Baba Lysaga, Night Witch: Turbo Bloom

TheGildedGoose
HONK HONK
Pronoun: any/all

Post by TheGildedGoose » 1 year ago

"Sell the kids for food"
- Nirvana, In Bloom

It's a spicy one today, folks. I was scrolling through commanders, looking for a casual, durdley deck with complex interactions I could pull out at a low power table and still have a good time with when I came across Baba Lysaga, Night Witch. I saw her when she was spoiled in CLB, like everyone else, and had a good laff, like everyone else, calling her "Baby Lasagna," and, like everyone else, promptly forgot she existed. Currently sitting at just under 700 decks on EDHREC, I think it's safe to say that she has had middling impact at best. So, how broken could she be?

The biggest problem I had with the deck was a win condition. I first went to an aristocrat theme, but found it too slow and clunky to be able to close games out reliably. Torment of Hailfire was next, but I fell asleep before being able to test it out. Well, what is the deck actually doing? Sacrificing lots of stuff, sure, but it also draws a lot of cards. You know what card likes drawing lots of cards?

Cadaverous Bloom does.

Being able to turn the dead cards in hand into mana to cast the hot spells in my hand is real good. When you combine it with ways to untap Baba Lysaga like Instill Energy, Thousand-Year Elixir, and Thornbite Staff, things can get a little nutty. They get especially nutty with Reassembling Skeleton and/or Genesis Chamber. You'll often burn through your entire deck, killing everyone else in the process. Even if you don't combo out, with the amount of random permanents this deck vomits out it's quite easy to just overwhelm the table with value until they slowly bleed out from ol' Baba's ability.

This is a very rough draft that's still working out the kinks. Generally, the game plan is to slowly advance your resources with permanents and Baba without overcommitting to the board until you're ready to overwhelm your opponents. I think it needs more protection, fewer token producers, and a stronger emphasis on lands, since I often found myself sacrificing lands in a pinch to draw cards.

Anyway, here she is.

Turbo Bloom

Commander:

Approximate Total Cost:

Last edited by TheGildedGoose 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.

Tags:

TheGildedGoose
HONK HONK

I'm too lazy to document all the changes I made, but I refined the concept quite a bit. As it turns out, dual-typed ramp creatures are super strong, so I cut the remaining regular rocks and put in all the 2mv dual-typed creatures like Plague Myr and Sanctum Weaver. By running so many creatures that tap for mana, Vitalize and Mobilize become viable. Their floor is simply untapping ol' Baby Lysaga, but the ceiling is being mana positive in addition. Spicy.

The end of turn/beginning of upkeep token generators like Bitterblossom and Fae Offering weren't really doing too much, as was Academy Manufactor, so they got the knife. The new Cult Conscript is a new recursive creature that pairs quite nicely with Cadaverous Bloom and is very easy to trigger.

Finally, I added in the aristocrat package to help speed up kills. Baba Lysaga herself is the primary win condition, taking significant chunks out of each player with multiple untap effects,

What started as a durdlefest casual deck has turned into a sleek killing machine. It's an absolute blast to pilot, and unlike most other aristocrat-style decks it's comparatively quick to play.

Dunadain
I like turtles
Answers: 2
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Dunadain » 1 year ago

Baba Lasagna

Low effort jokes aside, it seems like you got plenty of options for artifact and creature, but what's usually your third type?

Ashaya, Soul of the Wild gives all your creatures the land type, meaning that any artifact creature alone would be enough for baba
All cards are bad if you try hard enough.

Important decks: Ebondeath, Dracolich, Emiel, The Blessed, Phelddagriff
Other: Ruhan, Zask, Kellan, Liesa, Galadriel, Orca, Sauron, Thantis, Rukarumel, Sisay, Stickfingers, Safana, Thantis, Dihada

Help me complete my JumpStart Cube!

TheGildedGoose
HONK HONK

Dunadain wrote:
1 year ago
Baba Lasagna

Low effort jokes aside, it seems like you got plenty of options for artifact and creature, but what's usually your third type?
Mamma mia!

Most of the time it's a land, though the untap auras and, of course, Rancor or Aspect of Mongoose make great sac fodder. I used to run the drawback black draw enchantments to diversity my sac outlets, but found that focusing on the other types was more effective.

With all the draw and extra land drop cards I find myself often vomiting out lands.

duduprec

Post by duduprec » 1 year ago

Nice one! Going to follow the thread as I was thinking about a brew with her too!

Dunadain
I like turtles
Answers: 2

Post by Dunadain » 1 year ago

TheGildedGoose wrote:
1 year ago
Dunadain wrote:
1 year ago
Baba Lasagna

Mamma mia!

Most of the time it's a land, though the untap auras and, of course, Rancor or Aspect of Mongoose make great sac fodder. I used to run the drawback black draw enchantments to diversity my sac outlets, but found that focusing on the other types was more effective.

With all the draw and extra land drop cards I find myself often vomiting out lands.
I feel like there are a lot more auras that recur themselves that you could be using. Spreading Algae, Glistening Oil, Fallen Ideal, and Screams from Within. Some are better than others, but Spreading Algae looks fantastic.

If you're Ballsy enough Nefarious Lich, Lich, and Lich's Mastery will turn Baba's life gain into something actually useful.

How are the drain effects treating you? They seem like they'd be fairly low impact, but I suppose they ar3e just baba fodder when you don't want them?
All cards are bad if you try hard enough.

Important decks: Ebondeath, Dracolich, Emiel, The Blessed, Phelddagriff
Other: Ruhan, Zask, Kellan, Liesa, Galadriel, Orca, Sauron, Thantis, Rukarumel, Sisay, Stickfingers, Safana, Thantis, Dihada

Help me complete my JumpStart Cube!

TheGildedGoose
HONK HONK

Dunadain wrote:
1 year ago
I feel like there are a lot more auras that recur themselves that you could be using. Spreading Algae, Glistening Oil, Fallen Ideal, and Screams from Within. Some are better than others, but Spreading Algae looks fantastic.

If you're Ballsy enough Nefarious Lich, Lich, and Lich's Mastery will turn Baba's life gain into something actually useful.

How are the drain effects treating you? They seem like they'd be fairly low impact, but I suppose they ar3e just baba fodder when you don't want them?
I considered Spreading Algae but I was worried that it would be a dead draw too often without a target to enchant. Of those, I think Fallen Ideal is the best because it doubles as a sac outlet, but I worry that it's too mana intensive.

I am not ballsy.

They're a necessary evil, but I'm thinking a single copy of Wound Reflection could do just as much work and free up more engine space.

elvacin
Pronoun: he / him

Post by elvacin » 1 year ago

This is a very nice list, I will try it myself with very few modifications.
https://www.moxfield.com/decks/Aki6xck1j06fcSDMHi9I-g
One upgrade that I see very clearly is Syr Konrad instead of Vindictive Vampire, for just one mana this adds much more dmg.
(I tend to run very few lands, I probably should be doing 39 like you with a deck like this)
Thanks!

elvacin

Two great sacrifice fodder are Wishclaw talismand and Order of Nylea.
The first can be used to tutor, then break it to avoid retaliation.
The second is a very good ramp addition

Moonlighter
Lunatic

Post by Moonlighter » 1 year ago

Liking this deck a lot. Tested a game with it last night and felt like I need to get the turn order right, but in terms of sac fodder, using lands hurts. Wondering if maybe Shigeki, Jukai Visionary, Skola Grovedancer, or Tymaret, Chosen from Death might be good ways to get a little more types on the field. And just looking around, Tyvar, Jubilant Brawler has a +1 that does work, a static that lets us pump the Lasagna the turn it hits the field, and an 'ult' we don't hate, and works as an additional card type to sac. Also thinking Burgeoning could go nuts if we are saccing lands and we have crucible or ramunap on the field. I find Burgeoning tends to be best early game, but this deck could make some serious use of it in the later game - as pitching lands is an easy choice when Bloom is up and running, should we make it that far, and Burgeoning can also be sacced in the enchantment slot when we've gotten enough gas out of it. Thoughts?
Playing EDH: Alesha Who Smiles at Death; Baba Lysaga, Night Witch; Emiel the Blessed; Breena, the Demagogue; Xenagos, God of Revels; Seton, Krosan Protector; Phelddagrif.

Chromaticus

Post by Chromaticus » 1 year ago

I'm thinking about running Baba Lysaga, Night Witch im the Myrkul, Lord of Bones deck I'm whipping up. Creatures and enchantments will be easy to come by. Is she strong enough to wait a turn?

elvacin

Moonlighter wrote:
1 year ago
Liking this deck a lot. Tested a game with it last night and felt like I need to get the turn order right, but in terms of sac fodder, using lands hurts. Wondering if maybe Shigeki, Jukai Visionary, Skola Grovedancer, or Tymaret, Chosen from Death might be good ways to get a little more types on the field. And just looking around, Tyvar, Jubilant Brawler has a +1 that does work, a static that lets us pump the Lasagna the turn it hits the field, and an 'ult' we don't hate, and works as an additional card type to sac. Also thinking Burgeoning could go nuts if we are saccing lands and we have crucible or ramunap on the field. I find Burgeoning tends to be best early game, but this deck could make some serious use of it in the later game - as pitching lands is an easy choice when Bloom is up and running, should we make it that far, and Burgeoning can also be sacced in the enchantment slot when we've gotten enough gas out of it. Thoughts?
Tyvar is a must. Both passive and +1 work great on this deck.
Also, the new Phyrexia set brought Conduit of Worlds. I'm adding both to my deck and will tell you how it goes

TheGildedGoose
HONK HONK

Glad to see this deck is getting some attention, what, half a year after the fact? Oh well. Better late than never I suppose.
elvacin wrote:
1 year ago
This is a very nice list, I will try it myself with very few modifications.
https://www.moxfield.com/decks/Aki6xck1j06fcSDMHi9I-g
One upgrade that I see very clearly is Syr Konrad instead of Vindictive Vampire, for just one mana this adds much more dmg.
(I tend to run very few lands, I probably should be doing 39 like you with a deck like this)
Thanks!
elvacin wrote:
1 year ago
Two great sacrifice fodder are Wishclaw talismand and Order of Nylea.
The first can be used to tutor, then break it to avoid retaliation.
The second is a very good ramp addition
33 lands is waaaay too few. I wouldn't run that few lands in any deck that isn't a blisteringly fast cEDH deck, let alone a deck that tends to blow up its own lands.

Syr Konrad, the Grim is a better choice for sure. Ordeal of Nylea seems good, too, good catch.
Moonlighter wrote:
1 year ago
Tyvar, Jubilant Brawler is perfect for this deck; useful static ability with two great loyalty abilities all on a great permanent to sacrifice? Auto-include. The others I'm less sure about. Burgeoning is interesting, but it's one of those cards I tend to eschew because it can be dead in the late game. Here, with an abundance of card draw and land recursion, though, it could do some work at all stages of the game. I would definitely include it for testing at the very least.
Chromaticus wrote:
1 year ago
I'm thinking about running Baba Lysaga, Night Witch im the Myrkul, Lord of Bones deck I'm whipping up. Creatures and enchantments will be easy to come by. Is she strong enough to wait a turn?
I think she needs a deck built around her, really, otherwise she's just a card advantage engine that is difficult to take advantage of. If you're not explicitly abusing her activated ability or building around it I think you'd have to jump through too many hoops to make it work.
elvacin wrote:
1 year ago
Moonlighter wrote:
1 year ago
Tyvar is a must. Both passive and +1 work great on this deck.
Also, the new Phyrexia set brought Conduit of Worlds. I'm adding both to my deck and will tell you how it goes
Conduit of Worlds is another auto-include, yes.

Now I'm inspired to work on this list again.

Gorillajay

Post by Gorillajay » 1 year ago

I wonder if Squandered Resources would be good here, as another way to get fast mana and keep loops going.

Krensh

Post by Krensh » 1 year ago

I've been tinkering with a list for awhile, and mine is more focused on being grindy than explosive. I think your angle might be better, I may switch to that. Anyway, as a result, my tentative list has more recursive creatures:

Brood of Cockroaches
Ebondeath, Dracolich
Oathsworn Vampire
Persistent Specimen
Phytotitan
Silversmote Ghoul

And one thing you might want to consider - not sure how relevant this would be if you don't have more cards like I listed above - is Desecrated Tomb.

Also, I think I am going to be running at least a few of the recurring enchantments like Rancor, so I am also going to run Endless Wurm, feel free to steal this idea :)

It's wild to me that Academy Manufactor wasn't useful enough?!

elvacin

Other recent cards worth exploring:
Mishra's Foundry
Biotransference
Somehow, I feel that cards over 5MC are very hard to play in this deck, since lands are going to be sacced and you want to give fodder for Baba to user her ability

elvacin

Gorillajay wrote:
1 year ago
I wonder if Squandered Resources would be good here, as another way to get fast mana and keep loops going.
I feel it's too much land sac. I would add SR only if you're playing Natural Balance or similar.
What will suit this deck is converting cards in hand into mana, like Cadaverous Bloom does.
Anyone knows any other candidates?

Chromaticus

Post by Chromaticus » 1 year ago

Skirge Familiar is the only one that pops to mind.

elvacin

We have Bog Witch but it's not really impressive

elvacin

I was about to tell to replace Lightning Greaves with Swiftfoot boots, since you might want to target Baba Lysaga a lot, but then realize this combo exist:
https://commanderspellbook.com/combo/5050/

Moonlighter
Lunatic

Post by Moonlighter » 1 year ago

I am going to figure a bit of a rework on this to suit my playstyle and group a bit more. I keep getting railed by having too few resources in play to capitalize on what I've got. I think I need some of those cheaper recurrent enchantments, like Spreading Algae and Screams from Within, as both of those represent pretty solid enchantments. I also think Biotransference is going in, and I've already got Ashaya, Soul of the Wild in there, so if I do that, any creature is all three. I might add a sharper creature tutor package to be able to get Ashaya, but I don't know if that's strictly necessary. I also need more grave recursion. I keep having to pitch things that I really want (I had to pitch Crucible in two games where I would have really benefitted from it in order to get mana to survive).
Playing EDH: Alesha Who Smiles at Death; Baba Lysaga, Night Witch; Emiel the Blessed; Breena, the Demagogue; Xenagos, God of Revels; Seton, Krosan Protector; Phelddagrif.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”