Lazav, the Multifarious | Graveyard Shapeshifting Voltron

SpicyMuffinz
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by SpicyMuffinz » 1 year ago

Here is my current list.
Decklist

Commander (1)

Approximate Total Cost:

When building a high-power deck, my general philosophy is that if you play good cards, you will win games. Most of the creature choices in the deck (with the exception of the Artificer's Intuition package) are good cards without Lazav. I don't run many cards that specifically support Lazav outside of Dreadnought, Ginegerbrute, and Vector Asp. Lazav doesn't ask for any specific synergies, just running strong, low CMC creatures is enough to enable it. Lazav's role in the deck is to provide redundancy to my value engines and win conditions, while also being a win condition with Dreadnought.

Like @materpillar , I don't really like to play infinite combos, just not really my preferred play-style, so this deck isn't truly competitive because of that restriction. I removed the Displacer Kitten + Coveted Jewel combo I was running, as fun as that combo was, because it doesn't really utilize Lazav, and I do want Lazav to be important to the deck. After removing that combo though, I am slightly concerned that I may not have enough win conditions. If Sheoldred, the Apocalypse and Phyrexian Dreadnought both get exiled, I've probably lost the game.

All three of our lists are crazy different... but its always interesting to compare and bounce ideas off one another.

Edit: Also, if I were to run a combo, I should probably be on Bolas's Citadel, as I already run Sensei's Divining Top , and this plays well with Sheoldred.

Tags:

materpillar
the caterpillar

Post by materpillar » 1 year ago

You guys ever consider Thassa, God of the Sea? I'm going to give her a test. She uber protects lazav, offers card selection and makes him unblockable. She's also great with Phage the Untouchable :P

Toshi
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Toshi » 1 year ago

materpillar wrote:
1 year ago
You guys ever consider Thassa, God of the Sea? I'm going to give her a test. She uber protects lazav, offers card selection and makes him unblockable.
I did give her some time in the deck initially, yeah. I am sure she can put in some work in the right list, but didn't really fit mine.
Her - and Darksteel Myr's - major downside was that she doesn't offer much protection in my meta, as exile removal and force sac are the main threats. Paying for evasion on top feels a little odd when you are already running plenty of evasive Weenies like i do. Scry is pretty neat, but i wish it were surveil, lol.

materpillar
the caterpillar

Toshi wrote:
1 year ago
Her - and Darksteel Myr's - major downside was that she doesn't offer much protection in my meta, as exile removal and force sac are the main threats. Paying for evasion on top feels a little odd when you are already running plenty of evasive Weenies like i do. Scry is pretty neat, but I wish it were surveil, lol.
If you don't have devotion (which I don't think I will most of the time) Lazav will turn into a non-creature enchantment (that's indestructible), won't that dodge basically all non-Farewell removal? Using her is the same mana as turning Lazav into unblockable Gingerbrute or whatnot. You just can't do it EOT and then untap. If it didn't work out well for you it didn't though. I'm excited to give it a whirl.

materpillar
the caterpillar

Been going over my decks today, think I'm going to give Containment Construct a try over Slippery Scoundrel.

Toshi
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

Post by Toshi » 1 year ago

materpillar wrote:
1 year ago
Been going over my decks today, think I'm going to give Containment Construct a try over Slippery Scoundrel.
Sounds like a great plan! Slippery Scoundrel has been a lacklustre Invisible Stalker anyhow and Containment Construct has been opening up a lot of dorky lines in my Gallia of the Endless Dance deck!
In context of my own list, it would be especially neat with Disciple of Deceit, Muddle the Mixture and Thirst for Discovery - on top of the obvious Whispering Madness/Windfall/Jace's Archivist interactions.

materpillar
the caterpillar

Post by materpillar » 9 months ago

Cruel Somnophage // Can't Wake Up seems like a slam dunk.

Toshi
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

Post by Toshi » 9 months ago

materpillar wrote:
9 months ago
Cruel Somnophage // Can't Wake Up seems like a slam dunk.
Oh, for sure!
Considering the cheapest you can get its P/T set is Nighthowler, going down a pip, being able to enable itself and more is super juicy.
On top of all that, you could transmute Dimir Infiltrator or Muddle the Mixture for it!

I will need two Alt Art ones for this deck and my 5C Adventure list!

Toshi
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

Post by Toshi » 8 months ago

New Cards
+ 1 Cruel Somnophage // Can't Wake Up - As pointed out, this is great to both self-mill as well as punch people.
+ 1 Otherworldly Gaze - I can't believe i overlooked this one for so long. The utility is amazing!
+ 1 Picklock Prankster // Free the Fae - Instant speed mill that could return Interaction on a Vigilance + Evasion body? GET IN

Cuts
- 1 Lose Focus - More often than not this turned out to be Cancel for Cancel mana. Yikes.
- 1 Phyrexian Soulgorger - Aside from Phyrexian Dreadnought i am drawn away from fixed-power creatues more and more. Hunted Horror has a great rate, but might get axed as well, if they print yet another scaling option.
- 1 Wake Thrasher - Still a super cool card, it's not as reliable as others though.

Honestly, Wilds of Eldraine didn't bring us much when it comes to quantity, but the additions are really, really good in terms of versatility!
Way too often am i milling the interaction i might need and Picklock Prankster // Free the Fae is just perfect in all aspects for this deck.

materpillar
the caterpillar

Post by materpillar » 8 months ago

Got a game in yesterday.

Lazav, the Multifarious ate a Wrong Turn. He countered my Lazotep Plating with Fierce Guardianship which was some BS. I didn't get Lazav back until turn 9 so I lost. But on turn 9 I cast Lazav, Dimir Mastermind. Turn him into Gingerbrute. Move to attacks. Opponent Disenchants him. Response he's a Phyrexian Devourer. Stack a bunch of exile triggers. Lazav, the Multifarious is now Ashnod, Flesh Mechanist. Triggers resolve, Lazav, the Multifarious is now a 67/67 and Disenchant fizzles. Lazav, the Multifarious is now a Gingerbrute. 1-shot my opponent.
Opponent: "I can't believe you run bull**** like Phage the Untouchable in that deck"
Me: Chef's Kiss

On another note Ashnod, Flesh Mechanist was insane.
T1 Ashnod, Flesh Mechanist
T2 Butcher Ghoul, sac it for a powerstone
T3 Sac it for another one.
T4 Lesser Masticore, sac it for a powerstone
T5 Lazav, the Multifarious, turn him into a Butcher Ghoul sac him for a powerstone

Toshi
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

Post by Toshi » 8 months ago

materpillar wrote:
8 months ago
I cast Lazav, Dimir Mastermind. Turn him into Gingerbrute. Move to attacks. Opponent Disenchants him.
Damn, that sounds so sweet and i especially love the Powerstone harvesting line!

Only question i have is how your opponent could Disenchant your Lazav, Dimir Mastermind, since Lazav, Dimir Mastermind retains hexproof. Am i missing information?

materpillar
the caterpillar

Post by materpillar » 8 months ago

Toshi wrote:
8 months ago
materpillar wrote:
8 months ago
I cast Lazav, Dimir Mastermind. Turn him into Gingerbrute. Move to attacks. Opponent Disenchants him.
Damn, that sounds so sweet and i especially love the Powerstone harvesting line!

Only question i have is how your opponent could Disenchant your Lazav, Dimir Mastermind, since Lazav, Dimir Mastermind retains hexproof. Am i missing information?
Whoops wrong Lazav quoted there. It was my general the whole time.

Toshi
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

Post by Toshi » 3 months ago

Man, i really gotta update my list soon!
I gotta say Cruel Somnophage // Can't Wake Up and The Ancient One were great additions i haven't mentioned yet.
I'm also sure that Dalek Squadron and Hunted Bonebrute could do some fun stuff in here.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”