Viridian Revel

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin
Pronoun: he / him

Post by ISBPathfinder » 6 months ago

Viridian Revel

Honestly, I haven't looked at a card like this in many years now but with Treasure and weird artifact tokens everywhere these days I am wondering if you really even need to lean into a card like this to expect it to pop off some draw for you. Anyone seen anything like this lately being used? Back when it was made it was a bit too niche but we have seen so many disposable artifact tokens just stapled to the back of other cards lately I wonder if you even need to really lean into it to expect this to do some work.
[EDH] Vadrok List (Suicide Chads) | Evelyn List (Vamp Mill) | Sanwell List | Danitha List | Indominus List | Ratadrabik List

Tags:

duducrash
Still Learning

Post by duducrash » 6 months ago

I think you need to be giving tokens away to be worth it.

If it was made today it would cantrip and trigger once per turn

PrimevalCommander

Post by PrimevalCommander » 6 months ago

Common Artifact tokens with sacrifice abilities printed since this card's release: Treasure, Clue, Food, Blood, Map, Gold

I think this card looks 10x better now than it did when printed. All of these require sacrifice to activate, and now we have a slew of removal options handing out these tokens as consolation prizes. I have not been watching too close, but I would venture to guess the last several games I played has at least one of these tokens pop up, and sometimes many of them. If my mono-green deck wasn't so hyper focused on land synergy and Elemental Bond effects, I would probably make a slot to test this out. I'll look for another deck that might want this.

It still does have the primary detractor with a draw spell. You have to rely on your opponents to do certain things or play certain things. With draw especially you want to be in control of when it happens and how much you get, otherwise the high variance create low lows when it doesn't reach it's potential.

Hawk
Slayer of Threads

Post by Hawk » 6 months ago

This is one of those cards like Compost or Carpet of Flowers that is probably incredible against "The Meta", but in practice tends to feel too swingy and unreliable. I might consider this in a deck that cared about enchantments or devotion just because the ceiling is so high and that helps fix the abysmal floor a bit, and of course it's great if you are giving out tokens like Gluntch, the Bestower this is strong. This card is definitely much stronger than it was at printing (so is Fangren Marauder), but still not one I'd just slam generically into any deck.

3drinks
Kaalia's Personal Liaison

Post by 3drinks » 6 months ago

I play this in any gx deck alongside Collector Ouphe, Titania's Song, Karn, the Great Creator and Null Rod and it does exactly what it says on the tin. Either I draw a bunch of cards because people don't %$#% slow down, or they slow down to play around it while I Cultivate and Nature's Lore my way ahead. It's win/win.

Some people will say "ItS a MeTa CaRd", but the reality is, this is the environment we play in today. What table doesn't have a Prosper, Tome-Bound at it? What wx deck doesn't have Smothering Tithe? If you're going to get beat up by Old Gnawbone or Ancient Copper Dragon, you may as well draw some cards and maybe draw into your interaction for it.

Sinis
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Sinis » 6 months ago

I think 3drinks point about meta cards is the right one. If it was 1v1, it could be very dead a lot of the time, but there's three opponents every game.

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

Post by ISBPathfinder » 6 months ago

Vince just dropped a video about how much of a problem treasures are and included this card in the list of answers. I just figured the video itself was sort of related to the topic at hand as well as listing a good number of other useful cards for those who might consider this one.

[EDH] Vadrok List (Suicide Chads) | Evelyn List (Vamp Mill) | Sanwell List | Danitha List | Indominus List | Ratadrabik List

NZB2323

Post by NZB2323 » 6 months ago

Thanks for this thread. I just picked one up for my Morophon deck. Yes, it's conditional, but so is Carpet of Flowers, Dockside Extortionist, and Smuggler's Share.

I'm a big fan of Dauntless Dismantler for being an "answer" to treasure in my human tribal deck, but this card is maybe better.

Smothering Tithe, Dockside Extortionist, and black market connections are all staples. It's even better with cards like an offer you can't refuse, Get Lost, and Fateful Absence.

Plus green has plenty of artifact board wipes where this could result in a huge draw.

Edit: @ISBPathfinder, thanks for posting that video. I picked up a Disciple of the Vault for my cleric tribal deck.
Current Decks
rg Morophon, the infinite Kavu Eowyn, human tribal Legolas, voltron control Wb Tymna/Ravos cleric tribal Neheb, Chicago Bulls tribal Ug Edric pauper

Retired Decks
Edgar Markov Kaalia, angel board wipes Ghen, prison Captain Sisay Ub Nymris, draw go Sarulf, voltron control Niv-Mizzet, combo Winota Sidisi, Zombie Tribal

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

Post by ISBPathfinder » 5 months ago

I realized that Eye of Singularity has some anti treasure / clue token kind of vibes to it too on top of its historic token hate gameplan. Just thought I would mention it as its kind of in line with some of this other hate and a card I haven't seen mentioned yet.

3drinks
Kaalia's Personal Liaison

Post by 3drinks » 5 months ago

I actually like this card as I can use my equipments and sac outlets without turning them off or paying mana to keep them around. Bonus points for making young lions ask "what's an enchant world?" ah ha ha haaaa.

RowanKeltizar
Firemind

Post by RowanKeltizar » 4 months ago

I like it. I've gotten a lot of mileage out of Compost and Insight in the decks that I run those in. Enough to leave them in. Viridian Revel I personally don't own, but I've been meaning to pick up a copy. For 3 cmc, I think it's not bad at all. I mean, it's got to be better than Harmonize right?
WRBKaalia, Zenith Seeker - Certified Air Raid Material
WBElenda, the Dusk Rose - Drain and Gain
WRAurelia, the Warleader - Tokens/Equipment
URNiv-Mizzet, Parun - Controlled Burn primer
BRGHenzie, "Toolbox" Torre - Creature Feature
BRGSoul of Windgrace - Lands Matter
RGWGishath, Sun's Avatar - I'M YOUR DADDY
GWUBAtraxa, Praetors' Voice - Artifact Stax Beatdown
Budget Starter Decks
UBSygg, River Cutthroat
WU Shorikai, Genesis Engine

Sinis

Post by Sinis » 4 months ago

RowanKeltizar wrote:
4 months ago
I like it. I've gotten a lot of mileage out of Compost and Insight in the decks that I run those in. Enough to leave them in. Viridian Revel I personally don't own, but I've been meaning to pick up a copy. For 3 cmc, I think it's not bad at all. I mean, it's got to be better than Harmonize right?
This actually reminds me of people playing Reap and Seedtime a while ago. Probably terrible in 1v1, but at a 3 person table, Seedtime could be a bonafide time walk.

I think with respect to Insight, it's especially worth it if you're playing pitch spells; there are many more playable pitch spells in blue than other colours.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”