Dunadain won't stop playing Voltron (Luxior Oathbreaker)

Dunadain
I like turtles
Answers: 2
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Dunadain » 1 year ago

I'm kind of known as the "voltron player" in my "meta". I think the vast majority of my decks AREN'T voltron, but considering the rest of my meta almost never plays voltron, I suppose it's well deserved.

A couple people have decided to give Oathbreaker another chance since it's now an official format, and while I spent a lot of time thinking about a Tyvar, Jubilant Brawler deck, I actually think playing "voltron" in Oathbreaker would be pretty funny and feed into the narrative that I'm the resident voltron player.

My first instinct was to use Gideon, Champion of Justice, Gideon Blackblade, Gideon of the Trials, Gideon, Ally of Zendikar, Gideon, Champion of Justice, Grand Master of Flowers, Gideon Jura, Gideon, Martial Paragon, Sarkhan, the Dragonspeaker, or Gideon, the Oathsworn and start swinging away.

This is still an option, but then I remembered that Luxior, Giada's Gift exists, and we can run a tutor as our signature spell, that opens up the options a lot.

So the potential commanders I'm looking at are:

Ajani, Caller of the Pride, 3MV is cheap, it gets functionally +3/+3 every turn with Luxior, Giada's Gift, and the -3 might be relevant in the late game when -3/-3 and double strike is worth it.

Dihada, Binder of Wills, extra mana, only +2 per turn, and the middle ability isn't relevant, but indestructible, vigilance, AND Lifelink is a tasty keyword soup.

Nahiri, the Harbinger, card filtering + emergency removal

Samut, the Tested, only +1 per turn, but doublestrike is busted.

Sorin, Vengeful Bloodlord, +2, lifelink, and a free ping each turn, none of these are that exciting individually, but the sum may be greater than its parts.

Teferi, Master of Time, +4 each turn cycle and filtering, but mono U's best Luxior, Giada's Gift tutor is Fabricate, which is a lot, plus I wonder how often you'll actually have all 4 turns.

The Wandering Emperor functionally +3, Flash, and emergency removal/blockers

Ajani, Mentor of Heroes Functionally +7 every turn, this one is gonna get big really fast. You can also dig for Aura/Creature/Planeswalkers if that's something you want to do, and I've always wanted to Ult this card. that ultimate is arguably the most timmy ability ever put on a card.

Huatli, Warrior Poet +2 and a lot of life gain.

Nissa, Ascended Animist Only +1, but increasingly big blockers everyturn

Kaya the Inexorable only +1, but built in recursion is neat.

Tevesh Szat, Doom of Fools +2, blockers and a killer ultimate

Ajani, Inspiring Leader 6 Mv is probably too much, but functionally +6 and removal are both good.

Ajani, Valiant Protector very similar, but it's two colors, so probably slightly better.

Nicol Bolas, Planeswalker is just a ridiculous card, but 8 Mana is probably too much.

That's... A lot of options, I think i've narrowed it down to Ajani, Caller of the Pride or Dihada, Binder of Wills, but if someone wants to champion another option, I'm all ears.

Ajani hits hard and fast, Dihada offers more stability with indestructible, lifelink, and vigilance.
All cards are bad if you try hard enough.

Important decks: Ebondeath, Dracolich, Zask, Phelddagriff
Other: Karrthus, Eris, Emiel, The Blessed, Ruhan, Kellan, Liesa, Galadriel, Orca, Sauron, Thantis, Rukarumel, Sisay, Stickfingers, Safana, Thantis, Dihada

Help me complete my JumpStart Cube!

Dunadain
I like turtles
Answers: 2
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Dunadain » 1 year ago

Alright, I decided to go Dihada, Behold the fruits of my labor:

I've played I think 4 games of OB in my life, and they were all years ago, so I don't really know what's up. Are mana rocks good? Should I still be running Board wipes? I remember The Elderspell being good, and I imagine Sword of Sinew and Steel has got to be good in a format where everyone has a planeswalker. So this is a complete stab in the dark

I decided to try Giver of Runes + Mother of Runes + Skrelv, Defector Mite. Protection and evasion and back-up bodies to hold equipment. They sound fine on paper, but I've never played them outside of Legacy Death and Taxes, so we'll see.

The deck should be pretty consistent, lots of redundancy, and 25 lands. Honestly it could probably run a couple fewer, but we'll see how it shakes loose as is.
All cards are bad if you try hard enough.

Important decks: Ebondeath, Dracolich, Zask, Phelddagriff
Other: Karrthus, Eris, Emiel, The Blessed, Ruhan, Kellan, Liesa, Galadriel, Orca, Sauron, Thantis, Rukarumel, Sisay, Stickfingers, Safana, Thantis, Dihada

Help me complete my JumpStart Cube!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”