Volcanic Offering question

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin
Pronoun: he / him

Post by ISBPathfinder » 2 years ago

If I go to cast Volcanic Offering with Hinata, Dawn-Crowned in play, do I pay for it after the targets are chosen? I am mostly asking in the case that they pick my targets which would give it less targets overall.

I am totally confused if it works that way though as its possible I have one mana up but not three. It potentially has four targets but it also potentially just has two targets. Can someone help I am really confused here lol.

Accepted Answer

by WizardMN » 2 years ago
You can cast it and see what they choose for targets as normal. If you don't have the mana to pay for it, the spell will be rewound and go back to your hand.

Importantly, this does not mean you can keep trying to cast it trying to get them to choose new targets. At that point, the spell is known so just talk to the table before trying to cast it again and see if anyone is willing to help you out so you can cast the spell (very similarly to Assist). If no one is, and you can't come to an agreement on what to target, you will need to give up on casting it until you have the mana to pay for it.
Go to full post
[EDH] Vadrok List (Suicide Chads) | Evelyn List (Vamp Mill) | Sanwell List | Danitha List | Indominus List | Ratadrabik List

WizardMN
Answers: 132

Post by WizardMN » 2 years ago

You can cast it and see what they choose for targets as normal. If you don't have the mana to pay for it, the spell will be rewound and go back to your hand.

Importantly, this does not mean you can keep trying to cast it trying to get them to choose new targets. At that point, the spell is known so just talk to the table before trying to cast it again and see if anyone is willing to help you out so you can cast the spell (very similarly to Assist). If no one is, and you can't come to an agreement on what to target, you will need to give up on casting it until you have the mana to pay for it.

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

Post by ISBPathfinder » 2 years ago

WizardMN wrote:
2 years ago

I guess as a follow up question to this, if I do have the mana but don't like that they didn't choose additional targets do I have to pay for it. I get that it gets rewound if I can't afford to but am I forced to if I can afford it once I try?
[EDH] Vadrok List (Suicide Chads) | Evelyn List (Vamp Mill) | Sanwell List | Danitha List | Indominus List | Ratadrabik List

WizardMN
Answers: 132

Post by WizardMN » 2 years ago

You would be forced to, yes. You have announced the spell and need to complete casting it if you can. Anything else and you start bordering on, if not crossing into, cheating. Not liking the targets is not enough to warrant being able to reverse the spell.

Though, again, this is all solved via communication with the table. There is nothing against asking Player B if they can target certain things, or agreeing to target certain things and, if they don't want to play ball, moving onto Player C or D. You are completely free to tell the table what you want to do and why you want to do it. Just tell them you only want to pay {R} for the spell and see what they would target it if you did decide to cast it. However, if they backstab you and you are still able to pay the cost, you would need to do so. The game doesn't allow for a decision to be reversed solely because it did not turn out in your favor.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Rulings”