Rocco - Elfball Toolbox

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin
Pronoun: he / him

Post by ISBPathfinder » 2 years ago

I honestly didn't even know that Rocco, Cabaretti Caterer existed and then I opened it in a pack the other day and had to read it. I thought it was really cool and I was kind of kicking around the card in my head trying to figure out if it was a hatebears commander or what. I decided in the end to roll it up as an elfball concept because of the fact that elves have such high mana output when they get going and the fact that the commander itself is an elf means it can tutor up Wirewood Symbiote which can reload the commander to hand seemed cool.

I started out by building elves then I started dipping into a few other ideas for some pickup tutors for my commander giving me some protection, grave hate, and other minor utility. I think there is a lot of room for the what about adding card X for this situation which I am not opposed to but I also want a lot of the non elves to be powerful silver bullets. I don't want to get my non elf count too high but if there are some great non elf cards I missed point them out by all means.

Decklist

COMMANDER (1)

PLANESWALKER

Approximate Total Cost:

[EDH] Vadrok List (Suicide Chads) | Evelyn List (Vamp Mill) | Sanwell List | Danitha List | Indominus List | Ratadrabik List

Tags:

Arebennian
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Arebennian » 2 years ago

Naya Elves big advantage to me seems to be the ability to grant haste to your elves. Turning all your Priest of Titania effects into Gaea's Cradle and Llanowar elves into Earthcraft effects seems good to me. Untappers are also the other great aspect of delving into white.

So in terms of the Toolbox cards:
Goro-Goro, Disciple of Ryusei
Samut, Voice of Dissent
Village Bell-ringer

The ability to combo off on your turn and not be interacted with (as your not running blue) seems to mean Grand Abolisher type effects would be of benefit too. Dosan, the Falling Leaf is probably the only other one worth considering, but you really only need one thanks to Rocco, right?

Other potential stuff: Umbral Mantle; Nythos, Shrine to nix; Crop Rotation; Elvish Guidance

Just glancing through, Explore seems subpar. So too do Smuggler's Share (seems slow for a deck with mana and card availability through other means); Zendikar Resurgent (So high on the curve. Keeper of Progenitus perhaps? Kodama of the East Tree ?) the Muses (windborn = kill them first + Seedborn = only really synergises with Yeva, Shalai, and Ezuri (sort of )). I also don't know about Shalai. I'm not sure the effect is worth going off tribe for. There is Eladamri, Lord of Leaves, but then you can't bounce or untapped your own stuff. There are other creatures that give hex proof to 'all' creatures. There is that new human from Innistrad that even untaps one. Can't think of the name right now.

Instead of Avacyn, what about Hofri Ghostforge or Gerrard, Weatherlight Hero? Seem to protect you from the same sort of sweepers.

Also, rather than Ooze, perhaps Loaming Shaman that exiles an entire graveyard on entry or Endurance that does something similar? You can bounce these back with Temur Sabretooth and

Greater Good + Craterhoof would obviously be great. So too Survival of the Fittest (which doubles as a haste enabler with Anger and slow draw engine with Squee or Masked Admirers or perhaps on budget, Fauna Shaman.

I'd say it is worth running a couple more tutor too, even with your commander (as it isn't the most efficient rate). Eladamri's Call might be better thanChord of Calling here. Moon-Blessed Cleric is on tribe Enlightened Tutor.

I guess it depends on how much you want to combo and be 'fair', and how much your willing to push it as to which direction you go.

Pokken's Untapping Samut thread would be worth looking over for ideas.

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

Arebennian wrote:
2 years ago
Naya Elves big advantage to me seems to be the ability to grant haste to your elves. Turning all your Priest of Titania effects into Gaea's Cradle and Llanowar elves into Earthcraft effects seems good to me. Untappers are also the other great aspect of delving into white.

So in terms of the Toolbox cards:
Goro-Goro, Disciple of Ryusei
Samut, Voice of Dissent
Village Bell-ringer

The ability to combo off on your turn and not be interacted with (as your not running blue) seems to mean Grand Abolisher type effects would be of benefit too. Dosan, the Falling Leaf is probably the only other one worth considering, but you really only need one thanks to Rocco, right?

Other potential stuff: Umbral Mantle; Nythos, Shrine to nix; Crop Rotation; Elvish Guidance

Just glancing through, Explore seems subpar. So too do Smuggler's Share (seems slow for a deck with mana and card availability through other means); Zendikar Resurgent (So high on the curve. Keeper of Progenitus perhaps? Kodama of the East Tree ?) the Muses (windborn = kill them first + Seedborn = only really synergises with Yeva, Shalai, and Ezuri (sort of )). I also don't know about Shalai. I'm not sure the effect is worth going off tribe for. There is Eladamri, Lord of Leaves, but then you can't bounce or untapped your own stuff. There are other creatures that give hex proof to 'all' creatures. There is that new human from Innistrad that even untaps one. Can't think of the name right now.

Instead of Avacyn, what about Hofri Ghostforge or Gerrard, Weatherlight Hero? Seem to protect you from the same sort of sweepers.

Also, rather than Ooze, perhaps Loaming Shaman that exiles an entire graveyard on entry or Endurance that does something similar? You can bounce these back with Temur Sabretooth and

Greater Good + Craterhoof would obviously be great. So too Survival of the Fittest (which doubles as a haste enabler with Anger and slow draw engine with Squee or Masked Admirers or perhaps on budget, Fauna Shaman.

I'd say it is worth running a couple more tutor too, even with your commander (as it isn't the most efficient rate). Eladamri's Call might be better thanChord of Calling here. Moon-Blessed Cleric is on tribe Enlightened Tutor.

I guess it depends on how much you want to combo and be 'fair', and how much your willing to push it as to which direction you go.

Pokken's Untapping Samut thread would be worth looking over for ideas.
Thanks for all the input I will try to walk through everything best I can.

Haste - I thought about this as well. I think its probably important to not have a cost to activate haste if I am going to push harder on running it. I thought about running Purphoros, Bronze-Blooded for the really hard to remove setup which would be helpful if I get swept in that it likely survives most sweepers that would take out my creatures. I think Samut, Voice of Dissent is a good idea as well but some of my concern is just like, do I value haste enough to tutor for it or do I need to increase my density in hopes of drawing it because I will be too busy tutoring other things? With any non elf creatures I think its valuable to sort of question if they are going to be what I am tutoring for and in what situation that happens and I have a hard time evaluating where haste stands on that for me. Haste is mostly a proactive gameplan rather than a reactive answer / hatebear but for it to be relivant I generally probably need to have card draw and mana generation already sort of going nicely for it to really make sense. I guess that is my biggest concern with questioning haste offhand is that it feels like I need other things working and I probably am going to want to feel like I am ahead and don't need to answer or defend my position with one of my protection means. I did include Lightning Greaves but its a non creature but I liked how cheap it was in comparison for what it does and it also doubles well as a paired protection with Avacyn as they can protect each other. The big question with haste for me is mostly do I plan to tutor for it which I feel like the answer is.... probably a no so if I want haste I might need a few outlets for it or to ignore it.

Combo - I generally dislike combo. Its just a personal thing. I did consider doing a Devoted Druid infinite but I just kind of hate infinite combo so I opted to throw it out. I wouldn't mind it too much if I got some combination of haste + draw that just chained mana dorks into a huge turn of horrible but I don't like going infinite. I don't see a lot of blue control but I do see a decent bit of spot interaction and a few sweepers here and there. The protection on my turn stuff can be decent but I just see more spot interaction than counter magic which is going to push me more towards Sylvan Safekeeper sort of defenses. It does depend a bit on what meta decisions are for this but spot interaction isn't going to throw much of a wrench into my commander's tutors where counter magic would. If it was more of a concern of mine I could see doing the shift in defensive layers.

Umbral Mantle - I hate infinite combos. Its a personal thing but the only purpose seems to be to go infinite which I don't want to do.
Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx - Good call I totally missed Nykthos. I usually don't run it in a 3 color deck but this is practically a green deck with two splashes.
Crop Rotation - Maybe. I was thinking a bit on some of the creature based versions like Knight of the Reliquary and Ulvenwald Hydra. I am not really convinced for the most part but I do have a lot of valuable lands and while I do have Elvish Reclaimer in my list right now I did think that I might want another card or two to help me get them out. Crop Rotation does have the advantage of being super cheap but its lack of even being a 1 for 1 leaves me mostly thinking that Crop Rotation is good when things are already going well. The lack of adding another card to hand and being a 1 for 0 sort of a situation where you take a card in hand and result in one less card in hand with an improvement to your board but no more cards on hand often make me feel like I would rather have Sylvan Scrying instead. Where I tend to really see Crop Rotation shine is in decks that run Bojuka Bog as an instant speed graveyard interaction play. I might want another card here but with already having an elf that can perform this for me, Sylvan Scrying might be my next consideration offhand.
Elvish Guidance - I thought about it and its probably fine but its a non creature and I only have two cards that interact with it being Earthcraft and Arbor Elf. Earthcraft is already insane all on its own but it would be funny to pull off. I just felt like being a noncreature was not a positive asset for me with this one.

Explore - Its just an effect that I like. Drawing a card for cheap is always kind of relivant and in the early game its ramp but later on even if you topdeck it on an empty hand its still a cheap cantrip. I like it a lot more than I do dedicated ramp because of its late game ability to cheaply be thrown back for another draw. I am not glued to it and its possible that some of the other non basic land tutors like Sylvan Scrying might be more relivant given how much power I have in my nonbasic lands.
Smuggler's Share - I haven't gotten to see it in action yet so its hard for me to theorize but I have high hopes with this card. It could easily pay for itself in a turn between the draw and ramp potential it has. I see a LOT of landfall decks in my meta that draw a bunch of cards so it has the potential to do a lot of work for me. I don't know if this is a meta thing but I pre ordered four of these things and I need to see it in action before I can do more than hypothetically think about it.
Zendikar Resurgent - It does cost a ton of mana but it has that draw a card on creature cast function I am looking for. With how many mana dorks I have in this list I could very easily pay for it primarily with mana dorks and recover most of my spent mana after cast with the mana production of it. Its really primarily in the list for the drawing cards rather than its mana production but there are only so many Guardian Project effects.
Keeper of Progenitus - I am not sure if you are suggesting this from the standpoint of Zendikar Resurgent. Its an interesting card as far as ramp goes but I also have a lot of my mana gen not come from my lands so I don't know that I want to ramp my opponents too.
Kodama of the East Tree - Its a good card for tempo but it needs draw to support it and its a non elf. I think that its value as tempo is lost a little bit with how much mana generation the elves give me I think I would be better served by a mass haste effect to let new dorks tap for mana as well.
Windborn Muse - I considered a few other cards like Mirri, Weatherlight Duelist and Serra's Emissary but in the end I opted to play the Muse mostly because its an effect I myself can overcome without a ton of effort due to just mana throughput. I didn't want something that could be cloned or stolen to backfire on me too badly and I felt like Mirri and the angel were both cards my deck would have a very hard overcoming if copied or stolen which I opted to not run them because. If I wasn't worried about this I would probably be running Mirri as my token swarm protection but swarm tactics is incredibly popular where I am at and Propaganda effects work quite well. Also I felt like I didn't have a ton of ways to get Mirri tapped easily without going to combat. Outside of that was just the two earthcrafts.
Seedborn Muse - I also have Winding Canyons and we are talking about more ways to get nonbasic lands to play. There are also a few minor cards with activated abilities that could be used on each player's turns but the Canyons and Yeva, Nature's Herald were my main plans here. It is a bit of a fragile play with a lot of attention to it but the commander does serve as a tutor which can help set up the other parts of this and I think the payoff is strong.
Shalai, Voice of Plenty - I felt that it was at least interesting in that it had the mana sink for an anthem while also protecting other creatures. I ended up dislikping Eladamri, Lord of Leaves because he cut off my Wirewood Symbiote interaction as well as not protecting other valuable assets like Gaddock Teeg / Muses / Avacyn which pairing Shalai with some of the other non elves can be powerful I didn't find a lot of my elves to be directly the things I necessarily needed to protect from spot interaction. I did consider cutting some sort of mass hexproof effect and just relying on Sylvan Safekeeper as my defense but I liked Shalai's activated ability still somewhat with this deck's mana throughput potential. Shalai + Seedborn Muse seemed like a decent enough boardstate to make me at least interested in the potential she brought. Not sure which legend you are referring to as the last suggestion but Saryth, the Viper's Fang might also be interesting in this spot for the untap effect. It would let me untap elves and most of the hatebears that I need to keep alive mostly don't tap while letting me possibly feed a lot of mana through elves or keep a protection effect up for them. I will probably pick up a copy of the fang and do some testing when I get a chance between the two.
Avacyn, Angel of Hope / Hofri Ghostforge / Gerrard, Weatherlight Hero - Avacyn herself having indestructible stops opponents from shooting her with a number of kill spells before sweeping which the other two don't accomplish. Being a huge vigilant beater is also powerful and useful in case someone is doing voltron tactics Avacyn is a big ass brick wall that makes it hard to fly / trample past which is also useful. Elves kind of don't do flying well and a voltron flying concept could be an issue and I like Avacyn as an answer to both flyers and control strategies. Pairing Avacyn with some spot protection like Sylvan Safekeeper makes for a very robust board that generally will require a Cyclonic Rift or Toxic Deluge to break through it (annoyingly the same two spells that give Gaddock Teeg issues).
Scavenging Ooze / Loaming Shaman / Endurance - In my experience there are a few things that need to go quickly in graveyards but even the option to cherry pick 2-3 out at a time is usually plenty. I like Ooze for the continued pressure it brings on graveyards beyond just entering play. It often forces the graveyard decks to answer it and that usually comes after I wreck what they have going on. This deck should also generale a LOT of green mana so I feel like Ooze should be quite powerful as my graveyard answer of choice. Getting a bit of life and a big old boy also gives good attacker / blocker options with the ooze.
Craterhoof Behemoth - I hate this card and continuously campaign for its banning. I can't really bring myself to play a card I keep asking to be banned. It is so far above and beyond the best overrun finisher its not even fair. That said, no I will not be playing him and its entirely due to how good it is.
Survival of the Fittest / Chord of Calling / Finale of Devastation / Eladamri's Call - I actually ended up cutting most of the other tutors out of the deck as my commander is somewhat dedicated for that purpose. I kept Green Sun's Zenith just because of how efficient it is but I felt like I didn't really need most of the rest of them. I get that once I am recasting my commander it will get less efficient than these cards but I wanted to break away from running a lot of them in part because.... well do I really need them with this commander? Also several of them lose out on the on creature cast benefit. Survival specifically I don't think I have enough discard / sac to support things that I want to be binning and with Finale I felt like I would only be casting it as a finisher and I just scrapped the whole lot of them.
Fauna Shaman - I wouldn't call her just budget survival from the standpoint that she is an elf which matters and a creature in play. I have several things that draw me cards based on my creatures / casting creatures so I would probably be more keen on including her into the deck than survival itself. Her mana cost can also be recovered through several things that count my elves / creatures in play as well. I will see if I can't make room for her because I think there is value in an elf that "can" accomplish some of these things over something dedicated on an enchantment where the enchantment might be better in a bubble I have a lot of synergy and reason to be upping my creatures in play.
Moon-Blessed Cleric - I do have several enchantments that would be valuable I just don't like topdeck tutors much and three mana for this effect is really not impressive even though its on an elf.

I will get Nykthos into the landbase and I think Fauna Shaman / Eladamri's Call probably do need more consideration. I agree with the idea on haste I just don't know how to evaluate it and I don't know if its like, add one creature to tutor or add a few and plan to just naturally draw them or not. Purphoros, Bronze-Blooded and Samut, Voice of Dissent are currently the two I am eyeballing but I am still not really sold.

I am still not sure where I stand on Shalai, Voice of Plenty but as I was looking for your suggestion Saryth, the Viper's Fang did seem appealing for a similar role. I would welcome some feedback on the two or if your other idea comes back let me know what it was.

Not that it was brought up but I think Toski, Bearer of Secrets could also be interesting as another draw option for the toolbox. I have a few ways to beef up creatures / elves and throwing a few counters on Toski and some elves and going in for some beat down into draw could be good. I could possibly cut one of the noncreature based draw options to include him if I wanted to get into more of a scrappy elves concept which could be a lot of fun.
[EDH] Vadrok List (Suicide Chads) | Evelyn List (Vamp Mill) | Sanwell List | Danitha List | Indominus List | Ratadrabik List

Arebennian
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Arebennian » 2 years ago

Too much to quote and such so I'll address points in bullet point form:

HASTE
Haste is mostly a proactive gameplan rather than a reactive answer / hatebear but for it to be relivant I generally probably need to have card draw and mana generation already sort of going nicely for it to really make sense. I guess that is my biggest concern with questioning haste offhand is that it feels like I need other things working and I probably am going to want to feel like I am ahead and don't need to answer or defend my position with one of my protection means.
AND
I wouldn't mind it too much if I got some combination of haste + draw that just chained mana dorks into a huge turn of horrible but I don't like going infinite.
The conflict between running enough haste granters vs one to tutor for is a dilemma. The way I see it is is that if you ARE set up to go off, having access to a tutorable haste enabler allows the toolbox approach to work. You don't pollute the deck with off tribe creatures or enchantments and only tutor it when it is desirable and you are ready to go off.

I think you may well find yourself regularly in a position where it is turn 5/6 and you have:
- 5ish elves out
- plus a Priest of Titania effect and the prospect of between 5-10 mana (with lands and untappers)
- and either a near full grip or a cantrip effect like guardian project.
Without haste, you either have to play conservatively or dump out a bunch of creatures and hope you have the board wipe protection or draw into it. With the haste, you can tap a single creature and your lands and dump a huge amount of potential damage on the board with is ready to destroy the opponents board states or life totals. Not to mention the potential untapping chains which will lead you to being more likely to cast more creatures and draw into a board protection effect. You might not need to protect your board due to the haste...

I guess what I am trying to say is that if you don't think you want haste unless you are set up to take advantage of it, then that seems the quintessence of what you are looking to do. The haste is a tool for a certain point in the game, the same way that any hate bear would be for a reactive approach. Yes, you might be set up and things are going well, but it also means that you can put your foot on the opponents metaphorical throat and close the game whilst also not dilute your deck nor succumbing to infinite combos.

6 mana to search for and activate Goro-Goro might be a lot but if you are all set up it might be a fine price to pay. It might be all you need, considering the effect will work even if they look to remove him (?). Samut's effect won't survive removal, but due to her untapping ability she should at least be mana neutral. I don't really think Purphorous, Bronze Blooded is worth the cost at 5 mana. If you want a resilient(ish) haste enabler Survival of the Fittest costs 4 to cast and activate and an additional slot in your deck (Anger) for a huge amount of upside and flexibility. With a lot of mana dorks it becomes a bit like a poor copy of earth craft too.

COMBO
I hear you. A lot of the suggestions were given out for the compact combos they provide (I'm looking at you, Umbral Mantle) as suggestions in case you weren't aware of them. Based on the general quality of your posts you appear very knowledgable about the format, but this deck didn't look as tight as many of the lists you put up, and you hadn't dismissed the combo plan in your deck outline, I thought you mightn't be actively avoiding them and just weren't aware.

CROP ROTATION
I think you want the land tutors if you are looking to do the 'vomit my hand and swing' thing. Would you run them if you were running Gaea's Cradle? If yes, then the fact that Wirewood Lodge can be Cradle -1mana, and Nythos can surmount it on occasion, would confirm their 'necessity'. I'd value Crop Rotations instant speed and cost over Sylvan Scrying's card neutrality and 3rd/4th land drop making advantages.
[EDIT] - Just checked your mana base and you ARE running Cradle! Yavimya and Elves that like Forests is a nice bit of latent synergy Cradle/Nykthos/Lodge.

KEEPER OF PROGENITUS / KODAMA OF THE EAST TREE / ZENDIKAR RESURGENT
Yeah, these were just replacements for the mana effect which are indeed likely superfluous. I'd assumed that you were running it primarily for the draw effect, but I wasn't sure. Thus the 'Perhaps?' suggestions.
I used to run resurgent in my elf lists but just couldn't deal with the cost of it for a 'do nothing' enchantment. I personally think running Moon-Blessed Cleric as another copy of Guardian Project to help 'set up' is a better plan.

ELVISH GUIDANCE
I don't think you need synergy with Arbor Elf or Earthcraft. I see it as another Growing Rites of Itlamoc with it's own pros and cons. It's a 3 mana ritual that remains on the board. I think you play it, damned the lack of 'synergy' or it being a non-creature.

WINDBORN MUSE + AVACYN
I don't think combating opposing go wide strategies with Windborn Muse is the way to go. Race them? There isn't a great option for double strike granting on a creature but there is Blade Historian or Jetmir, Nexus of Revels. If they are wide enough to really impact you then you are probably capable of triggering Jetmir too. If they don't interest you, and you are willing to play an 8 drop Angel then surely Elesh Norn would be a better option as she acts as both a wrath for the opposing go wide strategies and a pseudo overrun effect. Even Gisela, Blade of Goldnight? I personally think something like Akroma's Willor Grand Crescendo offer more, even if they aren't a creature. These double as both protection (Crescendo can be cast for WW for protection if needed) or additional damage applied to the board to swing for the win.
The same can be said for Avacyn. I don't think she is great protection for the board (although I did miss the Safekeeper on my first look through the list) and whilst she is more resilient to targeted removal than Hofri and Gerrard, an exile effect is going to feel worse thanks to the mana discrepancy. I think you just race the Voltron, even if it has lifelink. The aforementioned double strike granters might help with that. There are non-creature options, like True Conviction, but the more I think about it the more I like Jetmir/Norn to close out games instead of Muse and Avacyn.
This is sort of leading you into a more proactive approach rather than the reactive one you spelled out, but I think you will probably need to be as you are going to be so 'on board': you won't have the ability to have solutions for every problem (looking at you, Counterspell).

There is that new human from Innistrad that even untaps one. can't think of the name right now.
+ SHALAI
Saryth, the Viper's Fang is indeed the card. Not sure if she is better than Shalai. Not sure if either is the right call. Shalai definitely has some synergy, but I'm not sold yet. I'm interested to hear how it works for you.

OOZE + CRATERHOOF
Fair enough.

TUTORS
I wouldn't call her just budget survival from the standpoint that she is an elf which matters and a creature in play. I have several things that draw me cards based on my creatures / casting creatures so I would probably be more keen on including her into the deck than survival itself. Her mana cost can also be recovered through several things that count my elves / creatures in play as well. I will see if I can't make room for her because I think there is value in an elf that "can" accomplish some of these things over something dedicated on an enchantment where the enchantment might be better in a bubble I have a lot of synergy and reason to be upping my creatures in play.
Fauna Shaman does have many of the upsides that you suggested regarding being an Elf on board and enters/cast triggers. Survival is just brutal though. I think it is better than Earthcraft in many elf decks, particularly those that play red.
Circle back to Zendikar Resurgent. You were suggesting that Fauna Shaman holds those synergistic advantages over Survival in your build. I think that logic can be applied to Resurgent and tutors. Resurgent has many of the disadvantages of survival, and won't draw you a card and ins this case is the same as a tutor that searches up Beast Whisperer. That will only cost 5-6 mana verse 7 and have added flexibility and help your curve. If you're worried about having already had Beast Whisperer pass through your hands, you can find Primordial Sage and Soul of the Harvest for the same mana cost as Resurgent with Green Sun's Zenith (or +1 with Finale) if you have already drawn Beast Whisperer.

CARDS I'M INTERESTED TO SEE HOW THEY PLAY OUT
Numa, Joraga Chieftain
Immaculate Magistrate

OTHER CARDS I'M HIGHLY SKEPTICAL OF
Elvish Visionary + Llanowar Visionary: Not sure if they are impactful enough, although I like visionary more than Explore though. I think Generous Patron is better than Llanowar Visionary
Bloom Tender :I will be interested to see how often your commander is out and this interacts positively with it compared to when it only taps for 1.
Bramble Sovereign: Only because it isn't an elf. Will you need to copy things?
Nullmage Shepherd: Cost of tapping is too great.

NOTABLE OMISSIONS NOW I'VE THOUGHT ABOUT IT
There are some +1 counter synergies that you are already running that you could double down on. Incubation Druid ; Rishkar, Peema Renegade Ivy Lane Denizen Metallic Mimic.
Joraga Warcaller [/card]: Lords don't usually scale well. This one does.
Allosaurus Shepherd: Ignoring $ cost, it's better than Elvish Warmaster.
Gaea's Herald: Can't remember if you said you had a control heavy environment or not
Quirion Ranger: This is a bit of a staple. Very nice with Yavimaya in play... the other elf that likes forests along with Arbor Elf.
Seeker of Skybreak: 2 mana untapper seems strong.
Wildborn Preserver? Might solve your Voltron dilemma for a few turns. A hydra that stays on the board.
Thornweald Archer for utility
Lys Alana BowmasterNow I'm stretching!

duducrash
Still Learning

Post by duducrash » 2 years ago

Infect is ever present and -1/-1 are more and more present. Melira, Sylvok Outcast is a card that is a good tutor target depending on your meta

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

Sorry for the delay, I got sick last week then managed to play two games with this deck in a 1v1 situation over the weekend and had a lot to process based on my gameplay. I realized that this deck sort of wants to just shotgun go forward. I put all these cool hatebears in this deck to try to give it some elements of control but what it really wants to do is just play proactively until it can tutor a Craterhoof Behemoth which is really not how I want to play.

The reactive hate effects don't seem as efficient as just jamming forward and seeing if it can go off but even at that it felt like there is a lot of pieces and I need to get mana generation + card draw + haste + big finisher anthem and all of those pieces feel hard to assemble. This deck walks into sweepers in a rough kind of way that a single resolved sweeper might be GG depending on what is left of your hand and draw capabilities afterwards.

I think I want to explore some other ideas offhand. I really don't like jamming the gas and seeing how fast I can go as my only plan for a deck and I was getting the impression that this was how this deck was supposed to play unfortunately. The complexity of what it needs felt a bit too high and while I did win one of the two games I played I also absolutely scooped to a Pestilence resolving the other game.

I am probably going to explore a few thoughts with Rhys the Exiled and or Harald, King of Skemfar just to feel out some other things. Offhand I kind of like Rhys from a sac based elf deck where I would get to play into things like Birthing Pod, Skullclamp, and Grave Pact for some card advantage and control effects. I really prefer decks that have some level of interaction to them rather than just jamming the gas and seeing how fast my decks can race. I think that if you see too many decks just trying to race you probably end up in a not too healthy power creep cycle. I would break down some of the last thoughts but I think my current plan is to shift gears and try a few other things with elves that are going to probably shift gears a bit.

Ulka

Post by Ulka » 2 years ago

If you do go with Rhys the Exiled one this I loved was playing Lich effects and turning an attack into a full blown Ad Nauseam. is it fragile, Yes. but does it play really well with the explosiveness of Elfball? also yes.
Modern: Goryo's Gifts | Heartless Architect | Soul Sisters | MonoGreen Devotion
Pauper: Blackened Eggs | Zombies | Domain Zoo | Sultai Teachings | Jund Gardens

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”