Death Triggers Question

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin
Pronoun: he / him

Post by ISBPathfinder » 2 months ago

If I have a Ratadrabik of Urborg in play with Gandalf the White, Drivnod, Carnage Dominus, or Teysa Karlov do I get two triggers of Ratadrabik if the source of the double death triggers dies or is sacrificed? I assume I do but it feels a little odd being that its sort of a static doubling that stops being in play before the trigger results. I know things themselves die it just seems kind of odd.

EDIT: To specify I am asking about just a board state of Ratadrabik of Urborg with 1x of any of the three I mentioned. I mentioned all three only to verify that all three of them have the same result.

Accepted Answer

by WizardMN » 2 months ago
I had to read your question a couple times to be sure I understood and I am not sure I totally do. I think you are asking "If Teysa dies, will that cause Ratadrabik to trigger twice?" If so, the answer is yes. This is the ruling on Gatherer:

If a creature dying at the same time as Teysa (including Teysa itself dying) causes a triggered ability of a permanent you control to trigger, that ability triggers an additional time.

This is because "dying" looks back in time to see what should trigger. It is the same reason the tokens from Dance with Devils can trigger when they die. It looks back in time to before they died to see if anything should trigger. Teysa does the same and, in that before-times, she was still on the field to affect the ability of Ratadrabik.
Go to full post
[EDH] Vadrok List (Suicide Chads) | Evelyn List (Vamp Mill) | Sanwell List | Danitha List | Indominus List | Ratadrabik List

WizardMN
Answers: 126

Post by WizardMN » 2 months ago

I had to read your question a couple times to be sure I understood and I am not sure I totally do. I think you are asking "If Teysa dies, will that cause Ratadrabik to trigger twice?" If so, the answer is yes. This is the ruling on Gatherer:

If a creature dying at the same time as Teysa (including Teysa itself dying) causes a triggered ability of a permanent you control to trigger, that ability triggers an additional time.

This is because "dying" looks back in time to see what should trigger. It is the same reason the tokens from Dance with Devils can trigger when they die. It looks back in time to before they died to see if anything should trigger. Teysa does the same and, in that before-times, she was still on the field to affect the ability of Ratadrabik.

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

Post by ISBPathfinder » 2 months ago

Thanks that is what I thought but it seemed a bit odd being a static ability. It makes sense though when you explain that it looks back at when it was in play to determine the death triggers that clears things up.
[EDH] Vadrok List (Suicide Chads) | Evelyn List (Vamp Mill) | Sanwell List | Danitha List | Indominus List | Ratadrabik List

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Rulings”