Simic Kellan Question

Dunadain
I like turtles
Answers: 2
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Dunadain » 3 months ago

If I target my own Darksteel Citadel with Kellan, Inquisitive Prodigy's attack trigger, do I draw a card?

I was pretty sure the answer was yes, but when I googled it to make sure, the only answer I saw was a reddit post where the only response said that you DIDN'T draw the card, and now I'm second guessing myself.

Accepted Answer

by WizardMN » 3 months ago
The example that thread provided to suggest you don't draw the card is Acolyte Hybrid but that has a clause specifically looking to see if it was destroyed. Which isn't the same here. The other example, which supports drawing a card, was related to a simple rechecking of legal targets which also isn't exactly the same.

But, yes, you will draw the card. The text doesn't say that a condition on drawing a card is that it was destroyed. Only that you controlled the target. The wording is a bit weird since it does assume it is destroyed (hence the past tense) but you did indeed control it. The fact that you still do isn't going to stop the condition of "if you controlled it" from being met.
Go to full post
All cards are bad if you try hard enough.

Important decks: Ebondeath, Dracolich, Emiel, The Blessed, Phelddagriff
Other: Ruhan, Zask, Kellan, Liesa, Galadriel, Orca, Sauron, Thantis, Rukarumel, Sisay, Stickfingers, Safana, Thantis, Dihada

Help me complete my JumpStart Cube!

WizardMN
Answers: 126
Pronoun: he / him

Post by WizardMN » 3 months ago

The example that thread provided to suggest you don't draw the card is Acolyte Hybrid but that has a clause specifically looking to see if it was destroyed. Which isn't the same here. The other example, which supports drawing a card, was related to a simple rechecking of legal targets which also isn't exactly the same.

But, yes, you will draw the card. The text doesn't say that a condition on drawing a card is that it was destroyed. Only that you controlled the target. The wording is a bit weird since it does assume it is destroyed (hence the past tense) but you did indeed control it. The fact that you still do isn't going to stop the condition of "if you controlled it" from being met.

Dunadain
I like turtles
Answers: 2
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Dunadain » 3 months ago

Thanks, my trust in internet strangers falls further every day.
All cards are bad if you try hard enough.

Important decks: Ebondeath, Dracolich, Emiel, The Blessed, Phelddagriff
Other: Ruhan, Zask, Kellan, Liesa, Galadriel, Orca, Sauron, Thantis, Rukarumel, Sisay, Stickfingers, Safana, Thantis, Dihada

Help me complete my JumpStart Cube!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Rulings”