Silumgar - Voltron Control?

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin
Pronoun: he / him

Post by ISBPathfinder » 3 years ago

So, I have always really liked Silumgar, the Drifting Death but more recently we have gotten a lot of clones that can copy legendaries profitably. I didn't catch onto this for a while but his token / utility hate effect ramps up so much with duplication. I have also wanted a deck that I could feel like I could bring out against combo decks but I don't play a lot of controlling blue decks traditionally.

I am not really sure on some of the hatebear concepts I went with. I didn't feel like I went too deep on any one of them but it makes me feel like some of the tutors can really give me a big diversity of options with several of the hatebear effects.

I went super weird on the landbase obviously to make use of Lashwrithe and Nightmare Lash but beyond those I also get to try to use Cabal Coffers which enables some big X stuff and expensive equipments. I have done this land unbalance thing before in the past but I guess it might be a little concerning how blue a lot of this deck looks at first glance. I guess we will see if its a problem or not.

Decklist

COMMANDER (1)

PLANESWALKER (1)

Approximate Total Cost:

Consideration List:
  • Painful Quandary - I really love this card in control decks and it can really chew up some of the heavy draw / cantrips style of decks.
  • Lifegain - I am a bit concerned by my own lack of lifegain. I could maybe run Loxodon Warhammer or maybe some black options like Exsanguinate / Crypt Incursion
  • More Counterspells - My counters list is ok but if I have to do a counter war vs a combo deck it might not be enough.
  • More Spot Removal - I could run more edicts or even just cheap interaction.
  • Phyrexian Arena / Necropotence - Both are reasonable draw effects. I just don't know if I need them yet. Maybe after some testing we can see how the draw goes.
Last edited by ISBPathfinder 3 years ago, edited 3 times in total.
[EDH] Vadrok List (Suicide Chads) | Evelyn List (Vamp Mill) | Sanwell List | Danitha List | Indominus List | Ratadrabik List

Tags:

RowanKeltizar
Firemind

Post by RowanKeltizar » 3 years ago

I like the idea of building around commanders like this but never seem to get around to it. This one is pretty unique.

Maskwood Nexus turns everything you control into dragons

I would personally try to run more actual dragons in the deck. Not exactly tribal, but close? It would mean you could run things like Urza's Incubator Not saying that's the only way to build it, I know you are going for the copy commander strategy but there are a handful of decent dragons in these colors:

Icefall Regent has done some work in my playgroup

Steel Hellkite could be in here.

Catacomb Dragon has some synergy.

Boneyard Scourge might be a good inclusion although you do run the black Leyline, so maybe not

I've always wanted to find a place for Keiga, the Tide Star. Maybe this is it.

Skithiryx, the Blight Dragon - because, yeah infect kills people.

No Silumgar's Command ? For flavor?

Toxic Deluge and Black Sun's Zenith could be run as well.

Revel in Riches could be good here too, and on theme ;) Black Market too maybe.

I think it would be cool to have a couple enchantments that dropped everybody's PT, so Silumgar hits harder and is able to kill bigger stuff.

Engineered Plague hates on tribal decks or just elf mana dorks

Illness in the Ranks hates on all tokens

And of course there is Night of Souls' Betrayal

I know you don't have any synergy with auras, but Helm of the Ghastlord might be neat here. Just a pet card of mine
WRBKaalia, Zenith Seeker - Certified Air Raid Material
WBElenda, the Dusk Rose - Drain and Gain
WRAurelia, the Warleader - Tokens/Equipment
URNiv-Mizzet, Parun - Controlled Burn primer
BRGHenzie, "Toolbox" Torre - Creature Feature
BRGSoul of Windgrace - Lands Matter
RGWGishath, Sun's Avatar - I'M YOUR DADDY
GWUBAtraxa, Praetors' Voice - Artifact Stax Beatdown
Budget Starter Decks
UBSygg, River Cutthroat
WU Shorikai, Genesis Engine

Moonlighter
Lunatic

Post by Moonlighter » 3 years ago

I know you already have a Sliver/changeling deck, but Changeling Outcast really feels like he'd have a solid home here. Just an easy way to get a a -1/-1 going without having to worry about blockers. I know he doesn't multiply your effect, but at least it won't cause @pokken to try to kill you for running Hullbreacher.
Playing EDH: Alesha Who Smiles at Death; Baba Lysaga, Night Witch; Emiel the Blessed; Breena, the Demagogue; Xenagos, God of Revels; Seton, Krosan Protector; Phelddagrif.

narglfrob
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by narglfrob » 3 years ago

Here is my Zareth San Dimir Voltron control deck that I am currently trying out. Lots of ideas in here I think you might be able to draw inspiration from, I have taken some from your list.

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

RowanKeltizar wrote:
3 years ago
I like the idea of building around commanders like this but never seem to get around to it. This one is pretty unique.

Maskwood Nexus turns everything you control into dragons

I would personally try to run more actual dragons in the deck. Not exactly tribal, but close? It would mean you could run things like Urza's Incubator Not saying that's the only way to build it, I know you are going for the copy commander strategy but there are a handful of decent dragons in these colors:

Icefall Regent has done some work in my playgroup

Steel Hellkite could be in here.

Catacomb Dragon has some synergy.

Boneyard Scourge might be a good inclusion although you do run the black Leyline, so maybe not

I've always wanted to find a place for Keiga, the Tide Star. Maybe this is it.

Skithiryx, the Blight Dragon - because, yeah infect kills people.

No Silumgar's Command ? For flavor?

Toxic Deluge and Black Sun's Zenith could be run as well.

Revel in Riches could be good here too, and on theme ;) Black Market too maybe.

I think it would be cool to have a couple enchantments that dropped everybody's PT, so Silumgar hits harder and is able to kill bigger stuff.

Engineered Plague hates on tribal decks or just elf mana dorks

Illness in the Ranks hates on all tokens

And of course there is Night of Souls' Betrayal

I know you don't have any synergy with auras, but Helm of the Ghastlord might be neat here. Just a pet card of mine
Additional Dragons - I think its fine if you really want any specific dragons but I think generally speaking you get a lot more value from the silumgar clones than you will additional dragons. In my mind this comes down to running more tutors / draw probably goes further than more dragons do. I didn't go that far into tutotrs beyond the ones that generally are good but you could run transmute cards, Beseech the Queen, Grim Tutor, Imperial Seal, Lim-Dul's Vault to name a few I didn't go into running.

Some of why I didn't go super far into more dragons is just that I think there are toughness thresholds that are powerful to hit when it comes to shrinking and I think the first two are huge, the third is going to rope in a bunch of random commanders, then there is somewhat of a big blank from 4 and 5 where it probably doesn't matter much to six where you start killing titans. I think that a clone of silumgar is just a lot more powerful than a random dragon so personally I would be more likely to run more means of getting a clone than I would be for running random dragons that would inflate the curve of the deck more.

Maskwood Nexus - I don't run that many creatures and the cost to play and make the changelings with this isn't that cheap. I honestly haven't been impressed by this card yet but I do think that it could fit in the right deck, I just don't think this is that deck.

Urza's Incubator - Whenever it comes to cost reduction there is the question of what the average value from it per turn is. I for example run Urza's Incubator in my tribal wizard Neban deck because it draws cards well and it on average can play multiple wizards in a turn. Cost reduction really comes down to how frequently you are casting something of that type and how much mana / turn rotation its going to save you. Its true that I could use it as a psudo Worn Powerstone for my commander but once my commander is in play it wouldn't do anything without more dragons. On the otherhand I can still use Worn Powerstone to throw about spells. I really wasn't aiming for a tribal deck with this concept.

Silumgar's Command - Its just...... kind of a bad spell lol.

Toxic Deluge and Black Sun's Zenith - I had Toxic in the list but I ended up cutting it somewhat late just because I had several means of sweeping. I opted to keep the Pestilence enchantments instead in part because they can be used at instant speed or in addition to my commander and they are harder to kill off given that my commander can easily keep them alive. Toxic is a good sweeper though and I almost kept it in but I also felt like with the amount of chaff killing effects I have in the list (from commander) I didn't need as many sweeper effects. If anything I was contemplating if I wanted more spot removal / edicts in the list but I had to make a number of hard cuts at the end to get to 100 cards. Its possible that the list could adjust in a number of ways assuming I get some testing in with it.

Revel in Riches - Its fine, I just prefer to ramp sooner. Its also very opponent reliant in how it performs which I am not a big fan of and it costs enough and needs a follow up that I don't find it too easy to make very good use of it.

Other Shrinkage - I considered it but I felt like the Pestilence effects were more versatile and could be scaled as I needed them. I also think that given my commander selection to some degree a lot of these decks are already going to be in a lot of trouble so I didn't see a need to devote something as specific as the ones you mentioned to this role.

Helm of the Ghastlord - I think any form of Curiosity is probably fine but not amazing. They rely on getting my commander into play and then turning sideways with him which just can take some amount of time. I often don't want to have to be that set up before I can get my card draw going is all. The fact that this one gives some buffing is nice but I don't think its enough that I would be sold on it.
Moonlighter wrote:
3 years ago
I know you already have a Sliver/changeling deck, but Changeling Outcast really feels like he'd have a solid home here. Just an easy way to get a a -1/-1 going without having to worry about blockers. I know he doesn't multiply your effect, but at least it won't cause @pokken to try to kill you for running Hullbreacher.
Changelings - I considered it. It would give for a faster effect and the option to maybe scale more triggers. But in the same vein, ramping, giving haste, copying the commander all seemed like they contributed to the same thing but left me with less...... bad do nothing cards. For example I could run a Jeweled Lotus instead of a random changeling and being three mana ahead of curve is far more likely to do a lot more than the changeling ever would for me.

Having built the changeling deck I know a lot about how little value the changelings can have. They are really really bad card advantage and even with some cross over concepts I just don't see the value in running them in a silumgar deck. They would give me a cheaper dragon but a lot of the dragons I find to be over costed changelings with some extra ability stapled on. My current thought is mostly to not go into either much.

Hullbreacher - I would love for this card to be banned. That said...... someone else played one of these out last week and it was a huge pain in the ass. Granted, instead of it dying..... that player got hit hard by Prossh, Skyraider of Kher to unlock his skullclamp. I think this card is going to draw some hate but I also own one and I haven't put it in any deck yet.
narglfrob wrote:
3 years ago
Here is my Zareth San Dimir Voltron control deck that I am currently trying out. Lots of ideas in here I think you might be able to draw inspiration from, I have taken some from your list.
Cool list. I contemplated running him in my changeling deck but I was going to have issues with giving him evasion beyond the first turn lol. You might consider Zephid's Embrace too. It can be a bit of a bugger for additional buffs but its nice in that its a one card evasion / pump / protect effect.

Evacuation could possibly turn into Aetherspouts. I have been a little leery on Evacuation for a while given that it bounces your own things as well. It can also suck against ETB tactics.

Its interesting that you don't have much ramp / rogues in the list either with your commander. I hate recommending it anymore because its price tag has gotten really dumb but a Mana Vault would be really nice for curving your commander in. There was a time that that suggestion was $5 :dizzy:

It also might be worth having more Strip Mine effects in the deck just in case you come across a maze effect. Whenever I consider voltron tactics on a non hexrpoof commander anymore I tend to push harder on having strip mines. I see you have a Tectonic Edge but it might be worth giving up one or more of your other utility effects to get additional copies. Homeward Path also might be something to consider for the similar reasons.
[EDH] Vadrok List (Suicide Chads) | Evelyn List (Vamp Mill) | Sanwell List | Danitha List | Indominus List | Ratadrabik List

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 3 years ago

ISBPathfinder wrote:
3 years ago
Hullbreacher - I would love for this card to be banned. That said...... someone else played one of these out last week and it was a huge pain in the ass.
Sadly one of the best responses to Hullbreacher is to play your own. It's why I have one in Ephara (and also Sygg, although that's for the hilarious Intuition pile I run there with Dread Return, Echo of Eons and Hullbreacher )

That said I think it's pretty medium in this deck without Time Spiral effects.

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

pokken wrote:
3 years ago
ISBPathfinder wrote:
3 years ago
Hullbreacher - I would love for this card to be banned. That said...... someone else played one of these out last week and it was a huge pain in the ass.
Sadly one of the best responses to Hullbreacher is to play your own. It's why I have one in Ephara (and also Sygg, although that's for the hilarious Intuition pile I run there with Dread Return, Echo of Eons and Hullbreacher )

That said I think it's pretty medium in this deck without Time Spiral effects.
I actually don't think I would be willing to play it alongside wheels. My meta is heavy on drawing cards though and it can serve as ramp to my six drop commander while also letting me hold up mana / responses. I think it will do fine. I really don't want it to be any better than what it does on its own.

PLZ PLZ PLZ ban his ass.

narglfrob
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by narglfrob » 3 years ago

ISBPathfinder wrote:
3 years ago
Cool list. I contemplated running him in my changeling deck but I was going to have issues with giving him evasion beyond the first turn lol. You might consider Zephid's Embrace too. It can be a bit of a bugger for additional buffs but its nice in that its a one card evasion / pump / protect effect.

Evacuation could possibly turn into Aetherspouts. I have been a little leery on Evacuation for a while given that it bounces your own things as well. It can also suck against ETB tactics.

Its interesting that you don't have much ramp / rogues in the list either with your commander. I hate recommending it anymore because its price tag has gotten really dumb but a Mana Vault would be really nice for curving your commander in. There was a time that that suggestion was $5 :dizzy:

It also might be worth having more Strip Mine effects in the deck just in case you come across a maze effect. Whenever I consider voltron tactics on a non hexrpoof commander anymore I tend to push harder on having strip mines. I see you have a Tectonic Edge but it might be worth giving up one or more of your other utility effects to get additional copies. Homeward Path also might be something to consider for the similar reasons.
Thanks for the ideas, some cool ones to mull over, Zephid's Embrace and Aetherspouts are certainly worth consideration (although the former is competing with Whispersilk Cloak that accomplishes much the same at a similar mana cost (1 more, but broken up over two turns) with the benefit of being more resilient.

Lack of ramp is currently an experiment / personal choice. The decks objective is to keep a low threat profile, so it wants to avoid ramping aggresivly, this is coupled with the fact that answers tend to be low mana cost. Also, Zareth San isn't always great to turbo out since there aren't high value targets in graveyard's yet, and I only want to play him after a) there is good stuff in graveyards and b) their are higher threat permanents in play to draw peoples removal (so I don't have to use my own interaction to keep him alive).

Good call on the Strip Mine effects, I should add more.

Regarding Rogues, note that Zareth San's ability is not like Yuriko, it does not work from the command zone. Hence rogues don't add much to the deck in my opinion (bouncing Zareth San back to hand is too many hoops to jump through).

Back on topic to Silumgar: You made your case against changelings (which I largely agree with) which is (if I were to summarize) that the opportunity cost of running Changelings is too high. Would, however, Mutavault be the exception, since its opportunity cost is so much lower? It can stick around and he a land and, when the opportunity arises, you can pay {2} and swing in with an extra dragon to get over some important toughness threshold of your opponents.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”