Lotus Vale Entering Question

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin
Pronoun: he / him

Post by ISBPathfinder » 3 years ago

With Lotus Vale, I understand that its some sort of replacement effect or something that happens before it enters. I just wanted to check if this uses the stack or not as a question if I could stifle its land sac ability or not. Lands don't normally use the stack so I was left a bit unsure if a stifle effect could work with Lotus Vale where as I understand it does with Lotus Field being an ETB after the fact effect.

Accepted Answer

by WizardMN » 3 years ago
You are right about Lotus Field having a trigger which can be stifled. And you are absolutely correct on Lotus Vale using a replacement effect.

Which means that no, you cannot Stifle the "as it enters" effect of Vale since Replacement Effects don't use the stack. You will play (or otherwise put onto the battlefield) the Vale and then immediately deal with the Replacement effect. There is no opportunity to take an action before that is dealt with.
Go to full post
[EDH] Vadrok List (Suicide Chads) | Evelyn List (Vamp Mill) | Sanwell List | Danitha List | Indominus List | Ratadrabik List

WizardMN
Answers: 128

Post by WizardMN » 3 years ago

You are right about Lotus Field having a trigger which can be stifled. And you are absolutely correct on Lotus Vale using a replacement effect.

Which means that no, you cannot Stifle the "as it enters" effect of Vale since Replacement Effects don't use the stack. You will play (or otherwise put onto the battlefield) the Vale and then immediately deal with the Replacement effect. There is no opportunity to take an action before that is dealt with.

Argus
Answers: 53

Post by Argus » 3 years ago

ISBPathfinder wrote:
3 years ago
I just wanted to check if this uses the stack or not
No. It's not a spell, it's not an activated ability, it's not a triggered ability. Replacement effects don't use the stack.
405. Stack
405.1. When a spell is cast, the physical card is put on the stack (see rule 601.2a). When an ability is activated or triggers, it goes on top of the stack without any card associated with it (see rules 602.2a and 603.3).
405.2. The stack keeps track of the order that spells and/or abilities were added to it. Each time an object is put on the stack, it's put on top of all objects already there.

405.6. Some things that happen during the game don't use the stack.
405.6a Effects don't go on the stack; they're the result of spells and abilities resolving. Effects may create delayed triggered abilities, however, and these may go on the stack when they trigger (see rule 603.7).
ISBPathfinder wrote:
3 years ago
as a question if I could stifle its land sac ability or not.
No, "If Lotus Vale would enter the battlefield, sacrifice two untapped lands instead. If you do, put Lotus Vale onto the battlefield. If you don't, put it into its owner's graveyard." is neither an activated ability nor a triggered ability, so it can not be the target of Stifle.
602. Activating Activated Abilities
602.1. Activated abilities have a cost and an effect. They are written as "[Cost]: [Effect.] [Activation instructions (if any).]"

603. Handling Triggered Abilities
603.1. Triggered abilities have a trigger condition and an effect. They are written as "[When/Whenever/At] [trigger condition or event], [effect]. [Instructions (if any).]"
ISBPathfinder wrote:
3 years ago
Lands don't normally use the stack so I was left a bit unsure if a stifle effect could work with Lotus Vale where as I understand it does with Lotus Field being an ETB after the fact effect.
"When Lotus Field enters the battlefield, sacrifice two lands." is a triggered ability and can be countered by Stifle.
Why bother with mere rulings when so many answers can be found in the Rules?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Rulings”