Archelos Wombo Combo Lands: Now With 33% More Wombo

kirkusjones
Disciple of Dumb
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by kirkusjones » 2 years ago

I've been tinkering around with a BUG lands build for a while, but can't seem to find something I like/a good focus. I can't decide if I want to swap Archelos, Lagoon Mystic for Tasigur, the Golden Fang and play something more controlling or try to go all in on big mana. I know I want a loam engine, but every time I've played the deck I feel like it does very little besides present an open target for people to attack because they're afraid of the expensive land base.

I've contemplated adding Hermit Druid or Thassa's Oracle or trying to win with a big Villainous Wealth, but maybe I should just play good stuff? I would like the deck to hang in higher level games, if anyone has any advice on helping scale the power level, I'd appreciate it. Open to any and all suggestions. Currently I have room to add five cards but I'm willing to go back to the drawing board on this one.

BUG Lands

Planeswalkers (1)

Approximate Total Cost:

Last edited by kirkusjones 2 years ago, edited 2 times in total.

Tags:

yeti1069
Pronoun: he / him

Post by yeti1069 » 2 years ago

You should try to clean up that decklist into categories to make it easier to digest and assess.

Without really diving into your card choices, I'd say that if you're looking to use your graveyard, dredge, control the game a bit, and win with a combo, Tasigur is probably better suited to your goals. Archelos can slow everything down a little, or speed you up a bit (and make some big plays), but it's nothing compared to the value engine of Tasigur.

Mookie
Answers: 48

Post by Mookie » 2 years ago

I'll highly recommend Tasigur if you're looking for a Sultai land / ramp strategy. Tasigur solves the classic ramp problem of having too much mana and nothing to spend it on, and he also works fantastically with Life from the Loam / Ramunap Excavator packages.

(I have a Tasigur primer that may be worth checking out if you're looking for ideas)

kirkusjones
Disciple of Dumb

Mookie wrote:
2 years ago
I'll highly recommend Tasigur if you're looking for a Sultai land / ramp strategy. Tasigur solves the classic ramp problem of having too much mana and nothing to spend it on, and he also works fantastically with Life from the Loam / Ramunap Excavator packages.

(I have a Tasigur primer that may be worth checking out if you're looking for ideas)
Thanks! I was perusing it a little earlier and definitely found some good info to help refine my focus.

pokken
Answers: 2
Pronoun: he / him

Post by pokken » 2 years ago

I had a build of this with Mimeoplasm and it was pretty sick synergy - he didn't require a particularly big support package to be really cool. It could have gone even leaner and leaned harder on the lands stuff. The lands strategy benefits from all the graveyard shenanigans but so does Mime.

https://deckbox.org/sets/2511960

kirkusjones
Disciple of Dumb

I have a lot to think about. I love the idea of Tasigur as a mana sink and a way to generate answers. DEFINITELY running Living Death and some of the other goodies from your Mimeoplasm list, Pokken.

kirkusjones
Disciple of Dumb

After doing some fiddling, I've come up with two lists. The Archelos one is wombo combo (but may be too much wombo) and the Tasigur one is more about taking the fast train to value town, with a little reanimation shenanigans and everyone's favorite dino-ooze. They're both very much still works in progress, and any and all feedback is welcomed. Because the core of the two decks are similar, I may actually build both and swap specific cards depending on what I feel like playing at the time.
SPOILER
Show
Hide
The Golden Fang Express to Value Town
Approximate Total Cost:

SPOILER
Show
Hide
Durdle Turdle

Planeswalkers (1)

Approximate Total Cost:

I can't decided if Ashaya, Soul of the Wild and Timber Protector in the Archelos list is too cute, but the prospect of being able to sacrifice a critter to Diabolic Intent, Altar of Dementia, Crop Rotation or Elvish Reclaimer and trigger The Gitrog Monster, Titania, Protector of Argoth and Slogurk, the Overslime is just so tempting.

I'm sure there are cards in the Tasigur list that are holdovers from Archelos and therefore not so hot (I'm looking at you, Gretchen Titchwillow), but they'll get pruned for stuff like Mana Reflection or Survival of the Fittest as I work out the kinks.

Big thanks to Mookie and Pokken for their help so far!

Please don't hesitate to chime in with suggestions or things I should definitely be running.

kirkusjones
Disciple of Dumb

Got in my first game with Tasigur last night. In retrospect, I should have played Archelos, as I overestimated the power levels of the decks I was playing against.

Three person pod, Beledros Witherbloom, Reyhan, Last of the Abzan + Ishai, Ojutai Dragonspeaker and me on Tasigur. I had a good start with Sensei's Divining Top, a bunch of lands and Rhystic Study. From about turn 4 onward, I felt very in control of the game, despite Ishai and Reyhan quickly growing to lethal size.

It reminded me of playing Legacy RUG Delver back when Innistrad first got released, with answers to everything at my fingertips and my threats outclassing pretty much anything my opponents could muster. Not a great test case, but damn, it felt like the deck just hummed.

Going to shift the focus of this thread to Archelos and impose upon Mookie's hospitality over in the Primer for further Tasigur developments.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”