do is get this on the battlefield and crewed to do all sorts of fun shenanigans! There are lots of tutors for 2-valued artifacts as Krark's Thumb players know. Maybe add in a Reconnaissance to get the attack trigger without risk of it dying? Image

From https://www.wargamer.com/magic-the-gath ... o-spoilers

Tags:

materpillar
the caterpillar
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by materpillar » 10 months ago

ender86 wrote:
10 months ago
Wouldn't it be fun if all our spells had Cascade? While uncertain, "Time Lord" may be a new creature type. If it is, all we need to do is get this on the battlefield and crewed to do all sorts of fun shenanigans! There are lots of tutors for 2-valued artifacts as Krark's Thumb players know. Maybe add in a Reconnaissance to get the attack trigger without risk of it dying? Image

Yeah, it looks pretty good to me. I'm pretty sure I'll give it a test but I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't make the cut. It needs two attacks at least before I'm happy with it and I can see that not happening.

Personally this is even more exciting to me, it seems like super premium removal.

Tribbles

Post by Tribbles » 10 months ago

materpillar wrote:
10 months ago
ender86 wrote:
10 months ago
Wouldn't it be fun if all our spells had Cascade? While uncertain, "Time Lord" may be a new creature type. If it is, all we need to do is get this on the battlefield and crewed to do all sorts of fun shenanigans! There are lots of tutors for 2-valued artifacts as Krark's Thumb players know. Maybe add in a Reconnaissance to get the attack trigger without risk of it dying? TARDIS

Yeah, it looks pretty good to me. I'm pretty sure I'll give it a test but I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't make the cut. It needs two attacks at least before I'm happy with it and I can see that not happening.

Exterminate!
Personally this is even more exciting to me, it seems like super premium removal.
The Tardis is cool, planeswalk makes it less relevant. Neat if you play Planechase but I don't think worth a slot. Could be wrong, though!

Exterminate! is nicely synergistic, I'll definitely pick this up. Targetted removal, life loss, and can make Treasures if you have a Magda on the field, let alone the other interactions.

Super disappointed at the CMM previews, but maybe WHO will give us a couple more tribal treats?
Error 404: Signature Not Found

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 126

Post by void_nothing » 10 months ago

Just came here to say that Exterminate! is theoretically the best piece of removal for a changeling deck ever.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

materpillar
the caterpillar

Post by materpillar » 10 months ago

void_nothing wrote:
10 months ago
Just came here to say that Exterminate! is theoretically the best piece of removal for a changeling deck ever.
I don't think that I agree. It's a snap include but we've actually got some really solid removal in this deck. I think I'd rank it 4th? That makes me curious actually.

1 Dragon Tempest
The floor on this card is way worse, but the ceiling is infinite damage to the face. It's removal. It's a haste outlet. It plays stupidly well with bounce effects. One of the best cards in the deck.

2 Contested Cliffs
It's repeatable removal on a land. That's like the best floor ever.

3 Flame of Anor
Being an instant is just so much better than a sorcery. This is better with no Changelings, slightly better with 1 Changeling and slightly worse with 2 Changelings. Not nearly as high of a ceiling but a dramatically better floor.

4 Spellstutter Sprite
A way worse floor and noticeably more niche. That being said while Exterminate! is way better at its job of removal when behind. Spellstutter Sprite just blows people out so hard in a way that isn't replaceable. Countering stuff like Cyclonic Rift/Teferi's Protection just straight wins otherwise unwinnable games. I've countered Finale of Devastation for 10 before. Plus you can get multiple uses out of this with bounce effects and it's tutorable.

5 Crib Swap
Probably lower in my deck than average. It's a tutorable, instant speed exile for 2 mana that you can loop with Haakon, Stromgald Scourge and triggers cast triggers like Gilt-Leaf Archdruid.

6 Exterminate!

7 Peer Pressure
Can be unusable but has a better upside. You can often engineer stealing 2 creatures which is way better than just killing them. Very comparable I think.

8 Spit Flame
Better for killing something pesky like Chulane, Teller of Tales or Henzie "Toolbox" Torre over and over until it's uncastable. Better at keeping things from spiraling out of control worse at getting them back under control.

Honorable mentions
Be'lakor, the Dark Master
Kogla, the Titan Ape
Reaper King
Patron of the Vein
Tolsimir, Friend to Wolves

So 3rd if you're just comparing instants/sorceries, in my opinion.

On a different note, I dream of attacking with TARDIS, casting Reaper King and cascading into Morophon, the Boundless.

materpillar
the caterpillar

Post by materpillar » 9 months ago

So The Eleventh Hour seems really good.. Changeling Tutor into a second The Ur-Dragon eminence effect on a token into a free clone. Sign me up.

Tribbles

Post by Tribbles » 9 months ago

Time Lord Regeneration is really nice instant speed creature replacement, especially if you can stack your deck with goblin or dwarven recruiter.

silversnakes

Post by silversnakes » 9 months ago

I was thinking of building a deck like this but, with interchangeable groups of cards for certain themes (Sac/Token/Blink/Tap Untap/. I thought It'd be interesting to have something that can be swapped around from time to time and wondered your thoughts and expertise on this as well.

materpillar
the caterpillar

Post by materpillar » 9 months ago

silversnakes wrote:
9 months ago
I was thinking of building a deck like this but, with interchangeable groups of cards for certain themes (Sac/Token/Blink/Tap Untap/. I thought It'd be interesting to have something that can be swapped around from time to time and wondered your thoughts and expertise on this as well.
I have an entire deck box of random tribal cards that I've cut or weren't strong enough to make the cut. I have enough cards I could probably build 2 more decks without any non-Changeling overlap so you definitely have enough card options to do this modular thing.

That being said I have enough decks and this one plays different enough from game to game that I don't personally need to build a modular deck like this.

silversnakes

Post by silversnakes » 8 months ago

I've been messing with it for the past few weeks. I like how you can take it in a magnitude of different directions as well.
Here's the list I've been working on
I wanted to try gates since i've never used them before I thought it'd fit here. Since I just picture a ton of changlings charging to the battlefeild after exiting a gate.
https://archidekt.com/decks/5100845/no_dragon

offspring

Post by offspring » 8 months ago

silversnakes wrote:
8 months ago
I've been messing with it for the past few weeks. I like how you can take it in a magnitude of different directions as well.
Here's the list I've been working on
I wanted to try gates since i've never used them before I thought it'd fit here. Since I just picture a ton of changlings charging to the battlefeild after exiting a gate.
https://archidekt.com/decks/5100845/no_dragon
Nice list Silversnakes. I'm curious how the gate package will work out for you. Dedicating seven slot to that seems like a lot since I find this one of the most tight lists I run, but since it's almost exclusively ramp, I can see that working. I never liked gates myself, but I agree this could be a list to try it in. By the way, I don't think Elder Pine of Jukai belongs in that category ;-).

Wanted to share two things today. First, I recently made a quick Kibo, Uktabi Prince list for giggles, using candy bananas as tokens, eating them when they were sacrificed. It's the little things in life that make you happy, right? Anyway: BOY HOWDY that thing went, well... bananas. The fix isn't great because assuming you already have a green source it only brings red to the table, but I ended up with a bunch of mostly vanilla apes with up to 11 counters on them, depending how long they had been on the board. After pitching a Brawn the game was quickly over. It was a list I intended to play only once, but it got me seriously considering him. It's just a really fun card as well.

Secondly, got a game in this week for the first time in a while. Notable things: Unsettled Mariner overperformed. The amount of removal is going up in my meta and the little guy really messed with some people's game plans because of the ward. The absolute MVP this game was Dragon Tempest. Combined with Maskwood Nexus it let me finish the game by dealing 10, 11, 12 and 13 damage to my two remaining opponent's faces. Without it, I probably would have lost to a bunch of flying zombies.

offspring

Post by offspring » 7 months ago

So what do we think about Huatli, Poet of Unity? I personally still run one basic of each type, and this being 3 mana value would, on curve, be pretty good mana fix. Having bodies, ramp/fix and a tutor on the back side seems kinda relevant. I'm tempted to give it a shot and don't see it underperforming. It's probably replace Grell Philosopher in my list since it would have a bit of the same goal and has the same MV.

Tribbles

Post by Tribbles » 7 months ago

offspring wrote:
7 months ago
So what do we think about Huatli, Poet of Unity? I personally still run one basic of each type, and this being 3 mana value would, on curve, be pretty good mana fix. Having bodies, ramp/fix and a tutor on the back side seems kinda relevant. I'm tempted to give it a shot and don't see it underperforming. It's probably replace Grell Philosopher in my list since it would have a bit of the same goal and has the same MV.
In a world where we have more tribal goodness than card slots in the deck, re-adding in 5 basics is a decision I've been struggling with. Might need to do it at some point. Huatli has some nice effects, but it seems... slow? It would be more compelling if it put the land into the battlefield tapped rather than just into hand, maybe also a keyword to help it after the ETB effect procs? The 2, 3, 4 saga effects seem nice, but, played on curve, you'll be waiting 2-3 turns with Huatli on the field before it you get to the value.

The land side of Welcome to... // Jurassic Park, though... :explode: (external IP aside :unamused: )

materpillar
the caterpillar

Post by materpillar » 7 months ago

offspring wrote:
7 months ago
I'm a greedy boy and don't run any basics. That aside Huatli, Poet of Unity needs to be cast, flipped and then you have to wait at least 2 turns before it does any Changeling synergy stuff. With the wealth of options at hand that's too slow for me to feel like it's on theme. Kinda like how Toxrill, the Corrosive looks on theme but in practice isn't really.

Probably going to slot Welcome to... // Jurassic Park into my deck. Removal, recursion and ramp? The downside of maybe just losing you the game with the 3rd step of the saga. Sign me up!

materpillar
the caterpillar

Trenzalore Clocktower
Slam that in my deck.

Tribbles

Post by Tribbles » 7 months ago

offspring

Post by offspring » 7 months ago

materpillar wrote:
7 months ago
Trenzalore Clocktower
Slam that in my deck.
It's cute, but I don't really believe it's good enough. I won't remove any mana fix for this, so the single Island I have left would be the only option probably. The chance of it's second ability resolving is soo small though. Or am I missing something and do we have ways to proliferate or activate it multiple times?
I like Everything Comes to Dust but I don't know how many non-changelings I generally have on board, and you really don't want to convoke with a changeling since it'll exile zilch. I estimate you'd kneed about 5 creatures to make it efficient enough to run, and that seems steep. My guess is that for example Stick Together is better most of the time. If you want to run multiple tribal boardwipes, I'd run Widespread Brutality over this too I think.

Gallifrey Council Chamber is neat, but it generally doesn't do what I want a land that fixes my mana to do early game: make sure I can play my other fix / ramp cards like Thunderherd Migration or Gemhide Sliver.

I love how there are multiple new options though.

materpillar
the caterpillar

twice upon a time is probably the second best extra turn spell after Notorious Throng if you're into that effect.
offspring wrote:
7 months ago
materpillar wrote:
7 months ago
Trenzalore Clocktower
Slam that in my deck.
It's cute, but I don't really believe it's good enough. I won't remove any mana fix for this, so the single Island I have left would be the only option probably. The chance of its second ability resolving is soo small though. Or am I missing something and do we have ways to proliferate or activate it multiple times?
I'm still running Sliver Hive and Haven of the Spirit Dragon. I'll probably axe one of those or maybe one of my colorless lands. I don't think I'll end up activating this much but it's an on theme land that taps for a color and has a niche but pretty massive upside if the game goes really long.

Fun on theme land that actually taps for a color is something my mana base desperately wants. XD
Tribbles wrote:
7 months ago
Everything Comes to Dust, anyone?
Probably a touch too expensive. My high CMC esika deck though… nom nom nom
I've been trying to cut these types of lands every time I can. Only paying for changelings is painful unless they have an actual good upside.

Clara Oswald is another option for people that like that ability. I think it's one of the worse examples of it though.

The Girl in the Fireplace is solid for people who are trying to go the saboteur route

An Unearthly Child is draw 3 Changelings which seems super solid.

The Eleventh Hour seems like a banger. I'll give it a while. Tutor a Changeling, all changelings cost 1 less and then clone a creature? Seems like gas.

As mentioned before Exterminate! is just stellar.

Gallifrey Stands is a cute card. Probably worse than Patriarch's Bidding but could make the cut in a chiller meta.

Dinosaurs on a Spaceship is hilarious.

materpillar
the caterpillar

Post by materpillar » 6 months ago

… sweet mother of pearl these spoiled cards are insane.

intrepid Paleontologist is just an absurd slam for anyone who has Wirewood Symbiote in their deck.

I personally hate cascade but Pantlaza, Sun-Favored is another The First Sliver if you want one.

Admiral Brass, Unsinkable is another 5-drop that recurs a Changeling every turn with laughably easy to avoid downside. Not sure if that's good enough for our deck but maybe?

Hakbal of the Surging Soul is just value on value and you can tutor for him with Seahunter.

Throne of the Grim Captain // The Grim Captain might be good enough for Haakon, Stromgald Scourge builds?

Probably cut Liliana's Contract for Hakbal of the Surging Soul which is sad because Contract is such a cool card. Conjurer's Mantle (which I haven't even cast) for intrepid Paleontologist.

Bah. I haven't even made room for Exterminate! or The Eleventh Hour yet. -_-
Maybe Sachi, Daughter of Seshiro and Sliver Hivelord? Bleh.

[edit]: Gah! I completely forgot about Welcome to... // Jurassic Park also. Cut The Scarab God? Maybe I should lean into a Haakon, Stromgald Scourge package with all these new recursion guys floating about.

What're peoples thoughts on 5drops+ in this deck? There's so many good ones. I'm currently running The Scarab God/Reaper King/Sliver Hivelord/Evelyn, the Covetous/Tolsimir, Friend to Wolves as 5 drops. I'm also running Sauron, the Dark Lord/Darksteel Splicer/Kogla, the Titan Ape/Patron of the Vein/Be'lakor, the Dark Master as 6+ drops.

I should probably cut a couple. Meh.

Zyren

Post by Zyren » 6 months ago

materpillar wrote:
6 months ago
… sweet mother of pearl these spoiled cards are insane.

intrepid Paleontologist is just an absurd slam for anyone who has Wirewood Symbiote in their deck.

I personally hate cascade but Pantlaza, Sun-Favored is another The First Sliver if you want one.

Admiral Brass, Unsinkable is another 5-drop that recurs a Changeling every turn with laughably easy to avoid downside. Not sure if that's good enough for our deck but maybe?

Hakbal of the Surging Soul is just value on value and you can tutor for him with Seahunter.

Throne of the Grim Captain // The Grim Captain might be good enough for Haakon, Stromgald Scourge builds?

Probably cut Liliana's Contract for Hakbal of the Surging Soul which is sad because Contract is such a cool card. Conjurer's Mantle (which I haven't even cast) for intrepid Paleontologist.

Bah. I haven't even made room for Exterminate! or The Eleventh Hour yet. -_-
Maybe Sachi, Daughter of Seshiro and Sliver Hivelord? Bleh.

[edit]: Gah! I completely forgot about Welcome to... // Jurassic Park also. Cut The Scarab God? Maybe I should lean into a Haakon, Stromgald Scourge package with all these new recursion guys floating about.

What're peoples thoughts on 5drops+ in this deck? There's so many good ones. I'm currently running The Scarab God/Reaper King/Sliver Hivelord/Evelyn, the Covetous/Tolsimir, Friend to Wolves as 5 drops. I'm also running Sauron, the Dark Lord/Darksteel Splicer/Kogla, the Titan Ape/Patron of the Vein/Be'lakor, the Dark Master as 6+ drops.

I should probably cut a couple. Meh.
I like Throne of the Grim Captain // The Grim Captain because its a good answer to a creature board wipe. When I played with this deck a few days ago, there were 4 board wipes, so the game was painfully slow. being able to crack this right after a board wipe would be a crazy good play. It also fuels ashcoat, which is in my deck. It can also fuel admiral brass.

I'm not sure about Welcome to... // Jurassic Park. I don't like the fact that it nukes all of our changelings on the third counter. I usually have enough of a problem with my opponents killing my stuff because my board is a threat. I can see how it would be good if you're expecting a board wipe in the next turn or so, but it could hurt us more than our opponents. The escape cost can be brutal to re-cast all our changelings that were nuked.

I think post doctor who and ixilan I am going to do the following changes:

- evelyn + admiral brass (0 net cc)
I'm going for a graveyard strategy, so admiral brass is more synergistic. Plus I dont have to pay for the card advantage with brass.

- kogla + exterminate (-3 net cc)
Kogla is a big guy but he's mostly here for the fighting and destruction. We get less artifact / enchantment destruction but overall better creature destruction. The gameplay is more attacking focused so getting rid of more creatures can be good. We have plenty of other big guys that losing a 7/6 won't be too bad.

- grolnok + kahbal (0 net cc)
like evelyn, moving from exile to mill strategies seems to be better. I love grolnok though because he's usually been too stupid good when i've played with him, so i might swap him back in.

- darksteel splicer + panthaza (-2 net cc)
panthaza costs less, but gives us actual cards vs tokens. Splicer had too fragile of a body and could easily be killed. I already have sliver hivelord and knight exemplar so losing indestructible is not terrible.

- lilianas contract + throne of the grim captain (-3 net cc)
both net 4 cards. throne more in the long run (and free) vs immediately (but have to pay cc) with contract. Lilianas contract is a risky play because once you play it, you immediately become everyone's target.

- realmwalker + changeling titan (+2 net cc)
i only ran changeling hero (sakashima + moritte lets you combo out if planned well), but def want another big guy with new cards like pnathaza around and the loss of kogla.

- vedalken aethermage + intrepid Paleontologist (0 net cc)
both cost 2 mana, but let you recast creatures that are dead or would be dead. paleontologist lets you recast multiples and also taps for mana. seems the better of the two to me.

overall, my mana curve went down a little and i gained another mana dork.

With the addition of ashcoat, sauron, and soon to be hakbal, my changelings are getting bigger and bigger. Hilariously, one game i had a 57/57 orc army (Sauron + sakashima, i was not drawing any changelings...) that kept getting chump blocked. Stuff like Orcish Siegemaster and Herald of Hoofbeats might be more relevant.

I am also thinking of making the following changes:

- Cryptic Gateway + Pyre of Heroes
With all the graveyard recursion, pyre of heroes can fill the graveyard pretty nicely. Things like going from Irregular Cohort into Admiral Brass, Unsinkable and recurring irregular cohort can be pretty powerful plays. Cryptic Gateway costs 5 and is a do nothing card unless you have 2 tribal creatures out to benefit. It can be extremely powerful but my opponents have learned to snipe my changelings when i get too many.

materpillar
the caterpillar

Agh they just spoiled poetic ingenuity which is basically another Malcolm, Keen-Eyed Navigator. Maybe that one over Welcome to... // Jurassic Park. Dunno. -.-

There's also wandering throne which just seems like a slam include (if you want just all the triggers with Clara Oswald, Harmonic Prodigy, and Naban, Dean of Iteration also exist). It's kinda a Changeling and seems busted good with multiple cards in my deck (Risen Reef/Reaper King/Be'lakor, the Dark Master).
Zyren wrote:
6 months ago
I like Throne of the Grim Captain // The Grim Captain because its a good answer to a creature board wipe. When I played with this deck a few days ago, there were 4 board wipes, so the game was painfully slow. being able to crack this right after a board wipe would be a crazy good play. It also fuels ashcoat, which is in my deck. It can also fuel admiral brass.
That's why I jam so many indestructible effects. Oh goodness, I forgot Ashcoat of the Shadow Swarm even existed there's been so many spoilers.
I'm not sure about Welcome to... // Jurassic Park. I don't like the fact that it nukes all of our changelings on the third counter. I usually have enough of a problem with my opponents killing my stuff because my board is a threat. I can see how it would be good if you're expecting a board wipe in the next turn or so, but it could hurt us more than our opponents. The escape cost can be brutal to re-cast all our changelings that were nuked.
I misread it. I thought it let me turn opposing creatures into Walls. It's way more narrow as removal so I'll probably roll with the other new Dino card I saw instead.
- Cryptic Gateway + Pyre of Heroes
With all the graveyard recursion, pyre of heroes can fill the graveyard pretty nicely. Things like going from Irregular Cohort into Admiral Brass, Unsinkable and recurring irregular cohort can be pretty powerful plays. Cryptic Gateway costs 5 and is a do nothing card unless you have 2 tribal creatures out to benefit. It can be extremely powerful but my opponents have learned to snipe my changelings when i get too many.
That makes sense to me. I think Pyre of Heroes will be better in your list. I just like a more defensive/control build and Cryptic Gateway lets me play that style a lot easier. I already have a ton of decks with heavy graveyard recursion so I'm personally trying not to go that route. It's getting harder and harder to resist though. -_-

materpillar
the caterpillar

Deeproot Historian, Progenitor's Icon, Gemcutter Buccaneer are also probably good enough to consider.

Wrathful Raptors goes with Spiteful Sliver if you want to kill the table with Blasphemous Act/Psionic Sliver.

master of the dark rites is a super solid sac outlet if you're in the market for that.

order of the sacred dusk is cute but probably not good enough.

If you're on the saboteur path curious altisaur and arm-mounted anchor is another couple of those effects.

Dusk Legion Sergeant is a cute wrath protection/sacrifice enabler.

From the Rubble is excellent recursion but maybe a bit steep at 6cmc.

So many cards to consider. >.<

Tribbles

Post by Tribbles » 6 months ago

materpillar wrote:
6 months ago
I think it's time for a second decklist, haha. The amount of new products they're battering us with is exhausting...

materpillar
the caterpillar

Tribbles wrote:
6 months ago
materpillar wrote:
6 months ago
I think it's time for a second decklist, haha. The amount of new products they're battering us with is exhausting...
I think I could make 3 separate decklists with the only overlap being a handful of mana dorks and changelings.

materpillar
the caterpillar

Post by materpillar » 4 months ago

Today on "what random tribe did they print a busted legendary creature for" we have an elf/wolf hybrid with Voja, Jaws of the Conclave.

Card seems pretty good.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”