What are the decks you're not going to get round to making?

Dragonlover
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Dragonlover » 1 year ago

So, I was working on the 32 deck challenge, but have abandoned the idea as I just don't have the ability to keep 32 decks updated. That said, I had a few decks that I'd concepted that I'd like to throw out into the world in case they inspire someone, and figured I can't be the only one with ideas they won't get to. Without further ado:

Haktos the Unscarred - I was going to lean into him being the Big Damn Hero and essentially draw inspiration from Dynasty Warriors: no other actual creatures, any other guys would have been tokens to represent the fact they're just generic mooks. Chuck in various global buffs so the protection doesn't cause me issues and see where it took me. Just never got around to it.

Mortarion, Daemon Primarch - Nothing special, just your general suicide black deck. I just think it's a really cool card.

Something Sultai with Villainous Wealth in it: I just wanted somewhere to put all the theft effects, and the idea of cast Genesis Wave but on my opponent makes me cackle a little bit.

Eruth, Tormented Prophet - I actually got as far as making the decklist for this one. The idea was spellslinger voltron, so all the prowess and prowess adjacent triggers. I looked at the decklist, decided I'd hate keeping track of it all and shelved it.

Akroma, Vision of Ixidor/Sakashima of a Thousand Faces: W/U beatdown. I wanted an Azorius deck that won with commander damage, and this seemed the best way to go about it. Again, one of those decks that I have half a list for and just never followed through on.

So, what are your sweet brews you've never finished?

Dragonlover
All my decks are here

Serenade
UnderKing

Post by Serenade » 1 year ago

Galea, Kindler of Hope curses; not sure if there's enough density to make it a real strategy in these colors

Balmor, Battlemage Captain thopters; might work better with Magnus the Red at the helm

Shigeki, Jukai Visionary: Green has many ways to dump cards from your library into your GY. I don't know what to do with it beyond that. Is mono green dredge a thing? Winning with Kessig Cagebreakers and Splinterfright?
Mirri, Cat Warrior counts as a Cat Warrior.

Guardman
A Dog's Dream of Man

Post by Guardman » 1 year ago

I have four decks that I've been mulling about making that I just have never gotten around to:

Braids, Arisen Nightmare - I have most of the cards for it outside of The Meathook Massacre and Braids herself. I even have the sleeves for it (Nice Magenta Dragonshields), I've just never sat down, gone through my things and put it all together. It's been a couple of months now and I don't know if I ever will.

Adamaro, First to Desire - My mono-red group hug deck that kills people with Howling Mine, Black Vise and Gaze of Adamaro effects. I've been slowly getting the cards for it. And like Braids, I even have the sleeves for it (Some fancy Imperial Recruiter ones). But I am still missing a bunch of cards and am not sure when I am ever going to get around to getting them seeing as its been almost a year since I've gotten them.

Hazezon, Shaper of Sand - I kept telling everyone I was going to build it when I saw it previewed, but have never even touched it. And most of my green token stuff is in my Adrix and Nev, Twincasters deck anyways.

Emmara, Soul of the Accord - My soldier tribal deck. This one I've been planning to put together for years. Haven't touched it. I am pretty sure I have most of the cards for it too.

darrenhabib
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by darrenhabib » 1 year ago

Serenade wrote:
1 year ago
Shigeki, Jukai Visionary: Green has many ways to dump cards from your library into your GY. I don't know what to do with it beyond that. Is mono green dredge a thing? Winning with Kessig Cagebreakers and Splinterfright?
I've built Shigeki, Jukai Visionary in several forms. I built a Titania, Voice of Gaea but after a few games I just wasn't using Titania from the command zone in a useful way other than a finisher, so swapped out with Shigeki. Very very powerful card. Makes it into most of my green decks 99.
I have a Hermit Druid theme for the dredge.

Jemolk
Compulsive Jank Builder

Post by Jemolk » 1 year ago

I have several decks sitting around in various stages of completion, slowly progressing toward the point where I can sleeve them up. These are just the ones that have been sitting around partially built for ages and are still doing so, occasionally accumulating an additional card or two until I finally hit a critical mass, inspiration strikes, and I finish the deck.

Nethroi, Apex of Death AristoCats -- I wanted to build cat tribal, but in a different way from the common and obvious commanders like Rin and Seri, Inseparable and Arahbo, Roar of the World.

Syrix, Carrier of the Flame Phoenix tribal -- something about infinitely recursive creatures like phoenixes just speaks to me on a deep level. Even if they're generally pretty bad, I'm pretty confident I can leverage the virtual card advantage from an entire tribe of constant recursion to my advantage,

Runo Stromkirk // Krothuss, Lord of the Deep sea monsters -- Been wanting to do something with sea monster tribal for a long time, but it's really slow to come together. I just never really ended up devoting that much time to it. Simic value bores me; that's part of it. I was quite happy to see Runo printed for exactly that reason. Here's a sea monster deck I can really get behind.

Yennett, Cryptic Sovereign Sphinx tribal -- because it seems bizarre and therefore sufficiently up my alley.

Lynde, Cheerful Tormentor Curses -- seemed sufficiently janky and bizarre for my tastes, and would involve cards that I get to play precisely nowhere else.

Yurlok of Scorch Thrash mana burn and group slug -- the way I want to build the deck is pretty much guaranteed to be one giant deckbuilding error, with every way to overwhelm my opponents with mana I can cram in and some ways of making it a little more difficult to spend that mana, but I want to do it anyway, just because I think it would be an amusing novelty.

Reaper King Scarecrow Color Hate tribal -- no clones, no changelings, just scarecrows as far as the eye can see, and also leaning into the color changing and color dependent bits of some of the Lorwyn ones with color hate cards and things that change the colors of spells and permanents. Probably not very strong, hence why it was never high on my to-finish list, but I find the concept endlessly amusing, and I do want to finish building it at some point.
39 Commander decks and counting. I'm sure this is fine, and not at all a problem.

Dragonlover

Post by Dragonlover » 1 year ago

Serenade wrote:
1 year ago
Galea, Kindler of Hope curses; not sure if there's enough density to make it a real strategy in these colors

Balmor, Battlemage Captain thopters; might work better with Magnus the Red at the helm

Yeah I feel like for a curse based deck you need black. Maybe a weird 5c thing, then you can run Ghen, Arcanum Weaver as well as all the interesting recursion and top of deck manipulation stuff?

Balmor feels like what my Eruth deck was gonna try and do and yeah, probably just better as Magnus. That card is nutso.

Mono-G does have a *lot* of recursion, although generally to hand. yeah, I have no idea what the payoff is, that feels like a 'spend 3 days on Scryfall' kinda build.
Guardman wrote:
1 year ago
I have four decks that I've been mulling about making that I just have never gotten around to:

Braids, Arisen Nightmare - I have most of the cards for it outside of The Meathook Massacre and Braids herself. I even have the sleeves for it (Nice Magenta Dragonshields), I've just never sat down, gone through my things and put it all together. It's been a couple of months now and I don't know if I ever will.

Adamaro, First to Desire - My mono-red group hug deck that kills people with Howling Mine, Black Vise and Gaze of Adamaro effects. I've been slowly getting the cards for it. And like Braids, I even have the sleeves for it (Some fancy Imperial Recruiter ones). But I am still missing a bunch of cards and am not sure when I am ever going to get around to getting them seeing as its been almost a year since I've gotten them.

Hazezon, Shaper of Sand - I kept telling everyone I was going to build it when I saw it previewed, but have never even touched it. And most of my green token stuff is in my Adrix and Nev, Twincasters deck anyways.

Emmara, Soul of the Accord - My soldier tribal deck. This one I've been planning to put together for years. Haven't touched it. I am pretty sure I have most of the cards for it too.
I feel like we've all been there with a deck. I know there's been a few times a legends been spoiled and I've been all over it at release, but then it's just fallen by the wayside for whatever reason. I've got nothing to say specifically about any of your deck ideas, but if I had four decks in various stages of 'nearly ready' I'd be looking at why I hadn't just sleeved them up by now. I say that, mono-red group hug Adamaro sounds like an absolute blast to play, you should sleeve that one up first.
Jemolk wrote:
1 year ago
I have several decks sitting around in various stages of completion, slowly progressing toward the point where I can sleeve them up. These are just the ones that have been sitting around partially built for ages and are still doing so, occasionally accumulating an additional card or two until I finally hit a critical mass, inspiration strikes, and I finish the deck.

Nethroi, Apex of Death AristoCats -- I wanted to build cat tribal, but in a different way from the common and obvious commanders like Rin and Seri, Inseparable and Arahbo, Roar of the World.

Syrix, Carrier of the Flame Phoenix tribal -- something about infinitely recursive creatures like phoenixes just speaks to me on a deep level. Even if they're generally pretty bad, I'm pretty confident I can leverage the virtual card advantage from an entire tribe of constant recursion to my advantage,

Runo Stromkirk // Krothuss, Lord of the Deep sea monsters -- Been wanting to do something with sea monster tribal for a long time, but it's really slow to come together. I just never really ended up devoting that much time to it. Simic value bores me; that's part of it. I was quite happy to see Runo printed for exactly that reason. Here's a sea monster deck I can really get behind.

Yennett, Cryptic Sovereign Sphinx tribal -- because it seems bizarre and therefore sufficiently up my alley.

Lynde, Cheerful Tormentor Curses -- seemed sufficiently janky and bizarre for my tastes, and would involve cards that I get to play precisely nowhere else.

Yurlok of Scorch Thrash mana burn and group slug -- the way I want to build the deck is pretty much guaranteed to be one giant deckbuilding error, with every way to overwhelm my opponents with mana I can cram in and some ways of making it a little more difficult to spend that mana, but I want to do it anyway, just because I think it would be an amusing novelty.

Reaper King Scarecrow Color Hate tribal -- no clones, no changelings, just scarecrows as far as the eye can see, and also leaning into the color changing and color dependent bits of some of the Lorwyn ones with color hate cards and things that change the colors of spells and permanents. Probably not very strong, hence why it was never high on my to-finish list, but I find the concept endlessly amusing, and I do want to finish building it at some point.
We actually have a couple of these decks in our meta. Runo is definitely a more interesting take on a sea monsters deck, and Yennett Sphinxes is pretty decent just on the back of being a pile of beefy fliers that draw you cards.

These are all cool deck ideas. Hopefully someone out there has built them and they're as awesome as we'd hoped.

Dragonlover
All my decks are here

folding_music
glitter pen on my mana crypt
Pronoun: they / them

Post by folding_music » 1 year ago

main thing I wanna build is an Aura-based Chishiro... I want the joy to be in deploying a lot of cheap auras to my guys and lands straight from my hand, doing less of a Whip Silk/Crown of Flames+enchantress thing and more of a unique folding_music.dec thing. since the tokens are hard to block and add up fast, the commander gives me a default play-style which I can essentially ignore while deck-building, so long as I stuff all my fave Auras in, making something more personal to me and less auto. I love enchanting and animating land and Chishiro's text definitely offers that as a secret route to victory! also I love the "modified" concept from Kamigawa: Cyberpunk Misunderstood, plus a lot of the commander-only cards printed in Chishiro's starter rule in interesting ways so I grabbed one pretty quick. Orochi Merge-Keeper in particular became a pet card of mine!

I can also play Aspect of Mongoose or Alpha Status without it sounding whiny. giggle

also my collection of green auras is strong, since I've had several enchantressy decks in a row, convinced myself to buy a Song of the Dryads and a Sprawl for Siona, etc. (I usually prefer just running cards I've opened recently or my old standbys from olden times) whereas my collection of equipment is sad, I haven't the sword of anything or anything else and think Equip 3 is a horrible line of text anyway.

thing holding me back is, mmm, several of the most interesting Auras I like are ancient (Betrothed of Fire would definitely marry Chishiro in particular, Instill Energy with Merge-Keeper is beautiful, plus that first wave of auras-that-come-back-to-hand-when-they-die were from Urza's block, as is Harmonic Convergence and Mark of Fury, and most of those cards haven't been reprinted more recently than that) and I'm running a separate micro-format which ends at Urza's Destiny, meaning I wanted my edh decks to use nothing before Masques, and I still haven't convinced myself to bend the rules.

BaronCappuccino
Answers: 1

Post by BaronCappuccino » 1 year ago

"Baron! What is best in life?"

"To abandon your newest deck idea, to see it deleted from your deck-builder, and to hear the lamentations of the friends you mentioned it to."

I only have a single deck at a time - it's a personal foible of mine, and like Star Wars Sith, immortals from Highlander, or contenders in the Game of Thrones, new upstarts tend to try and dismember the reigning deck and send it off to CardKingdom. So long as Baeloth//Giants holds a tenuous grip on its position, I'll never get around to any other deck, until I do. But, until that day, I'll perpetually succumb to cravings to build the idea of the moment. It'll just get deleted if it's not magnificent in some way. Right now, the angle new deck ideas are coming in fighting is that my current deck doesn't offer anything interesting to do - the curse of the Voltron. But, it does what it does well, and I've yet to build a deck that at least does that. My goal is to retire into a pet deck that only requires a card or two from new sets now and then. I don't know how that'll end.
Last edited by BaronCappuccino 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.

Kerrus

Post by Kerrus » 1 year ago

Honestly, most of the transformers decks. While they have potential certainly, many of them feel like their effects are just a touch too weak to be useful, or too narrow to build around beyond gimmicks.

Igzex

Post by Igzex » 1 year ago

One day I would love to make either of the Jodahs into a 5 color bishonen tribal deck. Unfortunately Magic the Gathering has a quality over quantity approach for them. I mean I'm glad team pretty boyz has cards like Tasigur, the Golden Fang, Oko, Thief of Crowns, and Yawgmoth, Thran Physician among them but new members are so few and far between.

ukkuhrmakhai
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by ukkuhrmakhai » 1 year ago

The Reality Chip : I love the card but as a commander it is just a worse version of Elsha of the Infinite and I already am putting together Elsha. The only places it wins are the cost and playing creatures and lands. I've thought about it as some sort of affinity deck that plays a bunch of cheap artifact creatures off the top but I've never built it.

Mizzix of the Izmagnus : X-Spells instant and sorcery only. It turns into storm no matter what I do and I don't want to play storm.

Kodama of the West Tree : Hydra tribal, mono green equipment or aggro all seem pretty fun but I never end up putting it together.

Ruiner

Post by Ruiner » 1 year ago

Jemolk wrote:
1 year ago
I had a Lynde deck together for a little while. I padded it out with things that feel curse-like such as Witch Hunt and Jinxed Choker. Ultimately it got really boring though because the Curses are mostly pretty bad and they never felt like a real win condition for the most part.

In theory it would be a cool deck if we just had some more impactful Curses to really lead to victory. I figure one or two more sets featuring Curses might get it there. I still have all of the core set aside to remake it someday.

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 1 year ago

Igzex wrote:
1 year ago
One day I would love to make either of the Jodahs into a 5 color bishonen tribal deck. Unfortunately Magic the Gathering has a quality over quantity approach for them. I mean I'm glad team pretty boyz has cards like Tasigur, the Golden Fang, Oko, Thief of Crowns, and Yawgmoth, Thran Physician among them but new members are so few and far between.
Dude this concept is sweet. I might make this, and then get some JoJo alters to really push the needle over the edge.

Also, don't forget Enthralling Victor, what a hunk!
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

Igzex

Post by Igzex » 1 year ago

TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
1 year ago
He's Bara not Bishonen. Pretty sure Bara tribal on the other hand would be rather simple to build.

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 1 year ago

Igzex wrote:
1 year ago
TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
1 year ago
He's Bara not Bishonen. Pretty sure Bara tribal on the other hand would be rather simple to build.
Ah, okay. A quick google has revealed the nature of the nuances! Bara tribal then! Or %$#%, maybe go handsome tribal and have it all.... Hm.
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

Hawk
Slayer of Threads

Post by Hawk » 1 year ago

At this point, I think I'll likely never get around to Wyll, Blade of Frontiers + Sword Coast Sailor "dice matters" with attractions. I didn't buy any Unfinity, didn't pull Wyll or Ancient Copper Dragon from my ~2 boxes of Battle for Baldur's Gate, and it's just too many singles for a deck that feels too janky, plus it has the "too narrow" problem - I am unlikely to run the Vexing Puzzlebox and attractions anywhere except Wyll, so if I hate the way the deck plays in practice it's a huge waste.

I'll also likely never get around to Breeches, Brazen Plunderer + Malcolm, Keen-Eyed Navigator pirates and treasures. I think it looks cute on paper, but feels overly unfun for my meta.

Not quiet ready to say I'll never get around to building Syrix, Carrier of the Flame for my wife but...it's been in the research phase for six months, so maybe I ought to call it...

duducrash
Still Learning

Post by duducrash » 1 year ago

When Tatsunari, Toad Rider was spoiled in mentioned in the unreleased thread "I'm going to build a very bad Tatsunari deck" but I didn't know how bad it would be. I've been trying to do something not so bad since. and It's been a humbling experience because it still sucks

cheonice
Death to Chronos.

Post by cheonice » 1 year ago

Classic GW Enchantress. I got most of the pieces together but... yeah... It feels too linear. I got though several iterations of Izzet Spellslingers that feel quite the same.
And my ongoing struggle to find a +1/+1 counter deck. Got all the cards, tried some commanders but was never satisfied.

PrimevalCommander

Post by PrimevalCommander » 1 year ago

Not unbuilt, but I did invest a couple hundred $$ into a Yawgmoth, Thran Physician deck with some undying combos. I played it 3-4 times, lost every one of them, then decided that the deck was, get this, too easy. Even though I lost all games, it just felt too boring to and uninteractive as combo was the primary win condition. A commander that could control the board and draw cards while doing so just seemed unchallenging and boring. I pulled Yawgmoth to go in the 99 of Karador, Ghost Chieftain and shelved the rest of the deck for the next time I attempt mono black. It may be my only deck with zero wins before being dismantled, but I just never wanted to play it.

Something that is back on my radar that may-or-may-not ever come to fruition is a revamped Scion of the Ur-Dragon deck using the new Ancient metalic dragons and all the mana producing dragons. Also seems very linear as a tutor commander, but my thought was to do a modular deck with a 30 dragon pile and 15 get randomly shuffled into the deck each game. This would increase variance and make the deck fresh each game instead of distilling down to the same dragon combination each game. I played Scion back in 2012, but the dragons were weak and the protection for the commander was lacking. We have MUCH better dragons now and a host of protection spells to keep Scion safe, so I thought it would be worth a try. I may proxy it up and try it for a couple games to see if it is something I would like.

Toshi
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

Post by Toshi » 1 year ago

A Zur the Enchanter deck.

I already have him sitting in my binder in 3 artworks and been considering anything from Arcane Adaptation, Astral Slide, Aura Voltron to Backgrounds and Sagas...

I think i hate tutoring from the command zone just too much, so it even spoils the one commander for me that'd enable some weird ass builds.

PrimevalCommander

Post by PrimevalCommander » 1 year ago

Toshi wrote:
1 year ago
I think i hate tutoring from the command zone just too much, so it even spoils the one commander for me that'd enable some weird ass builds.
I feel the same. Funny thing, I just built a Rocco, Cabaretti Caterer deck with a hidden non-creature commander, and am contemplating the Scion of the Ur-Dragon deck with the modular theme. So spontaneously now I'm interested in 2 tutor commanders despite my distaste for multi-tutoring in the command zone. But these two have sentimental value :grin:

Hazzenko

Post by Hazzenko » 1 year ago

I never really finished my Endrek Sahr, Master Breeder that turned into Ayara, First of Locthwain. I planned it like five years ago, picked some cards here and there, even started to alter some of the cards, but never really go any further. The cards still in my box, waiting for some love, but probably didn't will ever finish it.
Toshi wrote:
1 year ago
A Zur the Enchanter deck.
I already have him sitting in my binder in 3 artworks and been considering anything from Arcane Adaptation, Astral Slide, Aura Voltron to Backgrounds and Sagas...
May you use a similar idea that I have on my Kess, Dissident Mage: using only multicolored cards. This reduces a lot the options to use, but make it more interesting. My Kess focus on Cloven Casting, so it makes the deckbuilding more challenging and with good flaws, like few options on mass removal and counterspells.
Nonsense Grenzo || Kess || Mogis || Anje || Obosh || Xantcha || Infernal Kirin || Haunt || Ayara

Avacyn Believer
Faith Requires Sacrifice

Post by Avacyn Believer » 1 year ago

One deck I keep coming back to but have not yet built is Boros Aristocrats piloted by Archangel Avacyn // Avacyn, the Purifier. I love Boros and I love Avacyn, and this is an archetype that I think is crazy enough to surprise people and be fun to play. The premise is to use token generation and sacrifice outlets for benefits and to trigger Avacyn, then flicker her and do it again. With alternative wincons like OG Purphoros... basically mono red goblins with added white :rofl:

Then there is Transformation Rube Goldberg Machine, commander undecided but four colours at least. The deck is built on the idea to abuse Geier Reach Bandit // Vildin-Pack Alpha when transformed. Alongside effects like Arcane Adaptation you can transform any creature that ETBs, which I think could be fun.
Dragonlover wrote:
1 year ago
Eruth, Tormented Prophet - I actually got as far as making the decklist for this one. The idea was spellslinger voltron, so all the prowess and prowess adjacent triggers. I looked at the decklist, decided I'd hate keeping track of it all and shelved it.
I've recently built budget (€25) version of Eruth and it is lots of fun to play. I didn't consider Prowess triggers but I am curious how well it would work, because more often than not I run into problem of having random cards on the battlefield, not many of which can protect me from attacks. Definitely something to consider, so thanks for the idea!

Toshi
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

Post by Toshi » 1 year ago

Avacyn Believer wrote:
1 year ago
One deck I keep coming back to but have not yet built is Boros Aristocrats piloted by Archangel Avacyn // Avacyn, the Purifier. I love Boros and I love Avacyn, and this is an archetype that I think is crazy enough to surprise people and be fun to play.
As someone who actually built her, I can confirm this.
In case you feel like tempting yourself once more, you can find the list in my signature.

Avacyn Believer
Faith Requires Sacrifice

Post by Avacyn Believer » 1 year ago

Toshi wrote:
1 year ago
As someone who actually built her, I can confirm this.
In case you feel like tempting yourself once more, you can find the list in my signature.
I'll have a look, what's one more Boros deck!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”