Magda - Dwarves & Dragons

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin
Pronoun: he / him

Post by ISBPathfinder » 2 years ago

Lots of the random cards that just make treasure while doing something decent have really been adding up recently and it got me wondering if I couldn't pull off Magda as a insert treasure to get dragons out strategy. I love mono color decks and I really like some of the toolbox sort of things this idea might be able to do. Once it stores up a dragon tutor it can feel a little bit draw go responsive which is really cool.

Its possible I might have a little too much redundancy in some of my dragon toolbox but I figured I would start out a bit wide and if there are some I just never want I can cut them later. I might also need a little more draw. It might take a bit of testing to really get dialed in.

Decklist

COMMANDER (1)

ENCHANTMENT (4)

Approximate Total Cost:

Last edited by ISBPathfinder 2 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
[EDH] Vadrok List (Suicide Chads) | Evelyn List (Vamp Mill) | Sanwell List | Danitha List | Indominus List | Ratadrabik List

Tags:

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy
Answers: 1

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 2 years ago

This drck screams Goldspan Dragon
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

duducrash
Still Learning

Post by duducrash » 2 years ago

You are a much better deck brewer than I am, but arent you super super lite on actual dwarves?

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
2 years ago
This drck screams Goldspan Dragon
I have a hard time with Goldspan Dragon in that it doesn't seem like it transitions to commander in a positive way. In standard the threat of a 4/4 for 5 haste dragon is a lot more legitimate than in commander. It becomes a purely offensive move but with very limited scope of offensive capability given multiple 40 life opponents for this format. Upgrading treasures to sac for twice the mana is normally a good selling point in favor for him in this format but there is also the issue that the commander here is an alternative use for the treasure that I intend to utilize that gives some conflict to it. Beyond that it makes one treasure per turn. Its just not very explosive in most regards. Add in the fact that it is still rocking a $20 price tag with the fact that I really don't expect much out of it in this format and I have been leery to pick a copy up myself. I would probably value the card at about a $2 price tag as far as what I expect it to do in this format. Its been kept high by the fact that it is a played standard mythic but it rotates soon and if it drops in price I might pick one up later but I don't think it really expands to any play outside of standard so it will depend on if it has a price memory that keeps it up as far as my own intention to obtain one.

Its possible that it could do a bit more for decks that want to utilize treasure in the more traditional means. I could see it being a more serious consideration for a Ognis, the Dragon's Lash list for instance where it would have direct synergy with the commander allowing it to make two treasures on attack and that sort of deck likely utilizes the treasures for mana. I have just been sort of hard to sell on buying a Goldspan Dragon at their current prices and my overall expectation of it in this format isn't that high.
duducrash wrote:
2 years ago
You are a much better deck brewer than I am, but arent you super super lite on actual dwarves?
There are a few issues I have with going super deep on dwarves.
  • Lots of them aren't impressive. Some of their abilities are decent but on average we are talking 3 mana 1/1s with some tap activated ability here.
  • Some of my dragons kill all the dwarves. I felt I still wanted those dragons in the deck and felt that lowering the dwarf count was more appropriate.
  • The cards that create treasure are sort of dwarf substitutes in that I don't need to get to treasure count off of purely dwarves.
So, lets look real quick at some of the dwarves I didn't include that are higher up on my list of considerations assuming I want to increase the dwarf count:

Storm-Kiln Artist - 14 instant / sorcery spells right now feels low to expect more than one or two treasures assuming he lives but also he costs four mana which is a bit heavy handed for a deck that isn't heavy on instant and sorcery spells not to mention I don't really want to attack with this guy.
Torbran, Thane of Red Fell - He doesn't die to the dragon damage sweepers and even makes them more appealing. I could be sold on including him I was a bit so so on using him just because I am not really a go wide concept which tends to be more where he is good.
Dwarven Miner - The mana to activate is really high and he competes with when I need to cast my commander.
Dwarven Blastminer - Same as above with morph.
Mine Layer - I think the Dwarven Miner cards are more appealing personally.
Dwarven Warriors - The tap ability doesn't cost mana and it could help turn the commander sideways but I can't help but feel like this is slow and walks me into sweepers.
Dwarven Nomad - Same as above.
Bloodfire Dwarf - I like that its a one drop with a relivant ability. I think that a one damage sweep on demand can still be useful against tokens but it also unfortunately kills my commander and I have a harder time including it because of that. I do think that curving a one drop dwarf and then T2 Magda is appealing though and they could probably be thought of along the lines of having moxen in that they are good early but fall off as you draw them later. My issue with some tempo mana plays is I don't think I have enough draw to consistently draw these do nothing cheap dwarves later on.
Dwarven Grunt - I really like that its a one drop with evasion. It has some of the same concerns about card advantage that I have with most dwarves though.
Axgard Cavalry - Haste is decent it just falls at the same mana cost as my commander and lacks haste itself.

So I guess offhand Torbran, Thane of Red Fell and Dwarven Grunt seem decent still but I still have concerns about getting too high with my dwarf count as well as questioning what to cut. I could cut into some of my redundancy on the dragon front or something else in the deck. I could also see just getting to the point of testing and then circling back to address things based on the testing.
[EDH] Vadrok List (Suicide Chads) | Evelyn List (Vamp Mill) | Sanwell List | Danitha List | Indominus List | Ratadrabik List

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

Ok, fast forward I put this deck together and its great. I played it in 3ish games I think now and I believe I won all three games. While it is a mono red deck its tutor access gives it reactive elements and the ability to get card advantage and responses as needed which is something I am not too used to having in red. I actually felt like I was playing a white / blue type of deck with how many reactions I could have. At one point I popped off hard and someone pressured me with lethal commander forcing me to tutor and pop Perilous Vault which is why I included it which didn't feel great as I probably could have won the next turn but it also showed me a weakness in that I didn't have ETB removal for the most part which I plan to fix. From the games I had its possible I could want some topdeck manipulation or even a Scroll Rack to stop myself from drawing some things but I think I will hold off on adding them right now as there were some more fundamental things I wanted to try out but its possible I might explore that in the future.

Lets talk about Dwarves.... Ok, yes my dwarf count is still somewhat light. My fear in loading up on dwarves is how mediocre of a draw they can be later on and my fear is a little that if I fill my deck up with cheap dwarves that my card advantage might hurt for it. Its also possible though that I could load up on dwarves and add some more draw based artifacts to the deck. I am really not certain what direction I will go offhand but for now I will be bringing up my count a bit and see if I can't get some more experience with the deck.

DECK CHANGES:
  • Kher KeepArid Mesa increasing my access to tutor for Dwarven Mine which brings up my dwarf count while only adding some $$$ to the deck. It is a bad synergy add for Blood Sun but otherwise seems like a positive. I will have to watch this a bit as I did bring in Blood Sun to hate on fetchlands but also if anyone has an Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth / Yavimaya, Cradle of Growth it enables them to function.
  • Nykthos, Shrine to NyxBloodstained Mire increasing my access to tutor for Dwarven Mine.
  • MountainScalding Tarn increasing my access to tutor for Dwarven Mine.
  • MountainWooded Foothills increasing my access to tutor for Dwarven Mine.
  • Homeward PathVesuva Vesuva has a lot of play on my lands. I opted to use this one for its ability to clone Dwarven Mine's ETB. I could still bring in Thespian's Stage but I want to see how this functions first. I think a lot of my lands are fine in duplicate with where I stand now even things like Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle clone fairly nicely.
  • Steel HellkiteTorbran, Thane of Red Fell I felt like Steel Hellkite was a fairly low likelihood card to go get for me. Its job of sweeping tokens can be done with Balefire Dragon which mainly leaves it for random artifact / enchantment removal which is fairly low priority for me right now. I want to try out a few more dwarves in the deck for a bit.
  • Drakuseth, Maw of FlamesAncient Copper Dragon well, I probably have to make room for the new dragon that spits tokens everywhere in my dragon synergy treasure deck. I found that I was often more interested in being proactive with my tutors than I was in setting up removal for my opponents plays. I like that the expected average results of the new dragon hitting a player is like 1.5 dragon tutors worth of treasure.
  • Tyrant's FamiliarSpine of Ish Sah I found I really just needed something that was tutorable with an ETB effect that removed anything. I considered a few dragons like Spawn of Thraxes and Bogardan Hellkite but some of my fear with what I needed was the ability to nuke large single target threats. If an eldrazi or big voltrong commander come my way I need an option to tutor and I felt the best answer was Spine of Ish Sah for its nuke anything option. I was forced to use Perilous Vault on a large evasive commander in my games because I lacked something like this.
  • Sword of Fire and IceDwarven Grunt just trying out adding some more dwarves. I felt like the sword was always going to be a little odd and I added it in part as a safety measure to put on Magda so that I could do some of my damage sweeping dragons but I didn't think it was that impressive.
  • Gauntlet of MightTerror of the Peaks Gauntlet always felt like a filler because I own one kind of add. It really doesn't make a lot of sense for this deck to be running other than its mono red. Its a great card but ultimately its a card more for big mana generation / token swarm concepts. I do need mana with this deck I just don't really need this sort of effect. I am still not really sure on Terror but it offers some repeat removal options and it could be good if my token generation gets going.
  • Mizzium MortarsBloodfire Dwarf I thought about this one for some time but I have really good sweeping options if my treasure plan works and technically the dwarf can also be useful against some token tactics as well. I figured what the heck lets push dwarves a little harder and see how they go. I think that Mizzium is still a good card but if I can more consistently get treasures out faster its probably a better plan rather than having more consistency outside of the tutor capabilities of my deck. Using this logic I should probably also look at cutting Volcanic Torrent and I likely will but I want to do some more testing first.
Well, now I need to get some more testing. Unfortunately the family came back positive for having Covid so.... time to bunker down and wait for it to pass.

narglfrob
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by narglfrob » 2 years ago

Unfortunately, I think Vesuva copying Dwarven Mine will always enter tapped and hence never make a dwarf

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

narglfrob wrote:
2 years ago
Unfortunately, I think Vesuva copying Dwarven Mine will always enter tapped and hence never make a dwarf
Hu, good catch. I didn't actually notice that it had to enter untapped to make the dwarf. I knew that you had to have the mountains to get the token but I didn't notice that entering tapped or untapped was what actually made the token. Well............ I probably still run it for now as I have enough spicy other lands I don't really mind but it might shift me over to Thespian eventually. Might as well give it a shot and see what I think about it.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”