Velomachus Lorehold - Big Boros

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin
Pronoun: he / him

Post by ISBPathfinder » 3 years ago

Well, ok I do REALLY love creatures with a Lightning Angel / Akroma, Angel of Wrath kind of ability lines. The combination of haste + vigilance + flying is just so great I can't help but poke at commanders like this. I really love the added card advantage of this commander as well so I guess I sort of needed to brew a list.

Some things that I was brewing in this list were:
  • Sweepers - One of the better boros instant / sorcery 5 of less mana spells tend to be sweepers so I am immediately interested in ways in which I can sweep a good portion of the board but leave Velomachus Lorehold alive.
  • Extra Combat - Every time I can generate another instance of combat I get to trigger Velomachus Lorehold to cast a spell again as well as pressure an opponent.
  • Monarch - Given that my commander can attack and defend not to mention comes out with haste it seems as though I could potentially defend and or retake monarch. I wanted a bit of sustainible card draw and I felt like the few monarch effects I added work well with some of the sweepers I included as well as just being able to defend me a bit.
  • Cleansing Wildfire / Geomancer's Gambit can target Cascading Cataracts, Darksteel Citadel, and Flagstones of Trokair to give me ramp and cantrip but they can also serve to answer big target lands like an opponents Cabal Coffers.
This is a fairly early list for it but mostly I was just looking to ramp some mana, defend myself, and sweep the board. Its possible that I should have more artifact / enchantment sweeping options too and lets be honest, Austere Command is always fairly good but I was trying to stick primarily to spells that were 5 or less for the commander. Its probably right to add Austere Command in yet but I would need to figure out what I would cut for that.

Decklist

COMMANDER (1)

PLANESWALKER (1)

Approximate Total Cost:

[EDH] Vadrok List (Suicide Chads) | Evelyn List (Vamp Mill) | Sanwell List | Danitha List | Indominus List | Ratadrabik List

Tags:

Ruiner

Post by Ruiner » 3 years ago

Scroll Rack seems like a great card to include to try to control what the commander's trigger gets. Land Tax is the obvious combo if you like that sort of thing.

Blackblade Reforged is always a classic if you are trying to win through combat damage.

Restore Balance might be worth trying. I suppose if it is followed by someone using Swords or Path to remove your commander, recovery might be rough though.

MeowZeDung
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by MeowZeDung » 3 years ago

ISBPathfinder wrote:
3 years ago
Cleansing Wildfire / Geomancer's Gambit can target Cascading Cataracts, Darksteel Citadel, and Flagstones of Trokair to give me ramp and cantrip but they can also serve to answer big target lands like an opponents Cabal Coffers.
...How have I never known about this? That's smooth dude. Thanks for highlighting it.
Kykar primer and other active decks (click!)

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

Ruiner wrote:
3 years ago
Scroll Rack seems like a great card to include to try to control what the commander's trigger gets. Land Tax is the obvious combo if you like that sort of thing.

Blackblade Reforged is always a classic if you are trying to win through combat damage.

Restore Balance might be worth trying. I suppose if it is followed by someone using Swords or Path to remove your commander, recovery might be rough though.
Scroll Rack - There is value to it but honestly I like it more in situations where I am trying to not find cards except through an activation like my commanders. Its true that I could set something from my hand back on top but I don't really see the need for that. It makes more sense to do with other commanders that might be cheating something out that costs more than the ability or where you are a toolbox deck but that doesn't really feel like what I am doing here. I will talk about Land Tax separately given its not in my list.

Land Tax - So I have a few things to say about this card, I own like 3-5 of them but honestly I haven't played one in several years now and I have a LOT of white decks. My first issue is that my current meta doesn't play a lot of dedicated ramp anymore. I would say on average its probably one in three games that there is someone playing a ramp deck so on average my assumption is that nobody is really dedicated ramp in an average game. People still ramp, but honestly I see a lot more artifact ramp than I do green ramp decks which hurts this card. I also care about making all my land drops given that I am a seven mana commander which is fine and Land Tax helps to do (if I miss drops) but my other big issue is that Land Tax actually sucks the better your card draw is. Getting lands to hand is great and all but if you are actually drawing a number of cards in a turn then then you are probably drawing lands anyways. I can't actually say that my draw is sufficient as I haven't played this deck yet but I would rather dial my draw in which in my opinion is a better

Blackblade Reforged - My concern right now is that I am running an expensive commander with haste. He is already going to be a target and the extra combats are already increasing my clock not to mention that there are a few boosts to size in my landbase that I hid away as stuff that can just sort of passively buff my commander up. I thought about it as well as a number of other sources to increase my output like
Fiery Emancipation but ultimately I felt like with some small buffs in my land and the extra combats I was pushing for enough extra damage already. I ultimately want to play this more like a control deck than I do a put all the things on it kind of deck. In a way the extra combats are already heavily reliant

Restore Balance - Ha thats funny. I am not really sure where I stand on that in comparison to mass LD given it would take my commander at which point I am not sure that Balance is a great effect. I will have to give it a little more thought I guess. It seems like a bad card to draw though.
MeowZeDung wrote:
3 years ago
ISBPathfinder wrote:
3 years ago
Cleansing Wildfire / Geomancer's Gambit can target Cascading Cataracts, Darksteel Citadel, and Flagstones of Trokair to give me ramp and cantrip but they can also serve to answer big target lands like an opponents Cabal Coffers.
...How have I never known about this? That's smooth dude. Thanks for highlighting it.
There are a few other cool tricks to this deck too if you look at the lands. Weathered Wayfarer has some sick things it can assemble if you get it in opening hands.
This is just essentially a one white mana land + Wayfarer start that results in having 7 mana on turn 4 and the cool thing about it is it results in negative land count which makes it easier to keep going with wayfarer.

I really like the amount of play and options I have with Flagstones of Trokair in this list. Its a really cool card when you get to do dumb things like what this deck can do with it.
[EDH] Vadrok List (Suicide Chads) | Evelyn List (Vamp Mill) | Sanwell List | Danitha List | Indominus List | Ratadrabik List

kraus911

Post by kraus911 » 3 years ago

Couple of thoughts.

Slash the Ranks will sometimes not be the card you want, but pretty good percentage of the time will be good.
Command Beacon seems good with such an expensive commander, as does (maybe) Geode Golem. I've always been curious whether the golem would be any good.
I wish Akroma's Will was worth a slot but your dragon already has a couple of the keywords on it. Indestructible, lifelink, and double strike are decent additions though.

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

kraus911 wrote:
3 years ago
Couple of thoughts.

Slash the Ranks will sometimes not be the card you want, but pretty good percentage of the time will be good.
Command Beacon seems good with such an expensive commander, as does (maybe) Geode Golem. I've always been curious whether the golem would be any good.
I wish Akroma's Will was worth a slot but your dragon already has a couple of the keywords on it. Indestructible, lifelink, and double strike are decent additions though.
Slash the Ranks - Yea I get that. I figure for now I want to try it out and see how things go. Given that our commander is a seven drop I think it will be quite strong while he is in play but it might also be weak when he isn't. I really wanted to go with sweepers that don't kill the commander though. I will keep an eye on it as I get to do some testing as I totally get what you mean on this. If I am just curving into a wrath its going to be a letdown but I think it gets better as the game goes on so I am willing to give it a shot. I also looked at several other wraths that players choose one creature and sac the rest but I felt like this was a little better as it takes away the opponents choices so in the case that they have an eldrazi that isn't indestructible or something it takes away the choice to keep whatever they want. Also, I hate planeswalkers and this keeps me from having to attack them down which is cool. Its possible though that I might end up looking at more of the red sweeper effects although I do wish there were more versions of Storm's Wrath. Most of the red sweepers that don't involve X tend to be 2-3 damage sweepers like say Deafening Clarion or jump up to do more damage than I want like Hour of Devastation.

Command Beacon - I always think of this card as a means of casting otherwise uncastable commanders (talking like Haakon, Stromgald Scourge and Phage the Untouchable). Something about this being a single use effect just rubs me the wrong way. I get the appeal of this card, I guess what I don't like about it is that its a colorless land that the utility of it is sort of post commander dying 1+ times which just feels so far down the road to me. The one good thing I can say about it is that it lowers your land count which does help some of white's land search effects. Outside of that though a card like Myriad Landscape can get you to your commander faster the first time and give just as much help on recasting the commander down the road but also contributes towards Emeria, the Sky Ruin working (at the cost of putting you ahead on lands which makes the white land search things harder to function). I just think that its such a late utility effect that doesn't do anything for me upfront for me to be really happy with that. A deck like this being two color with a late commander with low color demands does make it easier to run utility lands I just think that there are a lot of utility lands you could consider that I am not running yet. I don't have any strip mines for instance (mostly because I have a few nonland effects to cover that effect) but I could also consider mazes or token production utility lands in place of that same spot. I don't like this land more than the utility I already have in the list.

Akroma's Will - I had it in the list as a possible early on but I cut it somewhat quickly when I realized that I was going to have all the extra combat effects. It could be better if you need to punch through some big flying blockers but the way that the commander would cast it before blockers are declared sort of removes a lot of the reason to run it. The extra combats just eclipsed it somewhat quickly for me.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”