Looking for advice for a Mairsil deck

NotARooster
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by NotARooster » 1 year ago

I've always wanted to build a deck around Mairsil, the Pretender and I've finally begun the process, but I'm not sure how I want to build it. I've identified several different options, including a control deck with combo finishers, a weird Voltron deck using abilities to give him keywords and increase his power, charge counter artifacts, or even an all legendary deck. If anyone here has played with Mairsil, I'd appreciate some pointers on how you built your deck and what worked well for you. Cheers!

Tags:

kirkusjones
Disciple of Dumb

Post by kirkusjones » 1 year ago

Hateflayer is pretty good with Mairsil and Quicksilver Elemental lets you cheat the "once per turn" clause.

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

Post by RxPhantom » 1 year ago

Well, I have a Merieke Ri Berit deck that revolves around abusing tap abilities. Regardless of direction, I think Illusionist's Bracers, Freed from the Real, and Magewright's Stone will be awesome here, among others. Here's my Merieke list. I imagine there will be quite a bit of overlap.

I also second the Quicksilver Elemental recommendation.
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 2/18/22 (Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty)

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy
Answers: 1
Pronoun: he / him

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 1 year ago

I would go charge counters, personally. I've never seen a Mairsil deck actually pull off the weird voltron angle, even with all the goodies.
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

Jemolk
Compulsive Jank Builder

Post by Jemolk » 1 year ago

No matter what route you ultimately go, I recommend embracing the Quicksilver Elemental combo. I tried building non-combo control Mairsil. The first time it actually did its thing, I realized I had accidentally built nondeterministic stax with a very slow wincon. Speed things up for your victims opponents and do the responsible thing; run Quicksilver Elemental.
39 Commander decks and counting. I'm sure this is fine, and not at all a problem.

Crazy Monkey
Arcane Themes

Post by Crazy Monkey » 1 year ago

I have a combo-control Mairsil which is intended to set up some value engine with Pack Rat or Aetherling to cage cards, then Pendant of Prosperity to draw cards and set up. You can use Oblivion Stone, Nevinyrral's Disk, and even Perilous Vault for board control. I also play a relatively heavy focus on charge counters, with Empowered Autogenerator and Magistrate's Scepter as large payoffs. Tawnos's Coffin is a great way to retain charge counters while resetting Mairsil, but it is a bit pricy.

Quicksilver elemental is just an all-around solid inclusion even if you're using it to value instead of combo, and including a lot of untap effects is great for keeping mana costs down.
Commander Decks

Kemba | Kytheon | Talrand | Unesh | Teferi | Geth | primer Zada | Krenko | Torbran | Patron Orochi | Ghalta | Gargos | Medomai | The Count | Xenagos | Nikya | Jaheira, Artisan | Trostani | Athreos | Jarad | Ivy | Nin | Krark & Sakashima | Feather | Osgir | Gisela | Roon | Chulane | Sydri | Ertai | Mairsil | Vial & Malcolm | Prossh | Marath | Marisi | Syr Gwyn | Riku | Riku | Animar | Ghave | Tasigur | Muldrotha | Rayami | Zedruu | Yidris | Kynaios & Tiro | Saskia | Tymna & Kydele | Atraxa | Akiri & Silas | Sisay | Ur Dragon | Bridge | Horde | Najeela | Genju | Traxos

NotARooster

Post by NotARooster » 1 year ago

kirkusjones wrote:
1 year ago
Hateflayer is pretty good with Mairsil and Quicksilver Elemental lets you cheat the "once per turn" clause.
RxPhantom wrote:
1 year ago
I also second the Quicksilver Elemental recommendation.
Jemolk wrote:
1 year ago
No matter what route you ultimately go, I recommend embracing the Quicksilver Elemental combo
Quicksilver Elemental was the first card I added to the deck lol, and Hateflayer is in as a combo with Tree of Perdition
TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
1 year ago
I would go charge counters, personally. I've never seen a Mairsil deck actually pull off the weird voltron angle, even with all the goodies.
That's a shame, Mairsil Voltron looks like a fun take on the archetype. I might try it out if I start playing with some lower power level decks.
Jemolk wrote:
1 year ago
sil. The first time it actually did its thing, I realized I had accidentally built nondeterministic stax with a very slow wincon
Stax Mairsil might be a cool deck idea, but definitely not for my current playgroup lol
Crazy Monkey wrote:
1 year ago
I have a combo-control Mairsil which is intended to set up some value engine with Pack Rat or Aetherling to cage cards, then Pendant of Prosperity to draw cards and set up. You can use Oblivion Stone, Nevinyrral's Disk, and even Perilous Vault for board control. I also play a relatively heavy focus on charge counters, with Empowered Autogenerator and Magistrate's Scepter as large payoffs. Tawnos's Coffin is a great way to retain charge counters while resetting Mairsil, but it is a bit pricy.
I checked out your list, and it looks like a lot of fun! I had no idea Aetherling synergizes with Perilous Vault, that's a good way to keep everyone in check. I don't mind the price on Tawnos's Coffin, my group is fine with proxies.

Thanks for the suggestions so far, gonna go with a control/combo build for now.

Treamayne

Post by Treamayne » 1 year ago

NotARooster wrote:
1 year ago
a weird Voltron deck using abilities to give him keywords and increase his power, charge counter artifacts, or even an all legendary deck. If anyone here has played with Mairsil, the Pretender.
Just keep in mind that Mairsil only gains activated abilities, so keywords would have to be an activated Wildborn-style "keyword until end of turn" ability. Otherwise, you will probably want to focus on an environment that gives the keywords, so that Mairsil's abilities get them to a P/T that can effectively use those abilities.

The problem is that Grixis is the wrong colors for this style of deck. Most double strike granting abilities are W, and most trample granting abilities are G; while most P/T doubling abilities are also G. Most "additional combat step" abilities are R; but they are triggered abilities (not activated) and the one that is activated is WUBRG.

I'm sure it can be done, but it will be a deck-building challenge. Goblin Goliath has potential, especially if you can get vigilance. Monstrosity could be an interesting way to gain counters. [Evasion] until end of turn seems easy to come by (especially flying - GBB style). Spark Double and other ways to capitalize on the Tap abilities while still allowing your General to attack could also be good.

JFFT
V/R

Treamayne

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”