How to not combo with Glorious Protector, LOL

Dunadain
I like turtles
Answers: 2
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Dunadain » 3 years ago

I'm making an Emiel edh deck and it's been a lot of fun, but flicker effects seem to go infinite if I look at them funny. I'm ambivalent on the topic of Combos, but for this deck, I'd rather keep them out.

I've Removed most combos by taking out any possible payoff cards, Flickerwisp and Restoration Angel can blick each other for all eternity, but since I don't have a Blessed Sanctuary or a Soul Warden, who cares?

Problem is Glorious Protector, It's a really good card, so I don't want to cut it, but the fact that it can exile multiple creatures means it can exile Flickerwisp and Hornet Queen (or literally any etb effect for infinite of whatever that ETB is)

I could also cut Flickerwisp, the other flicker effects I have don't actually combo I'm pretty sure. (Charming Prince wouldn't bring it back until EOT, Restoration Angel can't be exiled with Glorious Protector because Restoration Angel is an angel, Eerie Interlude isn't a creature, Emiel the Blessed needs mana to continue flickering, and the last couple effects are bounce effects, not flicker effects). First of all, tell me if I'm right that all those other cards don't combo. But even if it does work, Flickerwisp is also a really good card I'd rather not cut, lol.

Something I've been considering is setting a rule for myself when I play the deck: If Glorious Protector's ETB and any other ability are put on the stack at the same time, I will put Glorious Protector's ability on the bottom of the stack.

Which brings me to my next two questions:

Does this rule actually keep Glorious Protector and Flickerwisp (plus some payoff ETB) from going infinite (stack is hard for me, lol)?

Does this rule still keep Glorious Protector from going infinite if I have Flickerwisp, Glorious Protector, AND Restoration Angel (plus some payoff ETB)?

Oh great and wise internet, hear my plea, for Magic rules are hard, lol.

EDIT!

Yes I know, I'm dumb. I meant Felidar Guardian, not Flickerwisp.
All cards are bad if you try hard enough.

Important decks: Ebondeath, Dracolich, Zask, Phelddagriff
Other: Karrthus, Eris, Emiel, The Blessed, Ruhan, Kellan, Liesa, Galadriel, Orca, Sauron, Thantis, Rukarumel, Sisay, Stickfingers, Safana, Thantis, Dihada

Help me complete my JumpStart Cube!

WizardMN
Answers: 132
Pronoun: he / him

Post by WizardMN » 3 years ago

There seems to be a lot of "fluff" here so let me just make sure I understand the question. You are wondering if Glorious Protector + Felidar Guardian + Restoration Angel is infinite?

First, it is important to note that Protector's ability is a may so you can simply choose not to use it or narrow the scope of its use. Also, you already pointed out that Guardian and Restoration Angel is "infinite" so I am not sure what the concern is over Protector. But, with that being said, let's see what Protector and Guardian can do (I will ignore Resto since I am not sure what it adds here).

If Guardian is on the field and you cast Protector to exile Guardian, that's it. Nothing more happens. Guardian is exiled until Protector leaves. So that is pretty straightforward.

If Protector is on the field and you cast Guardian to exile Protector the Protector enters and exiles Guardian same as above. The Guardian stays exiled and nothing more happens.

I guess I really don't see where the concern is. Are you able to explain more about what lines you are expecting are possible with Guardian and Protector that would make this "infinite"?

Dunadain
I like turtles
Answers: 2
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Dunadain » 3 years ago

The combo happens(I think) when you flicker Glorious Protector while Felidar Guardian is "under" Glorious Protector (you'll need a third flicker to get the combo going, presumably Emiel, the Blessed)
All cards are bad if you try hard enough.

Important decks: Ebondeath, Dracolich, Zask, Phelddagriff
Other: Karrthus, Eris, Emiel, The Blessed, Ruhan, Kellan, Liesa, Galadriel, Orca, Sauron, Thantis, Rukarumel, Sisay, Stickfingers, Safana, Thantis, Dihada

Help me complete my JumpStart Cube!

WizardMN
Answers: 132
Pronoun: he / him

Post by WizardMN » 3 years ago

Ok, sure. So, you do that and Guardian returns and Protector returns right after that. You now have two triggers on the stack (one from Guardian and one from Protector). Protector resolves first and exiles Guardian and the Guardian trigger resolves to exile and return the Protector. The Protector enters again and the Guardian enters again and you continue the loop. by ensuring the Protector trigger resolves first each time.

So, yes, if you have the Protector trigger resolve last in this sequence it won't do anything if the Guardian trigger resolves first and exiles the Protector first. The Protector returns and can exile stuff but there is no longer a waiting Guardian trigger to continue the loop.

So, it seems that having the Protector trigger resolve last in this scenario does stop your loop. But, again, if you don't want to go infinite, just don't. Nothing about the Protector is mandatory.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Rulings”